'Pep' Guardiola sack watch

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Absolute rubbish that City have been hard done by. The biggest rugby union side and reigning champions in England have just been relegated for cooking the books whilst City have had no meaningful punishment from UEFA the same crimes.
Totally agree. Not nearly enough has been done yet to clubs like City and Psg by Uefa. Nothing against you padre, you're a decent poster, but when you say "I understand them though not necessarily agree with them" is a bonkers statement as there is nothing to understand let alone agree with. That rugby analogy is perfect and shows how corrupt football really is in favour of clubs like City and not against them.

*I used City and Psg as they are recent examples. There are/were others like Chelsea and Monaco.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
When you have spent as much as City have, the league becomes an expectation, not a massive accomplishment.

At that degree of spending, the CL is the only attainable goal that makes it all worthwhile. No matter what perceived injustice City fans imagine, it’s the only achievement that would really make me stand back and applaud Guardiola.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
When you have spent as much as City have, the league becomes an expectation, not a massive accomplishment.

At that degree of spending, the CL is the only attainable goal that makes it all worthwhile. No matter what perceived injustice City fans imagine, it’s the only achievement that would really make me stand back and applaud Guardiola.
I'm sure it keeps him up at night

DoomSlayer

Haven't we spend almost as much as them in the recent years? Two titles in 3 years is perfectly fine, I also feel they are in a semi-transition period with some of the senior players leaving or being past their peak.

Maluco

I'm sure it keeps him up at night
I bet it does keep him up at night. He is a perfectionist and he will know that it is something that people will point to about his legacy.

He wants the praise that comes with being a visionary coach and he sets himself up in jobs where he can have the best chance of achieving the maximum possible.

If he were to stay next season and lose the title again, and not win the CL this year or next, his stint at City will have been a failure.

Lesser managers will have accomplished what he has done with far lesser funds. Nothing special to set him apart. He cares deeply what people think of him, all of them do. Management is a glamor job full of egos.

He will be massively stressed right now, make no mistake about it.

Maluco

Haven't we spend almost as much as them in the recent years? Two titles in 3 years is perfectly fine, I also feel they are in a semi-transition period with some of the senior players leaving or being past their peak.
Its all been said before but he had a vastly superior starting point and was given the freedom to spend almost at will after that initial season. It was obviously far better managed than United‘s mess, but he has had two elevens capable of challenging for the title his whole time there.

He has lost the title this season, so it’s now a 50% title win rate. It’s not great and nothing that hasn’t been done before, with far lesser funds. He needed the CL to call this a success and I don’t think he will get it.

If he stays another year and misses out on the title and CL again, then you are moving away from not being special, into failure territory.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
He won the league where at least 3 to 4 other clubs have huge spending powers and high wage bills. Man Utd, for example, has spent almost as much and havent come close to winning.

Maluco

He won the league where at least 3 to 4 other clubs have huge spending powers and high wage bills. Man Utd, for example, has spent almost as much and havent come close to winning.
I get that, but United had an inferior, aging squad, hired David Moyes, sacked off their staff, brought in Steve Round and the lads and generally handled the whole post-Fergie era terribly. It was a mess.

Bar United (which really puts into perspective how inept they have been) his net spend is far more than any other club around him, and his starting squad was far better than any other club around him. (That is without accounting for rumored financial irregularities and side salaries for players and staff)

His expectation was to win the league, and he has met that expectation half the time. It’s cold, but when you cherry pick jobs and give yourself so many advantages, those are the standards that are required.

He hasn’t come close in the CL and has been eliminated by sides with clearly inferior squads, wage budgets and transfer spending.

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City

How much have you spent since Fergie retired? Don't you have the highest wage bill in the league right now? Money does not play football.

Maluco

How much have you spent since Fergie retired? Don't you have the highest wage bill in the league right now? Money does not play football.
Like I said above, you can’t use United as an example. They have been severely mismanaged since Fergie retired and shouldn’t be used as a gauge to Pep, who has had a whole club preparing for his arrival years beforehand and has enough 50 million players to field two starting elevens.

