Pep: “I’d like more fans to come Saturday”

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
The reason City are among the favourites is because of the squad and resources they have and had been before Pep got there.
They reason they haven’t won it is down to Pep himself.
How many times City were favorites before Pep took over?

City, Liverpool are considered as favorites because of the manager they have in charge.

He wins the league with the best squad in the league. To his credit he’s consistent at it. Top teams want him because if you give him the resources, he will more often than not deliver a strong league performance. But he isn’t turning water into wine.
Squad quality is rated differently based on who is in charge. The squad that didn't look as good suddenly started to look awesome once Tuchel became manager.

Great managers makes everything better than they are, opposite is true for average managers. Managers elevate the squad quality.

Pickle85

Didnt City spend money before Pep took over?
Did they spend it on the same scale? I'm genuinely amazed you're trying to argue that it's pep and nothing else that makes city among the CL favourites. I think even most City fans would agree that his European record has been underwhelming and here we have a United fan defending it ffs. He's a very good coach but he's not the second coming

cyberman

City, Liverpool are considered as favorites because of the manager they have in charge.

Squad quality is rated differently based on who is in charge. The squad that didn't look as good suddenly started to look awesome once Tuchel became manager.

Great managers makes everything better than they are, opposite is true for average managers. Managers elevate the squad quality.
City were always favourites for the CL. I pointed it out every season because it was a bug bear of mine. Those odds doesn’t really matter anyway because it’s too close among the top 3 to 4 for it to make a difference because it’s so early and they went out too early every season before the odds had scope to change

Pickle85

I don't think you'll find many that thought anything other than Chelsea were underachieving with the squad they had with Lampard. Weird comparison to make.

Chabon

Would be funny if the fans boo him today :lol:
I reckon they’re going to. There’s 20,000 or so proper matchgoing fans who still think they support the actual Manchester City and get absolutely outraged at anything which might lift the scales from their eyes about how their club was killed off and replaced thirteen years ago.

Being the ‘real’ Manc club was one of their major articles of faith back then and to have some bald foreign ponce undermining that now clearly hurts.

roonster09

Scout
Did they spend it on the same scale? I'm genuinely amazed you're trying to argue that it's pep and nothing else that makes city among the CL favourites. I think even most City fans would agree that his European record has been underwhelming and here we have a United fan defending it ffs. He's a very good coach but he's not the second coming
Second coming of what?

Ofcourse his record is underwhelming and that's because standards are different for Pep. Pep is the big reason why City will be considered as the favorites. Replace him with other manager and you see the ridiculous excuses "Oh no we don't have LB, CF, too many attacking mids".

Thats why I said in the end, only thing that matters is delivering consistently and there is no better manager than Pep.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
That's not true at all. This is like reading generic tweets saying "pep has no plan B" "without Messi, Pep is nothing".

This guy has won league without a CF, won the league playing 2 attacking mids in CM position, won the league playing CM as LB and also attacking mid as LB.

Pep has so many alternatives, not a single one of them is "hoof the ball to tall player".

Also no, he won't improve City than Pep. After Pep, it's all a downgrade.
With the resources he had have to win matches against Lyon, or Spurs to progress in cl he definitely looked like rabbit on the light. I am not coming to this conclusion that he has no plan b after watching one or two games I followed him since 2009 days when his barcelona eliminated us.

Then inter schooled him there are more ways to win then us in 2012 with ten men , barcelona screwed his bayern then city days against Lyon and Spurs even against liverpool and chelsea he is too ignorant and tactically inept to game situation to adapt.

Those moments exactly I referred rabbit at the light. No solutions from him. I will be lot more worried if conte take charge at city or united than present scenario or zidane.

roonster09

Scout
I don't think you'll find many that thought anything other than Chelsea were underachieving with the squad they had with Lampard. Weird comparison to make.
So everyone thought Chelsea had the best or second best squad before Tuchel took over?

roonster09

Scout
With the resources he had have to win matches against Lyon, or Spurs to progress in cl he definitely looked like rabbit on the light. I am not coming to this conclusion that he has no plan b after watching one or two games I followed him since 2009 days when his barcelona eliminated us.

