'Pep' Guardiola sack watch

Marwood

He needs 3 more big trophies to equal Fergie. 6 if we don't count winning the Bundesliga as a big trophy ( :nervous: ).

But even if he catches up to Fergie I doubt he'll be considered the better manager. What Fergie did with Aberdeen is special too. I just can't see Pep doing something like that.
What Fergie did with United is more than Peps ever achieved. Never mind Aberdeen.

If you only ever manage the team wtth the best players or the most money there's a question mark.

Until he takes on a proper challenge Pep shouldn't be considered as the best ever or even be in the discussion.

Of course today's sport media don't really care about detail or context. It's about hype. So Pep will lauded by them likely without ever really taking on that big challenge of building a team and club.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Of course today's sport media don't really care about detail or context.
Yes, football is far too complex to merely focus on trophies. It's not boxing or tennis. It's a team sport that is highly dependent on club management, money, referee calls and fine margins. Context matters.

It's a separate discussion, but I actually rate Klopp as highly as Mourinho even though the latter is more than twice as successful.

TsuWave

Julia rolls deep with United too. Manchester, LA, it doesn't matter. She'll pop up to see the reds:

I know these pictures are like Ether to Pep and have his soul burning slow

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He needs 3 more big trophies to equal Fergie. 6 if we don't count winning the Bundesliga as a big trophy ( :nervous: ).

But even if he catches up to Fergie I doubt he'll be considered the better manager. What Fergie did with Aberdeen is special too. I just can't see Pep doing something like that.
Will make it all the more fun when those titles are stripped off them

Ludens the Red

He’s being pretty funny here tbf :lol:

Although there is truth and sadness behind it in that deep down he doesnt ever feel City will get the attention United get.

Thing I find weird is he obviously doesn’t feel City get enough praise which is staggering.
I don’t think any team in the history of football has received as many plaudits as City have over the years. For a team who haven’t won the Champions League they’ve routinely been labelled as the best side in the world.
Look at all the salivating over players like Foden, De Bruyne, Silva and Haaland.

His insecurities are actually quite alarming. If it’s such an issue just leave city and go to a club with more ‘history’ and ‘prestige’ and be done with it. This act is a bit tiresome.

IRONTUSK

They have just won 7-0 in the champions league and he is talking about Julia Roberts visiting United overshadowing them winning the competition.

Just let that sink in

Loon

:lol:
He sounds like Tony Book in the 70s when he kept harping on about United.

Some things never change.

MataFanatic

Julia Roberts > Manchester City

It is decided
Idea for a new chant...what do you think??
"Pretty woman, walking down the street.
"Pretty woman, she f**king hates city.
"Pretty woman, I believe you. This is the truth.
"Always a Red, never a Blue!!!"
(repeat)

BorisManUtd

Pep's really made them a machine. Yeah they've spent a lot but they also spent well (unlike Chelsea for example). Weird how Liverpool didn't win it on xG even in 2019/20 season when they had 99 points and City only had 81.

Red Star One

Pep's really made them a machine. Yeah they've spent a lot but they also spent well (unlike Chelsea for example). Weird how Liverpool didn't win it on xG even in 2019/20 season when they had 99 points and City only had 81.
He’s also won some 5 xChampions League xtrophies after xwinning those Lyon, Monaco, Spurs, Chelsea etc ties against way inferior teams.

Zen86

Remember how boring the PL was before City's money came and disrupted the old football autocracy. It's much more exciting now

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Remember how boring the PL was before City's money came and disrupted the old football autocracy. It's much more exciting now
More PL winners post City take over than before it

But I'm sure a Hull fan in 2001 and a Sunderland fan in 2021 would agree the league is similarly boring

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal

But I'm sure a Hull fan in 2001 and a Sunderland fan in 2021 would agree the league is similarly boring
Is that right?

BEFORE - United / Blackburn / Arsenal / Chelsea
AFTER - City / Leicester / Liverpool

Unless I missed anyone. Also, I don't think that either Leicester's miracle or Liverpool's slowest ever waking of a sleeping giant were aided by City's takeover.

acnumber9

Is that right?

Unless I missed anyone. Also, I don't think that either Leicester's miracle or Liverpool's slowest ever waking of a sleeping giant were aided by City's takeover.
I think he means there have been 5 different winners since rather teams winning it for the first time.

Oranges038

He’s also won some 5 xChampions League xtrophies after xwinning those Lyon, Monaco, Spurs, Chelsea etc ties against way inferior teams.
Teams should get bonus xg points for having a higher xg.

And an there should be xg goals rule in the 2 legged CL ties to replace the away goals rule.

That way the xg winners will be rewarded for not scoring goals.

Zen86

So you think the league is more unpredictable these last few years do you?

adexkola

Supports
Is that right?

You missed United and Chelsea in the after (2008 was the takeover). So 4 to 5.

I don't think they were aided by the takeover, but I was just using number of PL winners as a proxy for league "excitement" (it's a shitty proxy but whatever).

So you think the league is more unpredictable these last few years do you?
Is the league more unpredictable in 2001 or 2022? I don't know honestly. I don't think fans of clubs outside the big 4/big 6 feel there's any difference. Has been boring since 92, the only difference is the team causing the boredom

Scaring Europe to Death

Supports
Manchester City
All things come to an end, and City will soon have 4 influential players (Walker, De Bruyne, Gundogan, Mahrez) in the 32/33 age category, plus Laporte and Bernardo Silva rumoured to be leaving.

