Paulo Dybala - Performances

beckbeck

This guy looked attrocious in the finals. His first touch was horrible.

cheeky_backheel

This guy looked attrocious in the finals. His first touch was horrible.
He was good in the first half. It was in the second half that, like almost every Juve player, lost the plot.

Allegri failed to respond to Madrid's half time adjustments ( dropped Kroos to DLPM and Casemiro roamed+kept an eye on Dybala).

Allegri got his tactics all wrong and should have played a slower and more closed game, crowd the middle, and, overload and attacked more down the left (e.g. shift Dybala to that side). There was no way Pjanic+Khedira would win against Kroos+Modric. Add Casemiro+Isco and the middle is sure to be lost. He needed to choke up the space and force the game wide, making it Alves vs Marcelo and Sandro vs Carvajal

The 3 at the back was unwarranted imo and think an extra DM/CM instead of CB would have been better.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He was good in the first half. It was in the second half that, like almost every Juve player, lost the plot.

Allegri failed to respond to Madrid's half time adjustments ( dropped Kroos to DLPM and Casemiro roamed+kept an eye on Dybala).

Allegri got his tactics all wrong and should have played a slower and more closed game, crowd the middle, and, overload and attacked more down the left (e.g. shift Dybala to that side). There was no way Pjanic+Khedira would win against Kroos+Modric. Add Casemiro+Isco and the middle is sure to be lost. He needed to choke up the space and force the game wide, making it Alves vs Marcelo and Sandro vs Carvajal

The 3 at the back was unwarranted imo and think an extra DM/CM instead of CB would have been better.
Disagree. They never had a shot if they played a slower game, would've just allowed us to do what we did in the second half for the whole game. To win this, juve needed any one of these things to happen, possibly more than one: run at least 5 kms more than us in total(and they run little less than 4 km more than us). Score first(and they didn't). Have the breaks go their way(again did not happen. Casemiro's deflected shot)

Their best shot imho was to come out strong, set 1vs1 duels all over the pitch(Mandzukic vs Carvajal, Dani Alves vs Marcelo, Khedira vs Isco, Pjanic vs Kroos, Dybala vs Modric, Higuain vs Casemiro, Barzagli+Bonucci+Chiellini vs CR7+Benzema the main assignments, rotate and switch as needed) with constant double teams on the ball, push the pace for the first 15-20 minutes and score. Then sit-deep and play on the counter, with occasional accelerations(high press)

cheeky_backheel

Disagree. They never had a shot if they played a slower game, would've just allowed us to do what we did in the second half for the whole game. To win this, juve needed any one of these things to happen, possibly more than one: run at least 5 kms more than us in total(and they run little less than 4 km more than us). Score first(and they didn't). Have the breaks go their way(again did not happen. Casemiro's deflected shot)

Their best shot imho was to come out strong, set 1vs1 duels all over the pitch(Mandzukic vs Carvajal, Dani Alves vs Marcelo, Khedira vs Isco, Pjanic vs Kroos, Dybala vs Modric, Higuain vs Casemiro, Barzagli+Bonucci+Chiellini vs CR7+Benzema the main assignments, rotate and switch as needed) with constant double teams on the ball, push the pace for the first 15-20 minutes and score. Then sit-deep and play on the counter, with occasional accelerations(high press)
That would have been worse cos they would have lost almost all of the 1v1 battles and also run out of gas earlier being an older team. From what you proposed, Kroos>>Pjanic, Modric>>Dybala (in midfield) and Casemiro>Higuain (cos Higuian cant track back that deeply).

Madrid's biggest advantage over Juve was always in central midfield. No matter, how well you press, its almost impossible to win 2v4 even if you had better players, talk less with players of lesser quality. They needed at least 3 players in central midfield not necessarily to control it but to limit passing lanes and space, forcing the game into the wide area. Assuming Marchisio started instead of Barzagli i9n a 4-3-3/4-5-1, this would have left CR+Benzema vs Bonucci+Chiellini, Marchisio+Khedira+Pjanic vs Isco+kroos+Modric+Casemiro, Alves vs Marcelo, Sandro vs Carvajal, Mandzukic+Pipita vs Varane+Ramos, with Dybala in a free role. Those are battles that Juve can compete in. Madrid would still have a clear advantage in midfield but the congestion would make it more difficult for Madrid to exploit playing trough the middle. Juve can sit back and be compact, needing to deal mainly with balls from the flank where Buffon+Bonucci+Chiellini are good enough. Going forward, they could bypass the midfield and use long ball to Mandzukic to initiate their attacks with Pipita and Dybala picking up the scraps.

