Paulo Dybala

Status
Not open for further replies.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Reading a (fantastic) article in The Athletic about the role of agents, and demands of players. And you can easily see how it was a waste of time trying to negotiate with Dybala’s team. Who are his brothers.

I highly recommend reading it.

EASTSIDE777

Reading a (fantastic) article in The Athletic about the role of agents, and demands of players. And you can easily see how it was a waste of time trying to negotiate with Dybala’s team. Who are his brothers.

I highly recommend reading it.
But somehow Levy got it done.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
But somehow Levy got it done.
Dybala hasn’t signed for Spurs as far as I am aware....Nor have they agreed personal terms, or addressed the issue of image rights. So what the feck are you talking about?

United walked away because their demands were preposterous. Which was the right thing to do.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Dybala hasn’t signed for Spurs as far as I am aware....Nor have they agreed personal terms, or addressed the issue of image rights. So what the feck are you talking about?

United walked away because their demands were preposterous. Which was the right thing to do.
If the demands are met by fecking Spurs... you can safely say that they weren't asking much.

Spurs wage structure and history of agent payments are famously tight.

HailtotheKing

What a lot of fecking shite!

Sick of reading this from United fans.
Well you can argue about the United list but that Spurs one was pretty bang on in my opinion.
We will always be United but it takes a special player to want to come here and put us back on the map again as opposed to one who just wants the extra money to compensate for lack of Champions League etc. For top players Champions League is everything. You can see some accepting not being in it for a year. But we're very hit and miss right now. We have a novice manager, novice coaching team and a novice / nobhead of a director of football. It takes a strong character to say yes to us when they can go to pretty much any other big team. To quote a well-known manager - everyone thinks they have the best wife at home!

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
We dodged a Di Maria bullet with this one. Good thing Ole had reservations of this mercenary signing. I rate him more than Ericksen but Ericksen seems like he would WANT to move to United and be honored to wear the badge. Dybala is just being forced to go somewhere and would eventually jump ship at the first opportunity to PSG or wherever.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
If the demands are met by fecking Spurs... you can safely say that they weren't asking much.

Spurs wage structure and history of agent payments are famously tight.
Agreed. Or they lowered their demands. But it’s still hypothetical at this point. All the inside knowledge at this point says his brothers wanted a 16m fee, and the players 350k a week plus, just as his basic salary. Too much for a guy that scored 5 goals last season. Then there were the image rights which have to be negotiated separately, as he doesn’t own them anymore.

Amarsdd

The levels of arrogance on this thread and the Caf generally is astonishing.

IF, and it’s a big if that Spurs get Dybala, I’m not going to be overly surprised that he chose Spurs over Utd.

Here’s reasons not to come here:

• Pretty average team with little immediate chance of success
• Playing in Europa League
• Fans protest at the owners and want them out
• Solksjaer has little to no pull as a manager or managerial cache
• Striker is in Belgium rather than returning
• Team has “toxic” influence in the dressing room
• Little to no game changing signings in this window
• Maybe one (DDG) world class player
• Managerial merry-go round
• No clear recruitment strategy

Take out all the United legacy/history bullshit, which I don’t believe players buy into anyway, and there’s little attractive about the club right now.

The only thing we offer is money, and surprisingly, there’s more to life than that.

Spurs on the other hand have a better manager, finished top 4, are based in London, have a new stadium, were in the CL final and have far better players in a team that has a footballing identity and plays much better football.

He may not go there, but take off the rise-tinted glasses you lot.
Its not really arrogance, its common sense. Can you name me any player that we have really chased that has gone to another PL club for the reasons you’ve mentioned? Only young players like Bale, Ramsey have chosen other clubs but that was only for more playing time.

Even with the turbulent last six years, we have been there and thereabouts and won trophies, and have attracted big players. United’s history, legacy and standing in the world plays a big part. Even if its not directly, its through the earning capabilities that gives us such that we can afford those players. And btw if you really think United’s legacy and history is bullshit, you should just go support City, you’ll fit in well over there.