Most of Pep's new signings take a full season to adapt, but I suspect that Kalvin Phillips will prove to be the fat, injury prone, exception who doesn't make it.

The Cancelo issue won't go away so I expect a large turnover in the summer, especially as despite all the contrary media bollocks, City's Squad isn't actually that big.

USREDEVIL

All things come to an end, and City will soon have 4 influential players (Walker, De Bruyne, Gundogan, Mahrez) in the 32/33 age category, plus Laporte and Bernardo Silva rumoured to be leaving.

Most of Pep's new signings take a full season to adapt, but I suspect that Kalvin Phillips will prove to be the fat, injury prone, exception who doesn't make it.

The Cancelo issue won't go away so I expect a large turnover in the summer, especially as despite all the contrary media bollocks, City's Squad isn't actually that big.
The pep era coming to a close.
you love to see it

Zen86

You missed United and Chelsea in the after (2008 was the takeover). So 4 to 5.

I don't think they were aided by the takeover, but I was just using number of PL winners as a proxy for league "excitement" (it's a shitty proxy but whatever).

Is the league more unpredictable in 2001 or 2022? I don't know honestly. I don't think fans of clubs outside the big 4/big 6 feel there's any difference. Has been boring since 92, the only difference is the team causing the boredom
It’s quite clearly more predictable now. The PL will be largely dominated by City and Newcastle for the foreseeable future. It’s not great teams or great managers that will do this, it’s the disparity in wealth far beyond anything we’ve had in football before. Not that I would expect a City fan to agree.

adexkola

Supports
It’s quite clearly more predictable now. The PL will be largely dominated by City and Newcastle for the foreseeable future. It’s not great teams or great managers that will do this, it’s the disparity in wealth far beyond anything we’ve had in football before. Not that I would expect a City fan to agree.
You may be right but I'd argue that isn't your issue as a United fan.

This United fan has all been for neutering the influence of money in the game. From squad caps to punitive spending taxes... A team like Brighton should be able to challenge for titles. Most fans of big clubs aren't interested in such changes to the game, preferring instead to return the game to how it was in 2003. I wonder why.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.

Not for city they won't. The succession planning at the club is unreal. The likes of aguero, kompany, David Silva, Fernandno all left yet city carried on like the machine they are. The only thing that might stop city is if these FA charges stick and they get a relegated. Otherwise, even pep leaving won't make much of a difference.

caid

This United fan has all been for neutering the influence of money in the game. From squad caps to punitive spending taxes... A team like Brighton should be able to challenge for titles. Most fans of big clubs aren't interested in such changes to the game, preferring instead to return the game to how it was in 2003. I wonder why.
Sounds good to me to be honest. I dont see that kind of leveling of the playing field coming in one swoop though and a return to 2003 feels like it'd be a step in the right direction. The agenda behind suggesting that isn't especially important if it serves its purpose.

jm99

I don't know, Chelsea can quite clearly keep pace with the other two, they've just spent badly, and if we clear the debt, no matter who the owners are we should manage too

Zen86

No, that’s just the usual holier than thou pretence that you insist on spamming in every City thread.

Zen86

I don't know, Chelsea can quite clearly keep pace with the other two, they've just spent badly, and if we clear the debt, no matter who the owners are we should manage too
Nah, I reckon they’ve fecked it. They’ve seemingly got a lunatic at the helm whose spent very badly with a lot of long-term contracts and creative accounting.

DON’T PANIC ™

Seen on twitter a post likening City’s dominance in the league to Lance Armstrong at Le Tour De France.
It’s a very good analogy imo

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City

Laporte has been a footnote this season, Mahrez for all his talent isn't a regular. Same for Walker, Gundogan, Foden and Silva. De Bruyne, Rodri, Dias and Ederson (for his passing ability) are the spine of this team with the former being an absolute headache to replace. But as long as Pep is there, no one will win the league without +90 points.

jm99

Nah, I reckon they’ve fecked it. They’ve seemingly got a lunatic at the helm whose spent very badly with a lot of long-term contracts and creative accounting.
But they do seem to have similar kind of financial might to the other 2

NLunited

Pep‘s success at City will always feel like it is tainted. Regardless, he has done a fabulous job. Would like to see him manage a poor team but that won‘t happen.

berbasloth4

It’s crazy how in all is teams he gets players to change their styles and buy into the quick and high press. Even grealish now doing.

I might get clobbered for this but even in that great Barca side and the same up to this city side I have always thought if somehow you can get the ball and beat that high press there defences can be easily got at but it rarely happens and you can see if with some the selections and formations he chooses.

NLunited

It’s crazy how in all is teams he gets players to change their styles and buy into the quick and high press. Even grealish now doing.

I might get clobbered for this but even in that great Barca side and the same up to this city side I have always thought if somehow you can get the ball and beat that high press there defences can be easily got at but it rarely happens and you can see if with some the selections and formations he chooses.
You realize he has only coached absolute top teams that already played high press.

I would be more impressed if he did it with Everton.