'Pep' Guardiola sack watch

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Pretty sure Pool fans would have said the same thing when we won our 8th title in 1993. We have to return, sooner rather than later.
Well luckily there's very little chance of it happening.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Sack watch is a silly title, but "doesn't have the fight in him so resigns and runs away" watch might well be accurate

romufc

This is their second so can see them dropping off next season. People talking about them dominating for years won't happen.

Look at Madrid dominated for 3 years when everyone thought that team will dominate for some while.

Everyone was saying this could be the best ever PL squad when CIty were dominating.

Teams drop off, Chelsea, CIty, Utd all know about this from Title winning seasons.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Look at Madrid dominated for 3 years when everyone thought that team will dominate for some while.

Everyone was saying this could be the best ever PL squad when CIty were dominating.

Teams drop off, Chelsea, CIty, Utd all know about this from Title winning seasons.
Off course. Still we had people saying the same about Chelsea in 2015, City last year, and Liverpool now. It won't happen.

VJ1762

Man City owners are worth about 600B dollars( estimated wealth). They could probably buy all the top 5 leagues in Europe and still have more than 100's of billions of dollars lying around. Pretty sure they will spend big in January (Koulibaly might be available) or in the summer to get back on track.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Hes not getting sacked. Hes still a major prestige, but he might walk away if he cant keep up with Klopp.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Hes not getting sacked. Hes still a major prestige, but he might walk away if he cant keep up with Klopp.
This is why I can’t really take it seriously when people put him up there with the really elite managers. I mean, what he’s done in the game is fantastic, and his City stint will rightly earn him a new level of respect. But he always seems to shirk challenges. Granted, he hasn’t actually left City yet but he does seem to throw his toys out of the pram at the first sign of adversity. If he doesn’t have a blank cheque and a free run at the title, he seems to take his ball and go home.

Compare that to Sir Alex for instance, who not only met but relished new challenges. Whether it was Liverpool, Blackburn, Arsenal, Chelsea or City. Each raised the bar and he met it before surpassing them and setting a new one. He knew that to be the best you’d had to beat the best. He did this for nearly 30 years, refreshing each team and even working under budgetary constraints to do so. Pep couldn’t even refresh his first Barca team without needing a lie down.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
This is why I can’t really take it seriously when people put him up there with the really elite managers. I mean, what he’s done in the game is fantastic, and his City stint will rightly earn him a new level of respect. But he always seems to shirk challenges. Granted, he hasn’t actually left City yet but he does seem to throw his toys out of the pram at the first sign of adversity. If he doesn’t have a blank cheque and a free run at the title, he seems to take his ball and go home.

Compare that to Sir Alex for instance, who not only met but relished new challenges. Whether it was Liverpool, Blackburn, Arsenal, Chelsea or City. Each raised the bar and he met it before surpassing them and setting a new one. He knew that to be the best you’d had to beat the best. He did this for nearly 30 years, refreshing each team and even working under budgetary constraints to do so. Pep couldn’t even refresh his first Barca team without needing a lie down.
Well we wont know he is walking yet, but his comments about being underdogs is pathetic, they spent unlimited money before him and even more with him. They have a axecellent squad. Fergie had dealt with injury crisis far worse than what pep is experincing and he was still challenging for the biggest titles. So i agree, Pep is one of the most succcesfull managers of all time, but he hasnt proven he can deal with adversity.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Imagine Barca getting Neymar and Pep in the summer. That would be a real force of nature. Arthur and de Jong are also perfectly suited for his style.

fergiesarmy1

Imagine Barca getting Neymar and Pep in the summer. That would be a real force of nature. Arthur and de Jong are also perfectly suited for his style.
It’s fantasy football though, any manager with those players can do good with a messi included

TheLiverBird

Imagine Man City with their squad getting Pep as manager

oh wait

RooneyLegend

They should probably sign Koulibaly if they have any intentions of competing for the CL. Him an Laporte when he comes back would be a formidable partnership at the back.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Imagine Man City with their squad getting Pep as manager

oh wait
See, one mediocre season after two years of astonishing football doesn't change my opinion on him. For me he's the best coach I've seen and in a very elite circle of managers. Most of you guys talking him down currently are simply being biased. Will never understand this mindset.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
They should probably sign Koulibaly if they have any intentions of competing for the CL. Him an Laporte when he comes back would be a formidable partnership at the back.
Got injured vs Parma and could be out for a long time

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City

Yeah, like last season when he had to win the last fourteen league games in a row to beat Liverpool to the title. Or in La Liga 09-10 when he beat a Real Madrid side that got 96 points, and then beat the same side with Mourinho in charge the season after. Classic Pep, shirking challenges.