Of course, we haven’t been the United we always expected and every one of us knows that, but finally seeing some resemblance of progress in terms of playing style, recruiting and hopefully football structure in the club. Constantly criticizing and shitting on United in favor of City who won’t last a day without the oil money, and Tottenham who has not done anything of note even in the best period for the club in years, that’s what grinds my bones and most of the others I suppose. Anyway, I don’t know if you have kids or not, but do you hope for the best and be hopeful for the kid you love or constantly criticize him/her and say the other’s kids are much better. Its the same, at least for me. This is the club I love and have loved my whole life, so its the hopefulness and optimism I see them through. Its your pejorative if you want to call it a rose-tinted glass.

Last edited:

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
We dodged a Di Maria bullet with this one. Good thing Ole had reservations of this mercenary signing. I rate him more than Ericksen but Ericksen seems like he would WANT to move to United and be honored to wear the badge. Dybala is just being forced to go somewhere and would eventually jump ship at the first opportunity to PSG or wherever.
Enough with this lazy analysis. Literally no way to know if we dodged a Di Maria bullet or not. Tevez was a total cnut but tore the league apart with us.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
What has Eriksen done or said that has lead you to such a conclusion...?

Genuine question.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Regardless, Woodward needs to keep the discussions going with Dbyala's camp if for anything to keep the pressure on Levy. He fecks around with Erickson and drags it too long, we will feck with him on Dybala.
Levy will have more to lose as Erickson can walk away for free in Jan onwards.

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
Enough with this lazy analysis. Literally no way to know if we dodged a Di Maria bullet or not. Tevez was a total cnut but tore the league apart with us.
Both were surplus to requirements at their respective clubs. Had to get flogged off somewhere and United was the only big club willing to take them and pay them top dollar. Tevez only gave us 1 season.

lsd

The Oracle
Both were surplus to requirements at their respective clubs. Had to get flogged off somewhere and United was the only big club willing to take them and pay them top dollar. Tevez only gave us 1 season.

Only because Fergie gave him the bench in his second season after blowing the Tevez money on Berbatov .

Tevez's form when he went to city showed Fergie made a huge error with that one

Eddy_JukeZ

Actually, Tevez did not tear the league apart with us.
Yeah he didn't, though he was fairly good.

His equalizer against Blackburn pretty much sealed the title for us. Winner at Anfield. Winning goal vs Chelsea at OT. Equalizer at White Hart Lane to save us a point.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Only because Fergie gave him the bench in his second season after blowing the Tevez money on Berbatov .

Tevez's form when he went to city showed Fergie made a huge error with that one
Fergie didn’t blow the Tévez money on Berbatov. We easily could’ve bought Tévez. Tévez didn’t sign for us because of his agent. There was so much bullshit going on behind the scenes. And Tévez and his agent played the United fans so hard. He was always going to sign for City the whole second season. They were desperate to get one over on us and let his agent know they would shatter every wage record to get him. It’s also highly likely there were a bunch of offshore payments too. Furthermore, United had an agreement to sign him for 25m, and City were willing to pay 40m odd. His registration was owned by his fecking agent. So the whole thing stunk to high heaven. His agent messed the club around and waited for the clause to expire. United made Tévez several offers throughout the season.

It’s not FM. In the real world forcing toxic, greedy characters to sign for you, does more harm than good. Fergie knee he was a great player, which is why he signed him in the first place. And won a CL with him. Once it became clear what was happening in the background, he did what Fergie always did...he was ruthless.

It’s irrelevant how good he was at City. He and his agents were cnuts to the club.

RedCurry

I am sure spurs link is genuine. Like the Martial to Spurs was genuine. Levy does this every summer to appease the fans but lands absolute feck all.