Then inter schooled him there are more ways to win then us in 2012 with ten men , barcelona screwed his bayern then city days against Lyon and Spurs even against liverpool and chelsea he is too ignorant and tactically inept to game situation to adapt.

Those moments exactly I referred rabbit at the light. No solutions from him. I will be lot more worried if conte take charge at city or united than present scenario or zidane.
And your solution is Conte who has been shit in CL? Manager who spent shit loads but failed to make group stages in more than 50% of CL campaigns.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Second coming of what?

Ofcourse his record is underwhelming and that's because standards are different for Pep. Pep is the big reason why City will be considered as the favorites. Replace him with other manager and you see the ridiculous excuses "Oh no we don't have LB, CF, too many attacking mids".

Thats why I said in the end, only thing that matters is delivering consistently and there is no better manager than Pep.
Conte not bad either in that aspect. Delivering consistently despite took struggling teams not barca bayern and city. Don't you understand this logic.

Pickle85

So everyone thought Chelsea had the best or second best squad before Tuchel took over?
What are you talking about? Does winning the CL automatically mean that Chelsea have the best or second best squad?!

roonster09

Scout
City were always favourites for the CL. I pointed it out every season because it was a bug bear of mine. Those odds doesn’t really matter anyway because it’s too close among the top 3 to 4 for it to make a difference because it’s so early and they went out too early every season before the odds had scope to change
So when Pellegrini was manager, people expected City to win CL every season?

Pickle85

Second coming of what?

Nonsense. His record is underwhelming because he's consistently underachieved in Europe despite consistently having one of the best sides in the competition. It's got nothing to do with it being Pep.

roonster09

Scout
What are you talking about? Does winning the CL automatically mean that Chelsea have the best or second best squad?!
No, having a manager who makes full use of squad and brings the best out of them makes them best of second best squad in the league. Nothing to do with CL.

roonster09

Scout
Nonsense. His record is underwhelming because he's consistently underachieved in Europe despite consistently having one of the best sides in the competition. It's got nothing to do with it being Pep.
That bs.

roonster09

Scout
Conte not bad either in that aspect. Delivering consistently despite took struggling teams not barca bayern and city. Don't you understand this logic.
Barca were 3rd in La Liga when Pep took over, City struggled to finish 4th when Pep took over. It's nothing like Bayern.

Zen86

You could argue it also reflects on how poor a job Lampard did with that Chelsea squad. Many had them down for challenging for the league that season, and they were acknowledged as having at least the second strongest squad in the league after their spending spree.

City weren’t a squad of nearly men before Pep, they’d won the league multiple times before. Pep took the core of those title winning squads and spent a billion on it. And won more league titles.

roonster09

Scout
Again...Pellegrini hadn't spent a billion on building a squad. His squad Vs the current one is night and day.
Oh yeah, player cost same as it was 7-8 years ago.

Great argument. There's clearly no point in discussing this further.
It's simple, when you see posters come up with shit like "nonsense", don't expect pleasant replies.

Pickle85

Oh yeah, player cost same as it was 7-8 years ago.

It's simple, when you see posters come up with shit like "nonsense", don't expect pleasant replies.
So are you now trying to argue that Pellegrini was backed the same as pep financially and that his squad was as strong as the current city one?

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
And your solution is Conte who has been shit in CL? Manager who spent shit loads but failed to make group stages in more than 50% of CL campaigns.
:lol:. I am saying after pep conte will be great for city and signing haaland and with the squad at city with added pragmatism conte will win league for sure but cl pep didn't do that good with them so why you bring cl in this conversation.

Wheato

Empty seats in their DNA.
This myth that City fans like to spread that they were filling Maine Road every week. It’s a total fabrication. I used to go to college round the corner from the stadium, and I had 2 mates who worked on the turnstiles. We used to get in for free and watch a game before going out on the lash. One time I was at a midweek game against QPR and there was only 15,000 there. You could literally walk around the stands during the game and sit anywhere you wanted. In the same season they had 38,000 attend the derby, so they turned up when they could be bothered, but not unusual to be well below capacity for other games.