Eddy_JukeZ

I highly doubt he goes back with their current board.

TheLiverBird

See, one mediocre season after two years of astonishing football doesn't change my opinion on him. For me he's the best coach I've seen and in a very elite circle of managers. Most of you guys talking him down currently are simply being biased. Will never understand this mindset.
I’m not talking him down mate

to me he is a genius, like well and truly, easily one of the greatest managers we’ll ever see

My comment was with regards to the mention of the thought of Pep going back to Barca with Naymar added to their too.....that doesn’t really make me go “ooooo wow” because he’s already at a club with just as good a squad as Barca’s and doing wonders, yes he’s not having a great season this one in the league, but what’s to say he won’t win all domestic cups and possibly champions league, that would make it another great season for him regardless to what happens in the league.

Can’t personally see them winning champions league like but ya never know, even scooping all domestic cups instead would still be not a bad season for them

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
The good thing about this is, after Guardiola it's hard to see them doing better without him. Even to replicate what He has done there itself is already a very hard task to do.

Same thing happened with Barca, Bayern (to a certain extent) but oh well They're shite atm anyway might as well include them.

JDoe

Supports
Bayern
The good thing about this is, after Guardiola it's hard to see them doing better without him. Even to replicate what He has done there itself is already a very hard task to do.

Same thing happened with Barca, Bayern (to a certain extent) but oh well They're shite atm anyway might as well include them.
I disagree. He did well at City but I could see most top class managers doing what he did (2 league titles in 4 years and rather underwhelming CL campaigns) if they were ready to invest as much as they did with Pep in charge. We (Bayern) had the best squad in our history whilst he was managing us (and at Bayern he definitely had nothing to do with developing those players) and I also would claim that most top class managers could have achieved or bettered what he did (again winning the league/cup and rather underwhelming CL campaigns).

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I disagree. He did well at City but I could see most top class managers doing what he did (2 league titles in 4 years and rather underwhelming CL campaigns) if they were ready to invest as much as they did with Pep in charge. We (Bayern) had the best squad in our history whilst he was managing us (and at Bayern he definitely had nothing to do with developing those players) and I also would claim that most top class managers could have achieved or bettered what he did (again winning the league/cup and rather underwhelming CL campaigns).
Fair, maybe not Bayern. But I can see City having the same situation as Barca did when Pep left. Sure since They have a very good squad already and the club is willing to invest, as you said any other good manager might be able to win trophies there (like Barca) but it'll be very hard to top what He's done at City - breaking records, battering team left and right in the Premier League. He elevated City's status, They were good before He came but nowhere this good.

There's simply no manager better than him at the moment (the amount of success, experience, tactical knowledge). Maybe Klopp but even that is arguable.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I’m not talking him down mate

to me he is a genius, like well and truly, easily one of the greatest managers we’ll ever see

My comment was with regards to the mention of the thought of Pep going back to Barca with Naymar added to their too.....that doesn’t really make me go “ooooo wow” because he’s already at a club with just as good a squad as Barca’s and doing wonders, yes he’s not having a great season this one in the league, but what’s to say he won’t win all domestic cups and possibly champions league, that would make it another great season for him regardless to what happens in the league.

Can’t personally see them winning champions league like but ya never know, even scooping all domestic cups instead would still be not a bad season for them

Ah, I see. Well, then I have to disagree. Messi and Neymar IMO are a level above every player City has, currently. Messi is in a tier of his own, Neymar shares the one below that with Hazard and maybe Salah and then there's the de Bruynes, Sterlings, Bernardo Silvas etc. Of course it's a truly great squad, no denying that, but a team featuring Messi and Neymar is a different story, especially if coached by Pep.

Also, when people talk about how Guardiola has such a great squad to work with, I think they usually forget that his work his work is responsible for that. It's him that made them so good. Just look at their key players and where they were before him:

Sterling: Was always considered a great talent, but few would've even considered him a top 10 EPL player. Said to be overpriced and suggesting that he would turn into a winger scoring possible 20+ goas and 10+ assists from open play would've been followed by laughter. His tactical game, decision making and off the ball movement improved so much and this is almost completely down to Guardiola's coaching.

de Bruyne: Great midfielder but again, he was said to be talented but possibly a top 5 player in the world as a midfielder? I doubt that. He also improved enormously under Pep,

Bernardo Silva: Had a great season at Monacco in the shadow of Mbappe.Was clearly immensely talented but to the extent he showed in the last season? Nah.