Chuck_B

Its not really arrogance, its common sense. Can you name me any player that we have really chased that has gone to another PL club for the reasons you’ve mentioned? Only young players like Bale, Ramsey have chosen other clubs but that was only for more playing time.

Even with the turbulent last six years, we have been there and thereabouts and won trophies, and have attracted big players. United’s history, legacy and standing in the world plays a big part. Even if its not directly, its through the earning capabilities that gives us such that we can afford those players. And btw if you really think United’s legacy and history is bullshit, you should just go support City, you’ll fit in well over there.

Of course, we haven’t been the United we always expected and every one of us knows that, but finally seeing some resemblance of progress in terms of playing style, recruiting and hopefully football structure in the club. Constantly criticizing and shitting on United in favor of City who won’t last a day without the oil money, and Tottenham who has not done anything of note even in the best period for the club in years, that’s what grinds my bones and most of the others I suppose. Anyway, I don’t know if you have kids or not, but do you hope for the best and be hopeful for the kid you love or constantly criticize him/her and say the other’s kids are much better. Its the same, at least for me. This is the club I love and have loved my whole life, so its the hopefulness and optimism I see them through. Its your pejorative if you want to call it a rose-tinted glass.
Fair play man, well put. As the great man said "lads, its Tottenham". The negativity some people post amazes me. You'll probably come back and say your being a realist or some other BS like that, but it's being negative and shown no belief. It's feckin Spurs at the end of the day, the biggest bottlers of a club in the PL and i think they should have Dybala. He's a nice and tidy player, like the club, but we'll feckin do them this season!

Last edited by a moderator:

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
IF he actually prefers Spurs to us thats plain embarassing. We are the biggest club in the world. I can imagine him going to City because of Pep and money even Chelsea but they have a ban Spurs though ?! Based on a fluke season of getting to a CL final ? I dont buy it plus theres the money issues which others have mentioned.
I wouldn't call it a fluke season. They have a great team and a great manager. If Poch sticks around you wouldn't bet against them being in the CL spots again this coming season.

Ballist1x

Eriksen is 27 now, 28 in February.

We'll watch Spurs sign Dybala and in 3 years be stuck with Eriksen, worth zero, and covet Dybala offering £100m to prise him away from Spurs...

Honestly at this point in the game we would be better served going for Bruno and picking up Eriksen next year for free.

Paying £50m plus for one sesson of Eriksen when he can be had for nothing in the summer is so backwards and it will give Spurs the money they need to sign Dybala..

Zed 101

We'll watch Spurs sign Dybala and in 3 years be stuck with Eriksen, worth zero, and covet Dybala offering £100m to prise him away from Spurs...

Honestly at this point in the game we would be better served going for Bruno and picking up Eriksen next year for free.

Paying £50m plus for one sesson of Eriksen when he can be had for nothing in the summer is so backwards and it will give Spurs the money they need to sign Dybala..
1 - Dybala will be 26 in November so in 3 years will be 29 unless he turns into Ronaldo mark II no way he goes for £100 mil
2 - No way what so ever Spurs are going to pay Dybala's wage demands, agents fees, or sort out the image rights 3rd party issue
3 - No way we are signing Eriksen

But otherwise I could not agree more

Ballist1x

1 - Dybala will be 26 in November so in 3 years will be 29 unless he turns into Ronaldo mark II no way he goes for £100 mil
2 - No way what so ever Spurs are going to pay Dybala's wage demands, agents fees, or sort out the image rights 3rd party issue
3 - No way we are signing Eriksen

But otherwise I could not agree more
That's like saying we'd never offer £50m for a 27 year old in the last year of his contract of be willing too pay £15m for a 33 year old. Didn't we offer 80m or so for Koulibaly hes not far off the age.

And in the summer he'd still be 28 at the point of negotiation . We are just very short sighted with these things.

Hence why we have Matic with us today.

If we really wanted Eriksen we should have scouted him out at Ajax. We have to accept it's too late, too expensive and bad business.

Last edited by a moderator:

RedPnutz

The levels of arrogance on this thread and the Caf generally is astonishing.

IF, and it’s a big if that Spurs get Dybala, I’m not going to be overly surprised that he chose Spurs over Utd.

Here’s reasons not to come here:

• Pretty average team with little immediate chance of success
• Playing in Europa League
• Fans protest at the owners and want them out
• Solksjaer has little to no pull as a manager or managerial cache
• Striker is in Belgium rather than returning
• Team has “toxic” influence in the dressing room
• Little to no game changing signings in this window
• Maybe one (DDG) world class player
• Managerial merry-go round
• No clear recruitment strategy

Take out all the United legacy/history bullshit, which I don’t believe players buy into anyway, and there’s little attractive about the club right now.

The only thing we offer is money, and surprisingly, there’s more to life than that.

Spurs on the other hand have a better manager, finished top 4, are based in London, have a new stadium, were in the CL final and have far better players in a team that has a footballing identity and plays much better football.

He may not go there, but take off the rise-tinted glasses you lot.
Exactly. Before anyone asks, I have been a United fan since 80's but this is indeed the situation now.

Most players treat football as a job to make a living, albeit an enjoyable one compared to most of us at the office. But it is still a profession nonetheless and it is normal for employees to want to play for a company (club) on the rise, an up and coming boss / manager, and with recent (almost) achievements.

Putting aside all the romance and history, which I honestly don't see why Dybala should care about (unless like Macguire who grew up a United fan), the lure of Spurs in the short term is much stronger. After all, we won all that when SAF was the manager and he's gone now. Players can see the slide from SAF to Moyes to LVG to Jose....

It's much more attractive to think of oneself being the missing piece in the puzzle to take Spurs from CL final to CL champions; than to think you could be the one piece out of a 25-man squad that brings United back to glory days again. How long will that take?

Think about it... even some of the United fans are constantly dissing the club, criticising the club's incompetence, showing disrespect for Ole and players. Even own United fans are so pessimistic about United's prospects. Why should (foreign) players have any more confidence in the club if the club own's fans are just complain and doom merchants?

Players are not idiots, they have agents and their own PR as well. Any one of them could find this forum and be influenced by the amount of toxicity and vitriol that the own fans spew.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
From what I read the issue here isn't Dybala but the fact that he doesn't own his own image rights. Which means that any club wishing to exploit that must negotiate with third parties who happen to be cnuts.

RedDevilUnited369

From what I read the issue here isn't Dybala but the fact that he doesn't own his own image rights. Which means that any club wishing to exploit that must negotiate with third parties who happen to be cnuts.
This exactly what it is, which is why Spurs are no closer than us to signing him. Why he sold his image rights is beyond me. Its kind of like being a musician and owning your masters and then selling them! Why would you do that?

devilish

This exactly what it is, which is why Spurs are no closer than us to signing him. Why he sold his image rights is beyond me. Its kind of like being a musician and owning your masters and then selling them! Why would you do that?
I agree. However let's blame dybala for his stupidity not his greedyness

TheReligion

Abusive
This is a smokescreen by Spurs to keep the fans happy. Show them they are in for the top talent.

It seems they might have finished their business.

Riz

This is a smokescreen by Spurs to keep the fans happy. Show them they are in for the top talent.

It seems they might have finished their business.
I never understand this logic. I get why a smokescreen would be used if your targeting somebody else but a few people have said that United and Spurs are finished with signings this window (agree on the United part) and are merely briefing faux interest to "keep the fans happy"? If anything, purposefully briefing we're in talks with Eriksen when we know we're not going to sign him is completely counterproductive to fan happiness given in 48 hours we will have missed out and the fan base will be frustrated.

No one ever says after a failed saga "I'm happy cause we tried".

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

:houllier: another ageist

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
That's just Woodward PR non-sense, Dybala has been reluctant to join us from the very beginning. Truth is he didn't fancy us and turned us down but we decided to save face and briefed the press that him and his entourage are mercenaries. Woodward has a long history whenever top players have turned us down, this is no different.