Not saying that Juve would necessarily have won (e.g. Zidane could introduce a wide player to change the game), but that would have given Juve their best chance of getting a result.

Arthur Friedenreich

After watching many Juve games this season, i thought he was a great player but not in that elite of the elite.
But i saw in an interview how high Dani Alves rates Dybala.
So i'm going with Dani Alves judgement on this one.

RooneyLegend

They had him under violent pressure as he is the only presence Juve have in the hole. Higuain is all that in terms of holding it up, mandzukic runs around out wide. Had a few moments of quality but on the whole was underwhelming. They really need to improve technically.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
I know that he doesn't score anywhere near as much as Messi, but Dybala's playmaking skills are impressive.

Anyway his goal return has been great in the first few games. 6 goals in 3 competitive matches.

Last season he was played out of position (CAM behind Higuain and Mandzukic) and struggled with injuries early on. Nevertheless 19 goals was not a bad return. He can definitely do better though.

Red Star One

Phenomenal player and a potential Ballon D'or winner. He looks fantastic this season and I wonder where he will end up after Juve. Considering his age, I don't think there's a single player I'd rather see signed by United. One can dream :drool:

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
He only scored 5 league goals from open play last season. He's on 3 already this time around

manunited1919

He just signed a new contract in April, he is on £113,000 per week until 2022. If Juve sell, it will be at Neymar levels.

Womp

idiot
Was obvious he was a phenomenal talent before he even moved to Juve. Not surprised he's still killing it

Z_Wolf

Most young players are overrated these days but this guy is the most overrated of them all. He's a great set piece taker but other than that he's nothing special.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Most young players are overrated these days but this guy is the most overrated of them all. He's a great set piece taker but other than that he's nothing special.
I also don't think he's that special. @giorno loves him though and he usually knows what he's talking about :D

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
You are such a fanboi :D. None shall criticise Dybala!
:lol:

It's true though, he was asked to play like Zidane last season, AM/midfielder more than striker. That's the biggest reason why he didn't score much

@Peyroteo this guy is constantly 1 second ahead of the game. You can't teach that. If he were quicker/more explosive, he'd be Messi. Literally, the only difference between them is Messi has better physical attributes mostly thanks to his lower height and center of gravity, which gives him better balance, which gives him better control over his body, etc...

B&Wandmore

Supports
juventus
I also don't think he's that special. @giorno loves him though and he usually knows what he's talking about :D
If Mbappe , Coutinho or Dembele go for 140 millions Dybala is definetly worth more. Currently I do not see anybody with a higher potential behind the 3 top. Juve is trying to build the team around him and make him the centrepiece of the rebranding strategy so we are hoping he will stay for quite a few seasons more. The number 10 has given him a lot of motivation and he seems to be very happy to stay, of course in the end money will talk too

Cal?

CR7 fan
If Mbappe , Coutinho or Dembele go for 140 millions Dybala is definetly worth more. Currently I do not see anybody with a higher potential behind the 3 top. Juve is trying to build the team around him and make him the centrepiece of the rebranding strategy so we are hoping he will stay for quite a few seasons more. The number 10 has given him a lot of motivation and he seems to be very happy to stay, of course in the end money will talk too
I think he'll be the next player to break the transfer fee record when he goes to Madrid.

B&Wandmore

Supports
juventus
I think he'll be the next player to break the transfer fee record when he goes to Madrid.
well hopefully not for a few years, but if it happens and he keeps playing like he is that is for sure

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
@Peyroteo this guy is constantly 1 second ahead of the game. You can't teach that. If he were quicker/more explosive, he'd be Messi. Literally, the only difference between them is Messi has better physical attributes mostly thanks to his lower height and center of gravity, which gives him better balance, which gives him better control over his body, etc...
I still don't think he'd even be a starter in Madrid and I'd have Isco and probably Asensio ahead of him. He seems like he'll have a great season so I hope he changes my mind.

