Penalties need to be reformed

Bobski

Only thing that needs to change is the refs giving so many bloody soft ones. VAR has done a number on this, even incidental contact can look dramatic on slow mo.

Or else, go all in, 5-6 pens a game and watch the melt down of the fanboys as their heroes goal scoring records are annihilated.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
That or stupid handball technicalities. A small percentage are conceded in the actual obstruction of a clear shot on goal, which is the punishment.
That's why penalties should be awarded only if the foul denies a clear goalscoring opportunity (I would also add this should happen even if the foul was outside the penalty area - we just need the punishment to be proportional)

I do think the idea of the fouled player taking the penalty is an interesting one as it forces the player who otherwise had shot to take the penalty, making it more proportional.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
That or stupid handball technicalities. A small percentage are conceded in the actual obstruction of a clear shot on goal, which is the punishment.
Yeah they should just give penalties for those and downgrade the bullshit handballs and trips on players just in crossing positions etc to a direct free kick. That would be quite cool.

ShinjiNinja26

Making them 50/50 is completely pointless. It’s called a “Penalty” for a reason, it’s meant to be a punishment for the defending team therefor the attacking side should receive an advantage. It’s fine the way it is.

dal

Penalties are the most stupid thing ever. 1mm inside the box and a foul is a penalty, in what world does this make any sense.

It would make sense for a penalty to be awarded only when there is a foul in a clear goal scoring opportunity.

If the last defender fouls a player who should be through on goal then penalty (even outside the box , yellow instead of red card), free kick for everything else (even inside the box).

wangyu

All the awkward jumping and slowing down needs to stop. One continuous run and strike of, the ball is perfect. When I see Neymar or Bruno take a penalty I get embarrassed in their place.
Rebounds after a penalty kick are unfair to the goalkeeper, this should be prohibited as well.

The awarding of penalties is also a joke. Attacking players moving away from the keeper that get faulted can never result in a penalty kick imo. In general way too much penalties are whistled in a season when purely from gut feeling 60% of them are very cheap.
What I would change as well is a player that is clean through on goal and gets taken down it should always be a penalty kick no matter where the fault has happened once over the halfway line.

In the very very first place cheating players that drop like flies should get a red card for play acting, that is the root of it all. I get embarrassed when I see grown men roll around the pitch in agony only to jump up and take a sprint 30 sec later.

There is a lot I don’t like about football rules.

Redfrog

Should penalties be reformed?

At the moment goalies cannot move off their line until the ball has been struck, technically they're not to ever come off the line. Whereas the penalty taker can take as long as he wants and have a fancy run up and even stop mid run, see where the goalie is going to dive and then strike the ball.

This puts the advantage fully in the favour of the taker, where a penalty kick should be 50/50.

Should penalties be reformed in this regard? I'd go as far as saying that once a run up has started you cannot stop and you have to strike the ball. Would make things much more 50/50 and fair.
50/50 ? No, it was never meant to be that way, since there is a foul in the box.
if we want to make it 50/50, we should just throw a coin.

Redfrog

Penalties are the most stupid thing ever. 1mm inside the box and a foul is a penalty, in what world does this make any sense.

It would make sense for a penalty to be awarded only when there is a foul in a clear goal scoring opportunity.

If the last defender fouls a player who should be through on goal then penalty (even outside the box , yellow instead of red card), free kick for everything else (even inside the box).
There will be too much bad decisions and controversies. The box is arbitrary yes but not that stupid since you are close to the goal.

Zippycup

At the moment goalies cannot move off their line until the ball has been struck, technically they're not to ever come off the line. Whereas the penalty taker can take as long as he wants and have a fancy run up and even stop mid run, see where the goalie is going to dive and then strike the ball.

This puts the advantage fully in the favour of the taker, where a penalty kick should be 50/50.

Should penalties be reformed in this regard? I'd go as far as saying that once a run up has started you cannot stop and you have to strike the ball. Would make things much more 50/50 and fair.
The advantage is supposed to be with the taker.
That's why it's called a penalty.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
50/50 ? No, it was never meant to be that way, since there is a foul in the box.
if we want to make it 50/50, we should just throw a coin.
Agreed. Although maybe when a match goes to penalties, that's a different thing? Maybe should be like a 1 on 1 and the keeper can come off his line the minute the attacker enters the box?

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
I think it's an interesting idea due to the fact I dislike the stuttering run up (which I feel gives the taker an even greater advantage) and it's why I'm more than happy for keepers like Dibu Martinez to act like a cnut.

I understand it's called a "Penalty" but if you get awarded a penalty from a 0.01xg (striker facing away from goal edge of the box, shove in the back) situation a 75% chance of a goal from the penalty spot (if the above stats are correct) seems a little unfair to the opposition.

I don't really care if it changes because it's something I've grown up with but if the sport was created tomorrow I would argue against a penalty for low xg fouls in the box.

phelans shorts

I think it's an interesting idea due to the fact I dislike the stuttering run up (which I feel gives the taker an even greater advantage) and it's why I'm more than happy for keepers like Dibu Martinez to act like a cnut.

I understand it's called a "Penalty" but if you get awarded a penalty from a 0.01xg (striker facing away from goal edge of the box, shove in the back) situation a 75% chance of a goal from the penalty spot (if the above stats are correct) seems a little unfair to the opposition.

I don't really care if it changes because it's something I've grown up with but if the sport was created tomorrow I would argue against a penalty for low xg fouls in the box.
Can you tell me how you would enforce this rule, noting the fact that xG is an atrocious metric.

