'Pep' Guardiola sack watch

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Well yes, it depends on how you define your criteria, which was kind of my point.
Well no, you just provided examples in favour of Pep, I provided examples in favour of SAF which could be seen as an even higher peak which is winning 3 leagues in a row plus a CL each time within those peak years.
If you had included the latter example instead along with the ones favouring Pep, it would have been a somewhat balanced „point“.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Pep has won three league titles in a row twice. Unless by league title you mean "english league title", in which case someone could argue "Ferguson has merely won 3 titles in a row in one league."
I mean, David Moyes would probably have managed three Bundesliga in a row with Bayern. Klopp's one PL is worth 10 times it's weight in gold as those Bundesliga were. Pep shouldn't have done a Neymar and wasted time there in a men against boys competition.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
People do go to great lengths on here to discredit Pep.

We're probably not winning a Prem title until he gets bored and leaves City.
It's like they take any praise of Pep as a shot at SAF.

SAF's record doesn't need defending. Any manager of the modern era (Pep, Jose, Wenger, Zidane) has a quote acknowledging how SAF stands alone. Between Aberdeen and United. And it's unlikely, given how the game has evolved towards the need for specialized coaches and DOFs, that we will ever see his kind again. His legacy as the GOAT is secure, and when a moron goes on TV and insinuates that a flavor of the month is close to him, I just laugh and move on. That's what you do at babble.

So for the sake of this thread, can a mod kindly move the utterly pedantic debate in the last few pages to some void of this forum, so we can get back to debating how Pep would struggle to keep West Ham up ffs?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I mean, David Moyes would probably have managed three Bundesliga in a row with Bayern. Klopp's one PL is worth 10 times it's weight in gold as those Bundesliga were. Pep shouldn't have done a Neymar and wasted time there in a men against boys competition.
Managerial careers can be longer than playing careers so he's had time to do a Neymar and he still has time to go and dominate other leagues. The only question with Pep is if he can do it when he isn't put into the perfect set of circumstances.

amolbhatia50k

Managerial careers can be longer than playing careers so he's had time to do a Neymar and he still has time to go and dominate other leagues. The only question with Pep is if he can do it when he isn't put into the perfect set of circumstances.
Yeah absolutely. They have that liberty and to be fair Bayern are an excellent club and Germany an interesting country.. I'm just saying that raw stats alone are not everything. Hence the point about Bayern success Vs let's say Atletico Madrid or Liverpool success. Bayern with that league even when they're not very good. It's a cakewalk.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Yeah the problem is your argument is semi-circular. You are not independently coming up with traits that define a 'best manager' and finding the one who has them, and saying "oh wow it's Alex Ferguson." You have decided Ferguson is the best manager, and are evaluating managers based on whether they've done the most Alex Ferguson things, which obviously they're all going to fail at since I would hope/assume Alex Ferguson is the manager most similar to Alex Ferguson.

Things like 'working with a budget' or 'building teams' are fine, they are relatively independent. "Better at being successful at one club for long-term" isn't, this is just a thing Alex Ferguson did. Same with 'being more flexible in football approach', or 'more proven at achieving things with underdogs', or 'being more flexible with football approach.' You might as well say Alex Ferguson was better than Pep at having a name that begins with A.

Pep has won three league titles in a row twice. Unless by league title you mean "english league title", in which case someone could argue "Ferguson has merely won 3 titles in a row in one league."
The poster I responded to was providing examples within the Premier League which is alright because it is the only league where both SAF and Pep have managed.
And there is no contest really when it comes to the Bundesliga. Spain is fair enough. But winning 3 in a row with Bayern is really not comparable to winning 3 in a row in the PL (or in Spain). Neither Jose, nor Pep have managed it in the PL despite both outspending everyone in the league.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I’m far from clueless. You however, need to get some sleep. It’s clear that worshipping Cristiano Ronaldo has turned you into an edgy, ranting insomniac. I hope to goodness that you don’t live in Europe, cos writing this nonsense in the middle of the night is not healthy.

You did the first year. Now address what I said about Fergie spending half a billion and breaking the British transfer record seven times. How many times has Pep broken the British transfer record?

The point is not that modern City are richer relatively than Fergie’s United (I assume that they are, even adjusting for inflation: oil money is a tremendous and dodgy resource). The point is that Fergie also had the ability to spend a lot of money, because Manchester United are and always have been a huge club. That doesn’t make what he achieved any less impressive but it is a fact.

