'Pep' Guardiola sack watch

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
No, i admit he faced a challenge and won for pretty much the first time in his entire career. Every other time he's failed or walked away.
Madrid were a top 3 world side in 2010-11, managed by a younger Mourinho, finished 4 points behind Barcelona. Actually the Madrid of the season before (managed by Pellegrini) also finished 3 points behind Barcelona.

It almost begs the question of what a challenge in football actually is. My cynical self expects an answer that conveniently casts Pep as a manager that's coasted his entire career, but maybe I'm wrong on that

Treble

Guardiola is more likely to extend his contract than leave. Obviously, he won't be sacked. They can still have a great season.

The reason why he might extend his contract is that no other club could provide better work conditions for him. Begiristain and Soriano are friends of his.

Last edited:

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
It is so funny seeing "Pep sack watch" thread at the top of the Caf.
Can we have "Klopp sack watch" too?
You never know.. might work.

Madrid were a top 3 world side in 2010-11, managed by a younger Mourinho, finished 4 points behind Barcelona. Actually the Madrid of the season before (managed by Pellegrini) also finished 3 points behind Barcelona.

It almost begs the question of what a challenge in football actually is. My cynical self expects an answer that conveniently casts Pep as a manager that's coasted his entire career, but maybe I'm wrong on that
Madrid were still finishing their rebuilding following the Galactico era. They weren't quite there. The following season they cracked it, beat Barcelona, and Guardiola walked. If he does the same again at City....

adexkola

Supports
Madrid were still finishing their rebuilding following the Galactico era. They weren't quite there. The following season they cracked it, beat Barcelona, and Guardiola walked. If he does the same again at City....
They were not rebuilding in 2010-11. That was a team with the best or second best player in the world, going all out to win both major trophies. Their reaction to a defeat by Gijon (https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2011/apr/04/jose-mourinho-madrid-la-liga) does not suggest they were in rebuilding mode. If they were, then it was a short peak at the top (judging by how they shat the bed the season after their title win). I'm sure Madrid fans can confirm.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
We weren't rebuilding anything, the rebuild happened the summer before. We got 96 and 92 points in the league in those two seasons, beat them in the cup final and in 10/11 we were by far the second best team in the world and an all time great side in general

Come on now

He did crack under the pressure, mind. Though that would have happened regardless of us i think. Being coach of barcelona or real madrid is like living inside a pressure cooker. There's a reason coaches lasting more than 3 seasons there are a rarity

Classical Mechanic

Chance for Leicester to put 6 points between them and Pep tomorrow. Out of respect I'll change the title from 'Ped' to 'Pep' because they're clearly taking a different approach to performance science this season.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Definitely shaping up to be his last season.

Doesn't strike me as being a fighter type.

Time for a move to the richest/most dominant team in another league probably. PSG or Juventus have to be on his radar.

izec

Yep, if they crash out of the CL, which they will do at some point, he will be done. Either spend a lot of cash in the summer for a last try, or leave. I think he will leave personally if they dont improve, they are almost as weak as in his first season currently. Injuries are piling up as well. His 'methods' are coming to an end

Ivor Ballokov

In his first season he was a right mardy twat because they were underachieving, the last few years he's been in media darling mode because things have been going well, today's post match interview showed some signs of a return to the former.

It'll be interesting to see if the media turn on him what with Klopp and Lampard being the current darlings.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Klopp has handed him the ultimate chance to remove any lingering doubts over how good he is but I expect him to make his excuses and run away from that challenge in the summer. If he gets the chance to run away, that is. He could decide to Mourinho the feck out of the place over the coming months.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Definitely shaping up to be his last season.

Doesn't strike me as being a fighter type.

Time for a move to the richest/most dominant team in another league probably. PSG or Juventus have to be on his radar.
I agree. Has he ever rebuilt a team? City need a refresh in each department. IMO They need 3 parts of a back four, replacements for Fernandinho and David Silva and a new matchwinner like Aguero. I don't see him wanting to be a part of that. He'll go win a couple of easy titles in another league, most likely.

adexkola

Supports
Klopp has handed him the ultimate chance to remove any lingering doubts over how good he is but I expect him to make his excuses and run away from that challenge in the summer. If he gets the chance to run away, that is. He could decide to Mourinho the feck out of the place over the coming months.
The only lingering doubts are on internet forums

If he leaves he'll be able to walk into any top vacancy

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
It appears all the money in the world can't buy you heart. Messi, Xavi and Iniesta aside, this guy would be consider no better than Conte or the likes. He lucked into having arguably two of the best midfielders in the world ever and arguably the best player in the world ever, hit their peak when he took over that Barcelona side. He didn't source these players or turn them into greats, he just set up a system that complimented their ability, but truly great managers need more than that. Zlatan was right the whole time.

