Television Peaky Blinders

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
First episode up on IPlayer. Anybody caught this yet?

Getting positive reviews it seems, it looks pretty interesting - being billed as Birmingham's 'Boardwalk Empire'. I imagine there is less big expensive set-pieces and more grit and action with it being BBC - hopefully I'm right.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I half watched it whilst doing something else, so I've no idea what happened, but it looked really good. Nice lighting and such.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
I've never heard such a mish-mash of accents before. It was impossible to tell what most of them were trying to be, they were so bad.

Other than that, yeah, it was ok. Did anyone else replay the bit where that girl got out of bed with no knickers on three times, I know I did?

Brophs

The One and Only
Did many of you watch this in the end? I'm run through most of the series in the last few days. It's quite good. As was mentioned, the accents are hilariously bad at times. At one point his sister, who is supposed to be brummie, suddenly shouts something in a very middle class, southern accent, then immediately reverts to the brummie twang. But once you ignore that it's not bad at all. It's quite similar to Boardwalk Empire and is just as visually striking in its own way. Cillian Sheridan is also excellent as Thomas, though I usually find him pretty watchable in most things he's in.

Mockney

:lol:

Of all the accents that have ever been mangled on TV and screen, I'd imagine Irish is the frontrunner by a country mile. Sorry, a cnut-try moyle.

Brophs

The One and Only
What I can never understand is the fact they have vocal coaches who are supposed to stop them sounding like this. What the feck are they being paid for?

Mockney

Yeah, but everyone believes they can do a brilliant Irish accent. My entire Uni pulling outlook depended on it.

Mockney

I once spent an entire New York cab ride speaking in what I believed to be a perfect Irish accent, under the reasonable assumption Americans know feck all about any other countries but love the Irish. To my mind it was my greatest achievement and I spent the night in a blur of arrogant bliss. It was 3 days later before my friend told me the cab driver was from Galway and had been making disapproving eyes at him the whole way.

I still claim the win.

I also have several almost identical stories with American, French and Italian people.

mufcwarm92

Watched the first ep of this when it was first out. It looked a decent show but having spent 3 years at Birmingham Uni I just couldn't get past the dreadful rendition of the Brummy accent from some of the cast. Just awful.

Keenst

I watched it all when it was on. Style over substance but it was enjoyable enough.

The accents were a joke. Hard to understand the casting process sometimes; there was an American playing a Northern Irish man, an English actress playing an Irish girl and an Irish actor playing the lead Brummy Gangster? Strange.

Mockney

I was very enamoured with the look of it, until I realised the entire series seemed to be shot on the same, one, fake street.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
Trying to watch the repeat.

Are we really expected to take Brummie gangsters seriously?

Also, what's with the haircuts?
How could such a G like yourself be intimidated by any gangsters Colin?

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
I am a double hard bastard, don't you know?
Instead of razor blades in your flat cap, Col, you have sharp, pointy Porsche keys.

Peaky Blinders really is quite good though!

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Three episodes into this now. Genuinely like it - solid plot thus far and some cracking cinematography.

The accents, however, are quite difficult to overlook. The two lead Shelbys have entirely different accents, which is just absurd.

Art

Art the artist
What I like about this show is the way its shot. Beautiful sets, costumes and the plot in itself isn't bad. It can only get better now that Tom Hardy is in it.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
The latest episode was fantastic, the absolute best of the show thus far.

My favourite character at the minute is Arthur Shelby. I think Paul Anderson's been great.

LARulz

The latest episode was fantastic, the absolute best of the show thus far.

My favourite character at the minute is Arthur Shelby. I think Paul Anderson's been great.
Agreed, Arthur is the best character currently. He was good last season but was all about his brother. This season is still about his brother but every scene Arthur is in he is captivating. Makes you realise he's not just a mad dog, he does have issues and Tommy needs to at least wake up to that. I'd be gutted if Arthur died this season, or any.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
Four episodes in on the Netflix right now. So far pretty good. I can look past the shitty brum accents as brum accents are generally shite anyway.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
I just watched the first season on Netflix and am going to watch the second. Thought it was good. The accents are strange. Sam Neill was born in Tyrone but obviously left at a very young age and only ever visited Ian Paisley when he returned. Still though, it's well made and the plot is decent. I'd recommend it.

MoBeats

Conspiracy Buff
It's ok. The missus fancies whatsisname, so we finished it long after I got bored. Made the missus a bit randy so gets a 6 or 7 out of ten from me. Maybe a 6.5.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
I loved it, one of my favourite series'. I do love a good British gangster drama though.

Cillian Murphy is absolutely brilliant in it. The character of Thomas Shelby is one of the coolest I've seen in ages. Can't wait for the third series.

Oh, and Paul Anderson. You can't have an English gangster drama without Paul Anderson.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
Thought this was back on from the thread bump. feckers.

Loved the second series.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
One of the best shows on tele. Proper excited for its return.

Cillian Murphy and Paul Anderson :cool:

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Only 3 episodes? That can't be true surely?

Imdb have it as 6, which is what I'd expect.

SqueakyWeasel

Only 3 episodes? That can't be true surely?

Imdb have it as 6, which is what I'd expect.
problem is they have no air dates (other than the first 2 episodes) and all remaining are listed simply as 2015 which we know is not true. Think that's a holding page that has never been updated. Got my news from here :
http://epguides.com/PeakyBlinders/

Perhaps there's a summer break and season three will complete in the autumn when it normally airs or something

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
problem is they have no air dates (other than the first 2 episodes) and all remaining are listed simply as 2015 which we know is not true. Think that's a holding page that has never been updated. Got my news from here :
http://epguides.com/PeakyBlinders/

Perhaps there's a summer break and season three will complete in the autumn when it normally airs or something
Hopefully just hasn't got the full listing on that website. Only 3 episodes would be utter shit, as would 6 with a summer break.