Eplel

What's next, a 50/50 challenge instead of a free kick when someone is fouled?

KeanoMagicHat

Good penalty keepers such as Emi Martinez, Livakovic, Donnarumma haven’t had such a problem in recent years. I think the line rule is a bit harsh on keepers although letter of the law.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Can you tell me how you would enforce this rule, noting the fact that xG is an atrocious metric.
No as I don't have a ready made solution (and didn't claim to have one) and xg may be an atrocious measurement but it can be helpful in illustrating the "danger" of the moment pre foul.

A keeper taking down a player who is about to tap in a shot on the line is a penalty but so is someone with his back to goal who gets a shove in the back too even though both situations aren't equally likely to result in a goal without interference, I know it's called a "Penalty" but a small fine and death are both known as penalties even though they are vastly different punishments.

Last edited:

Eplel

I recommend watching this clip from Togo. Some solid since showes that penalties are unfair

I think this video misunderstands the concept of chance. Because 78% of penalties taken resulted in a goal, doesn't mean you have 78% chance to score from a penalty.

And the statement that it's "almost impossible" to score from certain positions is callous, there's too many variables to call that, and they only take into account whether it would be easy to shoot from said position.

Nas-JR

Personally, I think the aspect of pens that needs to be reformed is the awards of the pen. It's infuriating when a soft challenge at the bottom left corner of the penalty box when there's 5 players around you leads to an award of a high probability strike at goal.

A fix is maybe to have a secondary zone in which fouls within lead to a pen but not the whole current pen area...

Note that I haven't thought of all the implications of this so it might be downright dumb, but I always hated soft pens (E.G. the kane ones where someone jumps over the back of him on the pen area line).

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Why should a penalty be 50/50 ? Your initial reasoning is wrong IMHO. It's a penatly after all, you're meant to be shafted

Eplel

Personally, I think the aspect of pens that needs to be reformed is the awards of the pen. It's infuriating when a soft challenge at the bottom left corner of the penalty box when there's 5 players around you leads to an award of a high probability strike at goal.

A fix is maybe to have a secondary zone in which fouls within lead to a pen but not the whole current pen area...

Note that I haven't thought of all the implications of this so it might be downright dumb, but I always hated soft pens (E.G. the kane ones where someone jumps over the back of him on the pen area line).
The problem with this is that it will certainly be abused by the defenders (much like how attackers dive, or defenders beat the shit out of attackers just before a corner is taken).

Scottynaldinho

Traffic tickets should be fair. 50% on the violator and 50% on the traffic police officer.

crossy1686

career ending
Keepers should be allowed to come off their line. If players are going to do all kinds of mad shit in the run up a keeper should be allowed to stand anywhere in his 6 yard box.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The clue is in the word "penalty". It's a penalty against the defending team.
Therefore talk of 50-50 is a nonsense.

However, they do need to do something to clamp down on these clown penalties stuttering and pretty much stopping to wrong foot the keeper.
Those have pushed it into farce.

PSV

Player starts at 16 meter line at any angle he chooses.
Goalkeeper starts at goal line and can move forward.
Player has up to 6 meters advantage.

Whistle blows. Whatever happens, happens.

Would be more fun at least. None of that nonsense runup.

Wolfbot

Don't think the taking of penalties needs to be reformed.

As some others have mentioned, I'd like to see an alternative punishment for some things a penalties are given for at the moment. Namely accidental handballs where the position of the hand is not natural but clearly not deliberate either. The other, which I find really irritating, is players taking a touch which knocks the ball away from goal or out of play in order to make sure they are wiped out by the keeper or a sliding defender.

Probably an indirect free kick for those would be a decent alternative.

Eplel

Player starts at 16 meter line at any angle he chooses.
Goalkeeper starts at goal line and can move forward.
Player has up to 6 meters advantage.

Whistle blows. Whatever happens, happens.

Would be more fun at least. None of that nonsense runup.
Didn't they have something like this in the MLS for some years?

philipos

What annoys me is the defending teams and, in particular, goalkeepers using delaying tactics to put off the penalty taker. The referee should be allowed to indicate that the penalty will be taken in 10 seconds. If the goalkeeper/defenders are not ready/in position and the kicker scores, tough. If the kicker doesn't score, the penalty should be retaken.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!

Why do penalties need to be fair? their whole purpose is to give the attacking team a chance at scoring because a foul was used to stop a goal scoring chance.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
What annoys me is the defending teams and, in particular, goalkeepers using delaying tactics to put off the penalty taker. The referee should be allowed to indicate that the penalty will be taken in 10 seconds. If the goalkeeper/defenders are not ready/in position and the kicker scores, tough. If the kicker doesn't score, the penalty should be retaken.
Or simply book ruthlessly any time waster or cnuts

Arlo

I'd like to see it be like a free-throw in basketball, where the player who is fouled (or who forced the defensive handball) should have to take the penalty.
That would be a lot more interesting. I dare say a few players would stop flopping every time they're in the box if they're rubbish at taking penalties.

Ibi Dreams

The stuttering run ups seem to negatively affect the taker half the time, if anything. At the world cup almost all of the best penalties were the ones where they didn't fanny around, just ran up and hit it

stw2022

If the attacking team encroaches into the area before the kick is taken then there shouldn't be an opportunity to retake the penalty, it should just be considered void and the opposition should get a free kick from their own penalty spot