Pep - Doping (?) | Are PEDs being used by footballers

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
Man allegedly gains moderate amount of weight and muscle
Young man, professional athlete, with all the time in the world to spend in a very well equipped training facility supported by very good physios and possibly a lot of protein shakes....
Conclusion? Steroids.
No doubt.

As for "impossible to change body/under skin fat that much in just 3 months" - I can easily age 10 years in a day by doing a 300km bike race :)

That's really not unbelievable at all. With 3 months of hard training and a strict diet anybody could get a similar transformation. It's not like he's turned into Mr. Olympia.

The kind of steroids used to build muscle are easily detectable and wouldn't be worth the risk.

crossy1686

career ending
He's been running less and lifting weights more, while probably eating more or less the same diet. All those calories have to go somewhere folks, this isn't steroid abuse, and for that matter, steroids in football make absolutely zero sense. Footballers don't need a build like Mr. Olympia, it's a hindrance if anything.

SirAF

Ageist
He's been running less and lifting weights more, while probably eating more or less the same diet. All those calories have to go somewhere folks, this isn't steroid abuse, and for that matter, steroids in football make absolutely zero sense. Footballers don't need a build like Mr. Olympia, it's a hindrance if anything.
This. EPO is the way to go if you were looking for an advantage in football.

Adam_S

Testosterone and related substances can aid in recovery and increase red blood cell count. There's a reason all those cyclists take it.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
Testosterone and related substances can aid in recovery and increase red blood cell count. There's a reason all those cyclists take it.
Nah strength endurance sports like cycling, XC skiing etc. are EPO, Cera, HGH and blood transfusion country. Some will also take Testosterone for fast recovery and pain threshold but the substance is clearly in the back seat with these guys.

crossy1686

career ending
There's way, way, way better things on the market for recovery than steroids. HGH, Cardarine, SR009, SR0011 are probably rife, but steroids are not.

youmeletsfly

Just saw this picture of Davies today. Look at his veins and the texture of his skin, no way that's natural.
I mean, we should all know that all top athletes in sports use PED's, given how much money there is in the game, but c'mon, this guy looks like a cheap instagram bodybuilder.

Handré1990

Just saw this picture of Davies today. Look at his veins and the texture of his skin, no way that's natural.
I mean, we should all know that all top athletes in sports use PED's, given how much money there is in the game, but c'mon, this guy looks like a cheap instagram bodybuilder.

So in your mind low fat and high muscle mass definitely means PED’s? Gotcha

I really hope you're joking.
You know PEDs have feck all to do with vascularity right? It comes from having high muscle mass and low body fat, and given it's summer pre season probably the blood flow in the heat. None of those things require drugs. Davies has always been ripped.

GazTheLegend

A lot of the "logic" in these threads boils down to stuff that usually gets dismissed as conspiracy theory bullshit when applied to other topics.
Because they are conspiracy bullshit :lol:
I get unbelievably irritated when you morons start accusing anyone of trying to start a conversation about this sort of thing of being a "conspiracy theorist". As if there wasn't literally a REAL LIFE conspiracy proven within the last few years which has led to the Olympics only allowing Russians to compete as the ROC.

Anyway, there was a good article in the Guardian about athletics a few years back.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...-wider-usage-published-after-scandalous-delay

"Almost six-year wrangle delays release of anonymous surveys done after elite athletics events in 2011, in which 57% of competitors doing admitted doping compared to under 4% in Wada results"

So yeah. If you don't believe in specific cases or pointing fingers at specific individuals like here - fine. But don't tar the entire debate as a "conspiracy theory" because that's mind boggling -STUPID-, irritating, and actually counter productive if you want sport to be -clean-, which some of us desperately do.

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
I get unbelievably irritated when you morons start accusing anyone of trying to start a conversation about this sort of thing of being a "conspiracy theorist". As if there wasn't literally a REAL LIFE conspiracy proven within the last few years which has led to the Olympics only allowing Russians to compete as the ROC.