Outside of it, he has done three fifths of feck all to look anywhere near the top echelons of managers in the history of the game. He's never had to deal with being under resourced, he's picked and chose positions where he knows he'll have more money to spend than the opposition by a clear margin.

He's not fit to lace the boots of the other "great" in the stadium tonight and I hope he knows it.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I agree. Has he ever rebuilt a team? City need a refresh in each department. IMO They need 3 parts of a back four, replacements for Fernandinho and David Silva and a new matchwinner like Aguero. I don't see him wanting to be a part of that. He'll go win a couple of easy titles in another league, most likely.
This season has been a weird mix for them.
Criminal decision making, not bringing a top centre back in with figure head Kompany going.
Bad luck with injuries
Yet at times still looking like the best team drilling opponents.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It appears all the money in the world can't buy you heart. Messi, Xavi and Iniesta aside, this guy would be consider no better than Conte or the likes. He lucked into having arguably two of the best midfielders in the world ever and arguably the best player in the world ever, hit their peak when he took over that Barcelona side. He didn't source these players or turn them into greats, he just set up a system that complimented their ability, but truly great managers need more than that. Zlatan was right the whole time.

Outside of it, he has done three fifths of feck all to look anywhere near the top echelons of managers in the history of the game. He's never had to deal with being under resourced, he's picked and chose positions where he knows he'll have more money to spend than the opposition by a clear margin.

He's not fit to lace the boots of the other "great" in the stadium tonight and I hope he knows it.
He's won the league in 3 different countries mate.
That still takes some doing, even if he has been blessed as you rightly say.

But if it was that easy, everyone would do it.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
They have the investigation looming over them too, so all In all it does look a good time to go.

If they somehow turn things round and win the euro cup, absolutely no doubt, but even without that he can leave knowing he's done a good job with the back to back titles.
Man City looks wrong on his cv though. World class historical teams like Barcelona and Bayern, then City.

Paul_Scholes18

He is a great manager for attacking football. Although not as good at defending. The squad is also getting old. They could need a younger Silva in midfield and a new striker for Aguero.

cyberman

The only lingering doubts are on internet forums

If he leaves he'll be able to walk into any top vacancy
Of course. No better man to batter lesser sides than Pep.
Hjs style is getting dangerously close to becoming out of date v the top sides so he needs a move on.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
He's won the league in 3 different countries mate.
That still takes some doing, even if he has been blessed as you rightly say.

But if it was that easy, everyone would do it.
Means feck all to me when you effectively play with unlimited funds or players of the ilk. What im saying is that he's never stretched himself or gone outside of his comfort zone to achieving anything and that to me is not the sign of a great manager. Effectively, he's never built anything.

Noting that Ancelotti and Mourinho both have the three league titles worth having.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Means feck all to me when you effectively play with unlimited funds or players of the ilk. What im saying is that he's never stretched himself or gone outside of his comfort zone to achieving anything and that to me is not the sign of a great manager. Effectively, he's never built anything.

Noting that Ancelotti and Mourinho both have the three league titles worth having.
Don't get me wrong, i'm no Pep lover, and I dislike Barcelona and their old style of play too.

But to dismiss Pep is pretty ludicrous. He's brought a style of play in that absolutely annihilated opponents for two seasons, that no one at City managed before.
Klopp's gang have risen to the challenge amazingly, so he's not had it all his own way this year.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
It goes to show even the greatest managers have problems when they have injuries in key areas. City might well drop more points if they have to spend December with Fernandinho and Otamendi in defence.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

:lol:

Eddy_JukeZ

I think it'll be his last season at City.

Wonder where he goes afterwards though.

Bobski

I think it needs to be tweaked for sure.
I am amazed that he continues to leave his team so open to the counter, been his downfall when it really matters since the Bayern days. It can hardly have been a suprise to him that Utd would sit and break with all that pace up front.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I think it'll be his last season at City.

Wonder where he goes afterwards though.
Yep its hard to imagine him still being there after his side has put up such a weak title defence

Maybe back to Barca?

Oldyella

Cant see them sacking him but they won't need to. He will walk away now things are getting tough.

Eddy_JukeZ

Yep its hard to imagine him still being there after his side has put up such a weak title defence

Maybe back to Barca?
He doesn't get along with the current board at Barcelona.

Doubt it.

Might take another sabbatical.