Pep - Doping (?) | Are PEDs being used by footballers

VanGaalEra

Erm, that happens though.

Come off it fella, Sterling is 22 and fit as a fiddle, he's not running around any more now than he did at Liverpool, it's just he can shoot straight some times now.

Very good.

Again, look at the actual infractions, a player moved, an EXTRA session was added (how that would increase the chances of getting away with taking PEDs I don't know, maybe you can explain, and six RESERVE players were given a day off without the FA being informed. Reserve players.

So yes, fair to say administrative errors can be blamed. It's not like the testers arrived and one of our players did one out of the back door and went shopping with his phone off.
No it doesn't, how often is blood taken? Mostly urine.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Posted this a few weeks ago on Guardiola/Barcelona/Spain:

That the Spanish football team (2008-2012) were supplementing their football talent with illegal substances. Barcelona (2008-2012), likewise.
Guardiola has the biggest question mark hanging over him in all of football. They are wonderfully-talented footballers with a strong tactical understanding, but their physical feats are arguably their main weapon. When you have players like De Bruyne performing most sprints and most distance covered in the same match, alarm bells start to ring.

Dobbs

Then why aren't others doing it to the same extent if he's getting such a benefit from it? or they are and his teams are still better so it's neither here nor there.
Because some people have morals and personal standards?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
It would be pretty big for us if Pep was found out. We've been second best to his teams frequently.
haha. Would that mean we'd get two CL trophies retrospectively :D

Seriously, propped up by a dictatorship and now the doping (and not the cocaine bit), what next? Is the academy a front for life extension experiments with young blood?

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
The reason I have trouble believing these sort of rumours is that he must have had around 50-70 players under him now that can be considered as first team players. Then you have all the coaching staff that would be on a need to know basis with it. It only takes one of them to trust the wrong friend with the info who then rips off a journalist.

The reason Armstrong could get away with it is because of the relatively small “need to know” circle.
One of the more sensible posts in this thread and the way i see it.

There's actually no hard evidence that implicates him, so all speculation as far as i'm concerned. And there's also the notion of innocent until proven guilty.

redom

Because some people have morals and personal standards?
Some people, sure, but with the money and status involved in the game these days there would be a whole host of teams and managers willing to go to those lengths if they knew they could get away with it.

Javi

I would implore you to read it more closely. He was cleared on a technicality, on the remote chance that that his sample could have evolved in the test tube to give a false positive

In 2005, WADA had found that a phenomenon called “unstable urine” in samples could lead to positive tests for low levels of nandrolone. In very rare cases nandrolone could be found in samples not because of external administration but as a result of a chemical reaction that “may occur in a vial containing urine.”

Then-WADA Director General David Howman stood by the efficacy of previous testing for nandrolone and said the chances of urine becoming unstable were “very rare”. The chances were between 1 out of 1,000 and 1 out of 10,000 positive tests for nandrolone.

You would basically have to be @FCBarca to believe that both Pep and De Boer could throw up false positives around the same time.
I read that extra closely and I agree that it seems that he's guilty after all. I just don't get the link from him being a doper as a player to him being a doper as a manager.

Paul_Scholes18

This, he was like that at Liverpool too.
Liverpool are doping as much though ;). Thus there is nothing new there. Brendan and Klopp equally shady. Lucky enough even a doped Steven Gerrard is still shit ;). There is no anti slip drug ;).

Paul_Scholes18

I read that extra closely and I agree that it seems that he's guilty after all. I just don't get the link from him being a doper as a player to him being a doper as a manager.
I think what we can see from that plus listening to Pep talk is that he seem to pretty much have no morals and would do anything to win. That is no evidence just shows that Pep being involved in shady things is something I would expect. Tax fraud and stuff we have heard of and doping would not be beyond him as we have seen.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Also as someone has already mentioned, Pep has his fair share of detractors. Someone would roll over on him.
Either this doesn't happen or it's so common place that nobody in the industry considers it morally repugnant like you good folk. If he can get away with it so can everyone else.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Of course there is only doping associated with Spain, Chris Froome, Team Sky, Dwain Chambers, Linford Christie never did nothing wrong, only the Russians and the Spanish dope, Americans and UK are always very clean and very serious people on this matters.