B&Wandmore

Supports
juventus
I still don't think he'd even be a starter in Madrid and I'd have Isco and probably Asensio ahead of him. He seems like he'll have a great season so I hope he changes my mind.
Isco does not play in the same role. At Real he would play along with Ronaldo and Benzema or Asensio who is not yet a starter anyway, but hopefully they agree with you and do not come for him

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Probably depends on how long Cristiano goes on for.
Aye, I know there are a lot of other factors to consider and all (especially money), but isn't Dybala a massive Barcelona fan and wants to play there after Juve? Not that, that will be where he ends up anyway. Juve still has a big say in the matter of course.

Or else I'm just making stuff up.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
No and no and no. The only player we have who's better than him is Cristiano, and i'm not so sure he's still going to be better this season. Asensio might become as good or better and started the season on fire, but it's too early to tell.

Cal?

CR7 fan
that and on how fast Juve is able to grow its revenues
I don't think Juve will be in a position to compete with Real even if they continue to dominate Serie A. The worldwide interest simply isn't there. Unless some other oil country buy them...
Aye, I know there are a lot of other factors to consider and all (especially money), but isn't Dybala a massive Barcelona fan and wants to play there after Juve? Not that, that will be where he ends up anyway. Juve still has a big say in the matter of course.

Or else I'm just making stuff up.
He is supposed to be a Barca fan, but I just don't see Barca being able to afford that fee given how badly they're managed right now. Also, in the end, it doesn't really matter to them, does it? Solskjaer was a Liverpool fan, Gerrard an Everton fan, the list goes on and on. I can't see some Argie who's lived a long time in Italy having super strong feelings to turn down Madrid.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Isco does not play in the same role. At Real he would play along with Ronaldo and Benzema or Asensio who is not yet a starter anyway, but hopefully they agree with you and do not come for him
Dybala and Isco played the same role last season, and dybala's better

Ish

Lights on for Luke
He is supposed to be a Barca fan, but I just don't see Barca being able to afford that fee given how badly they're managed right now. Also, in the end, it doesn't really matter to them, does it? Solskjaer was a Liverpool fan, Gerrard an Everton fan, the list goes on and on. I can't see some Argie who's lived a long time in Italy having super strong feelings to turn down Madrid.
Yeah, I agree. I guess it's going to depend on a good few other factors as well - like who else is available, when Juve is willing to sell, price etc.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
The thing is the Benzema Cristiano partnership isn't going to end yet and in my opinion Isco's presence in midfield and his ability to hold on to the ball fits a lot better than Dybala would there. They could replace Benzema with Dybala and play Cristiano more as a striker but with Zidane in charge I don't think that will happen.

No and no and no. The only player we have who's better than him is Cristiano, and i'm not so sure he's still going to be better this season. Asensio might become as good or better and started the season on fire, but it's too early to tell.
I don't rate him nearly as highly as you and I don't think he'd even be close to being Madrid's second best player. Was he even considered Juve's best player last season? I watched a lot of Juve games last year and I just don't see it.

B&Wandmore

Supports
juventus
The thing is the Benzema Cristiano partnership isn't going to end yet and in my opinion Isco's presence in midfield and his ability to hold on to the ball fits a lot better than Dybala would there. They could replace Benzema with Dybala and play Cristiano more as a striker but with Zidane in charge I don't think that will happen.

I don't rate him nearly as highly as you and I don't think he'd even be close to being Madrid's second best player. Was he even considered Juve's best player last season? I watched a lot of Juve games last year and I just don't see it.
last year he was brilliant at times but he has been affected by injuries. Juve is a club that does not rely on just one star player but for sure along or slightly after Higuain he has been the most influential player .
I disagree with the Isco position's remark. The areas where they play overlaps but Dybala has a much wider range around the box and while they both played between the lines, Paulo is much more offensive. I love Isco anyway and in fact 2 years ago when he was not playing we offered over 30 millions but unfortunately it did not happen.

B&Wandmore

Supports
juventus
I don't think Juve will be in a position to compete with Real even if they continue to dominate Serie A. The worldwide interest simply isn't there. Unless some other oil country buy them...

