Paulo Dybala

Status
Not open for further replies.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Like I said, he was already earning more than Spurs highest earner, so any deal with him would have made him highest paid player at Spurs unless you think it's logical for player at his peak to take a wage cut to join Spurs from Juve.
There's a difference between becoming the highest earner, and earning a ridiculous amount more than everybody else. If he became just about the highest earner over Kane I could see us negotiating deals with a few of our other key players to boost their contracts, but there's no way if Dybala was on 350k p/w we wouldn't have had to offer Kane, Son etc all 300k p/w+ minimum deals. Which we can't afford in any circumstance and the club knows that more than anybody.

I imagine any contract we offered to Dybala was heavily bonuses incentive based, i.e score 15 league goals and get a certain amount. Maybe if he met every criteria he could get 350k p/w but I can't imagine any scenario in which that was simply his basic wage. Maybe I'm wrong, we should find out soon enough.

cyberman

Thats what I said, we could only afford to pay him that with Juve's help. I don't think it was the personal terms that were the problem its the commercial rights that we would have to pay and the ongoing legal case he faces which could mean we end up paying more for.

I dont quite get where the £120M or your £1M a week figures is coming from?
Losing Eriksen on a free instead of getting 50m this year works out at around 1m a week when he walks away for free.
You lose 50m on a transfer and have to spend the same (IMO) to replace him.
If you got Dybala and Sold Eriksen for slightly less then its a wash.

Classical Mechanic

I think you would have sold Eriksen if you got Dybala, with Juve paying some of the wage you could have worked around your wage structre.
Now you look to be losing Eriksen on a free and still need to replace him next summer. Thats a 120m odd (not including Eriksens wages) swing on one position.
See I can't help but think Levy was trying to blag us into bidding for Eriksen so that Real would be forced into a move 'He's going to United for £80m but you can have him for £60m'. It looked like United were not for playing the game but Levy ran the Dybala talks to try to add credence to the idea that Eriksen really was available.

I can't see Levy being dim enough to pay all that money for a player that didn't even want to play in England.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Obviously there is. Fan's beliefs vs Romano, easy way to find which is closer to truth.

Logical thinking is not thinking whether Spurs will break their wage structure, it's Dybala is already earning more than Spurs highest earner and he is at his peak at better club, so he wont take pay cut. So any deal with Spurs means he will be the highest earner at the club, at least till Kane signs new contract.
There was a few stories that Juve would continue to pay part of his wages, or a large part was performance related pay. You cant tell me if that's true or not, because Romano didn't mention it. You are totally free to believe what you like, I don't really care, just don't expect me to agree with you.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
There's a difference between becoming the highest earner, and earning a ridiculous amount more than everybody else. If he became just about the highest earner over Kane I could see us negotiating deals with a few of our other key players to boost their contracts, but there's no way if Dybala was on 350k p/w we wouldn't have had to offer Kane, Son etc all 300k p/w+ minimum deals. Which we can't afford in any circumstance and the club knows that more than anybody.

I imagine any contract we offered to Dybala was heavily bonuses incentive based, i.e score 15 league goals and get a certain amount. Maybe if he met every criteria he could get 350k p/w but I can't imagine any scenario in which that was simply his basic wage. Maybe I'm wrong, we should find out soon enough.
Most of the contracts are incentive based. He was on 250K already, so him earning 350K is not something outrageous. One of the reason I was surprised when Dybala was linked with Spurs.

I don't think it's the basic wage though, if that's the basic wage then Dybala would be earning 3X more than Pogba when it comes to basic pay. It's including bonuses, which are usually basic pay + signing on fee + loyalty bonus + any other bonuses like goals scored.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Losing Eriksen on a free instead of getting 50m this year works out at around 1m a week when he walks away for free.
You lose 50m on a transfer and have to spend the same (IMO) to replace him.
If you got Dybala and Sold Eriksen for slightly less then its a wash.
There isn't a great deal we can do about it though is there? He has chosen not to sign a contract and no team has bid for him? Plus he only cost us £10-15M.