Give me a break, the nandrolone cases were in Italy on 2001, at the time even Fernando Couto at Lazio or Jaap Stam if I am not wrong had the same issues, if tomorrow a guy who supports Ajax who lost the Europa League final vs United goes to Twitter to say Mourinho is worldwide known for doping because he is a pesky iberian and his Porto teams in 2003 or 2004 played insane pressing, maybe 2+2=4, conclusion everybody dopes.

If there is suspition, ok then show it, but if tomorrow someone comes and say English teams are doped because they have 5 teams on the knockout stages of the Champions League the conspiracy theories will never end.

Hey, but if I am wrong I will be the first to come here and say I was wrong, untill anything is concrete, sounds a lot of wishfull thinking overhere.

Boycott

Could this Adam Joseph guy get sued for libel? He's going very hard in on a narrative which he has no evidence for.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Guys this is becoming pathetic. We really can not criticize the likes of Rawk and Blue Moon if we are consistently making threads like this.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Guys this is becoming pathetic. We really can not criticize the likes of Rawk and Blue Moon if we are consistently making threads like this.
Phew, I was thinking maybe I was crazy after reading this, hey but this is the Trump era, everything is possible.

Acole9

Outstanding
This is just getting ridiculous now, of course they're not fecking doping.

Classical Mechanic

He took that doctor to Barca?

This assumedly would have caused great concern to Pep Guardiola given his trust in the doctor whose supplements he had been taking for many years. Their relationship remained strong however. Dr. Segura returned to FC Barcelona in 2009, the same season Guardiola became club manager. Guardiola took a keen interest in the substances his former physician provided to his players. “Guardiola took this program of daily supplementation very seriously and insisted to the players on the need for it and made sure they followed it,” Dr. Segura explained.

The trail runs colder after that admittedly, apart from Thiago Alcantara, the former Barca player who's agent is Pep's brother, missing a drugs test at Bayern and the City breaches of whereabouts (although City's reasoning behind them isn't too damning).

I can't find information of Segura at all beyond Barca.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Could this Adam Joseph guy get sued for libel? He's going very hard in on a narrative which he has no evidence for.
that's sure, the guy better provide evidence or losing his shirt and more on this dystopian bs.

edit: the fine border between enhanced performance and medical tratment with using legal / allowed substances is there though in every competitive sport and human endeavour whatever the level

Javi

He took that doctor to Barca?

This assumedly would have caused great concern to Pep Guardiola given his trust in the doctor whose supplements he had been taking for many years. Their relationship remained strong however. Dr. Segura returned to FC Barcelona in 2009, the same season Guardiola became club manager. Guardiola took a keen interest in the substances his former physician provided to his players. “Guardiola took this program of daily supplementation very seriously and insisted to the players on the need for it and made sure they followed it,” Dr. Segura explained.

The trail runs colder after that admittedly, apart from Thiago Alcantara, the former Barca player who's agent is Pep's brother, missing a drugs test at Bayern and the City breaches of whereabouts (although City's reasoning behind them isn't too damning).

I can't find information of Segura at all beyond Barca.
Yeah, so it's the same person. Not sure how that allows to conclude they must have been doping. Once a doper always a doper or what?

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Yeah, so it's the same person. Not sure how that allows to conclude they must have been doping. Once a doper always a doper or what?
Don't spoil the narrative, the guy from Twitter is very credible.

Paul_Scholes18

Not concluding, but if players keep on cheating a lot often they will keep doing it. Has there been anything to suggest that Pep will be against cheating now? No he seem to encourage his players to dive and do other shit so I don't think he have changed at all.

Maybe the legal drugs are the best way to go about things now so they don't need the illegal stuff? I don't know, but otherwise I see no reason why they would change if they are getting away with it.

Paul_Scholes18

Also as someone has already mentioned, Pep has his fair share of detractors. Someone would roll over on him.
Either this doesn't happen or it's so common place that nobody in the industry considers it morally repugnant like you good folk. If he can get away with it so can everyone else.
Well from what I heard from people it sounds like most people are using these things. I think most footballers assume the other are using stuff to get ahead too.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Yup reading the Twitter account from that guy he realy sounds a doping expert, really credible opinion for a thread.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I definitely believe this. I also believe the players wouldn't necessarily know they are being doped. I mean, the club doctor says take this vitamin or what not and you do it. The majority of football players would not question this.

However, I'm pretty sure Pep's not the only one doping in football. It's got to be prevalent, one of the richest sports in the world and no problem with doping? Plus the tests they do is pretty basic - easily bypassed by sophisticated doctors etc. The football authorities don't want to know.

