Paulo Dybala

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gasolin

The issue is that he doesn't prefer the bench at Juventus, that's in itself wrong. And it's audacious to make that statement when you know the context.
At the moment he refuses United's offer, he has no guarantee at Juventus and he was told quite clearly he was not wanted.
So that option aside, and maybe Spurs, he was negotiating but he was not able to tell himself:
"I have no future here, so I will talk to my agent, and try to find ways to fix the images situation so that I can find a way out".

Instead, he allegedly opted for some sort of status quo by going back to Juventus and eventually, Juventus folded.
There is an expression in Korea for that kind of behavior, when you don't really care at some point and just do it.
Some kind of image where you are proposing the others to cut your belly up, or something like that...

You are speculating he doesn't prefer the bench at Juventus, but if Juventus doesn't find a way to play with him, then the bench it is, and maybe this time it will make things clearer to everyone.

matt10000

Ferdinand is still auditioning for the 'Technical Director' job, then.

I really hope we find someone qualified.
What are the qualifications? Maybe we should recruit a fresh faced graduate with a degree in sports science who did a really good dissertation on Technical Directorship.

Gasolin

What are the qualifications? Maybe we should recruit a fresh faced graduate with a degree in sports science who did a really good dissertation on Technical Directorship.
I think he just has to sing "Glory Glory Glory United".

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
At the moment he refuses United's offer, he has no guarantee at Juventus and he was told quite clearly he was not wanted.
So that option aside, and maybe Spurs, he was negotiating but he was not able to tell himself:
"I have no future here, so I will talk to my agent, and try to find ways to fix the images situation so that I can find a way out".

Instead, he allegedly opted for some sort of status quo by going back to Juventus and eventually, Juventus folded.
There is an expression in Korea for that kind of behavior, when you don't really care at some point and just do it.
Some kind of image where you are proposing the others to cut your belly up, or something like that...

You are speculating he doesn't prefer the bench at Juventus, but if Juventus doesn't find a way to play with him, then the bench it is, and maybe this time it will make things clearer to everyone.
The image situation is simple to fix, someone has to pay and if the bill is really 40m than someone will have to pay Dybala at least 10m net which was allegedly an issue for both Spurs and United or just pay the bill for him. Dybala isn't signing a 5 years contract that doesn't allow him to afford that bill, that would be stupid.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
An outside influence can always help, but they all need to be thinking the same way otherwise it'll just cause problems. I hope this is why it's taking a while so we get the right man for the job.
That's why we need a DOF whose experienced in finding hungry young talent. People like Campos, Mitchell or Zorc. If we bring Rio or Fletcher then we might as well keep it simple and just rely to Ole or Phelan. Its just a matter of same old same old

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I don't think the notice matters, it's the nature of the job to only have 2 transfer windows instead of being able to move at any time.
But if your only option, with a pay increase, is somewhere else in the world, you will take it... if you don't, and prefer being sidelined at your job, than isn't this supposed to tell more about yourself?
When you're not at work do you just power down?

redshaw

Exploring his options is perfectly reasonable and he could even be part of the Juve setup again. I doubt England or Germany are at the top of his list so it could take some time to see who wants him and how much they're prepared to pay and to take it all in going from being the golden boy who spent a lot of his life in Italy.

I get Rio's stance but for someone like Dybala who might fancy themselves as top player or at least see who comes in, taking the first ticket to United is a risk as we're 6 years on from Fergie and sixth again with an unknown quantity of a manager and just two top four finishes and very little player success.

rojo81

Supports
Juventus

I don't think thats the case at all. Clearly the board wanted him out for financial reasons but if I have to bet, I would say Sarri wants him.

He was the captain on the last friendly and scored. He scored twice again today in another friendly.

Affirmation

An absolute quality player, a reminder of what could of been had we been able to sign him:

TN61

Supports
Inter
Trying his best to force Juventus to keep him. Juventus need to sell a few players for FFP purposes due to the large outlays they've made the past few seasons.

Mandzukic and Matuidi are the most likely victims with Dybala and Higuain resisting moves elsewhere.

Metalix

Supports
Juventus
He has been on fire in all pre season gamesand Our best player.
I think he will stay and will be our main CF this season.

Reactions: golden_blunder

Metalix

Supports
Juventus
Trying his best to force Juventus to keep him. Juventus need to sell a few players for FFP purposes due to the large outlays they've made the past few seasons.

Mandzukic and Matuidi are the most likely victims with Dybala and Higuain resisting moves elsewhere.
No that's not true. Our revenue has grown dramatically this year and we don't need to sell a single player for FFP.
The problem is we have too many players and has to sell at least 6 players to decrease the size of the squad or these 6 players will be out of CL squad due to the UEFA rules.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
No that's not true. Our revenue has grown dramatically this year and we don't need to sell a single player for FFP.
The problem is we have too many players and has to sell at least 6 players to decrease the size of the squad or these 6 players will be out of CL squad due to the UEFA rules.
Not to mention the billion pound a week you pay Ronaldo

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Seems like they should have tried to kick him out last season too!