People here are just gonna have to accept that Pep will keep winning trophies and he will therefore be compared to Ferguson, especially if he gets ahead of Fergie’s total tally (possible, because he’s still quite young). For the record, I think Chelsea will win the Champions League (and I’ve thought that for a long time), so that should give the haters some joy if it happens.
Oh well just cut the shite.

Simply put, I just don’t think Pep could be better than Fergie.

You see there’s fundamentally difference on how they build their team with different magnitude of resources available in hand, one being so successful building his own teams from scratch or in self-sustain way, and elevating his club to the very top across different era, the other being so successful spending tons of oil money, at the same time implemented great attacking football style. I don’t think there’s any further questions on that after we gone through so many facts check.

But sure Pep could still challenge Fergie as most successful manager ever, I don’t see why he couldn’t. But greatest ever? I just don’t see it, due to all the reasons already being mentioned and discussed over and over again. I don’t think it’s necessary to add anything more, so I’ll just leave it here.

amolbhatia50k

You see there’s fundamentally difference on how they build their team with different magnitude of resources available in hand, one being so successful building his own teams from scratch or in self-sustain way, and elevating his club to the very top across different era, the other being so successful spending tons of oil money, at the same time implemented great attacking football style. I don’t think there’s any further questions on that after we gone through so many facts check.

But sure Pep could still challenge Fergie as most successful manager ever, I don’t see why he couldn’t. But greatest ever? I just don’t see it, due to all the reasons already being mentioned and discussed over and over again. I don’t think it’s necessary to add anything more, so I’ll just leave it here.
Agree.

The issue is that even posters like me who normally make a case of appreciating Pep more are forced to be critical as people start going into mythical perfect manager nonsense. I've always been on the Pep side of the Jose debate but it's only logical to at the same time admit that Mourinho has some achievements that Pep simply has not matched. That's a testament to Jose's greatness and a blot against Pep. Does that mean Jose is better? No. But he's proven to be greater in some aspects. But nah, when people create a perfect image of Pep where been SAF has nothing over him, it causes people like me who want to praise him and usually do, to also stand back and need to call out the bullshit, or just laugh.

And we won't have any belittling of the greatest manager of all time, Sir Alex Ferguson, on redcafe, that's for sure :)

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Well no, you just provided examples in favour of Pep, I provided examples in favour of SAF which could be seen as an even higher peak which is winning 3 leagues in a row plus a CL each time within those peak years.
If you had included the latter example instead along with the ones favouring Pep, it would have been a somewhat balanced „point“.
I defined a peak as a one season performance. If you define a peak as three seasons then fair enough, as there is no official definition. It's a subjective call.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.

Cf the post by @Iker Quesadillas, which I think is pretty astute

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Yeah the problem is your argument is semi-circular. You are not independently coming up with traits that define a 'best manager' and finding the one who has them, and saying "oh wow it's Alex Ferguson." You have decided Ferguson is the best manager, and are evaluating managers based on whether they've done the most Alex Ferguson things, which obviously they're all going to fail at since I would hope/assume Alex Ferguson is the manager most similar to Alex Ferguson.

Things like 'working with a budget' or 'building teams' are fine, they are relatively independent. "Better at being successful at one club for long-term" isn't, this is just a thing Alex Ferguson did. Same with 'being more flexible in football approach', or 'more proven at achieving things with underdogs', or 'being more flexible with football approach.' You might as well say Alex Ferguson was better than Pep at having a name that begins with A.

If you care to read, I’ve already answered all that in my original post few pages back.

In short, to be the greatest of all time, you need mainly 2 factors. First one is to have level of “success” to back up such claims, which I don’t think anyone would have questioned, as Fergie is easily the most successful manager ever. I mean, everyone knows that right?

Arguing into details like “3 titles in a row” IMO doesn’t add much to that at all, it’s just cherry picking.

The 2nd factor, which has been the whole point of discussion in last few pages, is “legacy” factor. His closest rival, Pep, doesn’t quite match him in this, due to reasons stated over last few pages, so I am not going to repeat myself here.

Last edited:

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
The poster I responded to was providing examples within the Premier League which is alright because it is the only league where both SAF and Pep have managed.
And there is no contest really when it comes to the Bundesliga. Spain is fair enough. But winning 3 in a row with Bayern is really not comparable to winning 3 in a row in the PL (or in Spain). Neither Jose, nor Pep have managed it in the PL despite both outspending everyone in the league.
Why not in Spain? 3peats are not particularly common there in modern years IIRC

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
To be the greatest of all time, you need mainly 2 factors. First one is to have level of success to back up such claims, which I don’t think anyone would have questioned, as Fergie is easily the most successful manager ever.

