Gaming PC Games

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I think you have to watch the stream to get the game.

evil_geko

Yeah, neither Watchdogs 1 or 2 interest me from what I've seen, third could be fun on the other hand, might try that one.

0le

The Witcher: Enhanced Edition (Director's Cut) is free on GoG store.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
As I don't have a console, first time getting to try out Horizon: Zero Dawn now. It's gorgeous! Only just started really think I'm going to enjoy it.

Wonder if Sony will port any others over.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/crusader-kings-iii?ref=hp

what's the deal with this? Getting mad reviews, is the series worth it? Seems like a massive timesink.

And of course it's on gamepass :lol:
CKII is legend among Grand Simulation nerds, so does EUIV

Read some gamer's summary on why they love CK II, it's hilarious

I have played a mod of CK2 that is set in the world of Game of Thrones…. and it is a perfect match. Gosh I had fun when I, the King of the North, defeated the Lannisters’ army in King Landings and became independent at last. Game of Thrones is a simplified modelization of feudality and CK2 too.
  • You got fiefdoms, vassals, dynasties, heirs, etc.
  • You can conspire against your enemies and plot an assassination… like the assassination of Rob Stark.
  • You can arrange marriages so you can hopefully get a claim on a foreign throne… like the marriage of the Baratheon and the Lannisters…
  • You can borrow money from the Jews… like the Iron Bank.
  • You’ve got religion, like the Faith of the Seven.
  • You’ve got white walkers : the Mongols.
  • etc.
This might not be as bloodthirstily evil as some of the other commenters out there, but once I was playing a marriage concept where I started out as the Count of Dublin and my whole aim was to retain that one county and just see how many other territories I could accrue for my dynasty by marriage alone (i.e. no conquest of titles, only inheriting titles to my dynasty by marrying off my kids to grow my dynasty, and only ever retaining one county level title for my dynasty head). After a couple of centuries I was running out of unrelated landed christian noblemen or heirs of landed christian noblemen to wed my wee ones to, so I requested my distant relative the pope to declare a crusade to recover Jerusalem in order to gain more christian titles to marry my family into.

Since I was only in charge of the wee county of Dublin several thousand leagues away and without much of a sizable military, I contracted the Knights of Santiago, the Livonian order, and the White Company to march into the Holy Land under my banner fighting my war while my good Dubliner troops drank merrily in the safe homely confines of the Temple Bar. Of course, the Muslims who lived in the Holy Land were at war with Byzantium, so my bought army of zealous mercs did the job I promised to pay them to do without much hassle many leagues away from home. The result was I was the new yet bankrupt king of Jerusalem who couldn’t afford to pay them.

This was against the theme of my gameplay since I only wanted to be the count of Dublin. So of course the two orders and the company asked me for a piece of the land they bled for since I didn’t pay for them to die in my stead. I reneged on my hired army, not paying them a cent, nor giving them an inch of land, instead I promptly had my 5th cousin Thrice removed the pope excommunicate them, then he allied with me and his troops took the zealous merc leaders into prison, and somehow (i don’t actually know how since none of my troops were involved) they ended up in my prison. I had their leaders executed and this somehow gave the titles to all 3 orders to me (again, IDK how. The game logic is a bit fuzzy for me). So I transferred the the three orders to some elderly kinsmen who served their purpose in breeding more kids and had deceased spouses and need for a new purpose in what was left in their life. And to thank my 5th cousin Thrice removed the Pope, I transferred the kingdom of Jerusalem and all included titles to him, and he promptly created some new dukes, counts and barons for me to continue etc. for me to wed my kids too. What makes this cruel? I went through all that effort, bloodshed, treachery and back stabbing simply to wed off less then a handful of offspring, and then I sat back and drank a beer!
Oh... and you can contracted with Syphilis, banging nobles across Europe and ended up creating a dynasty of syphilis ridden monarchy. You can go blind from too much sex (not confirmed) so there it is

PedroMendez

Acolyte

what's the deal with this? Getting mad reviews, is the series worth it? Seems like a massive timesink.

only if you have way too much time and like strategy games, where you have to look up a lot of things, that are not properly explained. In the past Paradox often stacked more and more systems/mechanics on top of each other instead of flashing out the core ideas. They are very ambitious but it doesn't always work out. Wide as an ocean and deep as a puddle comes to mind. Their monetization model is also a bit dodgy/scummy, so getting a Paradox game on something like Game Pass seems to be a better deal. They fill a niche that is fairly unique.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea

CKII is my favourite game of all time. It’s a fairly unique gaming experience, a weird cross between a RPG and strategy. I’ve played a multiplayer campaign with a couple of friends for the best part of the last decade and there’s a lot of funny stories and shit.

I echo that last post as it had a steep learning curve that was compounded by the fact that user accessibility was next to nought (I’ve recommended 2 to a lot of people who just dropped it instantly because the game failed to provide basic explanations). I’ve been following the sequel though and it does seem they’ve put more effort into explaining the game mechanics to make the game more accessible. And also like the poster said, their release strategy is notoriously crap, constant dlc (including day one).

Also I’m pretty sure you’re Irish, and one boon of that is it’s a really fun place to play, and start at.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Thanks lads, maybe I'll steer clear for now, I do like these sort of games but I'd rather not start something that can potentially waste away hundreds of hours of my life at the moment!

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Thanks lads, maybe I'll steer clear for now, I do like these sort of games but I'd rather not start something that can potentially waste away hundreds of hours of my life at the moment!
Good call. If you were to get into it, it's probably third behind only WoW and FM as a timesink. :lol:

Kaos

"Tom Clancy: The Division" is free to keep on Ubisoft Store until Sept 8th:
https://register.ubisoft.com/the-division/en-US

"Hitman 2016" and "Shadowrun Collection" are the free games to keep on the epic store until this Thursday:
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/hitman/standard-edition
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/bundles/shadowrun-collection
Big thanks on flagging shadowrun! I remembered finishing the first in the series and wanting to move on to Hong Kong, so this is convenient.

