Penalties need to be reformed

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Should penalties be reformed?

At the moment goalies cannot move off their line until the ball has been struck, technically they're not to ever come off the line. Whereas the penalty taker can take as long as he wants and have a fancy run up and even stop mid run, see where the goalie is going to dive and then strike the ball.

This puts the advantage fully in the favour of the taker, where a penalty kick should be 50/50.

Should penalties be reformed in this regard? I'd go as far as saying that once a run up has started you cannot stop and you have to strike the ball. Would make things much more 50/50 and fair.

SirAnderson

Since the opposition took away the clear advantage by fouling and creating the penalty, penalties should rightly favor the penalty taker and not try to make it 50/50.

Glorio

At the moment goalies cannot move off their line until the ball has been struck, technically they're not to ever come off the line. Whereas the penalty taker can take as long as he wants and have a fancy run up and even stop mid run, see where the goalie is going to dive and then strike the ball.

This puts the advantage fully in the favour of the taker, where a penalty kick should be 50/50.

Should penalties be reformed in this regard? I'd go as far as saying that once a run up has started you cannot stop and you have to strike the ball. Would make things much more 50/50 and fair.
Didn't seem to bother Emi Martinez

cyberman

No because the defending team already has the penalty advantage by being the ones who have to give it away.
it should be an advantage to the attacker.

Irwin99

There was something odd i noticed that when the ref blew his whistle Pickford was actually still doing his silly routine on his line and wasn't actually looking at the ball or Rashford who hadn't even begun his run up-would have been funny if Rashford just casually rolled it into the corner when Pickford wasn't looking

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
No problem with that side of the penalty rule. I do have an issue with penalties altogether though, and if anyone can come up with a better solution it would be great as the punishment is almost always disproportionate to the crime when it comes to pens.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.

Penalty kick was never 50/50 in the entire history of the game. Where did you get that from? Penalties are meant to be high probability of scoring, given when they are given. The only penalties that are bullshit, are the ones that happen after the extra time, the series ones. But normal penalties, given in the game are totally fine the way they are.

youngrell

Weird take, particularly the 50/50 part when you consider the very definition of the word penalty.

Takers are also not stopping, just changing the speed of the run up.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Penalty kick was never 50/50 in the entire history of the game. Where did you get that from? Penalties are meant to be high probability of scoring, given when they are given.
I've said that they should be 50/50 - not that it was 50/50 previously.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Weird take, particularly the 50/50 part when you consider the very definition of the word penalty.

Takers are also not stopping, just changing the speed of the run up.
Jorginho basically stops right before he kicks the ball - does he not?

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
No problem with that side of the penalty rule. I do have an issue with penalties altogether though, and if anyone can come up with a better solution it would be great as the punishment is almost always disproportionate to the crime when it comes to pens.
If you can't do the time, don't do the crime as the saying goes, 90% of penalties are probably avoidable and are down to defenders making tackles they shouldn't bemaking

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I'd like to see it be like a free-throw in basketball, where the player who is fouled (or who forced the defensive handball) should have to take the penalty.

cyberman

In that sense why don't we just give the attacking team a goal and take out penalties all together? - Not being petulant, I'm genuinely asking a question/raising debate here
They dont have to keep running as long as there’s movement. They only run now to disrupt the keepers rhythm anyway.
Say there’s a rule to keep running. What about the takers who take one step and bang who don’t run? Are they punished?

phelans shorts

In that sense why don't we just give the attacking team a goal and take out penalties all together? - Not being petulant, I'm genuinely asking a question/raising debate here
Because you’ve not scored so why should you get a goal? You’re given a clear cut opportunity, as a punishment for the defending team. You still need to score to get a goal

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
If you can't do the time, don't do the crime as the saying goes, 90% of penalties are probably avoidable and are down to defenders making tackles they shouldn't bemaking
That or stupid handball technicalities. A small percentage are conceded in the actual obstruction of a clear shot on goal, which is the punishment.