EtH

Can we get fecking back to laughing at City in this thread ?

Pep actually mentioned City supporters traveling even when they were in the lower divisions and that they don’t need to be like us or Liverpool or Bayern or Barca or Madrid.

2:28 mark. He is proud of who they are. :lol:

Last edited:

roonster09

Scout
So are you now trying to argue that Pellegrini was backed the same as pep financially and that his squad was as strong as the current city one?
City's squad is considered very strong because of Pep. Most players play their best football under Pep which inturn makes their squad look better than they are.

I don't know how much Pellegrini spent, but he spent shit loads of money. He spent around 400 million euros in 3 seasons and that was before market was broke.

:lol:. I am saying after pep conte will be great for city and signing haaland and with the squad at city with added pragmatism conte will win league for sure but cl pep didn't do that good with them so why you bring cl in this conversation.
Why did I bring CL in this conversation? :lol: How can I not when you said Conte who is shit in CL and goes out in GS more often that not is comparable to Pep who made CL finals and always reach KO rounds of CL.

Conte is a downgrade from Pep in league or cups. And City will have better options than Conte considering the Pep years they had for last 6 years.

Yet he made only one final with that city before that not even one semi in Europe with city which is comparable to Conte s record in Europe.

Pep is purist and always not want to compromise his style of play which is good of him but always had that weakness of no plan b.

Conte is tactically adjustable and not purist like pep and also winning leagues like pep if not better.I think they had a choice they still take pep but Conte next better bet after him can create efficient team at least in winning games.

Pickle85

City's squad is considered very strong because of Pep. Most players play their best football under Pep which inturn makes their squad look better than they are.

I don't know how much Pellegrini spent, but he spent shit loads of money. He spent around 400 million euros in 3 seasons and that was before market was broke.

Why did I bring CL in this conversation? :lol: How can I not when you said Conte who is shit in CL and goes out in GS more often that not is comparable to Pep who made CL finals and always reach KO rounds of CL.

Conte is a downgrade from Pep in league or cups. And City will have better options than Conte considering the Pep years they had for last 6 years.
Everything that is good about city is because of Pep in your book, but anything wrong with them (no European trophy) isn't his fault?

Courtesy of Twitter:
Manuel Pellegrini at Man City:
Money spent - £386m (3 seasons)

Pep Guardiola at Man City:
Money spent - £636m (4 seasons)

And he's gone on to spend more, still without a CL. Much, much more. Are you sure you don't think he's underachieved in Europe?

roonster09

Scout
Everything that is good about city is because of Pep in your book, but anything wrong with them (no European trophy) isn't his fault?

Courtesy of Twitter:
Manuel Pellegrini at Man City:
Money spent - £386m (3 seasons)

Pep Guardiola at Man City:
Money spent - £636m (4 seasons)

And he's gone on to spend more, still without a CL. Much, much more. Are you sure you don't think he's underachieved in Europe?
Go on and show me where I said it isn't Pep's fault? I said every manager has faults but still Pep is a genius and the reason why City are considered as favorites. Expectations are different for Pep than other managers.

Now on to twitter.
2016-17
2017-18
2018-19
2019-20
2020-21
2021-22

So how is it 4 seasons? That's 6 seasons. I'm sure they would have spent more than 636 million too. Market has changed a lot after Neymar transfer, you can't compare the money spent Pre Neymar deal with Post Neymar deals. There are exceptions and apart from that, every player's price has gone up.

Anyways Pep has spent money just like any other manager, he has spent more than others. City have lot to show for the money they have spent. They play ridiculous football and they win titles almost every season.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
I reckon they’re going to. There’s 20,000 or so proper matchgoing fans who still think they support the actual Manchester City and get absolutely outraged at anything which might lift the scales from their eyes about how their club was killed off and replaced thirteen years ago.

Being the ‘real’ Manc club was one of their major articles of faith back then and to have some bald foreign ponce undermining that now clearly hurts.

That's the first time I'm seeing that video :lol: . So much cringe.

Pickle85

Go on and show me where I said it isn't Pep's fault? I said every manager has faults but still Pep is a genius and the reason why City are considered as favorites. Expectations are different for Pep than other managers.