Dybala wanted £10m net annually, that works out at £350k a week. We were paying Rooney £300k a week 6 years ago. As far as image rights issues is concerned, they have a value and it can be bought back but for that the player would be willing to join us in the 1st instance.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
this.. absolutely. Some places turned down a certain frenchman as a trouble-maker... he changed everything at United. If spurs get Dybala (and agree fees/pay/rights) someone should point out to the Glazers that they are paying a man (presumably) a lot of money for failing to do his job and finlly ge rid of the tool that is ed Wooodward

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I was reading up on the image rights issue and found this:

Law in Sport said:
During 2014, a number of the top Premier League clubs entered into detailed negotiations with HMRC to seek to agree some parameters which, if followed, would mean clubs were “safe” from HMRC enquiry in relation to their image rights arrangements. A deal was finalised in February 2015, applicable initially for 3 seasons (2014-15 to 2016-17).

The deal was effectively split into two “caps”, a Stage 1 Cap and a Stage 2 Cap. The Stage 1 Cap (known as the “Club Cap”) sought to limit the amount that a club could pay in total under image rights arrangements, and this is broadly defined as 15% of commercial revenues. This limits the amount that clubs can pay to image rights companies to a proportion of their overall commercial income, which of course is generated in large part by use of those images. Commercial income is defined in the agreement, but is largely everything outside of matchday revenue and broadcasting income. The Stage 1 Cap is a logical step as it means the more commercially active clubs, requiring greater use of the players images, have a greater cap.

The Stage 2 Cap (known as the “Player Cap”) limits the amount that can be paid to an individual player’s image rights company by reference to his playing salary. This limit is set at 20% of annual “variable earnings – essentially 20% of the P60 value.

The club therefore have an overall limit in relation to the amounts that they can pay across all of their image rights companies – by reference to the clubs’ commercial income; and a maximum that they can pay to each individual player. As far as HMRC are concerned, this “limits the mischief” in relation to overall payments to image rights structures.
I don't know if this agreement between PL clubs and the HMRC is still in place but this could've been a potential issue.

It's also not as clear-cut as "he sold his image rights to a third party", apparently. He left his former agents who held his image rights for a few years, and they are currently threatening with legal action over a breach of contract by Dybala. I think it's just a total mess all around and any PL club can better stay clear.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

In December 2022, Erikson will be 30 years old. Dybala will be 29.

It’s likely that one of those seasons Dybala will spend adjusting to a league Erikson is already acclimatised to.

devilish

That's just Woodward PR non-sense, Dybala has been reluctant to join us from the very beginning. Truth is he didn't fancy us and turned us down but we decided to save face and briefed the press that him and his entourage are mercenaries. Woodward has a long history whenever top players have turned us down, this is no different.

Dybala wanted £10m net annually, that works out at £350k a week. We were paying Rooney £300k a week 6 years ago. As far as image rights issues is concerned, they have a value and it can be bought back but for that the player would be willing to join us in the 1st instance.
Look this is how I see things. Dybala was Juventus golden boy. He was basically what Rooney was when we signed him. As time went by Juventus grew more and more desperate to win the CL. It was that one flaw many kept insulting Juventus for. Such desperation became an obsession and Juventus usually better judgement was ignored in favour of instant success. Hence why Ronaldo was bought, a top top player whose contract/fee given simply didn't made sense.

It turned out that Dybala and Ronaldo couldn't play together mainly because they are similar players but also because Dybala felt a bit insulted by the situation. I mean imagine if we bought Messi when prime Giggs was here or we bought prime Ronaldo when Beckham was here. That's one hell of a vote of no confidence for such players especially at a club that isn't exactly renowned for taking good care of players. Nevertheless Dybala was committed to the cause.

