Pep: “I’d like more fans to come Saturday”

Fluctuation0161

Look, they're the small club of the City, in the shadow of the monsterously big United. They're doing well if they pull in 35-40k to their 55k stadium. That's still more than most clubs get.

When there's plenty of legitimate stuff to mock and attack City for, I don't get the obsession.
If being the smallest club in Manchester is not worth mocking City over, then I don't know what is.

Zen86

Look, they're the small club of the City, in the shadow of the monsterously big United. They're doing well if they pull in 35-40k to their 55k stadium. That's still more than most clubs get.

When there's plenty of legitimate stuff to mock and attack City for, I don't get the obsession.
Because their fans are the best, they’re the biggest club in Manchester, they had the largest crowds in league one, and they’re the proper diehard working mans club. This is the kind of bullshit they’ve been spouting for years so yeah, having a shite match day following is pretty easy game.

Oranges038

But they sell 36000 season tickets every year...

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I don't understand why anyone would call a guy who manages how 11 grown men chase a ball around for 90 minutes a "genius". I'd reserve that word for people who have actually accomplished something important.
Wow, I'm not sure being on a football forum is for you pal. :lol:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Truly speaking, he is right. This word should not go with any sport…
A definition of genius is
" an exceptionally intelligent person or one with exceptional skill in a particular area of activity. "

The latter part of that can certainly apply to sports.

Redfrog

A definition of genius is
" an exceptionally intelligent person or one with exceptional skill in a particular area of activity. "

The latter part of that can certainly apply to sports.
« A » definition, not The definition.
I have a master in philosophy, so I do not tend to call a football manager a genius.
I will reserve this term to someone who invented something which contribute to the evolution of the human race. This can be art, science, philosophy or something more practical as what have done some politicians for their people (in terms of laws and social evolution).

So no, even Ferguson is not a genius for me, even if he is one of the best ever at what he did.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I have a master in philosophy, so I do not tend to call a football manager a genius.
I will reserve this term to someone who invented something which contribute to the evolution of the human race. This can be art, science, philosophy or something more practical as what have done some politicians for their people (in terms of laws and social evolution).

So no, even Ferguson is not a genius for me, even if he is one of the best ever at what he did.
What, there's a "the" definition for words?

What's your definition? I'd say it's someone who does anything amazing/unique in any field. And sports shouldn't be diminished. No-ones done what Ferguson did.

Personally, I think Van Gogh's paintings are shite but people would probably classify him as 'a genius'

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

It's obviously a relative term.

Otherwise you'll be going through every thread telling off people who describe a player as "great", or more likely on our match day threads, "rubbish".

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

What's your definition? I'd say it's someone who does anything amazing/unique in any field. And sports shouldn't be diminished. No-ones done what Ferguson did.

Personally, I think Van Gogh's paintings are shite but people would probably classify him as 'a genius'
Yeah, but maybe if you had a degree in philosophy, you'd understand how importan Van G's paintings are for the "evolution of.... (whatever he said above)

:drool:

Red the Bear

Something less generic
He shot himself in the foot with that quote and to be fair never was the best at handling the press
He seems burnt out which is peculiar when coming of a pl wining and cl finalist run
Would be interesting to find out whether it was just a gaffe caused by not really understanding the fanbase(and their insecurities) or him hinting to something else (combined with his comments about retirement)