roonster09

Scout
There was a few stories that Juve would continue to pay part of his wages, or a large part was performance related pay. You cant tell me if that's true or not, because Romano didn't mention it. You are totally free to believe what you like, I don't really care, just don't expect me to agree with you.
I don't really care whether you agree with me, all I'm saying is I believe Romano (whom I believe for all transfer stories) than Spurs fan's beliefs.

manunited1919

It's complicated because Dybala is in a legal dispute with his former agency, Star Images, who are suing Dybala for breach of a 10 year contract in 2017. IF they win, they own the image rights, not Dybalas current entourage. And that can get really expensive for the club. That's the big complication. Not to mention what might happen to the agent fees that will also become a dispute. Manchester United wanted no part of that potentially very expensive complication, so they pulled out of the deal.

Edit: I put this post in obnoxious bold because Im seeing a ton of speculation about the image rights. So here it is so everyone can spot it, and get moderately annoyed about the bolding.
Then Ed should have negotiated with Star Images. Heck, knowing Ed is more interested in marketing than in football, he should buy the image rights from Star Images and continue with the suit. Who needs Dybala if you can own his image rights?

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
I don't really care whether you agree with me, all I'm saying is I believe Romano (whom I believe for all transfer stories) than Spurs fan's beliefs.
Romano is reliable yes, but he might not know everything thats going on.
Saying that, i really couldn't see Juve paying a block of Dybalas wages when they were shifting him to free up some cash. Why would they sell a player then cover his wages too??

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
And I said you are entitled to do so a few posts back. You now say that £350K includes the signing on fee, a loyalty bonus (which he might not get) and other bonuses which he might not get.

Charles Miller

Only need to see how many times Lucas Moura find himself in position to score as SS to realize its the best club/system for Dybala.

roonster09

Scout
And I said you are entitled to do so a few posts back. You now say that £350K includes the signing on fee, a loyalty bonus (which he might not get) and other bonuses which he might not get.
Why won't he get loyalty bonus? They are spread across the contract and earns after every year completion.

Yes, 350K includes bonuses just like Pogba's 290K includes bonuses. That's how wages are reported and that's why you see Liverpool players reported wages are sometimes less than their previous clubs as they report just basic pay.

roonster09

Scout
Romano is reliable yes, but he might not know everything thats going on.
Saying that, i really couldn't see Juve paying a block of Dybalas wages when they were shifting him to free up some cash. Why would they sell a player then cover his wages too??
Yeah, Romano might not get everything correct but logically what's the probability of him getting right vs the fan's belief being right?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
If I'm not mistaken his image rights are an issue just for fielding him and having a shirt with his name on the back during games.
Nope, that falls within the club's image rights, not the player. Any club that signs dybala can use his image just fine so long as they're not using his own image but the club's

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Yeah, Romano might not get everything correct but logically what's the probability of him getting right vs the fan's belief being right?
Very likely. Fan belief is made up of an opinion based on reading all the available info out there and jumping to a conclusion. Most likely the very wrong conclusion.
Still, those in Italy haven't really had a good run this window regarding EPL clubs have they.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Why won't he get loyalty bonus? They are spread across the contract and earns after every year completion.

Yes, 350K includes bonuses just like Pogba's 290K includes bonuses. That's how wages are reported and that's why you see Liverpool players reported wages are sometimes less than their previous clubs as they report just basic pay.
A loyalty bonus is only paid if a player sees out his contract at the club in which he signed the contract, if he hands in a transfer request no bonus is paid, also as far as I am aware the size of loyalty bonus reflects the amount of contract he has seen out. What us Spurs fans are saying is Levy wont pay £350K a week for a player, what we are now hearing is, that's not the case anyway.

roonster09

Scout
A loyalty bonus is only paid if a player sees out his contract at the club in which he signed the contract, if he hands in a transfer request no bonus is paid, also as far as I am aware the size of loyalty bonus reflects the amount of contract he has seen out. What us Spurs fans are saying is Levy wont pay £350K a week for a player, what we are now hearing is, that's not the case anyway.
It's paid after completion of each year, not after end of the term.

roonster09

Scout
Very likely. Fan belief is made up of an opinion based on reading all the available info out there and jumping to a conclusion. Most likely the very wrong conclusion.
Still, those in Italy haven't really had a good run this window regarding EPL clubs have they.
At least we are glad that they have taken Lukaku off us for 70+ million pounds. About time we started to make some good transfers too.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
End of the day he didn't fecking sign so who cares!

