Pedri | Barcelona player

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
It's not commendable in the slightest. The club need to overrule the kid and protect him from himself. If they don't, he'll be burnt out faster than Fabregas or a host of young prodigious talents who were effectively spent by their late 20's.
Barca dont care... they just need him to boost his profile so they can ell him in a season or two for as much money as possible - same with fati

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Barcelona should really protect him throughout the season.. I can imagine he wants to immediately continue play, but I think Barca should really force him to take an (at least) two week vacation.. You need some mental time off, even though I can imagine it must be hard for Pedri seeing the boys starting the Primera without you..

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
IMO it's irresponsible of Spain to even take him to the Olympics in the first place. Should have been either Euros or Olympics, not both.
This - I thought it was strange how many players Spain took to both tournaments. Would've expected the clubs to veto most Euro players from playing in the Olympics.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Barca dont care... they just need him to boost his profile so they can ell him in a season or two for as much money as possible - same with fati
But his performances are likely to take a dip, or, he's setting himself up for injuries due to fatigued muscles etc. which would be counterproductive and a big backfire.

But if their fitness department is anything like their financial, nothing is beyond them!

diarm

I don't know what their game is here, but the answer is surely us taking Frenkie De Jong off their wage bill for them?

Hoof the ball

He played in 52 games last season for Barcelona for a total combined minutes of 3,526 minutes. He's only played in 10 matches for Spain, totalling 842 minutes, in his entire career.

Greenwood played in 3,149 minutes in the league last season.
Foden - 3,374 minutes
Rashford - 4,146 minutes
Mbappe - 3,720 minutes
Haaland - 3,540 minutes

He played a lot. Unusual? No, he was a key player. His minutes show that he wasn't pummelled into the ground, unlike how we dealt with an injured Rashford.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

Pedri cuts his holidays (Barcelona and Spain agreed he wouldn't be called up to give him a break) by two days and returns to training today instead of Wednesday.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Pedri cuts his holidays (Barcelona and Spain agreed he wouldn't be called up to give him a break) by two days and returns to training today instead of Wednesday.
I get the impression with him that he’s enjoying the attention over this nonsense and doesn’t seem to have anyone looking after him to tell him how stupid it is for his long term prospects.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I get the impression with him that he’s enjoying the attention over this nonsense and doesn’t seem to have anyone looking after him to tell him how stupid it is for his long term prospects.
I don't think it's that big a deal. There's training and there's training. I'm sure guys like Ronnie have been training every day for years now, but that includes some very low intensity stuff on some days. I'm sure the staff of his respective teams manage that intensity very carefully.

Taking an extended break is mostly for your mental health. A lot of pro's on holiday still run for example.

FatTails

Risky from Barca, I wouldn't mind Liverpool paying that amount of money for him and I'm sure there are other clubs thinking the same.

Of course he would need to agree to leave Barcelona for North West England :lol:
Just signed a new contract until 2026 with a €1bn release clause.

The North East of England is more likely now than the North West.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
I don’t get the laughter. What amount should they have chosen instead? They are forced to have a release clause after all.

Sviken

I don’t get the laughter. What amount should they have chosen instead? They are forced to have a release clause after all.
Plus, it's not like any team is gonna decline a billion for fecking Pedri. I'd even take that money for prime Messi.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
They don't even deserve to be in headlines after that financial fiasco. They would take 200-300 millions eaaily for him considering their debts, this is just bullshit PR for their new president for naive fans to clap.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
You don't find the a release clause set to a billion ridiculous??

I certainly do, even of it's just a placeholder number it's just a ridiculous amount.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I'm kind of disappointed that Barca, even at their lowest, have been able to tie Pedri down to a new contract.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
You don't find the a release clause set to a billion ridiculous??

I certainly do, even of it's just a placeholder number it's just a ridiculous amount.
Not at all. It’s just a way of staying in control of a potential future transfer. There’s nothing ridiculous about it. It’s perfectly reasonable.

Champ

Not at all. It’s just a way of staying in control of a potential future transfer. There’s nothing ridiculous about it. It’s perfectly reasonable.
Whatever mate,

a billion Euros is ridiculous no matter which angle you are looking at it. Considering the highest transfer fee ever was 222m Euros, and nothing has come close to that in 4 years, setting a release clause to a billion is well over the top!!

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Whatever mate,

a billion Euros is ridiculous no matter which angle you are looking at it. Considering the highest transfer fee ever was 222m Euros, and nothing has come close to that in 4 years, setting a release clause to a billion is well over the top!!
Again, they are required to have a release clause. They can still sell below that number if they want. It’s really just a way to stay on top of things. That’s all it is. Release clauses like this one are absolutely common in Spain.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
People laughing at that 1B clause. Yet it's an absolute triumph for Laporta.

Champ

Again, they are required to have a release clause. They can still sell below that number if they want. It’s really just a way to stay on top of things. That’s all it is. Release clauses like this one are absolutely common in Spain.
I am aware of that thanks :lol:
And I am also intelligent enough to understand why they have done it.
But it's still ridiculous...it's a billion euros for heaven's sake :lol::lol:

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Surely having a release clause of 1 billion means there's effectively no release clause, which makes the whole rule (that there must be a release clause) pointless.

Abraxas

What's the big deal? I'd have done exactly the same if I was senior management at Barcelona. They simply want to say he's not for sale until they deem he should be for sale. The best way to do that is to kick a release clause into the mud.

At what point would it not be ridiculous? 300 mill? 400 mill? It has to be pretty high as we don't know how good he'll become but probably bloody good. It's just a number plucked from thin air to achieve an aim, I don't believe there's any grand point beyond that.

Sylar

I am aware of that thanks :lol:
And I am also intelligent enough to understand why they have done it.
But it's still ridiculous...it's a billion euros for heaven's sake :lol::lol:
I don't understand where you are going with this?

What would you like to have seen to make it not ridiculous?