'Pep' Guardiola sack watch

mu4c_20le

Would love it if Leicester Chelsea nd Spurs continue their momentum and boot city out of the top 4.

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
1. Loss of Laporte, Sane, Zinchenko. De Bruyne was out for a bit too.
2. Father time catching up to Silva the Elder
3. Otamendi falling out of form
4. Midfield being imbalanced due to lack of Fernandinho at base, Rodri still getting used to system

Those come to mind immediately.
Injury this season hasn't been kind to them add Aguero to that list too and Ederson miss the Liverpool game also. Sane would've probably been a Bayern player imo another mishandling from Pep for putting him on the bench, Mahrez is good, but doesn't offer what Sane did, this was his chance and he hasn't been all that.

D. Silva is on Pep and City head imo. He was done last season they should've let him go and started giving his spot to B. Silva, instead the typical sentimental bull crap probably kicked in and he'll be a liability now. This game in particularly should've had B. Silva starting so that's on Pep.

Gundo is another issue, while a quality player if they're over the foreign player policy they should've cashed in on him and bought in another CB this summer, but due to some bromance between him and Pep they didn't, at the end losing Gundo gaining a CB and rotating between Rodri/Ferna in mid would've been better.

Pep needs to give Gracia (he was highly rated in Barcelona, reason why City got him) a chance instead of being a tit about it maybe he'll have a similar impact Gomez did last season, I mean he can't be an worse then what they got now.

Alabaster Codify7

I think he's gone in the summer, mutual consent - he'll be managing PSG or Juventus next season. He has no fight in him, Klopp's embarrassed him this season and he won't come back for more.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Record this record that. Does anyone really care about records? It’s the trophies that count.
He was taken on at city to win the champions league. He had a great starting team and spent his own millions and done the same as previous city managers. I just don’t think that’s terrific
Yup, he's definitely failed on the trophies count.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
I don't know how people can come to this conclusion. You have to be mental to think that City are going to pull the trigger. Ain't gonna happen. Pep will leave on his own terms when he doesn't feel that he can more out his team anymore.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I don't know how people can come to this conclusion. You have to be mental to think that City are going to pull the trigger. Ain't gonna happen.
Yep. City believe that having Pep as their manager is such a coup that they put his photo on their (online) team-sheets.

Classical Mechanic

I don't know how people can come to this conclusion. You have to be mental to think that City are going to pull the trigger. Ain't gonna happen. Pep will leave on his own terms when he doesn't feel that he can more out his team anymore.
A sack watch thread is made to track an underperforming manager. He’ll walk before he’s sacked I agree with you on that but if it will really be on his own terms is a different matter. He’ll leave before his reputation can take any real damage.

The xPts table actually has City as clear leaders so an uptick in form wouldn’t be a surprise.

el3mel

Oh come on. They will never sack him. They have been wanting him there for ever. The only he's leaving is if he decides to go on his own.

dove

He is not getting sacked FFS :lol: However I can see him leaving relatively soon for another sabbatical.

0le

He isn't getting sacked. He has done a good job and injuries have derailed City a little bit.

adexkola

Supports
Injury this season hasn't been kind to them add Aguero to that list too and Ederson miss the Liverpool game also. Sane would've probably been a Bayern player imo another mishandling from Pep for putting him on the bench, Mahrez is good, but doesn't offer what Sane did, this was his chance and he hasn't been all that.

D. Silva is on Pep and City head imo. He was done last season they should've let him go and started giving his spot to B. Silva, instead the typical sentimental bull crap probably kicked in and he'll be a liability now. This game in particularly should've had B. Silva starting so that's on Pep.

Gundo is another issue, while a quality player if they're over the foreign player policy they should've cashed in on him and bought in another CB this summer, but due to some bromance between him and Pep they didn't, at the end losing Gundo gaining a CB and rotating between Rodri/Ferna in mid would've been better.

Pep needs to give Gracia (he was highly rated in Barcelona, reason why City got him) a chance instead of being a tit about it maybe he'll have a similar impact Gomez did last season, I mean he can't be an worse then what they got now.
To be fair, B Silva last year played predominantly as a winger where he rightly started over Sane. Otherwise I agree with you on all points.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
He has done a good job and injuries have derailed City a little bit.
Yeah, they're a bitch. Tend to vary - in terms of impact - from season to season too.

But according to some, they're no excuse. An "elite" manager should be able to deal with them.

To be clear, I'm being sarcastic on the whole, before anyone jumps in. It's feckin' obvious that what players you have available at any given time is somewhat relevant to how well you "perform" as a manager. And the idea that a manager - any manager - "performs", like an individual player, in isolated matches (by virtue of being a master tactician - or the opposite) is laughable in itself.

GlasgowCeltic

For the second time in his career he will walk away in the face of a real challenge

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Without any doubt he's nearer the end then the start of his City spell.
If they somehow managed to win in Europe I think he'd definitely be off then.

Not sure he's got the stomach for a fair old rebuild. Defence needs boosting, D Silva is a huge player to replace, Aguero moving on in age, with Jesus not a shade on him.
We need Klopp to disappear off too, or they could dominate for a few years.

HJ12

Here's a thread title I thought I'd never see. Last I saw City were still second?

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Im pretty sure i read here that Pep's style of management is quite draining on the players, so his teams start to regress after a while because the players are burnt out or whatever
Himself being burnt out included. If you watch the amazon documentary, all or nothing you can see why. The fella thinks tactics in his sleep. How draining that must be.

Tbh I can see the same happening at Liverpool when they finally win the title. Klopps another nutcase that demands 100% every second. No detail too small. Nobody can keep that up for a sustained period of time.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Himself being burnt out included. If you watch the amazon documentary, all or nothing you can see why. The fella thinks tactics in his sleep. How draining that must be.