He has every conceivable advantage possible over his competition. He has succeeded 50% of the time in the league. That’s fine, but it’s not special and a CL is the only way he could make it special given the tools that he has at his disposal.

What Klopp has done is infinitely more impressive.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I bet it does keep him up at night. He is a perfectionist and he will know that it is something that people will point to about his legacy.

He wants the praise that comes with being a visionary coach and he sets himself up in jobs where he can have the best chance of achieving the maximum possible.

If he were to stay next season and lose the title again, and not win the CL this year or next, his stint at City will have been a failure.

Lesser managers will have accomplished what he has done with far lesser funds. Nothing special to set him apart. He cares deeply what people think of him, all of them do. Management is a glamor job full of egos.

He will be massively stressed right now, make no mistake about it.
If it did, he wouldn't be managing City. He'd be at Watford attempting to win the treble on a shoestring budget, trying to live up to Raineri's accomplishment and prove himself to you.

Maluco

If it did, he wouldn't be managing City. He'd be at Watford attempting to win the treble on a shoestring budget, trying to live up to Raineri's accomplishment and prove himself to you.
Nonsense, the reason he isn’t at Watford is because he made his name at Barcelona and can go wherever he wants. His touchdown antics and tetchy interviews show a man who is constantly on edge and obssesses over the game.

The reason he is at Man City is because he wants to win it all and he wants every advantage possible to make sure he constantly wins and is lauded for winning.

The problem is when you don’t win, then the pressure is on, because you really should have. He will be feeling it and will spend wildly in the summer in order to correct it.

He has a big ego and is rattled when he doesn’t win. Of course he cares what people think of him and what his legacy will be. It’s stupid to suggest otherwise.

padr81

Supports
Man City
So what exactly have UEFA done to penalise City to such an extent that it's hampered your progress & chances of success ?
I never said they hampered our progress at all... I've said they've pissed off a section of our fanbase (a very big section).

Lets call a spade a spade though..
FFP was brought in not to save anyone but to stop outside investment (City) by the bigger clubs.
They moved the goal posts with regards to FFP right before we failed, then instead of acting on it and punishing us properly they cut a dodgy deal because really they wanted their cut of that their oil money to appease the bigger clubs. Both City and Uefa should be ashamed of this because neither had the balls to actually follow through on their stance.
They also pretty had to know how dodgy our books were back then (they went over them with a fine tooth comb) but they were happy to take the cash instead of having the balls to back up their rules (City too showed a lack of balls by not going to court). The entire deal was rotten to the core.
When Der Spiegel published allegations they reopened the case to cover their own arses.

The gave CSKA a stadium ban for racism (which is fine) but they handed it out late and our fans couldn't attend the match nor could they get refunds etc.. The match comes around and there are approx 1000 CSKA fans in the stadium while City fans are out of pocket and sitting at home.

Personally I have zero issue with FFP at all. I also think we should be punished if found guilty but City are pretty confident CAS will side with them. I do have find Uefa's cowardly playing both sides and caving to pressure on both ends just typical Uefa corruption.
I have huge issue with what happened in Moscow. Our supporters were punished because our player (Yaya) was racially abused... we have every reason to have issue with Uefa.

Hence we boo the anthem and most our supporters have never really taken to the CL. I don't have issue with punishment either because Uefa are bent, we cut a very dodgy deal and get caught out. Other supporters like to believe we have done nothing wrong with FFP but I find that a little burying the head in sand. That said if we win the case in CAS, I'll be wrong and they'll be right. Personally I don't boo the anthem and I want the CL more than anything but I completely understand the supporters who feel hard done by and will feel hard done by until the club are proven guilty.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Totally agree. Not nearly enough has been done yet to clubs like City and Psg by Uefa. Nothing against you padre, you're a decent poster, but when you say "I understand them though not necessarily agree with them" is a bonkers statement as there is nothing to understand let alone agree with. That rugby analogy is perfect and shows how corrupt football really is in favour of clubs like City and not against them.

