Paul Scholes's 2012 return - What do you make of it ?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The interesting thing is, if you had said he was in the top 10 players in the world at any point during his career, you would have been laughed at.

It's only post his career or at the tail end when his powers waned that Scholes being on the elite world class level was even considered worthy of discussion.
This is nonsense.
Scholes was the stand out English player of his generation on pure football ability, but was hurt by playing in a superb team, and also not being a showy type.
I expect most United players of the time would tell you he was the best pound for pound footballer we had.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's pretty bad but when I think about Scholes's return I just remember the 6-1.
Not the defeat to Liverpool this season? Or the FA cup final v Arsenal in the 70s, or any other game he was nowhere near the pitch? :lol:

fps

This is nonsense.
Scholes was the stand out English player of his generation on pure football ability, but was hurt by playing in a superb team, and also not being a showy type.
I expect most United players of the time would tell you he was the best pound for pound footballer we had.
Yes I value footballers' views over forum posters', it's clear he was something special. It's also clear as with someone like Xavi that he was doing things that laymen just won't get.

Stacks

Absolutely. Him, Pirlo and Xavi, an easy top three for me in terms of who you want running the show in midfield at the peak of their powers.

Schmeichel in an interview once made the point that what sets the truly top tier apart for him is consistency. And with players like Scholes, year in year out, you knew they’d not be a weak link. I remember being younger and wanting flashy names, and then Fergie would talk about character. I think we’re seeing more and more with the current United how much that really matters.
Cesc Fabgregas, Kroos (the guy Scholes said he modeled his game on), Schweinsteiger? Funny enough Giggs was top notch in 2011 until he played against the great Xavi

I remember going to a pub to watch the City match, and was on the tube, so didn’t see the announcement about his return and was flabbergasted to see him on the bench.

he was pretty off the pace when he came on and was very rusty. But we had a really good 18 months, was so happy for him to have an encore and, he was still a fantastic player.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
United are horrible when it comes to buying midfielders. Other then recent days with Herrera and Pogba. When the last good one? Carrick? But yeah it is what it is, when I heard Scholes come back to help united out. Was delighted to see him back to just pick up another PL medal :lol:
Bruno Fernandes

Davìd Moyéz

A big regret of mine that I never properly appreciated Scholes at the time. I think for fans like myself who didn't attend matches and didn't have sky sports for much of his career you didn't appreciate Scholes full genius from highlights. Probably explains why Van Nistelrooy was my idol for 5 years. By the time I was following United properly, Scholes had been established in the team for years and so wasn't as exciting as young flair players like Rooney and Ronaldo and he went under the radar because of his personality. Quite a few reasons there why I took him for granted and didn't realise how brilliant he was.

I think a lot of fans didn't appreciate Scholes until he was gone. Bruno is arguably the first player that's looked like being a decent replacement and that's 8 years on. I wish he was starting his career now, he'd be my favourite player for sure. Whenever you watch back football from 90s and 00s it makes you realise what a player he was. He's so involved in every move and just looks in complete control the whole time. Even watching repeats of videos I've seen dozens of times some of the passes he sees take me by surprise. It's telling that everyone that played with him puts him in their 'ultimate xi's' and most say he was the best player they ever played with.

kambinks

The only thing i remembered was how much of a morale boost the news was and funny little thing, thought he might have cost us the game cause we were 2-0 up or something and looked reasonably comfortable, the game ended 3-2. Did help with the injury we had that time but i didn't think it made that much of a difference to our season. But its just one of those magical things that add to the United lore.

Luke1995

Who was Scholes best partner on the field ? I mean, who had the best link up play with him ?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It wasn't ideal for him to have to come back. But he was fantastic and it was yet another show case of his brilliance

jem

It's (probably) pretty much a majority agreement that up until 2008-2009 season, Scholes was one of the best players in the world. At least due to his consistency.

Some say that in 2009-2010 his form took a turn for the worse compared to previous standards, while I suppose most would agree that 2010-2011 was not really a good season for him.

So, what was your reaction when you found out he was returning in January 2012 less than a year after hanging his boots ?

And your thoughts on his performances in that last half of that season plus the further year in 2012-2013 ?
My memory is a bit hazy, but I seem to remember the 2009-2010 season being a return to form after an indifferent 2008-9 (even 2007-8 I remember being a bit suspect, notwithstanding the goal against Barca.)

buckooo1978

funny I just listened to the Scholes interview on the United podcast.

He was a great squad option but Scholes said himself he couldn't cope with the physicality

Pogba should have been used more and this wasnt a great period - right in the middle of Glazers 'value' period

With hindsight it was obvious Rooney was right about a lack of investment in the team