Paul Scholes the pundit

snk123

Is he actually the only ex-United player pundit that has the balls to criticize Ole? Finally! Absolutely spot on on everything.
Been spot on more than any other pundit the caf seems to love.

Rajma

People are really getting worked up by what he said there? That’s how essentially we should be looking as a fans who have standards. Totally spot on with everything there.

Idxomer

This is basically what Fergie would be saying but with far more conviction.

mu4c_20le

People are really getting worked up by what he said there? That’s how essentially we should be looking as a fans who have standards. Totally spot on with everything there.
No, they are surprised that he doesn't seem to be enjoying it. You should have a look at yourself if you feel the same.

Rajma

No, they are surprised that he doesn't seem to be enjoying it. You should have a look at yourself if you feel the same.
It’s difficult to enjoy it properly when you know it leads you to nowhere with performances like today. We won chaotically against Atalanta B team where half of they players looked drunk at times. I posted myself that we’re winning this when were losing as they have looked even worse than us.

VivaRonaldo85

Fergie style assessment in our prime, just not so well out across. Impressed nevertheless with his mind set. That’s what our whole squad need to be thinking

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Someone's really got his goat tonight. Even the clip they played showed his central point was wrong, cos it showed the front 4 dropping in to cover once we lost the ball. Something they did repeatedly.

Will we play that way against Liverpool? Of course not. Everyone knows Ole changes his approach for the big matches. That's why he has the most wins against Pep than any manager in the Premier League. Think Scholesy maybe needs a day off.
Did it though? I thought his point was that there was no link between the midfield and attack and that they were left on their own to both start attacks and protect the defence.

You can say that they all got back to cover when we lost it but it's a bit late when their attack is bearing down on our back 4. He's right that the City and Liverpool in this form would tear us a new one.

I mean I agree that he was a grumpy guts for not enjoying the second half and we weren't especially bad in the first, certainly going forward but there's just something missing that makes us very vulnerable.

Giggsy13

Do you expect Ole to play 4-2-4 against Liverpool Sunday? Because that’s literally all he said for 20 minutes. There’s no truth over something that hasn’t happened!
Atalanta had their entire defence out, that’s why we went all out and Ole was right to do so. We won’t do that on Sunday because they don’t have the same defensive troubles but Paul couldn’t connect the dots. I think Ole accepted a shoot out tonight
Bruno dropped back a bit in the second half and was just as effective of a game changer. A 4-3-3 is the way to go to help gain more control of our midfield. Give Bruno a more disciplined role. Fred was also much better today and we’ll need that level on Sunday. Ole in, Ole out in the end, we all unite under the banner of feck the scousers.

cyberman

By not even looking at the second half? How is that any sort of standard?
Let’s say he has a point, we have to improve in the first half for Sunday? Doesn’t the second half prove we can? Then why is it ignored and why isn’t he analysing how and where we improved? Where’s the actual analysis here? He kept saying we left Atalanta too much space etc but did we? Where? They barely did anything from the first goal and scored from a set piece.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
The guy should not be a pundit. Whatever his takes are, he’s just difficult to listen to.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
A lot of what he said was right, but I think he pushed it a bit much. He genuinely seemed pissed off that we’d win :lol:

He also said we conceded loads of chances in the first half. I can only remember them having 3 moments in the game. 2 goals and DDG double save? For what it’s worth, I actually think bar a bit of bad defending, we played really well tonight

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
One of the few times I think he's spot on. Of course, the euphoria can build momentum, but we've already seen that not happen after Villareal (even though the performance in this 2nd half was levels above that). A lot more dangerous than Leeds in the final third, but similar in how incredibly open they left themselves throughout the match, so not really a great barometer of anything other than mentality really, which was great in that 2nd half.

Super relieved to have bagged that win.

mu4c_20le

It’s difficult to enjoy it properly when you know it leads you to nowhere with performances like today. We won chaotically against Atalanta B team where half of they players looked drunk at times. I posted myself that we’re winning this when were losing as they have looked even worse than us.
Just try to enjoy the ride mate. Any other pundit and I"d think he was a nutter but it's Scholes and he's moody as feck so it's alright. As fans we should be enjoying the result and hope the board knows what to do when they need to.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Bruno dropped back a bit in the second half and was just as effective of a game changer. A 4-3-3 is the way to go to help gain more control of our midfield. Give Bruno a more disciplined role. Fred was also much better today and we’ll need that level on Sunday. Ole in, Ole out in the end, we all unite under the banner of feck the scousers.
Yeah this really. Bruno does need to bring some discipline to his game in a 4-3-3 and the two wide forwards need to drop back and work their arses off when we don't have the ball.

redshaw

I take his point well even though it was a great night. This was a very weakened Atalanta and Scholes has played in teams with a much higher standard. It must be hard to take seeing us come out so poorly continually for years.

Cavani, Ibra and of course Ronaldo part II have the standard of the old teams.