Aguero: Was great before, is great now.

David Silva: Even he improved slightly under Pep. The David Silva in his second season under Pep was probably the best version of himself and that's also he was already in his 30s.

Sane: Similar to Sterling. Considered a very promising youngster, but struggled at Schalke and couldn't get game time in his first 6 months at City.

We could go on and on about this. Fernandinho, Walker, Laporte, Zinchenko, ... He improved almost every single player in this squad and those he didn't improve mostly maintained their level.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

That's a pretty superficial way to look at it. Yes, 2 in 4 doesn't seem all that impressive but you need to take a closer look and see the way he accomplished what he did. No other manager in the world would've gotten them the title last season except maybe Klopp himself who coachd the rival team. He created arguably the best team in EPL history. No Guardiola and Liverpool would've won last season.

That's a pretty superficial way to look at it. Yes, 2 in 4 doesn't seem all that impressive but you need to take a closer look and see the way he accomplished what he did. No other manager in the world would've gotten them the title last season except maybe Klopp himself who coachd the rival team. He created arguably the best team in EPL history. No Guardiola and Liverpool would've won last season.
Complete utter drivel.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Complete utter drivel.
Which team was better then? I mean, even if you might disagre, "complete utter drivel" is, well, complete utter drivel since this City team holds so many important records that it is already the logical consequence.

Classical Mechanic

So he finally decides to accept that Rodri is a horror show as a 6 in a 4-3-3 and puts him in a double pivot. I could have told him that weeks ago. Shame its taken him until City are out of the title race to realise it.

Andrew Wolf

Supports
Manchester City
So he finally decides to accept that Rodri is a horror show as a 6 in a 4-3-3 and puts him in a double pivot. I could have told him that weeks ago. Shame its taken him until City are out of the title race to realise it.
He's played the double pivot for months. Babysitting Rodri is one of the reasons we have fell so far behind. He's always had either Gundogan or KDB sat near to him and that always meant that Silva was pushed to high up the pitch with nobody close enough to him. Today was different as it was only Arsenal but he's tried something else and we started playing wide again which has been something else that has been badly missing this season.

Siorac

Don't read too much into this game: it was Arsenal. He probably could have played Rodri in goal or put himself at DM and still win easily.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Not so long ago, 'who?' would've been a legitimate question regarding Manchester City.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

In the long term yes but the immediate season after there's potential for them tomdo as good league wise as any Pep season.

If you look at Barca the season after Pep left they still had his Pep's methods well ingrained but without the intensity and got 100 points although admittedly bombed badly Vs Bayern.

DAK222

Supports
Liverpool
Complete utter drivel.
An 18 match winning run to wrap up the title by Christmas.... and then winning 14 matches straight at the end of the following season (which they needed to) to defend the title... I think they've earned a "Hey, what about Man City 2017-2019?" in the conversation about best Premier League teams.

Your bait has been taken R.A.B and upon examination I pronounce it complete and utter drivel. :D

ExecutionerWasp001

Which team was better then? I mean, even if you might disagre, "complete utter drivel" is, well, complete utter drivel since this City team holds so many important records that it is already the logical consequence.
Records have to be taken within the context of the league. City & Liverpool are racking up huge points & win totals due to the diminishing quality of the league. Utd have been in a state of continual transition. Arsenal went stagnant under Wenger & are getting worse. The bottom half teams of the league have also been very poor for a few years.

There is no denying City & Liverpool have good teams ATM. To put them in conversations as the best PL teams ever is ludicrous. It's very easy to do what they have done as the league isn't the challenge it was years ago. SAF won 3 PL in a row twice but never got close to the records that City set in 17/18. It's looking likely that Liverpool will take City's records this season. This all indicates the league is weak.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Don't read too much into this game: it was Arsenal. He probably could have played Rodri in goal or put himself at DM and still win easily.
As much as it "was arsenal" as you do dismissively say, when was the last time a team went there and annihilated them?!

Pagh Wraith

This thread is mental. Their metrics are even better than last year. City have been performing at an incredible (and consistent) level since Pep arrived in 2016. I would agree with the notion that is the best team in the PL era. To call that 'drivel' is ... well drivel.