'Pep' Guardiola sack watch

Pep's Suit

Serious question but how far away would you say we are. For me the backline is probably the best its ever been if Cancelo continues to excel at LB. I think a replacement for Kun/Jesus and maybe Rodri and we'd be right back where we were. For arguments sake Haaland and Kante (obviously a pipe dream) but thats literally how close we are imho. United and Spurs have improved more than we've regressed

For arguments sake.

Ederson
Walker (would likely need replacing)
Dias
Laporte/Stones/Ake
Cancelo/Mendy
DM
KDB
Gundo/Bernardo/Foden
Mahrez/Bernardo/Foden
ST / Jesus
Sterling/Foden

Whoever takes over couldn't ask for a squad that needs much less work. At most a LB or RB a dm and a striker. Given Cities budget something like Hernandez, Haaland and someone like Ndidi and they are almost there.
This summer or two years from now? I think Pep will sign LB, DM and ST this summer buuuut I'd move Mahrez, Bernardo, Gundogan, Rodri and Mendy as well.

RashyForPM

Gracious comments from Guardiola, hence why people generally like him more than that bitter and defensive Portuguese manager, and I’m not talking about Nuno.

cyberman

Gracious comments from Guardiola, hence why people generally like him more than that bitter and defensive Portuguese manager, and I’m not talking about Nuno.
He famously hates mind games. Jose had Barca under pressure with that shit before a CL semi final. Pep lost his rag in the presser which had Barca players applauding him while watching on TV and lifted all the pressure from them.
Jose was made to look ridiculous.

He said more than "hey". Sitting down in the press room at the Santiago Bernabéu, he said: "As Mourinho has spoken so candidly about me and spoken about me by name, and using tú [the informal form of you], then I will do the same." He then asked which of the gathered cameras was "Mourinho's camera" and began.

"Tomorrow at 8.45 we will play a match on the field," Guardiola said. " Outside of the field, he has won the entire year, the entire season and in the future [it will be the same]. He can have his personal Champions League outside the field. Fine. Let him enjoy it, I'll give him that. But this is a game. When it comes to sport we will play and sometimes we will win, sometimes we will lose. We are happy with smaller victories, trying to get the world to admire us and we are very proud of this.

RashyForPM

He famously hates mind games. Jose had Barca under pressure with that shit before a CL semi final. Pep lost his rag in the presser which had Barca players applauding him while watching on TV and lifted all the pressure from them.
Jose was made to look ridiculous.

He said more than "hey". Sitting down in the press room at the Santiago Bernabéu, he said: "As Mourinho has spoken so candidly about me and spoken about me by name, and using tú [the informal form of you], then I will do the same." He then asked which of the gathered cameras was "Mourinho's camera" and began.

"Tomorrow at 8.45 we will play a match on the field," Guardiola said. " Outside of the field, he has won the entire year, the entire season and in the future [it will be the same]. He can have his personal Champions League outside the field. Fine. Let him enjoy it, I'll give him that. But this is a game. When it comes to sport we will play and sometimes we will win, sometimes we will lose. We are happy with smaller victories, trying to get the world to admire us and we are very proud of this.
And since then, it’s been all downhill for Mourinho’s career. He keeps having digs at Bruno, but Bruno is the type to use that to good effect and single-handedly hammer Spurs the next few times we play. Let’s hope the Carabao Cup final is one of those times.

arthurka

Pep might be this and that but he is most of the time very generous towards his competition when he feels that it's earned. He has said many times that he likes what Ole is doing and always said Utd have a strong squad. He has also always spoken highly of Klopp and his work. Love him or loath him he is mostly likeable towards his competitors. Mourinho just brings out the worst in most people, glad that Ole has never taken his bait.

AshRK

Pep is a smart manager. He knows how to play the media, which in itself is an art. Klopp, Jose don't know how to do that. But Pep is also a sore loser on his day. He just does it in a better way than Klopp.or Jose.

RashyForPM

Pep is a smart manager. He knows how to play the media, which in itself is an art. Klopp, Jose don't know how to do that. But Pep is also a sore loser on his day. He just does it in a better way than Klopp.or Jose.
Yeah. Losing with dignity generally goes down better with your players and fans instead of blaming anything but yourself.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Liverpool and United are so focused on each other, yet City is looking better than both at the moment.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
Wait?! Why is Guardiola's sack watch thread bumped when he is top of the league??

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
And what about the (longer) run that United are on?
Ah, United supporter, explains it then.

No, i dont find your team more impressive at the moment, understood?
And what do you even mean by "longer"? City has 5 wins in their last 5, you got 2 draws in your last 5(yes i know, Anfield bla bla bla).

cyberman

Ah, United supporter, explains it then.

No, i dont find your team more impressive at the moment, understood?
And what do you even mean by "longer"? City has 5 wins in their last 5, you got 2 draws in your last 5(yes i know, Anfield bla bla bla).
Does findng a Utd supporter on Redcafe surprise you?

432JuanMata

Mad how much 2/3 months is in football considering people here where saying he could be sacked. Domestically he has been untouchable over the last few years. Yes he has near a unlimited budget but over the last 4 years he has made the supposedly hardest league in the world look easy winning titles/cups.

He has been a success no matter what but he needs to back it up in the CL. I understand him and SAF scenarios are so different and he has been given mostly all the resources but I feel he is close to SAF, he is one of the best managers I’ve ever seen.

Dr. StrangeHate

Mad how much 2/3 months is in football considering people here where saying he could be sacked. Domestically he has been untouchable over the last few years. Yes he has near a unlimited budget but over the last 4 years he has made the supposedly hardest league in the world look easy winning titles/cups.

He has been a success no matter what but he needs to back it up in the CL. I understand him and SAF scenarios are so different and he has been given mostly all the resources but I feel he is close to SAF, he is one of the best managers I’ve ever seen.
This bump had me excited that he had decided to leave. Damn you Sir. He may be not the best manager ever but his football atleast is the best I have ever seen.

432JuanMata

This bump had me excited that he had decided to leave. Damn you Sir. He may be not the best manager ever but his football atleast is the best I have ever seen.
I’m sorry :(. Yeah that is why I said one of the best. I know he has to spend big and have top players but he gets the players that suit his style and he maximises them.

SER19

832m spent at City.

Sorry but give klopp that at Liverpool, solskjaer that at United, even ancelotti that at Everton. Having already had sterling de Bruyne Silva fernandinho and Aguero. I genuinely believe each would do as much as guardiola has at City. That list could go on too. All his success comes with that caveat

Dr. StrangeHate

832m spent at City.

Sorry but give klopp that at Liverpool, solskjaer that at United, even ancelotti that at Everton. Having already had sterling de Bruyne Silva fernandinho and Aguero. I genuinely believe each would do as much as guardiola has at City. That list could go on too. All his success comes with that caveat
They might win sure but would they win as beautifully.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
More so depending on the style of football one is into I suppose
Exactly. I found Zidane's Madrid when they won all them CL's with prime Ronaldo and even Mourinho's Madrid more entertaining to watch than Pep's Barca. Heynckes Bayern were more fun than Pep's Bayern foe me as well. I find Pep's possession based football boring.

SER19

Exactly. I found Zidane's Madrid when they won all them CL's with prime Ronaldo and even Mourinho's Madrid more entertaining to watch than Pep's Barca. Heynckes Bayern were more fun than Pep's Bayern foe me as well. I find Pep's possession based football boring.
They played some really nice stuff during that 100pt season but broadly agree. Take the joy of Messi out of barca side and they were a tough watch. Bayern fans supposedly mostly hated it and overall I find city a chore to watch this year.

432JuanMata

I respect your opinion but I will never agree with that. You can say it’s the players or Peak Messi,Iniesta,Xavi and Busquets but no team touched them or played as beautiful as them. As I said it’s down to opinion but I feel as time goes on this side gets underrated they were the best I’ve ever seen

Josep Dowling

I’m not a huge fan of Pep’s style of football. There is no enjoyment in watching one sided games where 70% possessions is from one team. I admire that he has managed to achieve that in football but personally I would not describe it as beautiful.

And there is a lot of dark arts football with their defensive work. The constant fouling on any counter against them never get punished by the referees. It slows play for the opposition and Pep’s side can get back into defensive shape. Fernandinho should probably be sent off every game for what he does.

Pep's Suit

Let's be honest here: if Pep spent 800M and then was waiting for counters and quick transitions you'd be saying "ohh so much money spent and he has no control over games... Eddie Howe can do this for 1/20 of money...".