Well Juventus cynical nature and obsession with the CL meant that Dybala was suddenly a surplus for them. So what they did? They did what they always do ie they kicked him out with little to no fun fare. Don't think that's Dybala's fault. Other players suffered the same treatment from Baggio to Vialli right to Ravanelli. So seriously I don't blame Dybala for being shocked the way they acted with him. That doesn't mean that once the dust settled down he didn't want to join us. Hell, I pity the fool who decides to overstay at Juventus.

This obsession has costed them more then Dybala. Marotta left following the club overriding his decision on Ronaldo while Allegri was shown the door because winning the league multiple times in succession is not good enough anymore.

Returning to the deal, the issue here is not Dybala reluctance of joining us. The real issue here is that the guy has FOOLISHLY sold his image rights off. That's frigging crazy. Unlike Juventus, United is a juggernaut in terms of merchandising and they can't afford hyping the guy up only for third parties to benefit from them. Meanwhile the guys who hold his image rights know that they found themselves suddenly sitting on a gold mine and are trying to maximise the profit out of it. Of course, if that was United's official line then people would start wondering why on earth would Woodward go for such a deal before actually changing what it entails. You don't go and buy a property for millions of pounds only to learn at the last minute that the land is owned by someone else. That's naive and silly. So to safe face we're blaming everything on Dybala.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Look this is how I see things. Dybala was Juventus golden boy. He was basically what Rooney was when we signed him. As time went by Juventus grew more and more desperate to win the CL. It was that one flaw many kept insulting Juventus for. Such desperation became an obsession and Juventus usually better judgement was ignored in favour of instant success. Hence why Ronaldo was bought, a top top player whose contract/fee given simply didn't made sense.

It turned out that Dybala and Ronaldo couldn't play together mainly because they are similar players but also because Dybala felt a bit insulted by the situation. I mean imagine if we bought Messi when prime Giggs was here or we bought prime Ronaldo when Beckham was here. That's one hell of a vote of no confidence for such players especially at a club that isn't exactly renowned for taking good care of players. Nevertheless Dybala was committed to the cause.

Well Juventus cynical nature and obsession with the CL meant that Dybala was suddenly a surplus for them. So what they did? They did what they always do ie they kicked him out with little to no fun fare. Don't think that's Dybala's fault. Other players suffered the same treatment from Baggio to Vialli right to Ravanelli. So seriously I don't blame Dybala for being shocked the way they acted with him. That doesn't mean that once the dust settled down he didn't want to join us. Hell, I pity the fool who decides to overstay at Juventus.

This obsession has costed them more then Dybala. Marotta left following the club overriding his decision on Ronaldo while Allegri was shown the door because winning the league multiple times in succession is not good enough anymore.

Returning to the deal, the issue here is not Dybala reluctance of joining us. The real issue here is that the guy has FOOLISHLY sold his image rights off. That's frigging crazy. Unlike Juventus, United is a juggernaut in terms of merchandising and they can't afford hyping the guy up only for third parties to benefit from them. Meanwhile the guys who hold his image rights know that they found themselves suddenly sitting on a gold mine and are trying to maximise the profit out of it. Of course, if that was United's official line then people would start wondering why on earth would Woodward go for such a deal before actually changing what it entails. You don't go and buy a property for millions of pounds only to learn at the last minute that the land is owned by someone else. That's naive and silly. So to safe face we're blaming everything on Dybala.
You can be infatuated to a club but once the board, manager say your time is up.. it means the end of road even if you're Cristiano Ronaldo at Madrid. Dybalas' position is cooked at Juve, it's a matter of where he goes.

The image rights thing is not a deal breaker, these things can be worked out. Would that prolong the nature of negotiations? Sure, but that's not going to topple the whole transfer. It was convenient for us to pin everything on the player but fact of the matter is we are simply not a draw that we pretend to be. I mean just now Woodward has briefed the journos that we've backed out of Eriksen transfer because he fancies Spain.

Status
Not open for further replies.