*I used City and Psg as they are recent examples. There are/were others like Chelsea and Monaco.
@Classical Mechanic - Ill add you to this as its the same point.

You want to punish a club not yet found guilty? There is zero logic in that.
See my above post for my personal views and how they contrast with the majority of our fanbase btw... I'm totally fine with punishment if found guilty.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Yeah but we’re a bit shit at all things management, so not a very good measuring stick.
Fair point and I kind of agree, but I think it takes money and competent use of it to get to the top as opposed to just money or just competency.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Since he’s claiming that he will be judged a failure if he doesn’t win the CL I wonder if he will leave. Does he mean this years CL(I hope so)? That leaves Liverpool with major opportunities to grab more leagues.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Hope we hire him when he's fired ultimately after getting knocked out of the CL. Citeh clearly need Conte.

Josh 76

Since he’s claiming that he will be judged a failure if he doesn’t win the CL I wonder if he will leave. Does he mean this years CL(I hope so)? That leaves Liverpool with major opportunities to grab more leagues.
Ole will stop them!

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Poch to City, Pep to Utd. Poch gets Sterling, Dr Bruyne, Aguero, B Silva, Ederson and Laporte. Pep gets, er, Fred. And Mr Ed. Yeah, not gonna work. Quote me.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Personally I think he’s gonna leave. Not to united obviously. Ole will do just enough to stay. Ed will claim there will be changes in how they do transfers to appease the fans and Poch will end on the mainland. A rosy view

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Poch to City, Pep to Utd. Poch gets Sterling, Dr Bruyne, Aguero, B Silva, Ederson and Laporte. Pep gets, er, Fred. And Mr Ed. Yeah, not gonna work. Quote me.
Pep would quickly be frustrated by our board.

"What do you mean £50m is the net spend per window - I want to spend that, each, on 3 separate defenders on day one"

redshaw

His wife moving to Spain this season and taking one of their kids must be having some affect. Would be interesting to see if Pep ends up at Bayern or Juve does his wife move back with him or stay in Barcelona to look after her fashion business, I suspect she finds a solution once Manchester is not the destination.

TheReligion

Abusive
What you on about? Who has suggested pep to United and Poch to city? Or are you just talking to yourself.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

At least the Pep Guardiola is my idol is somewhat self-aware.

Alabaster Codify7

Unusual interview comments, there. He's cracking I think. I reckon he's gonna be at PSG next season, his missus will enjoy Paris, he'll have a blank chequebook and a few world class players plus very little competition - perfect recipe for him to rebuild his wavering ego.

Abhinav

Didn’t find anything odd in the interview, in-fact he came across quite humble. I find it funny when people call him a fraud - he is no SAF but the kind of impact he has had on the game is anything but ‘fraudulent’. If the board had convinced him to join us, we would have been celebrating at least PL no. 21 rather than fretting about Liverpool inching closer.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Was that comment about City sarcastic? Or was he genuine? Doesn't make him any less of a genius manager, he's produced the best team football I've ever watched in my lifetime (Barca). He really should be aiming for a sleeping giant like AC Milan rather than PSG or Juve (who can win consecutive Serie As without him).

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
I think he'll sign a one-year extension at the end of this season and try to get one more Premier League title by 2022, which is when he'll leave. By that point, another managerial cycle will probably have been completed at the big clubs around Europe and he'll likely have the pick of them. I've said this before and I'll say it again, he was more likely to leave at the end of last season than he is to leave at the end of this one. I don't personally feel this way because I could easily live without it (hell, after the decade we've had I wouldn't mind never winning anything ever again), but the Champions League is clearly his missing piece and I'm not sure he'll prematurely call time on his reign here until he's won it with more than one club. If we were to win it this season I think it'd increase his chances of leaving in June, but I don't think we will win it, so... I think if we've not won it by 2022 he'll just hold his hands up and say he couldn't do it at City, but until then I don't see him giving it up.