So we could speculate forever, but if the authorities aren't interested it won't make any difference.

JoaquinJoaquin

that's sure, the guy better provide evidence or losing his shirt and more on this dystopian bs.

edit: the fine border between enhanced performance and medical tratment with using legal / allowed substances is there though in every competitive sport and human endeavour whatever the level
There is evidence though. The case of him being banned while at Brescia and City being fined for breaking doping sanctions 3 times.

Last edited:

JoaquinJoaquin

Yup reading the Twitter account from that guy he realy sounds a doping expert, really credible opinion for a thread.
Not sure why you are so touchy on this subject. Do you really need to post the fact you don't believe 5 or 6 times? This a forum in which people discuss subjects.

Paul_Scholes18

I definitely believe this. I also believe the players wouldn't necessarily know they are being doped. I mean, the club doctor says take this vitamin or what not and you do it. The majority of football players would not question this.

However, I'm pretty sure Pep's not the only one doping in football. It's got to be prevalent, one of the richest sports in the world and no problem with doping? Plus the tests they do is pretty basic - easily bypassed by sophisticated doctors etc. The football authorities don't want to know.

So we could speculate forever, but if the authorities aren't interested it won't make any difference.
We already know how corrupt those authorities are. If they can sell the world cup to Qatar doping is nothing compared to that really.

Paul_Scholes18

Yeah that's pretty much my point :lol:
Yepp and I am sure most footballers don't really have a clue. They get stuff from the medical staff and take it. They might suspect it being shadyss, but not like they know the doping rules particulary well most of the time. No chemical doctors who play football at this level either. Sometimes maybe not even the managers know and the doctors just do it. Like the club say to the doctors make sure our players are in optimal shape and then they use drugs to improve the job they are doing.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Not sure why you are so touchy on this subject. Do you really need to post the fact you don't believe 5 or 6 times? This a forum in which people discuss subjects.
And why are you so worried if I say that guy doesn' look credible to me? Goes against your narrative or what?

Maybe if tomorrow someone starts a thread here saying something about Premier League teams being doped that's why there are 5 on the knockout stages maybe you will find it funny no?

And please a guy from the USA with this quote "Unfortunately, in European Sports where doping is rife these things are largely ignored." Of course the guy doesn't follow much American sports, does he?

Only a correction, he is from Australia, but does support American teams.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
There is evidence though. The case of him being banned while at Bologna and City being fined for breaking doping sanctions 3 times.
Italian clubs in the mid to late '90s used a combination of legal substances as performance enhancers, question is: was that doping? Doping may be not but fraud for sure, we non professional people do not assume legal anti-ashtma or thyroid regulators substances without a clear medical need... athletes from all sports today just declare they have a medical need and get the go ahead... again, illegal doping maybe not but legal fraud?

JoaquinJoaquin

And why are you so worried if I say that guy doesn' look credible to me? Goes against your narrative or what?

Maybe if tomorrow someone starts a thread here saying something about Premier League teams being doped that's why there are 5 on the knockout stages maybe you will find it funny no?

And please a guy from the USA with this quote "Unfortunately, in European Sports where doping is rife these things are largely ignored." Of course the guy doesn't follow much American sports, does he?
I don't care about my narrative. I posted it for discussion as it certainly is a subject that requires attention and this is a discussion forum after all.

Coming out with a flat claim like the bolded is daft if you have no evidence at all to back it up (which you don't). Pep has evidence against him so of course the question marks remain.

If Pep is your relative I say sorry.

Last edited:

Chairman Woodie

Interesting! I didn't know about Pep's past and the speculation or rumours surrounding the use of performance enhancing drugs.

Oddly enough I had thought the same about another PL team last season.

Paul_Scholes18

Italian clubs in the mid to late '90s used a combination of legal substances as performance enhancers, question is: was that doping? Doping may be not but fraud for sure, we non professional people do not assume legal anti-ashtma or thyroid regulators substances without a clear medical need... athletes from all sports today just declare they have a medical need and get the go ahead... again, illegal doping maybe not but legal fraud?
Yeah it is funny cause I had ashtma and well I think maybe I could have been classified as doping. Not much control though in the lower leagues and I was never any good at running anyway so none would suspect me ;). My asthma is kind of gone now though and I suspect using stuff would give some minor boost.