TheRedHearted

I've said that they should be 50/50 - not that it was 50/50 previously.
“This puts the advantage fully in the favour of the taker, where a penalty kick should be 50/50.”
That’s from your OP. There’s no shame, it was a poor point.
Because when you’re in the box you still need to put the ball in (when you’re fouled). Many penalties are missed , many are blocked. Still a hard thing to do.
Because you’ve not scored so why should you get a goal? You’re given a clear cut opportunity, as a punishment for the defending team. You still need to score to get a goal

RyRy11

Quick Google search had the current conversion rate at about 75% which I think is probably fair, all things considered. Maybe they should have a secondary spot further back for softer fouls or something. Ive never really considered penalties to be an issue outside of a shoot-out or how they are awarded.

Withnail

My point is a penalty is never 50/50 even before the recent rule changes. It's always in favour of the attacker. I could be wrong bit I don't believe the intention behind a penalty was for it to be 50/50 in the first place.

You could just give a goal in some circumstances like for the blatant denial of a goal scoring opportunity, like a penalty try in rugby, I suppose.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Quick Google search had the current conversion rate at about 75% which I think is probably fair, all things considered. Maybe they should have a secondary spot further back for softer fouls or something. Ive never really considered penalties to be an issue outside of a shoot-out or how they are awarded.
There's no such thing as a soft foul, it's either a foul or its not

eire-red

We're seeing more and more players do the stuttering run-up, but that's a skill itself and it takes guts to do that as well. Do you think there's anything goalies can do in this regard, change their saving style or whatever do counteract?

For the record, I don't think pens should be 50:50, the attacking team should have an advantage. But I wonder what the conversion rate on 1 on 1's is, to see the disparity in terms of how much more valuable a pen is.

I get your point though. Take Neymar for example, his penalty technique does seem unsaveable and you have to imagine that all future penalty takers will adopt this style with what seems to be a near perfect conversion rate.

El Zoido

Penalties should not be 50/50, so that breaks your whole argument.

RyRy11

There's no such thing as a soft foul, it's either a foul or its not
When you introduce a tier system with yellow and red cards there is definitely a degree of seriousness to a foul, not to mention how interpretation plays a roll in what fouls are given. Soft fouls exist, they just aren't recognised by the ruling body as it spotlights the inadequacy of refereeing.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
When you introduce a tier system with yellow and red cards there is definitely a degree of seriousness to a foul, not to mention how interpretation plays a roll in what fouls are given. Soft fouls exist, they just aren't recognized by the ruling body as it spotlights the inadequacy of refereeing.
Yellow cards are a warning, you don't have to commit a foul to get one, red cards are given for very specific things, 2 yellows aside, there's reckless behaviour + what would get you arrested if you did it off the field and deliberately denying a goal scoring opportunity, a fould is a fould irrerspective of what you call it and in the penalty area that's a penalty

SAFMUTD

Keep penalties the same but implement shoot outs. The one on one Americans used to have for something, they where entertaining and the goalie has way more chances of stop it.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
I always thought they'd be better if the keeper could move inside the box. It would still be a huge scoring chance, but probably requiring a lot more skill for the taker and a proper 1v1 challenge. As it is, some times players mostly ignore the keeper and try to blast it accurately, making it a challenge of taker vs goal instead of taker vs keeper.

It fels like an artificial and unfair restriction for the keeper, having them forced on top of the line. And a lower scoring chance wold definitely make them interesting. Also the techniques to score would be more varied.

Don't understand why everyone is piling on the OP, other than these discussions having been done to death.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
If there's anything I'd change it's the size of the box, or more appropriately the shape. Make it a half circle instead of a square.

And have double lines, so there's a zone just outside the main one where you restrict the amount of players allowed in the area letting the player to have a free shot at goal albeit from a more awkward angle - a sort of half-penalty if you will.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
[non-shootout] Penalties aren't meant to be fair, they are meant to penalize the defending team. Their equivalent in basketball doesn't even have a defender at all.

arthurka

The goalie can move but not shorten the distance, it's better them before when the keepers were 3 steps away from the line before it was taken.