Arguing into details like “3 titles in a row” IMO doesn’t add much to that at all, it’s just cherry picking.

The 2nd factor, which is being whole point of discussion, is “legacy” factor. His closest rival, Pep, doesn’t quite match him in this, due to reasons stated over last few pages.
You’ve chosen 2 factors, and both are debatable. There are many others. What about tactical innovation and influence (eg Michels)? Managing in many different countries where you don’t speak the language and have to deal with a totally different culture, footballing and otherwise? Major success at club and international level like Lippi?

I do think on balance that Fergie has a very strong case to be the GOAT, but even the two factors you outlined are questionable. E.g. Fergie is the most successful manager in terms of total trophies for sure, but what about in the European Cup?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
You’ve chosen 2 factors, and both are debatable. There are many others. What about tactical innovation and influence (eg Michels)? Managing in many different countries where you don’t speak the language and have to deal with a totally different culture, footballing and otherwise? Major success at club and international level like Lippi?

I do think on balance that Fergie has a very strong case to be the GOAT, but even the two factors you outlined are questionable. E.g. Fergie is the most successful manager in terms of total trophies for sure, but what about in the European Cup?
If you start cherry picking on a particular trophy, like European Cup or CL, then yeah theres even a case for Zidane claiming to be greatest ever, but we all know no one would take this seriously.

I mean you just have to look at Fergie overall achievements throughout his managerial career, in Aberdeen and Man Utd, to understand there’s simply no one coming close.

As I’ve said from my earlier posts, give Pep another 10-15 years, he might turn this into much closer battle, which is fair as he is still young. But eventually even great mangers could fail badly in long run, just look at Mourinho, it’s never really dead cert. Pep still has challenges ahead.

And ultimately winning that all from oil money would always be the biggest argument against him claiming to be GOAT, especially when he is being compared with Fergie. I am just being totally honest here.

RedDevilzFox

If you start cherry picking on a particular trophy, like European Cup or CL, then yeah theres even a case for Zidane claiming to be greatest ever, but we all know no one would take this seriously.

I mean you just have to look at Fergie overall achievements throughout his managerial career, in Aberdeen and Man Utd, to understand there’s simply no one coming close.

As I’ve said from my earlier posts, give Pep another 10-15 years, he might turn this into much closer battle, which is fair as he is still young. But eventually even great mangers could fail badly in long run, just look at Mourinho, it’s never really dead cert. Pep still has challenges ahead.

And ultimately winning that all from oil money would always be the biggest argument against him claiming to be GOAT, especially when he is being compared with Fergie. I am just being totally honest here.
Personally, SAFs record in CL is too underwhelming for me to be in the conversation for greatest manager of all time. He is quite possibly the greatest league manager of all time though. If we define a criteria for GOAT manager:

- You have to factor in league performances
- You have to factor in european performances
- You have to factor in longevity at the top
- You have to factor in tactical acumen
- You have to factor in innovation
- You have to factor in man management
- You have to factor in quality of football

SAF scores heavy points on 4 out of 7 clearly (1,3,6,7). I think Pep makes an even better case though.

fergies coat

Pep is an absolutely brilliant Coach, nobody on here is disputing that. It's just certain posters pretending he had the same constraints as Sir Alex which he clearly didn't. He has walked into title winning teams in every club he as managed.

Sir Alex Stopped the old firm domination in Scottish football, taking Aberdeen to their first league title in 20 plus years. Then he came to United and did the same.

Pep came into a Barcelona team that won the European cup a few years previously, then the same at Bayern. He came to city who already had two PL titles. He's a great Manager but he's no Alex Ferguson.

amolbhatia50k

Pep is an absolutely brilliant Coach, nobody on here is disputing that. It's just certain posters pretending he had the same constraints as Sir Alex which he clearly didn't. He has walked into title winning teams in every club he as managed.

Sir Alex Stopped the old firm domination in Scottish football, taking Aberdeen to their first league title in 20 plus years. Then he came to United and did the same.

Pep came into a Barcelona team that won the European cup a few years previously, then the same at Bayern. He came to city who already had two PL titles. He's a great Manager but he's no Alex Ferguson.
That's all some of us are saying really.

Pep is brilliant. I'd take him over anyone , even Klopp, Conte and Zidane. I think people who call his football boring are also a tad bitter. But your post is simply what some refuse to acknowledge. Perfectly put, kudos!

RedDevilzFox

Pep was fortunate to be given Barca reigns but that team was in shambles when he got it. Lets not pretend otherwise.