Anyway, there was a good article in the Guardian about athletics a few years back.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...-wider-usage-published-after-scandalous-delay

"Almost six-year wrangle delays release of anonymous surveys done after elite athletics events in 2011, in which 57% of competitors doing admitted doping compared to under 4% in Wada results"

So yeah. If you don't believe in specific cases or pointing fingers at specific individuals like here - fine. But don't tar the entire debate as a "conspiracy theory" because that's mind boggling -STUPID-, irritating, and actually counter productive if you want sport to be -clean-, which some of us desperately do.
I don't want sports to be clean.
Happy? Now continue with your great work.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Maybe the sprinters (Cycling sprinters) might take it. But i remember lance saying if you are going up the hills, it is all about oxygen.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Maybe last season was the off cycle for Davis and Bayern. They’re back and roided better than ever.

youmeletsfly

You know PEDs have feck all to do with vascularity right? It comes from having high muscle mass and low body fat, and given it's summer pre season probably the blood flow in the heat. None of those things require drugs. Davies has always been ripped.
I've been working out for a long long time and I can tell you that you can't reach that amount of low body fat naturally without feeling like shit. There is a very "normal" limit you can achieve while being natural, irrespective of you being a regular guy, a bodybuilder or a football player.

Staying at 8-10% body fat without steroids or SARM is nearly impossible, even if you hit the 0,001% genetic lottery. Football players and athletes stay around that body fat level almost 365/365 days, I really hope you know how difficult that is to manage, especially considering they're playing football during that period as well. There are people that go to the gym twice a day and spend 10 to 100K every 3 months on steroids, TST replacement and still can't manage to be consistently ripped.

I'm not trying to be deliberately obtuse or rude, but thinking a professional athlete can stay at such a low body fat and still perform brilliantly all year long without banned substances is hilarious.

Take the Goretzka or Bale scenarios. They gained like 8-10kg of lean muscle mass in a year. That's fecking impossible to achieve naturally even if your only goal is to build muscle and you're not doing anything else (we're not talking about gaining 8-10 kg of muscle mass in a year, that can be done with bulking, we're talking about adding serious size while being at 7-8-10% body fat). Add tens of thousands of miles of running during a year and it's god damn impossible even if you're a Greek god. Also should be taken in consideration that football players somehow build that muscle mass during the off season, they magically gain some kgs of lean muscle in periods where they're not drug tested.

C'mon, let's grow up a bit. You don't think they'd use all the advantage of medical technology in an industry worth so many billions? Or should we believe that Cristiano is at 6% body fat as a natural for the last 8-12 years?

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Do you know what red blood cells do?
Lance was basically saying that taking steroids to increase your red blood cell count, wont do much. You have to do transfusions or epo. Basically said it was pointless taking steroids to go up the hills. This is lance as well. The poster boy for doping.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I've been working out for a long long time and I can tell you that you can't reach that amount of low body fat naturally without feeling like shit.
Yep. This summer I cut down to my lowest bf % I’ve been like, ever, and I’d just feel insanely groggy at my desk doing work, let alone the gym.

villain

Hates Beyoncé

Looks like genetics to me, a quick look on his wikipedia page says he has Liberian heritage. I was gonna say that whenever I go back home (Ghana) you can regularly see kids as young as 11/12 with 6 packs, muscles etc playing football on the side of the road and I believe one of the major indigenous ethnic groups of Liberia immigrated originally from Ancient Ghana - so yeah not a big surprise really.

FatTails

That’s the evidence you’re going with? Jesus wept.

Boavista

I just googled Davies to see other recent pictures of him. If you go on his instagram you can see that the photo you posted here isn't even the original. Have a look yourself and you'll see that the vascularity and skin texture you've pointed out as signs of doping are actually due to photo editing. The original looks far more natural.

Conor

While I don't doubt that loads of them are on something, that photo has definitely been edited, similar to that photo of Bale's hamstrings from a few years ago.

Superden

if man city and liverpool are doing it and getting away with it, then i bloody hell hope we are too.

Corey

Take the Goretzka or Bale scenarios. They gained like 8-10kg of lean muscle mass in a year. That's fecking impossible to achieve naturally even if your only goal is to build muscle and you're not doing anything else (we're not talking about gaining 8-10 kg of muscle mass in a year, that can be done with bulking, we're talking about adding serious size while being at 7-8-10% body fat). Add tens of thousands of miles of running during a year and it's god damn impossible even if you're a Greek god. Also should be taken in consideration that football players somehow build that muscle mass during the off season, they magically gain some kgs of lean muscle in periods where they're not drug tested.
Where are you getting these numbers from out of interest?

VanDeBank

Ma’am
@Boavista

@youmeletsfly
He looks more like an A&F model than one of those lying "natural" bodybuilders. A lot of those models are on 'roids, but those physiques are attainable with good genetics and hard work. The same is true for a lot of actors.