Fer

Dybala could have been a big improvement compared with Lingard/Pereira. He is quality, but I remember that I wanted Felix during the transfer window. Another quality player to be used as No.10 is Havertz, he is one of the best young talents right now.

izec

Sarri will play him, he is a fan. It doesnt look likely that someone will buy him anyway and then Sarri will play him up front

Stojan Stamenic

Also missed a penalty last night...

Played in a false nine position, showed flashes of brilliance against really average squad. Doesn't contribute in pressing...

For us, it's just better to wait for Greenwood to bulk up and take that RWF/SS/F9 position

matt10000

Dybala could have been a big improvement compared with Lingard/Pereira. He is quality, but I remember that I wanted Felix during the transfer window. Another quality player to be used as No.10 is Havertz, he is one of the best young talents right now.
Not for us he wouldn’t, if he doesn’t want to play for is then there would be no point.

Metalix

Supports
Juventus
Also missed a penalty last night...

Played in a false nine position, showed flashes of brilliance against really average squad. Doesn't contribute in pressing...

For us, it's just better to wait for Greenwood to bulk up and take that RWF/SS/F9 position
Dybala is one of the hardest presser of the team. He is not static, always moves between line, presses hard and help the team in the build up.

Selling him would have been the worst selling of the club in this decade alongside Pogba

Last edited by a moderator:

noodlehair

"It's like..."
An absolute quality player, a reminder of what could of been had we been able to sign him:

This is still a pre-season game isn't it?

I mean I don't doubt he's a fantastic player and it's a great goal, but the likes of Nani used to pull of stuff like this in meaningless friendly games.

I still don't get why Juventus would have wanted to swap him for Lukaku. I get they have FFP issues, but there's better ways around it than by trying to ruin your team. This time next year unless they're in deep financial trouble they'll be desperate to keep hold of him.

Bearded One

This is still a pre-season game isn't it?

I mean I don't doubt he's a fantastic player and it's a great goal, but the likes of Nani used to pull of stuff like this in meaningless friendly games.

I still don't get why Juventus would have wanted to swap him for Lukaku. I get they have FFP issues, but there's better ways around it than by trying to ruin your team. This time next year unless they're in deep financial trouble they'll be desperate to keep hold of him.
Dybala is an amazing player. I wish we could sign him.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

If the image rights were the sticking point, which it pretty clear it was, Dybala doesn't have much say in the matter. He isn't allowed to play in England unless he owns them himself which he doesn't. So you pay £65M for the player, probably £20M to the current company that own them then probably either have to try and settle with the other company who is suing Dybala or wait and pay what a court decides? I don't think Dybala rejected United or Tottenham I simply think it was an incredibly difficult deal to do with so many parties involved.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
We could if we payed enough. I don't believe for a second in that " we want players who want to be here" shit . We just didn't want to give him huge salary.
Was that right move? Time will tell
Again its much more than just a salary its probably another £50M to the company(s) that own his rights. I can totally see why a young player, probably from a poor background would do it, what I cant see is why Dybala seemly breached his own contract to sign for another image rights company, other than greed that is.

Sterling Archer

We could if we payed enough. I don't believe for a second in that " we want players who want to be here" shit . We just didn't want to give him huge salary.
Was that right move? Time will tell
You're most certainly right. We used the same excuse with Eriksen. And then to top it off came out with a classless and uncalled statement on Bruno's passing. It is a very poor job of hiding how skint we were.

VJ1762

You're most certainly right. We used the same excuse with Eriksen. And then to top it off came out with a classless and uncalled statement on Bruno's passing. It is a very poor job of hiding how skint we were.
This. The board show no ambition. Real madrid went one year without the champions league, ans spent close to 300 million did they not? Barcelona spend upto 81% of their revenue on player wages and transfer fees. That to me shows that they are ambitious. And here we are, releasing some nonsense about Bruno and not willing to cough up money for Dybala, and we could have freed up the waste of space that is Sanchez. Feck this board, feck the glazers and feck the closet scouser Ed Woodward.

Nights

This. The board show no ambition. Real madrid went one year without the champions league, ans spent close to 300 million did they not? Barcelona spend upto 81% of their revenue on player wages and transfer fees. That to me shows that they are ambitious.
Spending 81% of turnover on wages isn’t ambitious; it’s stupidity. We aren’t Barca who have friendly banks/govt that throw out dodgy loans/bank deals for us.

And how has Real’s 300m spend gone so far? With Zidane already in meltdown and a complete disaster of a preseason.

I’m not absolving the Ed/Glazers, but throwing money at a problem isn’t always the best route, especially if the player wasn’t keen on coming to us.

dabeast

Dybala doesn’t fit how we play. He is too small, too slow, and not energetic.

Not all good players fit into all teams. E.g., Riquelme wouldn’t have ever made sense for Utd.