Since then he did so well, there is virtually no chance he would go on to manage an 'aberdeen' as you put it when all the big clubs line up for him. Its like blaming someone to not be dating susan boyle when they have miranda kerr chasing them. Silly logic.

As someone previously said, in your minds SAF is the best manager ever and you are going to judge everyone else and if they have not done exactly what SAF did, they aren't going to measure upto him. I am simply saying Pep doesn't need to measure up to SAF. I think his record will speak for itself and in time this silly conversation will start again when someone will take Pep and hold him as the measuring stick for every other up and coming manager.

fergies coat

Pep was fortunate to be given Barca reigns but that team was in shambles when he got it. Lets not pretend otherwise.

Since then he did so well, there is virtually no chance he would go on to manage an 'aberdeen' as you put it when all the big clubs line up for him. Its like blaming someone to not be dating susan boyle when they have miranda kerr chasing them. Silly logic.

As someone previously said, in your minds SAF is the best manager ever and you are going to judge everyone else and if they have not done exactly what SAF did, they aren't going to measure upto him. I am simply saying Pep doesn't need to measure up to SAF. I think his record will speak for itself and in time this silly conversation will start again when someone will take Pep and hold him as the measuring stick for every other up and coming manager.
We will never know because he has always chosen the easy option after leaving Barca. Could he have done what Klopp has done at Liverpool?

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.

This is the point that @Iker Quesadillas was making and it’s a good one. It works with players too.

Take Maradona and Pele for example. When Pele retired, people said he would never be matched because no one would ever again score a thousand goals and win 3 World Cups.

Then Maradona came along, and in the eyes of many surpassed Pele. But he didn’t score anything like a thousand goals and he didn’t win 3 World Cups. So how can he possibly be compared to Pele?

He can, because what Pele achieved shouldn’t necessarily be the yardstick by which GOATness is measured, i.e. it shouldn’t be that whoever follows him has to do exactly what he did in order to be legitimately compared to him. It doesn’t work that way, because circumstances are often completely different.

PS; full disclosure, I think that Pele is the GOAT, but that’s neither here nor there :lol:

432JuanMata

The fact that people are even comparing him to SAF with non Utd fans having it as close says how good he is. There is a reason clubs give him the money, they feel he be the best manager with that money and they are right

RedDevilzFox

We will never know because he has always chosen the easy option after leaving Barca. Could he have done what Klopp has done at Liverpool?
That makes no sense at all. You wouldn't date susan boyle if miranda kerr was chasing you. Get real!

And for the record, I think Pep could have managed and won with Liverpool. He is a one of a kind manager similar to Fergie. Fergie had his own strengths and Pep has his own. Statistically by any measure he will surpass fergie if he manages into his 60s. That's just a fact. Everything else is just fergie fanbois being fanbois.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.

On the contrary, if you go to the Zidane thread, you’ll see people coming very close to calling him the greatest ever (this was when he was still in with a chance of a 4th CL and another Liga, the latter of which he obviously still has a chance to win). I don’t agree with that at all, but it just goes to show the weight that many give to the Champions League, hence the ‘cherry picking’

RedDevilzFox

On the contrary, if you go to the Zidane thread, you’ll see people coming very close to calling him the greatest ever (this was when he was still in with a chance of a 4th CL and another Liga, the latter of which he obviously still has a chance to win). I don’t agree with that at all, but it just goes to show the weight that many give to the Champions League, hence the ‘cherry picking’
UCL rightly gets heavy points. Its where the best compete against the best. Fergie's record in UCL is below average IMO. And that's just a fact.

Having said that, UCL is not the only criteria. I listed some of the criteria points in one of the earlier posts on this page.

Pep's Suit

Pep was announced in January 2013, no? In that moment Bayern had two Bundesliga titles from last six. That's quite different from current situation.

Pep's Suit

Also a lot of people here claimed how City is not good enough for Pep and that he should only coach 'proper' clubs. Aka those which were winning everything for last 20, 30 years. He just can't win on Redcafe but we all know the real reasons.

amolbhatia50k

Pep was announced in January 2013, no? In that moment Bayern had two Bundesliga titles from last six. That's quite different from current situation.
They had won the treble and were set up for mailing the league which they did before and after Pro. Come off it a pretty good manager should win that league with Bayern let alone a top class one. Piss easy.

amolbhatia50k

Also a lot of people here claimed how City is not good enough for Pep and that he should only coach 'proper' clubs. Aka those which were winning everything for last 20, 30 years. He just can't win on Redcafe but we all know the real reasons.
He absolutely should have done that. City are a nothing club but for oil money. Barcelona Bayern United are much more special. Normal view to have do football purists. Maybe you prefer the great footballing stories of pSG and City do you?;

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
UCL rightly gets heavy points. Its where the best compete against the best. Fergie's record in UCL is below average IMO. And that's just a fact.