Where are you getting these numbers from out of interest?
The same place that unloads after morning coffee.

Oranges038

I just googled Davies to see other recent pictures of him. If you go on his instagram you can see that the photo you posted here isn't even the original. Have a look yourself and you'll see that the vascularity and skin texture you've pointed out as signs of doping are actually due to photo editing. The original looks far more natural.
I googled Davies too and found this image of him and Kimmich with Angela Merkel.

Lastwolf

The same is true for a lot of actors.
Bruh, all those actors are on something, they get paid really well to look a certain way, pretty much every one in Marvel movie is juiced to the gills, The Rock is as wide as he is tall and 50 years old, Christian Bale put on like 60lb in less than 6 months.

These things are not possible without assistance.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Bruh, all those actors are on something, they get paid really well to look a certain way, pretty much every one in Marvel movie is juiced to the gills, The Rock is as wide as he is tall and 50 years old, Christian Bale put on like 60lb in less than 6 months.

These things are not possible without assistance.
Most are on 'roids, because its easy (and often practical given little preparation time)
but while juiced, some have physiques that are naturally attainable with good genetics and hard work.

Amell (top) I could see being natural, and even if he wasn't, that level of mass and leanness is attainable.
Ramsey (bottom) is clearly juiced.

There's a lot of actors that are juiced and look way shittier than Amell, which kinda proves my point.

I've been working out for a long long time and I can tell you that you can't reach that amount of low body fat naturally without feeling like shit. There is a very "normal" limit you can achieve while being natural, irrespective of you being a regular guy, a bodybuilder or a football player.

Staying at 8-10% body fat without steroids or SARM is nearly impossible, even if you hit the 0,001% genetic lottery. Football players and athletes stay around that body fat level almost 365/365 days, I really hope you know how difficult that is to manage, especially considering they're playing football during that period as well. There are people that go to the gym twice a day and spend 10 to 100K every 3 months on steroids, TST replacement and still can't manage to be consistently ripped.

I'm not trying to be deliberately obtuse or rude, but thinking a professional athlete can stay at such a low body fat and still perform brilliantly all year long without banned substances is hilarious.

C'mon, let's grow up a bit. You don't think they'd use all the advantage of medical technology in an industry worth so many billions? Or should we believe that Cristiano is at 6% body fat as a natural for the last 8-12 years?
Some of your numbers are frankly nonsense, but the body begins to struggle to function below about 8% body fat as cortisol increases and testosterone decreases. It's different for everyone, but that's about average. Professional PL footballers range from about 9% to 13% (there have been studies done on that). So they're not at the point where performance suffers, and those numbers are easily achievable with proper training and nutrition of the sort you will not have even if you have been working out for a long long time. Each player has their own tailored nutrition and training plan that gets them as close to their personal limit without taking them over it. They're not guessing at it, clubs spend millions on this stuff.

Do footballers take PEDs? Sure, I'd be amazed if they didn't. Does Alphonso Davies look like that because he is taking them? No.

But I understand now. You go to your local Fitness First so you think you train the way professional athletes do, and you see a photo of Davies looking like that and wonder why you can't look like that too. They are different to you, they're not doing this with a 9 to 5 job, Myprotein.com supplement stack and a dodgy workout programme.

The other thing with that photo is that he has his sleeves rolled up tight to his shoulders, which will act a bit like an occlusion band and make his veins pop out further.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
While I don't doubt that loads of them are on something, that photo has definitely been edited, similar to that photo of Bale's hamstrings from a few years ago.
It’s just contrast, shadows and sharpening. It’s a bit daft but seems to be the thing that people do now. It’s really weird as the original looks way better.

fergieisold

Assuming he was on drugs, along with every other footballer. What are they using that evades detection?

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Staying at 8-10% body fat without steroids or SARM is nearly impossible, even if you hit the 0,001% genetic lottery.
This is utter nonsense. I ran somewhat competitively for a good number of years. It was almost harder to get fat than it was to stay that lean.

Getting there is tough. Staying there is a doozy.

8thWonder

If anyone doubts PED's are widely used in football I'd be amazed.

Of course it's happening, the rewards are too high and the authorities have no desire to open up a can of worms by looking into it.

The Premier League could absolutely destroy there own image if they went out and found a lot of players using them, as in genuine millions of pounds lost so it's definitely not in there own interest to look properly.

However, you can't just pull up a picture of a professional athlete and accuse them of doping, that's ridiculous.