Tbh I can see the same happening at Liverpool when they finally win the title. Klopps another nutcase that demands 100% every second. No detail too small. Nobody can keep that up for a sustained period of time.
Didn't a journalist write that our "Long term" approach was taken as we knew there was no chance of bettering either team until those two managers have gone?

I thought at the time that was breathtakingly ridiculous, to presume that they get dud replacements, or other clubs don't take their place.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
2 prems in 4 years and no champions league. Is that any better than the previous city managers? Not that terrific
2 premier league's in 4 years is a terrific return. They've won domestic cups too. You do realise that we as a football club have won 3 CLs in our entire history right? SAF won 2 over a 20 plus tenure. Expecting a manager to have to win one within 3 years is daft.

As someone else pointed out, was Mourinho's two league titles in three years at Chelsea not good enough? Of course not. Suggesting so would be idiotic.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
His interviews will become as toxic as Mourinho at his worst and the media will turn on him because of it.

cyberman

Defensive injuries arent an excuse, they have almost 200m worth of defenders on the bench ffs.
Everyone of their problems could have been forseen but they bought poorly and here we are. Its on Pep and thats that.
Even then they should be doing a lot better than they are. Its only Laporte thats really out, all other injuries are injuries you would expect througout a season.
Hes looking more and more like a short stay manager as his career progresses.

GlasgowCeltic

If the league was the target they wouldn’t have started squad building for Pep before he even arrived and sacked league winning managers. They’ve not come close to the CL.

adexkola

Supports
Yeah, they're a bitch. Tend to vary - in terms of impact - from season to season too.

But according to some, they're no excuse. An "elite" manager should be able to deal with them.

To be clear, I'm being sarcastic on the whole, before anyone jumps in. It's feckin' obvious that what players you have available at any given time is somewhat relevant to how well you "perform" as a manager. And the idea that a manager - any manager - "performs", like an individual player, in isolated matches (by virtue of being a master tactician - or the opposite) is laughable in itself.
Well managing is like playing FIFA. Sometimes you just have to find a way.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
2 premier league's in 4 years is a terrific return. They've won domestic cups too. You do realise that we as a football club have won 3 CLs in our entire history right? SAF won 2 over a 20 plus tenure. Expecting a manager to have to win one within 3 years is daft.

As someone else pointed out, was Mourinho's two league titles in three years at Chelsea not good enough? Of course not. Suggesting so would be idiotic.
City were already winning premier leagues before pep, that’s not like mou at Chelsea.

they also won those premier leagues while every other big team were not even challenging, the one when Liverpool challenged it was close.

and yes I do realise how many we have won, whatever. using words like daft and idiotic it’s hard to converse with you But if it helps your point so be it

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Didn't a journalist write that our "Long term" approach was taken as we knew there was no chance of bettering either team until those two managers have gone?

I thought at the time that was breathtakingly ridiculous, to presume that they get dud replacements, or other clubs don't take their place.
Haven't heard that one tbh but I wouldn't read too much into it. This long term plan is like a fail safe switch for when things inevitably go tits up. Whoever is the Glazers PR chief certainly deserves a hefty Xmas bonus for thinking that one up.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Haven't heard that one tbh but I wouldn't read too much into it. This long term plan is like a fail safe switch for when things inevitably go tits up. Whoever is the Glazers PR chief certainly deserves a hefty Xmas bonus for thinking that one up.
There's been a lot of stories put out about how we do things the right way, when all evidence suggests otherwise.

Thta story about how we'd analysed 700 players or something was the best one. Then ended up buying the highest priced, super well known 2 defenders from our own league!

SATA

Can we have him after we dismiss Ole in the summer? United can offer him the highest paid manager in the world in the history of football

RoyH1

Don't think City would fire him. The whole setup revolves around him and he's a one man PR army for Abu Dhabi. While being bested by Liverpool is obviously not ideal, it's not like he's languishing mid table. It's also a relative stressfree job. Not the same kind of media pressure as you have in Bayern or Barsa.

I see him going into politics in his native Catalonia at some point.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
There's been a lot of stories put out about how we do things the right way, when all evidence suggests otherwise.

Thta story about how we'd analysed 700 players or something was the best one. Then ended up buying the highest priced, super well known 2 defenders from our own league!
Ironic isn't it? I heard we're moving into the 21st century and are now using opta to analyse future transfers. It can supposedly tell the club if the player can eat pasta before a game or the % rate of the chances of him being homesick or warning that he can only last 79 minutes and 38 seconds each game. Call me old fashioned but what a load of bollox:D

I can see the club going down that route so when any of our future transfers fail they'll blame it on the new system. One thing I can say about our club is that they're becoming very professional in deflecting the blame instead of holding their hands up and actually addressing the issues.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Sabbatical and then the Juventus job in 2021ish, I reckon.

Ludens the Red

Would be insane to sack him although he’s been crap this season.
- not replacing Kompany, how can you go into a full season with three senior centre backs on the book.
- constant obsession with David Silva and Gundogan in midfield, they don’t have the legs anymore to press. They get bypassed a lot.
- I don’t know why Foden hasn’t been given a chance considering the form of the above mentioned two.
- Bernardo Silva played a central role for a good chunk of last season when De Bruyne was out, not sure what the reluctance to use him there this season is.
- Fernandinho centre back, now Pep keeps saying he’s been amazing there but he definitely hasn’t been.

cyberman

2 in 4 is around what they had pre Pep. They just ended up with the same success rate minus a billion pounds.