Having said that, UCL is not the only criteria. I listed some of the criteria points in one of the earlier posts on this page.
Yeah I saw the list that you made and all those factors are indeed relevant.

Fergie’s record in the CL is not below average, it’s very good IMO, four finals and 2 victories. But it’s not significantly better than his elite peers, I think that’s the point.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
He absolutely should have done that. City are a nothing club but for oil money. Barcelona Bayern United are much more special. Normal view to have do football purists. Maybe you prefer the great footballing stories of pSG and City do you?;
see this is bullshit, are you saying all clubs apart from the 'historic' are nothing clubs? most clubs in the UK pyramid have rich histories, City have a rich history, before money may not have won much granted but they have history they won a European title before Liverpool's dominance or Arsenal, won the FA Cup before United, we've been around for 141 years you ignorant doylum so don't come saying they're a nothing club when you haven't a bloody clue what history is.

Say Blackpool or Stoke, 'boro, Sunderland, Rochdale are nothing clubs or to fans of the clubs that have been around for over 100 years in the English Pyramid see what reaction you get.

edit - City won one of the 3 major Euro trophies before Barca and Bayern, but we're just a nothing club, absolute melt, football didn't start in '92 you know.

Pickle85

People that support particular people above teams are becoming more and more common - bizarre to me, but to each their own I guess!

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
see this is bullshit, are you saying all clubs apart from the 'historic' are nothing clubs? most clubs in the UK pyramid have rich histories, City have a rich history, before money may not have won much granted but they have history they won a European title before Liverpool's dominance or Arsenal, won the FA Cup before United, we've been around for 141 years you ignorant doylum so don't come saying they're a nothing club when you haven't a bloody clue what history is.

Say Blackpool or Stoke, 'boro, Sunderland, Rochdale are nothing clubs or to fans of the clubs that have been around for over 100 years in the English Pyramid see what reaction you get.

edit - City won one of the 3 major Euro trophies before Barca and Bayern, but we're just a nothing club, absolute melt, football didn't start in '92 you know.
I’ve put that clown on ignore, I suggest you do the same. He doesn’t have the slightest idea about anything pertaining to ‘history’

amolbhatia50k

Behave, cnut face. Others can be mean too.

City are an okay club. I was more refering to the context of when Pep took over when you basically were oil money middle Eastern FC. Every club is legitimate and rich in their own way otherwise. Until they become a plaything whose value is derived from a state

432JuanMata

People that support particular people above teams are becoming more and more common - bizarre to me, but to each their own I guess!
This is the thing people on the caf don’t get, is when a team is successful it will create more fans in the future. I live in Dublin the amount of young kids with City jerseys is mad considering I didn’t see one 10 years ago

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Behave, cnut face. Others can be mean too.

City are an okay club. I was more refering to the context of when Pep took over when you basically were oil money middle Eastern FC.
oh, nothing club to ok club now and I was being mean, you haven't a bloody clue

amolbhatia50k

Sorry precious. Nobody sees middle Eastern oil money buying football trophies as special. Shouldn't have sold the soul if you wanted legitimacy

432JuanMata

You are on a United forum talking about City, you are welcome like every other supporter but don’t take everything to heart. You go on Bluemoon or RAWK they will be saying things about us that isn’t accurate

Thunderhead

Supports
City
This is the thing people on the caf don’t get, is when a team is successful it will create more fans in the future. I live in Dublin the amount of young kids with City jerseys is mad considering I didn’t see one 10 years ago
doesn't mean there wasn't fans, City have had a well supported supporters club in Dublin for as long as I can remember

but yeah your point stands, of course clubs winning things attract more fans, it's always been the way. When I was in Borneo 20 years ago I saw old Blackburn kits probably from the time when they won the league

Thunderhead

Supports
City
You are on a United forum talking about City, you are welcome like every other supporter but don’t take everything to heart. You go on Bluemoon or RAWK they will be saying things about us that isn’t accurate
I don't take much to heart, you can look at my posting history, but when you've people who know absolutely nothing and start slagging off clubs by saying nothing this and nothing that what does that make the rest of the UK pyramid, it was a bullshit post and I called it out