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
After Wednesday’s 6-3 win over Leipzig, the City manager appealed to supporters to turn up in force for Saints’ visit, and received a blunt response from the general secretary of City’s official fan club. Kevin Parker said Guardiola should stick to coaching.
But Guardiola reiterated the request for Tuesday’s home Carabao Cup tie against Wycombe Wanderers.
“When the game isn’t good I feel bad for them [fans],” Guardiola said. “At the end they come to see a show and want to enjoy it. That’s why I am in this business. So I feel a bit guilty because we didn’t play well.“[After the draw] everyone asked me the same but I said nothing wrong after Leipzig. I said we played an incredibly tough game and it will be incredibly tough against Southampton. I never complained about how many supporters come or do not come. I have never done that in my life. Of course, I am grateful – even if 85 or 100 people come, that is fine.
“But right now I don’t understand. What I said is: ‘Guys come together to be with us for the next game.’ The same as I say now: ‘Please come on Tuesday against Wycombe, the Carabao Cup, please come to be with us.’“Listen, everyone has their own life, sometimes they can come, sometimes not, sometimes they don’t want to, but we have to do our job like we have in the last five or six years. Every time I will ask this. We had more than one year without them [due to the pandemic] and it was not the same, football without them is not the same. So thank you for coming.”
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...city-not-putting-on-a-show-says-pep-guardiola

can't stop reiterating how they don't come :lol:

Redfrog

I just gave you my definition.
I did not say there is the definition of genius, and that was precisely my point. I gave one after that.

A sport is a sport, it’s funny how some people think it’s important. It’s just a distraction to me, it doesn’t make me live.
And I feel I have learned more about life after reading a good book then watching a game.
I feel attached to United but I have 3 kids, a wife and a job I like so I don’t fell it’s that important.

What is so important to you about football ?
I don’t see any invention that change something for human kind about it.

You don’t like Van Gogh, right, but that’s not the point. He invented a new way to paint, that’s why he is a genius, not because someone like it or not.

Redfrog

It's obviously a relative term.

Otherwise you'll be going through every thread telling off people who describe a player as "great", or more likely on our match day threads, "rubbish".
Yes, it’s relative. But if you can attribute it to describe football you can use it for a anything.

And that doesn’t feel right to me to put Einstein or Plato in the same bracket as Pep « fecking » Guardiola, even if he is obviously very intelligent about football.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles

How does art contribute to the evolution of the human race?

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I just gave you my definition.
I did not say there is the definition of genius, and that was precisely my point. I gave one after that.

A sport is a sport, it’s funny how some people think it’s important. It’s just a distraction to me, it doesn’t make me live.
And I feel I have learned more about life after reading a good book then watching a game.
I feel attached to United but I have 3 kids, a wife and a job I like so I don’t fell it’s that important.

What is so important to you about football ?
I don’t see any invention that change something for human kind about it.

You don’t like Van Gogh, right, but that’s not the point. He invented a new way to paint, that’s why he is a genius, not because someone like it or not.
You realise that (whether intentional or not), you come across as an intellect-snob? ("I've got a degree", "sport is just a distraction"). There's really no need.

Great, I've got a wife, kids, I LOVE reading and films and exercise, etc etc. You can like lots of things AND sport. Ask a million people around the world about a great goal by Messi, Ronaldo, Cruyff, Platini... most of them will know it and be excited by it. Because it's rare, different to what most footballers can do. So we call Cruyff a genius.

Ask a million people about "The starry night" and I'd bet a lot think a kid did it in a school.

And as for inventing new techniques, I thought Rembrandt used impasto?

... though obviously I bow down to you because you've got a philosophy degree after all.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
You realise that (whether intentional or not), you come across as an intellect-snob? ("I've got a degree", "sport is just a distraction"). There's really no need.

Great, I've got a wife, kids, I LOVE reading and films and exercise, etc etc. You can like lots of things AND sport. Ask a million people around the world about a great goal by Messi, Ronaldo, Cruyff, Platini... most of them will know it and be excited by it. Because it's rare, different to what most footballers can do. So we call Cruyff a genius.

Ask a million people about "The starry night" and I'd bet a lot think a kid did it in a school.

And as for inventing new techniques, I thought Rembrandt used impasto?

... though obviously I bow down to you because you've got a philosophy degree after all.
Just trying to marry up someone calling themselves "redfrog" on a football forum thinking themselves an intellectual :lol: :drool:

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion

Why do I find this so funny? :lol: