'Pep' Guardiola sack watch

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Who are these squad players who are miles better? Here is an estimation of their second team. Steffen, ?, Stones, Aké, Zinchenko, Fernandinho, Palmer, ?, Grealish, Sterling and Jesus.

Who out of these is miles better exactly than the players found at United, Liverpool or Chelsea? Even Liverpool who have the cheapest squad out of the 4 have the likes of Keïta, Chamberlain, Milner, Konaté, Gomez and Jota or Firmino as second string. That's at least as good as City's.
Wait, people really think United has squad depth as City? This has to be a joke, i see many Man Utd fans complaining about the quality of the team, and now i read that they have the same quality as City...WTF.

Do people really think that Gundogan,KDB, Fernandinho are the same quality as Fred, McTominay, and Matic.
How is Wan Bissaka as good as Cancelo? Is Maguire as good as Diaz?
Man Utd only has 3 WC players : Varane, Pogba (when he is 100% fit), and Ronaldo, and even Ronaldo is debatable cause he will be 37 in February, and hasn't done better than in PL Michael Antonio and Emmanuel Dennis.

People is severely overrating United squad, they can't control the game against Aston Villa,Watford,etc but somehow they have a depth squad as good as City...yeah sure.

chisnall_red

Supports
Citeh
It probably is now, that is debatable. But none of those players were considered miles better than their rivals. Stones was another "overrated" english player. Who heard of Fernandinho before? Grealish had a brilliant season or two for an average PL team and Jesus? I can probably agree to Gündogan but he wasn't any more or less valued than Mkhitaryan or Kagawa when he arrived. The prices are high but a big reason for that is that everyone knows they're rich and you add in the PL tax and you get ridiculous prices. The fact is City have not made a single head turner super star signing à la Real, PSG or us. The closest they came to buying a ready made world class player is maybe KDB and even that is debatable at the time of his signing. Add to that how many times they missed out on targets to direct rivals like Van Persie, Fred, Sanchez, Maguire, Jorginho and Ronaldo because they wouldn't pay the asking price. If you consider all these factors, in what world do they have a clear financial advantage over us or Chelsea in the PL?
Not sure why I can’t post ‘like’ - maybe I can’t find the frickin button, but anyway - LIKE

The amount of revisionism regarding Pep is utterly astounding - pre Grealish he don’t have a single top money signing of any position in his team - he won titles with people like Zinchenko, Delph and as others mention a washed up, perma crock Gundogan as his highest scorer. Total rejects like Stones gradually become solid players that represent his over priced back four. He doesn’t have a single player bar De Bruyne that Madrid or PSG would normally want to sign and won his last title with him pretty much injured for the whole season. And the only reason he wins is because of money
No matter the line up every single player knows their job inside out and if you ignore who’s on the pitch they play the same game - incredibly well drilled.
Also apparently his style is obvious and predictable; well there’s a few other decent managers in the worlds most expensive league and nobody seems to have sussed out how to beat him consistently- in fact when someone does it’s Pep who works out how to even it up and then take over the H2H
If he managed here the kind of posts about him would be unrecognisable. Hilarious really

NoPace

Not sure why I can’t post ‘like’ - maybe I can’t find the frickin button, but anyway - LIKE

The amount of revisionism regarding Pep is utterly astounding - pre Grealish he don’t have a single top money signing of any position in his team - he won titles with people like Zinchenko, Delph and as others mention a washed up, perma crock Gundogan as his highest scorer. Total rejects like Stones gradually become solid players that represent his over priced back four. He doesn’t have a single player bar De Bruyne that Madrid or PSG would normally want to sign and won his last title with him pretty much injured for the whole season. And the only reason he wins is because of money
No matter the line up every single player knows their job inside out and if you ignore who’s on the pitch they play the same game - incredibly well drilled.
Also apparently his style is obvious and predictable; well there’s a few other decent managers in the worlds most expensive league and nobody seems to have sussed out how to beat him consistently- in fact when someone does it’s Pep who works out how to even it up and then take over the H2H
If he managed here the kind of posts about him would be unrecognisable. Hilarious really
Pep's an incredible coach but this is a bit much. Ruben Dias walks into either team, as does Cancelo (though he's certainly improved under Pep, he still cost 27M + Danilo which is probably around 50M) and there's never been a football team ever constructed that Bernardo Silva wouldn't end up getting lots of minutes for as long that wasn't coached by someone who thinks having the ball is risky.

Tuchel has worked him out well but all 4 of the Chelsea wide players disappointed yesterday, though to be fair, Kovacic and Kante were put under insane pressure and there may not be a CL team City face who have a midfield 2 that capable under pressure (I shudder to think what Fred and McTominay would look like if we'd given them the job they had yesterday in possession) when they've got 4 players pressing them apart from maybe Madrid for a half until Modric and Kroos run out of gas.

Saying Pep is predictable is dumb, because he tweaks things well in the front 3 (and would do more with his fullbacks if their left-back wasn't constantly injured or facing prosecution) but has shown he's certainly capable of setting his team up with 3 at the back and I'm not sure what else he could do other than have a plan B for CL knockout games away like Fergie eventually developed, but overall it didn't give him a much better record than Pep had in the competition and it certainly wouldn't suit his players. Though I do wonder if he'll be a bit more cautious going forward a bit and play 3 CBs away or something of that ilk if they draw Bayern, Liverpool or Madrid, while still trying to keep the ball and play a high line.

NoPace

Player for player, United have equally good if not better squad than City. They are just superbly well drilled, cohesive unit. And it is all down to world class coaching.
Gundogan, Bernardo Silva, KDB and Rodri would all walk into our midfield, though Bruno would probably be better under Pep. City have better CBs and fullbacks too. Our front 3 would probably be better than City's if coached by Pep.

Theonas

Scout
Pep's an incredible coach but this is a bit much. Ruben Dias walks into either team, as does Cancelo (though he's certainly improved under Pep, he still cost 27M + Danilo which is probably around 50M) and there's never been a football team ever constructed that Bernardo Silva wouldn't end up getting lots of minutes for as long that wasn't coached by someone who thinks having the ball is risky.

Tuchel has worked him out well but all 4 of the Chelsea wide players disappointed yesterday, though to be fair, Kovacic and Kante were put under insane pressure and there may not be a CL team City face who have a midfield 2 that capable under pressure (I shudder to think what Fred and McTominay would look like if we'd given them the job they had yesterday in possession) when they've got 4 players pressing them apart from maybe Madrid for a half until Modric and Kroos run out of gas.

Saying Pep is predictable is dumb, because he tweaks things well in the front 3 (and would do more with his fullbacks if their left-back wasn't constantly injured or facing prosecution) but has shown he's certainly capable of setting his team up with 3 at the back and I'm not sure what else he could do other than have a plan B for CL knockout games away like Fergie eventually developed, but overall it didn't give him a much better record than Pep had in the competition and it certainly wouldn't suit his players. Though I do wonder if he'll be a bit more cautious going forward a bit and play 3 CBs away or something of that ilk if they draw Bayern, Liverpool or Madrid, while still trying to keep the ball and play a high line.
The most successful CL sides recently did not tweak their style or structure for the big games. I am talking here about Pep's Barcelona, the Bayern teams of the past decade, Liverpool recently under Klopp and of course Real Madrid. They had a set style and played it every game trying to outplay their opponents. Real were definitely less focused on territorial and possession dominance but they still played their regular lineup in every big game. Pre- Barcelona, that was much more common with the likes of Rafa, Mourinho and the Italian managers playing what amounted to a chess game where it was all about making sure you don't concede. This is why Fergie adapted to his time, but if you are playing today, there is nothing to suggest it would yield more success.

AndySmith1990

Player for player, United have equally good if not better squad than City. They are just superbly well drilled, cohesive unit. And it is all down to world class coaching.
I wonder just how bad we have to get before the overrating of our squad finally stops

keithsingleton

Wait, people really think United has squad depth as City? This has to be a joke, i see many Man Utd fans complaining about the quality of the team, and now i read that they have the same quality as City...WTF.

Do people really think that Gundogan,KDB, Fernandinho are the same quality as Fred, McTominay, and Matic.
Man Utd only has 3 WC players : Varane, Pogba (when he is 100% fit), and Ronaldo, and even Ronaldo is debatable cause he will be 37 in February, and hasn't done better than in PL Michael Antonio and Emmanuel Dennis.

People is severely overrating United squad, they can't control the game against Aston Villa,Watford,etc but somehow they have a depth squad as good as City...yeah sure.
Any United fan that think we have a better squad than shitty city don’t know anything about football.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
His typical bench until very recently would have… Stones, Ake, Zinchenko, Mendy (still a player he spent 50 million on and played until recently), Fernandinho, Gundogan, Grealish, Jesus, Ferran (who will be replaced). It’s miles better than any rival and is worth an absolute fortune.
I can't say I'm looking at this list of names and being blown away or anything. It's just some football players.

NoPace

The most successful CL sides recently did not tweak their style or structure for the big games. I am talking here about Pep's Barcelona, the Bayern teams of the past decade, Liverpool recently under Klopp and of course Real Madrid. They had a set style and played it every game trying to outplay their opponents. Real were definitely less focused on territorial and possession dominance but they still played their regular lineup in every big game. Pre- Barcelona, that was much more common with the likes of Rafa, Mourinho and the Italian managers playing what amounted to a chess game where it was all about making sure you don't concede. This is why Fergie adapted to his time, but if you are playing today, there is nothing to suggest it would yield more success.
That's a very good point, but Pep does keep losing in the CL.

I'd argue Madrid weren't as structured. They dominated Atletico in that first final and have played on the break in others. Also Barcelona did win a final by playing more on the break with MSN against Juve when their midfield had dropped in quality.

Pep isn't going to suddenly park the bus and give away possession, but if he stays at City (or ends up elsewhere) I won't be surprised if he comes up with something that's a bit more defensive for some big CL games, like going back to 3 at the back or a double pivot so they don't give up as many counters. If they replace Fernandinho as the backup to Rodri with someone a bit more mobile so they can play them together (like De Jong) I could see the latter, or if they spend big on a left back who can play wingback like Theo Hernandez.

He won't make big changes, but the next buy being about a plan B for CL away games/finals apart from the classical 4-3-3 they're playing makes sense considering their next 3 buys are probably a left-back, a more traditional #9 and a DM to replace Fernandinho, all of which could make changing from that 4-3-3 a stronger move (though technically just signing a 9 wouldn't mean they're changing much other than maybe coming out and playing more directly in possession in a one-off game).

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
If Klopp and Pep had gone to opposite clubs 5 years ago (so Klopp to City and Pep to Liverpool), and all players bought remained exactly as today, how many league titles do you think Pep would have won while Klopp was his rival?

I'll take a guess, probably one.

But Klopp would have won 4 PL's and at least two CLs in that time, probably even three. Do you see what is being argued here?
If Klopp and Pep had gone to opposite clubs five years ago all players bought wouldn't have remained exactly the same.

One of the biggest- no, the biggest reason why Pep wins more than Klopp is because he likes a squad of about 18-20 players. Klopp likes a starting XI, an assortment of kind-of-okay backups and a few downright not-good-enough players to make up the numbers. Then he plays a game called "oh crap I hope nobody important gets injured". When they don't, he wins things, but more often than not they do and it stops his team from being as successful as they should be.

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
Liverpool's best 11 is a match for City's, that's true, but what happens when you go beyond those 11 players? The third and fourth choices for City are miles better, in fact they can virtually field two teams that match Liverpool's best lineup. That's where leagues are won, it's well known the 2008 Manchester United's best lineup only actually played together once, the squad is so important to win leagues and City are way ahead thanks purely to the oil money.
If it was purely down to the oil money then United and Chelsea would at least be somewhat close to us in terms of squad quality, depth, results and trophies because the difference in expenditure between the three clubs isn't that massive.

It's money, but it's also our board, our philosophies and also (more than anyone realises) Pep. That's why City won't be nearly as successful after Pep leaves, and it's why Newcastle won't just automatically become the next City like people assume. They need to have the right board sticking to the right principles and hiring the right managers.

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
Yeah, who were immediately replaced by super expensive players and added to de Bruyne, Sterling, Aguero, Kompany, Fernandinho, David Silva etc…

So the only season he didn’t have a ridiculous first eleven, rather than a merely very good one was his first one.

He arrived as manager and had…

Kompany, Toure, Aguero, David Silva, Sterling Fernandinho and de Bruyne already in his squad

By the time he won his first title, he had brought in….

Stones, Sane, Gundogan, Jesus, Laporte, Mendy, Walker, Bernardo Silva, Ederson and Danilo to the tune of over €460 million (values from transfermarkt)

Like how impressed are we supposed to be exactly?
On paper (before this season started and a lot of their reputations dropped), I would argue that

De Gea
Shaw
Varane
Maguire
Wan-Bissaka
Fred
Pogba
Fernandes
Sancho
Ronaldo
Rashford

Is as good an XI as the one that Pep won his first league title with. I mean, who was Leroy Sané at the time, really? Or Bernardo Silva, who'd only just had his breakout season? People laughed their arses off at how much we "overpaid" for Ederson. Kyle Walker was an overrated attacking full-back who couldn't defend. John Stones was a mess. Nico Otamendi was kind of a laughing stock for every season he played in England except that one. We played Fabian Delph and Oleks Zinchenko at left-back. Nobody thought much of Fernandinho before then, public opinion of Raheem Sterling was even lower than usual and we'd spent a year hearing that Agüero would never work in a Pep system.

To simply say that his first title was because he had the best squad is overlooking the fact that he made them the best squad. It's purely in hindsight.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'

Eyyy Bruno is our best player, why haven’t you included him. He’s better than Pogba by a margin.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
On paper (before this season started and a lot of their reputations dropped), I would argue that

De Gea
Shaw
Varane
Maguire
Wan-Bissaka
Fred
Pogba
Fernandes
Sancho
Ronaldo
Rashford

Is as good an XI as the one that Pep won his first league title with. I mean, who was Leroy Sané at the time, really? Or Bernardo Silva, who'd only just had his breakout season? People laughed their arses off at how much we "overpaid" for Ederson. Kyle Walker was an overrated attacking full-back who couldn't defend. John Stones was a mess. Nico Otamendi was kind of a laughing stock for every season he played in England except that one. We played Fabian Delph and Oleks Zinchenko at left-back. Nobody thought much of Fernandinho before then, public opinion of Raheem Sterling was even lower than usual and we'd spent a year hearing that Agüero would never work in a Pep system.

To simply say that his first title was because he had the best squad is overlooking the fact that he made them the best squad. It's purely in hindsight.
This is anti vax levels of denial now. No one outside Redcafe (Utd fans) thought the players you mentioned above were anything higher than mid PL table level. Maybe at the time Shaw, De Gea, Varane, Bruno and probably Sancho. But the rest we (non Utd fans) knew were less than average. Yes that includes a very old Ronaldo.

City's squad in Pep's first season were another few levels.

NoLogo

This is anti vax levels of denial now. No one outside Redcafe (Utd fans) thought the players you mentioned above were anything higher than mid PL table level. Maybe at the time Shaw, De Gea, Varane, Bruno and probably Sancho. But the rest we (non Utd fans) knew were less than average. Yes that includes a very old Ronaldo.

But, but, but we bought Ronaldo. This was the best transfer summer ever. :(

Theonas

Scout

So Pep was looking for less than average players in Maguire and Fred? Pogba won a WC being an automatic starter every game and contributing a significant chunk plus being the same for a successful Juventus side. How were these players on paper before arriving significantly average compared to Dias (I think it was virtually zero competition for him, an unknown to your average football fan in the UK) or Rodri who also arrived with a similar reputation. Pogba was chased by every big club in Europe, I don't think you can say that about a single City player before their arrival. Maybe KdB at a stretch? But the lad was in Wolfsburg having won absolutely nothing in his career.

So can you please explain how did you and everyone know these players are average whereas all these football managers and clubs failed to see this?

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur

You have to be a troll

Paddy B

Supports
Manchester City
I am not gonna comment on the quality of City and United players and have just two things to say. Pep is, without doubt, one of the best managers ever and I really worry what will happen when he finally leaves City :confused:

Jibbs

I wonder just how bad we have to get before the overrating of our squad finally stops
lets compare? who is individually better than Ronaldo, Rashford, Cavani, Sancho, Mason and Martial in City?
Who is better than Bruno and Pogba in City's attacking midfield? KDB and Bernardo are at par not better.
Gundogan, Fernandinho and Rodri are not really better than Fred, McT, Matic.
Who is better than Varane and Maguire in City, Dias might be better than the rest but definitely not better than Varane. Maguire is better than all other City defenders.
Degea is overall arguably better than their sweeper keeper.

Like I said, they are just superbly well drilled, cohesive unit. And it is all down to world class coaching.

Last edited:

Jibbs

City is better coached team, their coaching staff are miles better, City is run by professionals not by nepotistic appointments and investment bankers.

Mata could have a career like Silva in City, KdB would fizzle like Pogba in United.

Last edited:

Paddy B

Supports
Manchester City
lets compare? who is individually better than Ronaldo, Rashford, Cavani, Sancho, Mason and Martial in City?
Who is better than Bruno and Pogba in City's attacking midfield? KDB and Bernardo are at par not better.
Gundogan, Fernandinho and Rodri are not really better than Fred, McT, Matic.
Who is better than Varane and Maguire in City, Dias might be better than the rest but definitely not better than Varane. Maguire is better than all other City defenders.
Degea is overall arguably better than their sweeper keeper.
Haha!!!...what did John McEnroe say...you cannot be serious!!!.

romufc

City is better coached team, their coaching staff are miles better, City is run by professionals not nepotistic appointments and investment bankers.

Mata could have a career like Silva in City, KdB would fizzle like Pogba in United.
Exactly this.

No way would Cancelo, Dias look that good in a United Shirt.

Foden would be Greenwoods level, instead he has gone past Greenwood in terms of success on the pitch.

Mahrez, Sterling, Bernado would all struggle in a red shirt.