Last edited:

Rajma

By not even looking at the second half? How is that any sort of standard?
Let’s say he has a point, we have to improve in the first half for Sunday? Doesn’t the second half prove we can? Then why is it ignored and why isn’t he analysing how and where we improved? Where’s the actual analysis here? He kept saying we left Atalanta too much space etc but did we? Where? They barely did anything from the first goal and scored from a set piece.
It’s not the chances we conceded today it’s the space and time we gave them to cut us through they just lacked any kind of quality upfront and in midfield to really make the most out of us being shite. Had they been just a notch sharper we would be talking around similar amount of chances that Villareal or Leicester had against us. Sunday will expose us big time unless we’ll come up with a different formation.

cyberman

It’s not the chances we conceded today it’s the space and time we gave them to cut us through they just lacked any kind of quality upfront and in midfield to really make the most out of us being shite. Had they been just a notch sharper we would be talking around similar amount of chances that Villareal or Leicester had against us. Sunday will expose us big time unless we’ll come up with a different formation.
Did they cut through us? I genuinely don’t think that’s how the game went and David really had little to do.

Rajma

Just try to enjoy the ride mate. Any other pundit and I"d think he was a nutter but it's Scholes and he's moody as feck so it's alright. As fans we should be enjoying the result and hope the board knows what to do when they need to.
I admire your optimism mate but I’ve seen one too many of these wins over the last decade were you see so many large cracks that you can’t help but feel negative. The only bright side I’m finding is that this win will likely keep our CL hopes alive when the new manager enters through that OT door this season as otherwise we stand no chance.

Rajma

Did they cut through us? I genuinely don’t think that’s how the game went and David really had little to do.
As I said they didn’t trouble Dave because they couldn’t even capitalize on the space and time we were giving them, they were genuinely terrible and it’s indictment of our play that we have made such a hard work from this.

Zoo

At one point it looked like he was going to cry. Weird thing is he’d be defending Ole if we had lost tonight but because we won it in a joyful way he goes back to being a misery guts.

Giggsy13

Yeah this really. Bruno does need to bring some discipline to his game in a 4-3-3 and the two wide forwards need to drop back and work their arses off when we don't have the ball.
Thats where having Rashford back is so important. His work rate is second to none. Unfortunately Greenwood and Sancho don’t quite have that willingness to work without the ball. Maybe with some more time and experience they’ll learn.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Thats where having Rashford back is so important. His work rate is second to none. Unfortunately Greenwood and Sancho don’t quite have that willingness to work without the ball. Maybe with some more time and experience they’ll learn.
Sancho is United's attacking player who made the most pressures so far, the stat was all over his performance thread these days. You are right regarding Greenwood.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Spot on.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Hes 100% correct and it's good to see someone just being honest and thinking about the big picture. Don't understand how people can see us play garbage football and get outplayed by every team we play this season, and then think all is rosy and will change because of a random win now. It's a rollercoaster of a performance and it's always better to win, but I really can't get as excited after big wins if I feel like we are going nowhere. And we are really going nowhere without a change in the coaching staff. And Scholes obviously feels the same.

Acole9

Outstanding
Not really a fan of him as a pundit but he was spot on last night.

BigRon1985

Paul Scholes - the voice of reason amongst all the Ole sycophants.......

lsd

The Oracle
I just get the feeling he doesn't believe anything he says on TV.

Kaos

Some of you lot are unbelievable - "miserable, boring, shouldn't be a pundit". Charismatic or not he spat out some pretty somber hometruths last night that a lot of us are thinking. The fact that he's an ex United player and ex-teammate of Ole that's actually being objective of the situation instead of simply blaming everything and everyone but the manager (**cough Neville) is refreshing.

Or would you rather bury your head in the sand like Rio and act all elated pretending everything's fine and we're definitely going to kick on from here. You can call me miserable but I'm tired of constantly buying into the false dawns, I'm glad Scholes said what he said.

cyberman

Some of you lot are unbelievable - "miserable, boring, shouldn't be a pundit". Charismatic or not he spat out some pretty somber hometruths last night that a lot of us are thinking. The fact that he's an ex United player and ex-teammate of Ole that's actually being objective of the situation instead of simply blaming everything and everyone but the manager (**cough Neville) is refreshing.

Or would you rather bury your head in the sand like Rio and act all elated pretending everything's fine and we're definitely going to kick on from here. You can call me miserable but I'm tired of constantly buying into the false dawns, I'm glad Scholes said what he said.
What truths? All he kept rambling about was the first half and Liverpool. He didn’t discuss anything

Whether it's Van Persie, Paul Ince, Paul Scholes whoever.... it doesn't matter. They've either never managed or failed in Management themselves and sit around getting paid tons to spout shit, and a lot of the time they're playing a character and trying to make their 'punditry' get clicks, so they stay in their cushy jobs.

Yeah sometimes it's funny to watch - but putting any weight on what they say is a waste of time.

lsd

The Oracle
Whether it's Van Persie, Paul Ince, Paul Scholes whoever.... it doesn't matter. They've either never managed or failed in Management themselves and sit around getting paid tons to spout shit, and a lot of the time they're playing a character and trying to make their 'punditry' get clicks, so they stay in their cushy jobs.

Yeah sometimes it's funny to watch - but putting any weight on what they say is a waste of time.

He sounded like he was playing a character last night. Had obviously decided he was going to be negative against us.

Then when we turned it round he didn't have the brains to change his script and just ploughed on making himself look foolish.

He was not speaking any truth he was just reading the script he had already prepared

edgecutter

He's spot on with his analysis. When we play competent sides we get done, just look at last weekends result for the proof