Lo Celso in and I'll call it a decent window. Never expected Dybala nor allowed myself to believe it would happen so I'm not particularly disappointed.

Not that arsed about Sessegnon, seems we'll get him but honestly would much have preferred another option at rb .. but Poch knows what he is doing, I guess.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
At least we are glad that they have taken Lukaku off us for 70+ million pounds. About time we started to make some good transfers too.
Is selling Lukaku without a replacement a good idea, though? Although I've seen you linked to Mandzukic.

Anyway, not the thread for that!

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
I'm happy Lukaku is gone, i imagine he was having a very negative effect in the dressing room, but i'm a little annoyed we've not arranged a replacement for him. Coupled with not replacing Herrera and Fellaini, we're definitely weaker in the middle of the pitch this upcoming season

roonster09

Scout
I know, but the reported £350K a week includes this payment (basically its a forecasted amount IF he completes the full contract)?
Usually the calculation is what they earn in a year and then they will divide . Doubt any club will be paying the players every week.

roonster09

Scout
Is selling Lukaku without a replacement a good idea, though? Although I've seen you linked to Mandzukic.

Anyway, not the thread for that!
Maybe won't agree with me but I think it's a good idea. When it's a bad fit, it's better to get rid. Ideally we should have signed replacement but I don't mind relying on Greenwood as back up or Rashford/Martial rotating as CFs.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
End of the day he didn't fecking sign so who cares!

Lo Celso in and I'll call it a decent window. Never expected Dybala nor allowed myself to believe it would happen so I'm not particularly disappointed.

Not that arsed about Sessegnon, seems we'll get him but honestly would much have preferred another option at rb .. but Poch knows what he is doing, I guess.
I agree - if we can finalise Lo Celso and Sessegnon then that's a pretty good window all in all. Dybala would have made it fantastic but it was never happening. Still would like a right back but can live with it.

roonster09

Scout
I'm happy Lukaku is gone, i imagine he was having a very negative effect in the dressing room, but i'm a little annoyed we've not arranged a replacement for him. Coupled with not replacing Herrera and Fellaini, we're definitely weaker in the middle of the pitch this upcoming season
Yeah, midfield is for sure weaker compared to last season but defense is stronger.

I think we are going offtopic now, before mods come and warn us :D

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Nope, that falls within the club's image rights, not the player. Any club that signs dybala can use his image just fine so long as they're not using his own image but the club's
I only have a superficial undertanding of it, so you could be correct.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Yeah, midfield is for sure weaker compared to last season but defense is stronger.

I think we are going offtopic now, before mods come and warn us :D
Yup i agree haha.

Dybala would have made us better, but i don't think it would have been worth the issues it could have caused further down the line. He could have lasted one season then decided that he didn't want to be here anymore and forced a move. As much i'd have liked him here, i think it was a bullet dodged.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I agree - if we can finalise Lo Celso and Sessegnon then that's a pretty good window all in all. Dybala would have made it fantastic but it was never happening. Still would like a right back but can live with it.
Yeah, I'm content if everything goes through .. which says a lot!

Lo Celso/Ndombele gives a massive boost to our midfield. Sessegnon gives us another option at lb which was needed and he's one for the future for Poch to work on.

Not perfect, not the 'dream' window but a solid one, which is more than we've been given in recent years. We should make third imo.

As for Dybala .. as you say, it was the one which I think had hearts racing, but was always going to be next to impossible to actually finalise.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I get the feeling Juve really wanted to offload him so they could purchase Icardi

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
So wait. Juve apparently willing to let Dybala go on loan with obligation to buy next summer which would avoid the image rights issue...

Spurs could still make it happen. I hope not!

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
All these threads...

Dybala, Fernandes and Longstaff threads are like ghosts. They refuse to die. They linger and they terrify.

And they remind us of what could have been.

Status
Not open for further replies.