Would hugely recommend to anyone who likes classic turn-based rpg mechanics, or just want a lovely cyberpunk fix.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Big thanks on flagging shadowrun! I remembered finishing the first in the series and wanting to move on to Hong Kong, so this is convenient.

Would hugely recommend to anyone who likes classic turn-based rpg mechanics, or just want a lovely cyberpunk fix.
It's actually decent.

Still...there's just something missing from the Snes classic :(

hmchan

Nickosaur

Been playing The Long Dark via Gamepass. It's great! Anyone else tried it? It's a pretty realistic survival game, set in the Canadian wilderness. Think it's been out for a while now but I'd highly recommend trying it out if you haven't. The gameplay is pretty brutal in terms of keeping warm, finding food and water, and a place to sleep at night. Makes exploring very tense, as your save is deleted when you die. So you really need to prepare for even the shortest trips.

Tiber

I have a good selection of about 25 games on Epic now, ranging from GTA V to Football manager. Think I only paid for AC Odyssey, and that cost like £3 after using a £10 voucher.

Defiantly worth picking up rocket league just to get the £10 voucher

Tiber

I downloaded sea of thieves on Gamepass last night. Love the art style, but I was bored stiff by the end of the first mission, actually sailing the boat was just dull.

Does it get better?

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I downloaded sea of thieves on Gamepass last night. Love the art style, but I was bored stiff by the end of the first mission, actually sailing the boat was just dull.

Does it get better?
Yes. But it's one of those games you get out what you put in, it's not really for the casuals and people who struggle to multi-task.

If you like pvp, for example, the battles can be very intense and huge fun. Single player can still be a great time, I love hunted skele ships on a solo sloop for example (and it can take real skill too) but if you are just doing missions then you might find it gets dull fast. Fishing is pretty fun though :lol:

Carolina Red

Staff
Took Elite Dangerous for a spin the other day and then gave up to play Hearts of Iron IV instead since I didn't want to bore myself to death.
I just got HOI 4 and am trying to adjust to the differences between it and HOI 3.

On HOI 3 you could completely delete your military and then rebuild it as you want it to be prior to hitting “go” on the clock. Is there any way to do that on HOI 4?

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I just got HOI 4 and am trying to adjust to the differences between it and HOI 3.

On HOI 3 you could completely delete your military and then rebuild it as you want it to be prior to hitting “go” on the clock. Is there any way to do that on HOI 4?
I genuinely have no idea. Whenever I've had to delete armies I have to take an age just selecting them all one by one.

Tiber

HOI4 is fantastic.

You can delete your entire army anytime you want, but im not sure I would recommend doing so

Carolina Red

Staff
HOI4 is fantastic.

You can delete your entire army anytime you want, but im not sure I would recommend doing so
I genuinely have no idea. Whenever I've had to delete armies I have to take an age just selecting them all one by one.
I figured out what the name of the game mode I’m talking about is...

HOI 3 had a “Custom Game Mode” that let you do anything you wanted with your country pre-starting the clock at no penalty and changes appeared instantly when you started the clock. HOI 4 apparently doesn’t have the “custom game mode” option, only a “custom game rules” option.

I’m still adjusting to the new interface of HOI 4 and the it’s little quirks and stuff as compared to 3. I’ve heard that it is way more user friendly and less micromanagement once you get used to the changes.

Tiber

I figured out what the name of the game mode I’m talking about is...

HOI 3 had a “Custom Game Mode” that let you do anything you wanted with your country pre-starting the clock at no penalty and changes appeared instantly when you started the clock. HOI 4 apparently doesn’t have the “custom game mode” option, only a “custom game rules” option.

I’m still adjusting to the new interface of HOI 4 and the it’s little quirks and stuff as compared to 3. I’ve heard that it is way more user friendly and less micromanagement once you get used to the changes.
When you do adjust to HOI4 be sure to check out Old World Blues, probably my favourite mod for any game: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1303741106

Tiber

Tiber

Saw a couple of folks mention Hogs Of War in the console generation thread. Have been determined to play it again ever since.

Turns out the Steam/GOG version is totally broken, doesn't work on Windows 10 at all and even if you do find a complicated work around or use an older PC, the enemy pigs don't move on the PC version.

Took a bit of fiddling to get an emulator working and to get a DS4 to run with the emulator, but I am finally able to play this masterpiece of a game

Last edited:

Tiber

Just got a reminder why I prefer console gaming even though I have a decent PC.

Took a notion to play New Vegas again, decided to download some mods to freshed it up. Downloaded Vortex and a load of mods, ranging from loading screens to graphics overhauls. Took a few hours to download it all because of Nexus speed caps, but eventually it was all downloaded and Vortex said they were installed and ready to go.

Obviously the game didn't actually detect any of them and nothing changed :houllier: excellent waste of a few hours

0le

Last edited:

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Sonic The Hedgehog 2 is free to own on Steam (there is a bug at the moment when adding it, should be fixed soon...):
https://store.steampowered.com/app/71163/Sonic_The_Hedgehog_2/

Free to own game offers on epic game store this week are ABZU and Rising Storm 2: Vietnam:
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/abzu/home
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/rising-storm-2-vietnam/home
Its been pretty clear for a while that Epic seems to be going for the jugular with regards to Steam. Appears inevitable that one of the two will be looking to aquire the likes of Uplay etc. In the future to gain an upper hand.