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
832m spent at City.

Very selective though isn’t it - we’ve spent around 830m in the last 5 years but we’ve also sold 320m. You can’t include the purchase of Danilo and Cancelo to suit you when the sale of one was then used to acquire the other.

Comparatively United have spent 610m and sold
230m in the same timeframe, so actually net there’s only about 100m difference, and the difference between the two performance and silverware wise far exceeds the difference in spending.

My view on Pep has always been the same - he needs a lot of money to achieve what he does, but if he has it, there’s no manager more effective at getting excellent players to play excellent football. For any “rich” club, he’s as good as there is - I would heavily dispute that Solskjaer and Ancelotti could replicate that at Everton and United. Good players cost 50m+ a pop, and excellent players double that.

I think what Klopp has done with the Liverpool team given how much he’s had to spend is a very impressive achievement, which is why he also gets a lot of deserved praise. I think if you were a club with a decent budget but not a huge one, going for Klopp could well prove more fruitful.

Last edited:

Dr. StrangeHate

Very selective though isn’t it - we’ve spent around 830m in the last 5 years but we’ve also sold 320m. You can’t include the purchase of Danilo and Cancelo to suit you when the sale of one was then used to acquire the other.

230m in the same timeframe, so actually net there’s only about 100m difference, and the difference between the two performance and silverware wise far exceeds the difference in spending.

My view on Pep has always been the same - he needs a lot of money to achieve what he does, but if he has it, there’s no manager more effective at getting excellent players to play excellent football. For any “rich” club, he’s as good as there is - I would heavily dispute that Solskjaer and Ancelotti could replicate that at Everton and United. Good players cost 50m+ a pop, and excellent players double that.

I think what Klopp has done with the Liverpool team given how much he’s had to spend is a very impressive achievement, which is why he also gets a lot of deserved praise. I think if you were a good with a decent budget but not a huge one, going for Klopp could well prove more fruitful.
That is Pep in a nutshell. If you want to create a team that plays the best football in the world and win you get in Pep and give him a blank cheque book. If you want to win on a budget (comparatively) you get Klopp, Simeone, can't think of anyone else.

Last edited:

Judas

Open to offers
I prefer watching Pep's City when it was at its best than his often tedious and honestly quite boring Barca team. Clinically good to the point where it just wasn't that fun to watch.

But in general Pep's style is just not for me. I don't really get how its beautiful football, it's not what I want to see.

SER19

I think what Klopp has done with the Liverpool team given how much he’s had to spend is a very impressive achievement, which is why he also gets a lot of deserved praise. I think if you were a good with a decent budget but not a huge one, going for Klopp could well prove more fruitful.
I don't know why every time this gets mentioned city fans so defensively rush to talk about United. United have absolutely pissed money away on rubbish and the club should be ashamed of their approach pre solskjaer. Solskjaer has spent 300m at United, and from where they were when he took over, I would say has delivered according to it. If we see him over another 530m later I would expect at least one title. What I'm saying is that no one manager and no one club has ever spent like him. I imagine that if most managers at most top clubs got that sort of money having already had a spine of a team in place they'd do incredibly well.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
I don’t get the thread title tbh.

Why is it ‘Pep’ Guardiola but not ‘Jupp’ Heynckes, ‘Louis’ van Gaal or Sir ‘Alex’ Ferguson?

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Let's be honest here: if Pep spent 800M and then was waiting for counters and quick transitions you'd be saying "ohh so much money spent and he has no control over games... Eddie Howe can do this for 1/20 of money...".
£800m spent and still no CL wins, but that doesn't matter because they get 70% possession in league games. City barely control games in Europe and haven't looked like winning it. If Mancini or Pellegrini stayed and spent £800m I am sure they would have won the domestic titles Pep has.

NO CL win since Messi, Xavi, Iniesta and co and has spent over £1 billion at City and Bayern combined.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
I respect your opinion but I will never agree with that. You can say it’s the players or Peak Messi,Iniesta,Xavi and Busquets but no team touched them or played as beautiful as them. As I said it’s down to opinion but I feel as time goes on this side gets underrated they were the best I’ve ever seen
Not being able to get near them doesn't mean the football was beautiful. It was boring pass, pass, pass for 60% of every game. I prefer swashbuckling, fast, direct football, such as SAF's United in 2008 for example.