Pedro Gonçalves aka Pote | Sporting CP player

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Another week, another Primeira Liga player thread — this time someone billed as the successor to Bruno Fernandes!

Signed for Wolves back in 2017 along with Rúben Neves, but didn't leave a major impression for the first team. Subsequently sold to newly promoted Famalicão, where he quickly emerged as a standout player — logging 7 goals with 8 assists, and finishing in the Top 6. Moved to Sporting CP in the summer (partly funded by United-Fernandes?) and is currently make a case for being the most in-form player in any major domestic league, while guiding his team to the top of the table. Flash in the pan, or here to stay?

Full Name: Pedro António Pereira Gonçalves
Date of birth: Jun 28, 1998 (22)
Nationality: Portugal

Height: 1,73 m
Position: Midfielder - Central Midfield
Squad Number: 28
Foot: Right
Contract expires: Jun 30, 2025

Transfermarkt link.

MsNuno

Supports
Wolves
He stayed with neves in his house but still was homesick and wanted to return to Portugal
Good to see him doing well

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I don’t know if I agree with the tag new Bruno Fernandes, but this days every new player is the new Messi or new Ronaldo, as in the past every number 10 in Argentina was the new Maradona.

What I can say one thing they have in common is that they have a great relationship with scoring goals, more than being that type of players who have a high percentage of passing accuracy, they cán score a goal out of nowhere.

Tbf I think he should stay at least more 1 season here in Portugal, hopefully if we have a decent team next season he can play European Football after the Lask fiasco.

Anyway one thing that doesn’t look great for us is that we only have 50% of his economic rights the other half belongs to his former club, which means it belongs to Mendes.

And we all know he doesn’t want his players to stay much time on the same club, particularly if he isn’t playing on a top league.

But his development on the last 12 months has been interesting. Don’t think United needs him now, but I predict Mendes will certainly sell him to England in the future.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
What type of player is he? 9 goals from central midfield seems mad! Is he an actual central midfielder?

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
What type of player is he? 9 goals from central midfield seems mad! Is he an actual central midfielder?
Actually he played last season as a number 8/10, but for us we play with a 3/4/3 where he is playing on the front 3, more a inside forward than a winger if I can say this.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
There's no way he keeps up his current goalscoring rate for the whole season and he's not ready for a big move, at least not yet. He'd look completely average if he went to United right now. He's been great for us though, won us a bunch of points already.

He's not like Bruno at all, very different type of player. And Bruno played for us when we played like crap while now the team is playing well overall and that's what's getting the best out of Pote.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
He has been absolutely brilliant for us this season. 9 goals and 1 assist in 7 games Pedro Goncalves (Pote) and Joao Palhinha have been the key players to Sporting's fantastic and unexpected start to the season.

The small diminutive midfielder has shown a hell of an eye for goal and has a goal scoring ratio strikers would be jealous of. In Sporting he has been deployed further up and closer to goal where as in Famalicao he was more of the creator of the team. His IQ is very high and he knows how to get into the little spaces in the final third.

It is still very early to tell or predict what his peak is but at just 22 he can get even better.

Does he have the clear undeniable quality Bruno had? No but this can change who knows.

The real question is, is he a Bruno Fernandes (a player whose level is much higher then Portugal and would succeed in a bigger league) or is he a Pizzi ( a player who stands out in the Portuguese league but would struggle in the EPL level)

MY opinion is I am leaning towards him being capable to play at a higher level BUT I think it is still too early for me to put all my chips on one side and for me to make an assertive opinion.

I will for sure keep the thread updated though.

9 goals in 7 games is not an accident though, the kid has something about him for sure.

SportingCP96

Supports
There's no way he keeps up his current goalscoring rate for the whole season and he's not ready for a big move, at least not yet. He'd look completely average if he went to United right now. He's been great for us though, won us a bunch of points already.

He's not like Bruno at all, very different type of player. And Bruno played for us when we played like crap while now the team is playing well overall and that's what's getting the best out of Pote.
I agree with all of this.

Ekeke

This guy looks like he could be another Bruno Fernandes in a couple of years. Now has 11 goals and 2 assists from 12 league starts helping Sporting to the top of the league, playing as 1 of the 2 AMs narrow behind a striker.

SportingCP96

Supports
This guy looks like he could be another Bruno Fernandes in a couple of years. Now has 11 goals and 2 assists from 12 league starts helping Sporting to the top of the league, playing as 1 of the 2 AMs narrow behind a striker.
Still has a lot to work out in his game but he is for sure a talented player. Always seems to be at the right place and the right time.

Bruno was still a much better player at Sporting though.

TheReligion

Abusive
I think the Sporting fans see them as chalk and cheese to be honest. As in style of play.

Ekeke

Still has a lot to work out in his game but he is for sure a talented player. Always seems to be at the right place and the right time.

Bruno was still a much better player at Sporting though.
For sure, but hes just 22. Time for him to be just as good in coming seasons

SportingCP96

Supports
For sure, but hes just 22. Time for him to be just as good in coming seasons
I hope the young core of this team stays together for at least another year or 2. Lots of big talents there.