All that is because of the problems from the top.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.

City aren’t light years ahead of Utd because of players…

They haven’t currently even got a striker FFS.

Ciry are run, on the football side, by people that are solely interested in footballing excellence and have built very successful squads before.

Utd, football wise are run by Ed Woodward - a banker who knows utterly nothing about football and has a track record of nothing but failure in that area.

City’s owners seem intent on employing the only best people in each respective position - from the top down, and right through the team itself.

Utd’s owners reward those who protect their own failings / shenanigans - Woodward, Solskjaer etc. This filters down through the team itself.

If City had signed Pogba, VdB, Sancho, Rashford, Mata etc under Guardiola - their careers, and your opinions of them would be very, very different.

JDoe

Supports
Bayern

De Gea
Shaw
Varane
Maguire
Wan-Bissaka
Fred
Pogba
Fernandes
Sancho
Ronaldo
Rashford

Pep is without a doubt world-class, but this has to be a joke, right? Pep bought all those players, or do you think he somehow deliberately overpaid for overrated players just to prove to the world he can turn them into good ones? Stones was the most expensive CB before VVD, Laporte and Dias (latter two are also ironically are City players), Walker was the most expensive fullback ever alongside Mendy/Cancelo, Otamendi was never a starter CB apart from the first season where City won nothing, Sané was the biggest talent in the BL at that time, Silva was voted the best player in Ligue 1 ahead of Mbappé when he was at Monaco. And pretty much all of those players were bought BEFORE prices went absolutely crazy after the Neymar transfer. Your squad is the world's most expensive squad ever assembled together with a hilariously badly managed United, miles ahead of anyone else (50% more than Pools, more than double of Bayern Munich's).

Ladron de redcafe

City is better coached team, their coaching staff are miles better, City is run by professionals not nepotistic appointments and investment bankers.

City and Liverpool have two of the best managers ever in Guardiola and Klopp, and it's no wonder their players look as good as they do, with the focus and attention to detail that elite managers bring.

Unfortunately, United don't have a manager of the caliber of those two and the United squad - world beaters on paper - don't quite look as good as it should.

gajender

City and Liverpool have two of the best managers ever in Guardiola and Klopp, and it's no wonder their players look as good as they do, with the focus and attention to detail that elite managers bring.

Unfortunately, United don't have a manager of the caliber of those two and the United squad - world beaters on paper - don't quite look as good as it should.
Are you serious Klopp has done well but this is hyperbolic nonsense .

Zen86

Pep is without a doubt world-class, but this has to be a joke, right? Pep bought all those players, or do you think he somehow deliberately overpaid for overrated players just to prove to the world he can turn them into good ones? Stones was the most expensive CB before VVD, Laporte and Dias (latter two are also ironically are City players), Walker was the most expensive fullback ever alongside Mendy/Cancelo, Otamendi was never a starter CB apart from the first season where City won nothing, Sané was the biggest talent in the BL at that time, Silva was voted the best player in Ligue 1 ahead of Mbappé when he was at Monaco. And pretty much all of those players were bought BEFORE prices went absolutely crazy after the Neymar transfer. Your squad is the world's most expensive squad ever assembled together with a hilariously badly managed United, miles ahead of anyone else (50% more than Pools, more than double of Bayern Munich's).
I’ve never known a fanbase try to rewrite history as much as them, they’ll be telling us Pep’s first title was a bunch of local lads from the youth academy before long.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Pep has turned the epl into a one horse league
There's a lot of arguing about squad quality, depth etc but City's trump card, the thing they have that no-one else can match, even if they spent the same amount of money, is Pep.

Jibbs

Haha!!!...what did John McEnroe say...you cannot be serious!!!.
I am serious when I say any of City's current players would look just as average in United side and put any of United players in City, and they would suddenly start looking like world beaters.

dinostar77

He is a fantastic coach, but he has the most expensive squad ever assembled. Ederson, dias, cancelo, kdb, silva, laporte, fernandinho, rodri and sterling would all be good enough to get into the big spainish sides.

However he keeps failing in CL without Messi. Also guilty of over tinkering in knockout stages.

Lets not forget man city are also guilty of financial doping to get around ffp.

His playing style wouldnt work with players of lesser technical ability.

Would still have him at Utd coach, though he wouldnt have been as successful here and glazers wouldnt have backed him the way city have.

dove

It’s almost as if it’s easier with unlimited funds and resources.
We don't need to look far to see that spending doesn't necessarily lead to success. I don't understand why is it so hard to admit he is a great manager and probably the best in the world. I get that he is a manager of our rivals but feck me, don't need to be so sensitive about it that it completely clouds the judgement.