Now on to twitter.
2016-17
2017-18
2018-19
2019-20
2020-21
2021-22

So how is it 4 seasons? That's 6 seasons. I'm sure they would have spent more than 636 million too. Market has changed a lot after Neymar transfer, you can't compare the money spent Pre Neymar deal with Post Neymar deals. There are exceptions and apart from that, every player's price has gone up.

Anyways Pep has spent money just like any other manager, he has spent more than others. City have lot to show for the money they have spent. They play ridiculous football and they win titles almost every season.
Did you read my post? That was just pep's first four seasons...as I said, he's gone on to spend more. Much more. The fact that you say Pep has spent money just like any other manager is delusional. Surely you can see how his spending differs from every other manager out there? Hint: it's much, much greater. Your constant referencing of pep as a genius on a United forum is proper cringey.

roonster09

Scout
Did you read my post? That was just pep's first four seasons...as I said, he's gone on to spend more. Much more. The fact that you say Pep has spent money just like any other manager is delusional. Surely you can see how his spending differs from every other manager out there? Hint: it's much, much greater. Your constant referencing of pep as a genius on a United forum is proper cringey.
Maybe you should read properly. I said " Anyways Pep has spent money just like any other manager, he has spent more than others. City have lot to show for the money they have spent. They play ridiculous football and they win titles almost every season."

Do you work for Sun?

So Pellegrini spent 128 million per season, Pep spent 159 million per season, one started spending from 2013-14, other started from 2016-17, season later was Neymar deal when whole market changed too. Not big difference with inflation and all.

Now I expect post with "No difference at all" when I said "Not big difference considering the inflation and all"

Also calling a manager as a genius is not cringe, Klopp is also a genius. It's called appreciating managers.

Pickle85

Maybe you should read properly. I said " Anyways Pep has spent money just like any other manager, he has spent more than others. City have lot to show for the money they have spent. They play ridiculous football and they win titles almost every season."

Do you work for Sun?

So Pellegrini spent 128 million per season, Pep spent 159 million per season, one started spending from 2013-14, other started from 2016-17, season later was Neymar deal when whole market changed too. Not big difference with inflation and all.

Now I expect post with "No difference at all" when I said "Not big difference considering the inflation and all"
So what you mean when you say that pep has spent money just like any other manager, then, is that he's spent money differently to almost any other manager? Gotcha.

pascell

Not sure if it's real or fake but there's a screenshot of a tweet from City going around that they're in the city centre giving out free tickets for todays game :lol:

roonster09

Scout
Yes, hence my frustration. Plus Pellegrini had a great European record to be fair to him
Not sure about that. Madrid, Barca, Bayern were considered favorites to win CL and also Atletico Madrid were among them as they were on ridiculous run.

dinostar77

One guaranteed way to get the stadium full is to slash prices and allow kids in for peanuts. Seeing as FFP is all but dead and Abu Dhabi have emptyless pockets, slashing prices to ensure a sell out crowd should hit the bottom line too much.

Juventus are Italy's best supporters club but have a stadium of only 40,000 as SerieA and dont always sell that out. City having a 55,000 seater stadium may just be too large for the fanbase.

Or they need a superstar (other than KDB) to excite the fans and get them to turn up.

roonster09

Scout
So what you mean when you say that pep has spent money just like any other manager, then, is that he's spent money differently to almost any other manager? Gotcha.
Every manager spends shit loads of money, obviously in that list one should be ahead of others. Usually managers of rich clubs. How much have we spent in last 3 seasons, or since SAF retired?

They spent money and they got awesome returns. Others spent but they don't have much to show.

Since Pep became City manager, they have spent 950 million, Chelsea spent 912 million, ManUtd - 832 million. Not big difference in the spending. Only club that didn't spend big was Liverpool who spent around 500 million.

cyberman

Not sure about that. Madrid, Barca, Bayern were considered favorites to win CL and also Atletico Madrid were among them as they were on ridiculous run.
They were as much favourites for the CL as they are now. That’s my point. It’s a lot of 4/1 and 7/2 before a ball is kicked. It’s neither here nor there between the top sides.