Sterling Archer

Spending 81% of turnover on wages isn’t ambitious; it’s stupidity. We aren’t Barca who have friendly banks/govt that throw out dodgy loans/bank deals for us.

And how has Real’s 300m spend gone so far? With Zidane already in meltdown and a complete disaster of a preseason.

I’m not absolving the Ed/Glazers, but throwing money at a problem isn’t always the best route, especially if the player wasn’t keen on coming to us.
Let's forget Madrid for a moment, even though I whined a plenty early in the window about their spending versus ours. I want to consider that we are taking a more conservative approach that fosters Ole's vision and bloods in a very talented group of academy players ready to step up. With that in mind, I need to see United dump quite a few players that contribute nothing to first team outside of taking up squad spaces I want for the youth.

Rojo - out. I don't want to see some drawn out transfer over fees.

Bailly - no contract renewal to the haggle with an Italian club next season. Just let it expire and let Axel get minutes. (if one of Rojo, Jones or Smalling goes then fine keep him. But we extended Jones so...)

Darmian - we didn't want him to go on a free so paid him how many million to sit in the stands. Our window is long gone and here he is still.

Just to make sure I haven't gone off , I really need to see players shifted instead of being held onto for comparably meaningless sums. If our philosophy is to trust the youth that's the way to go. To penny pinch over this deadwood reinforces that our lack of summer spending was more to do with the Glazers and Woodward not wanting to than this faith in Ole's method

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Let's forget Madrid for a moment, even though I whined a plenty early in the window about their spending versus ours. I want to consider that we are taking a more conservative approach that fosters Ole's vision and bloods in a very talented group of academy players ready to step up. With that in mind, I need to see United dump quite a few players that contribute nothing to first team outside of taking up squad spaces I want for the youth.

Rojo - out. I don't want to see some drawn out transfer over fees.

Bailly - no contract renewal to the haggle with an Italian club next season. Just let it expire and let Axel get minutes. (if one of Rojo, Jones or Smalling goes then fine keep him. But we extended Jones so...)

Darmian - we didn't want him to go on a free so paid him how many million to sit in the stands. Our window is long gone and here he is still.

Just to make sure I haven't gone off , I really need to see players shifted instead of being held onto for comparably meaningless sums. If our philosophy is to trust the youth that's the way to go. To penny pinch over this deadwood reinforces that our lack of summer spending was more to do with the Glazers and Woodward not wanting to than this faith in Ole's method
If you were running a company, this is how you would manage your assets? The Feck it strategy to management.

Oh Feck It, I hate my house carpet, I think I will firesale the place and sell it for a quid.

Oh Feck it, my car has an engine problem, I think I will flog it off for 10quid today and just get rid of it.

Sterling Archer

If you were running a company, this is how you would manage your assets? The Feck it strategy to management.
Absolutely. How many games have the three of them played in the years here? What percentage of matches did they miss. What did they contribute in the matches they did play? Were they game winners or were they liabilities more than not? Id be a fool to let leaky assets continue to tie my hands up from investing elsewhere.

Thank you for an analogy that further emphasizes my point.

Sterling Archer

@sglowrider
So I don't know when you went and edited in the following up 'Feck it' statements, but it's silly to have done so. None of that is how a business is run. They're also missing an important point - these players arent sitting around at United pro bono. They're being paid.

Bah, maybe I should stick to my strategy here as well:

Oh Feck it, this guy has absolutely no idea what he's talking about. Time to stop explaining basics and move on to another reply.

Abrazos

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Except we're not skint.

If a player is only willing to sign for the club on a large pay packet, I do not want. It means that he has ambition to do better than the bare minimum. Eriksen knows that his next contract is not going to be anywhere near what he's claiming now so of course he's pushing out to get the maximum he possibly can.

In regards to Bruno, the club endured a summer of shit from Bruno and his agents using us as leverage to try and find a buyer. I'd imagine that United made the call very early on and communicated that, so the fact it continued on was disrespectful to the club. Accordingly, I dont blame the club for coming out and outlining why they didn't sign him.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
I think the move to Spurs is still on, it was really close to going through. Apparently had agreed personal terms and met with Pochettino was keen on the move. Juventus were happy with the offer and need to balance the books. Was just time ran out on sorting out the details over the image rights.

Dybala to come in as Eriksen's replacement. Im not sure if Eriksen will move on the cheap with 6 months left, like 20-30mil. Or whether he will play out the whole season at Spurs and be a free agent.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I think the move to Spurs is still on, it was really close to going through. Apparently had agreed personal terms and met with Pochettino was keen on the move. Juventus were happy with the offer and need to balance the books. Was just time ran out on sorting out the details over the image rights.

Dybala to come in as Eriksen's replacement. Im not sure if Eriksen will move on the cheap with 6 months left, like 20-30mil. Or whether he will play out the whole season at Spurs and be a free agent.
It's never been about time with the image rights. Time doesn't make you come up with a solution to it, you either want to pay it or not. He was as close to signing for us, as he was signing for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.