Pedri | Barcelona player

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Just checked his Wiki (as you do) and it says Barca signed him last year for €5m on a 5 year contract?

Makes no sense people saying his contract is up next year.

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
Just checked his Wiki (as you do) and it says Barca signed him last year for €5m on a 5 year contract?

Barca only signed him until 22, but they have an option to extend the contract for another 2 years. Since Pedri is showing this worldclass performance, barca wants to give him a completely new contract and a new buyout impossible to trigger. Personally I dont see any possibility of him leaving. No matter how desperately barca needs money. They'll rather take another loan, than sell this raw diamond. Pedri loves Iniesta and barca, his career is just starting and he is also a very humble and down to earth guy, who isn't chasing the highest salary like de Ligt for example.

Reactions: Sultan

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Barca only signed him until 22, but they have an option to extend the contract for another 2 years. Since Pedri is showing this worldclass performance, barca wants to give him a completely new contract and a new buyout impossible to trigger. Personally I dont see any possibility of him leaving. No matter how desperately barca needs money. They'll rather take another loan, than sell this raw diamond. Pedri loves Iniesta and barca, his career is just starting and he is also a very humble and down to earth guy, who isn't chasing the highest salary like de Ligt for example.
That actually makes sense as he would have been too young to sign a long contract at that point.

There's no way Barca don't activate that extra 2 years.

Roux

Been the player of the tournament for me - love watching this this type of creative player, he players like an experienced 28yo - brilliant footballing IQ for an 18yo.

jesperjaap

I just think its great to see so many great youngsters starting to come through now.

Apart from Mbappe along with maybe DeJong and DeLigt, nearly all the talk has been of older players as most of the big ones coming through didnt really live up to the billing. I think the last 3 years the premierships top 2 and Bayern, most othe clubs havent looked great and things were going stale.

But now there are some huge talents 21 or under in every league establishing themselves. We are lucky that a good 4/5 of them are actually English and that we have two at our own club now. If we were able to add Camavinga that is some trio of young players that we have, not to mention the possibilities of Amad and Hannibal who both may have ability to make that step up. So yes Pedri really does look a fantastic player, with eh maturity of his performances at just 18 and there are a few at Barcelona, maybe he is the best of the bunch....but we shouldnt be jealous, we have our own crop too

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Pedri, Fati and Garcia will be the bedrock of Barca for the next decade
I’ve not been impressed with Garcia, really. Fati was a star but I worry he’s crocked now forever. Pedri is a serious serious player though.

Says it all that only Messi played more minutes for Barcelona this season.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I actually tried to recall a central midfielder performing with that level of consistency at the age of 18, but I came up empty. Sure there have been many wonderkid midfielders before, but they nearly always played in more advanced roles (wide or as CAM) with far more liberty to make mistakes.

To run the midfield in the middle of the pitch with that much composure and quality in a Euro Semi Final? Pretty much unheard of. Unless he gets his development disrupted by injuries, the lad will be in the top group of CMs for the next 15 years or so.
I think it was 65 out of 67 successful passes in 120 minutes. In a semi final. Against Italy. That’s bonkers.

Completely agree with the midfield thing too — most of the elite CMs tend to start out wide or further up the pitch because they just can’t run the middle at such a young age. I think back to the likes of Modric starting out as more of a winger etc. Pedri’s already a first name CM at 18. Mental.

cyberman

The way people talk you would think he was a La Masia product with undying love for Barca.
He has been there for a year, there is nothing to suggest he will stand by Barca to the bitter end.
We 100 percent should get in his ear.

bsCallout

Pedri and Frenkie putting to bed the idea that a young player can't start at CM.

Hello, Camavinga.

izec

Has been brilliant. If you are good enough, you are old enough. Most are not good enough that age, he is.

rotherham_red

I actually tried to recall a central midfielder performing with that level of consistency at the age of 18, but I came up empty. Sure there have been many wonderkid midfielders before, but they nearly always played in more advanced roles (wide or as CAM) with far more liberty to make mistakes.

To run the midfield in the middle of the pitch with that much composure and quality in a Euro Semi Final? Pretty much unheard of. Unless he gets his development disrupted by injuries, the lad will be in the top group of CMs for the next 15 years or so.
Fabregas was better at the same age. Amazing though Pedri is, he isn't on the same plane as Cesc for me.

rotherham_red

Fabregas was more of a goal threat but Pedri seems a more polished all round central midfielder. That’s my (failing) memory of 18 year old Fabregas anyway.
I think Fabregas was the more complete player at 16/17 when he broke through. The goal threat came later, when he was around 19 or so I think.

C'mon FC

Supports
1. FC Köln
If I recall correctly David Silva was from Gran Canaria too. Pedri reminds me of him with his play style, but the later seems already physically way advanced compared to Silva.
It's such a shame that the Spaniards are such Sissies and always falling, acting, laying on the pitch. Pedri could be one of my favourite players...

Smacky The Frog

Have enjoyed watching him more than probably anyone else in this tournament (outside of Pogba against Switzerland). Reads the game like someone who's being doing this for a decade. Don't really see much of Fabregas or Foden in him, seems much more in the Iniesta mold where he holds the midfield together and keeps things moving in the right direction with extreme efficiency and elegance, always making the best decision for the team. Great passer through the lines too when the opportunity presents itself.

Could one day become as good as Billy Gilmour if he keeps this up.

abundance

Supports
Inter
Been the player of the tournament for me - love watching this this type of creative player, he players like an experienced 28yo - brilliant footballing IQ for an 18yo.
He also looks like a 28yo, that stoic gaze in the face...

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
What's his release clause and why has Flo not triggered it yet

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
What a game he had last night. Unreal talent, would be amazing if there is a chance to get him

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
What's his release clause and why has Flo not triggered it yet
He has said several times (perhaps too much) that Madrid did not accept him, or I do not know what happened to him in the test, and he has vowed love to Barcelona several times.
In fact, for some Spanish Taliban Madrid fans, he is unlikeable and overrated

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Pedri and Frenkie putting to bed the idea that a young player can't start at CM.

Hello, Camavinga.
Frenkie De Jong was 22 when he moves to Barca, Camavinga is only 18. De Jong had 4 years more experience before starting for Barca so was clearly at a much more advanced level then Camavinga would be if he came to United.

bsCallout

Frenkie De Jong was 22 when he moves to Barca, Camavinga is only 18. De Jong had 4 years more experience before starting for Barca so was clearly at a much more advanced level then Camavinga would be if he came to United.
To be fair, By the age of 18 Camavinga has had two full seasons in Ligue 1 and played in the CL. By that age Frenkie hadn't even made the full Ajax team, then he started doing the business at around 20.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
they bought him for 5 million euros, but it will cost them 25 million more when he plays 100 official games for them. good deal.
His buyout clause is 70m euros?

We should pay it. They get 70m euros and save on the inevitable 20m they need to pay once he hits 100 games. By Barcelona accounting standards, that's a 90m euros sale for them to cook their books with.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He has said several times (perhaps too much) that Madrid did not accept him, or I do not know what happened to him in the test, and he has vowed love to Barcelona several times.
In fact, for some Spanish Taliban Madrid fans, he is unlikeable and overrated
Yeah it was a tongue in cheek comment, and yeah, i've heard about that stuff about us passing on him

Honestly...florentino spending over €100M on brazilian kids and letting two generational spanish talents walk to barcelona for peanuts without putting up much of a fight should constitute malpractice. All the while talking big about investing in young talent...

Ffs