I do not think that being a fan is that decisive. In any case more than a Barca fan in the past he mentioned that he wanted to play with Messi and that's when all Spanish media implied he had already promised himself to Barca. The reality is that the decision will be based on a combination of money, tactical suitability (and currently none of the Spanish giants would be ideal unless they change system and sell 1 of their top) and his personal situation.

Money wise today Juve cannot offer more than 8 millions net (16 gross) but that will change over the next 2-3 years and while I doubt we will fill the gap with the likes of Real or MU it might be enough to gradually raise his salary along with his standing so that the salary gap would not be as big. Bottom line it will be up to the player because Juve has no need to sell even for 200 millions and he is still young so up to when he is 27-28 there will not be a strong incentive for the club to sell him

B&Wandmore

Supports
juventus
Dybala and Isco played the same role last season, and dybala's better
I disagree Isco has been a playmaker in a 4312 system playing behind Benzema and Ronaldo when Bale was out, before he played less and further behind. Dybala has played mainly as a second forward in a 4231 position behind Higuain and sometimes swapping with him. While Dybala thanks to his great aerobic abilities runs a lot (over 12km per game) so ends up playing often in line with the midfielder his main task is still to work with Gonzalo around the box and with the wingers on the sides to build up our offensive game. Dybala would play very well with Isco behind him too.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I do not think that being a fan is that decisive. In any case more than a Barca fan in the past he mentioned that he wanted to play with Messi and that's when all Spanish media implied he had already promised himself to Barca. The reality is that the decision will be based on a combination of money, tactical suitability (and currently none of the Spanish giants would be ideal unless they change system and sell 1 of their top) and his personal situation.

Money wise today Juve cannot offer more than 8 millions net (16 gross) but that will change over the next 2-3 years and while I doubt we will fill the gap with the likes of Real or MU it might be enough to gradually raise his salary along with his standing so that the salary gap would not be as big. Bottom line it will be up to the player because Juve has no need to sell even for 200 millions and he is still young so up to when he is 27-28 there will not be a strong incentive for the club to sell him
Sure it'll be upto the player in the end, but I get the feeling that Juve are content being the top dogs in Serie A and occasionally challenge for the CL, so if a world record bid come in for Dybala, I'd be surprised if they turn it down.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Watch Juventus when Dybala isn't there, then you'll understand why people rate him so highly.

Without him Juve are clueless going forward.

Allegri, although a great defensive manager, relies on individual brilliance on the other side of the pitch.

B&Wandmore

Supports
juventus
Sure it'll be upto the player in the end, but I get the feeling that Juve are content being the top dogs in Serie A and occasionally challenge for the CL, so if a world record bid come in for Dybala, I'd be surprised if they turn it down.
yes many Juve fans think the same :D

I think the situation is more complex than that. Juve does want to get back to be not occasionally but permanently one of the 6-8 teams that compete for CL. In order to do we need to grow considerably because at present there is still a big gap with the top 4 clubs in terms of revenues. Juve managed to fill at least in part that gap thru better scouting and training and management, but obviously top players like Pogba, Dybala and possibly Sandro can outgrow the club and be offered higher salaries.
Our limit is to be part of Serie A that has been and still is very poory managed league that has lost appeal due to this and as a result the TV and commercial rights are way below the EPL, the only reason why the gap to this day is still manageable vs EPL teams is because frankly as it happens when there is too much money English teams are really poor buyers.

In the long term though Juve can compete only if we can raise the commercial revenues by an order 300% and that is the main reason behind the re-branding strategy that aims at establishing Juve as a global brand. Dybala is part of this effort and while with Pogba the timing was not right, from what I understand with Dybala there is the intention of leveraging him to achieve this goal so it is possible that the club goes beyond its traditional parsimony to keep him (he already got a very generous image rights deal that increases his net salary well over 10 million/year).
So to sum up I would not be surprised if we turned down good offers, this summer we already turned down 130 from Barca and 68 for Sandro from Chelsea, what would be more challenging is if one of the too 4 clubs comes in with a doubled salary offer.

In the past we were able to keep del Piero who also received much higher offers elsewhere, but he was Italian and our captain and the money levels were different, we will see what happens, but would really hate to see him at Real or Barca:annoyed: