'Pep' Guardiola sack watch

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Wait, even after last night some people are still comparing Pep and Fergie?

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Yep if you like it that way.
You could also say PG hasn’t won it for a decade despite taking over treble winners at Bayern and having the best squad in Europe at City.
Wouldn’t actually surprise me at all if he doesn’t win it with City and the next guy wins it with them in his first couple of years.
You could say that yes, although I’m not sure City have the best squad in Europe, I still think Bayern’s is pretty good. You could also say that Fergie didn’t win it for almost a decade after 99, losing to teams like Lille and Leverkusen. In the grand scheme of things it doesn’t matter that much where legacy is concerned.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Not to mention Pep was never knocked out of the group stages. No such black mark on his career so far unlike the “GOAT” manager here
These are the kind of ‘black marks’ that people talk about in the moment but forget about when the entire career is considered. And rightly so. Every manager, no matter how great, has bad results and failures.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Not to mention Pep was never knocked out of the group stages. No such black mark on his career so far unlike the “GOAT” manager here
Because he's never taken on a serious challenge. We were rebuilding when we were knocked out in the groups. When has Pep ever had to do that?

Schneckerl

Because he's never taken on a serious challenge. We were rebuilding when we were knocked out in the groups. When has Pep ever had to do that?
I'm sure some of Pep's acolytes will claim how he took on the "challenge" to rebuild Barcelona in 2008.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Imagine coming to RedCafe on the morning after Pep's hilarious failure to try and convince everyone he was better than Fergie. Have a fecking word with yourself :lol:

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I know he's just trying to support is his mate (which should tell you plenty about the media really works) but if Mahrez's rather speculative volley goes in that would City's first shot on target in almost 90 minutes, and their second in a champions league final.

So realistically, people should still be talking about how Pep's strategy was still terrible, regardless of result.

I've been hammered on here for saying it multiple times, but for me Pep's tactics are cowardly. It's entirely about minimising risks, rather than trying to succeed. Last night was another example. It's not hard to have your wingers pass it back to the centre backs via a couple one-twos - most teams can do that. They just choose not to, because wingers should be looking to create chances, not keep possession.

City's best chance last night - not for the first time this season - came from a long clearance by the goalkeeper. When things got really going in the 85th on, Kyle Walker became a quarter back and they started lumping the ball into the box like everyone else. City have the best squad in the world, they really should be freed up - even in big matches - to go for it, instead of always making the safe choice.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I'm sure some of Pep's acolytes will claim how he took on the "challenge" to rebuild Barcelona in 2008.
He's been handed everything in his career. He's great don't get me wrong but to compare him to SAF is ridiculous. Sir Alex built United from the ground up and won a European trophy with Aberdeen. Their careers couldn't be any more different.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
He's been handed everything in his career. He's great don't get me wrong but to compare him to SAF is ridiculous. Sir Alex built United from the ground up and won a European trophy with Aberdeen. Their careers couldn't be any more different.
I’m a big Pep fan but I think he was simply the right man at the right time at Barca 09-11. He’s a good coach with a nice philosophy but he’s not the GOAT because of his failures outside of Spain.

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
Imagine coming to RedCafe on the morning after Pep's hilarious failure to try and convince everyone he was better than Fergie. Have a fecking word with yourself :lol:
Facts are facts my friend :) or is this place just an echo chamber?

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
If it was there wouldn’t be so many fans from rival / other teams being allowed here to post more or less whatever they want.
If you want to know what an echo chamber is then join a forum of any other club.

Cait Sith

Meh. The "Pep Guardiola is my idol" memes are really funny now and all. But if he stayed another 20 years at City while doing what he does now, racking up most of the domestic titles and eventually winning a CL final or two at some point in the next 2 decades, he would be pretty much City's SAF. 3/5 league titles in dominant fashion and 1 CL final in 5 years is still a huge success for a club of City's size. Tuchel himself lost a CL final and got sacked less than 12 months ago, now he's the dog's bollocks.

No doubt Pep failing yet again in the CL is hilarious though.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Meh. The "Pep Guardiola is my idol" memes are really funny now and all. But if he stayed another 20 years at City while doing what he does now, racking up most of the domestic titles and eventually winning a CL final or two at some point in the next 2 decades, he would be pretty much City's SAF. 3/5 league titles in dominant fashion and 1 CL final in 5 years is still a huge success for a club of City's size. Tuchel himself lost a CL final and got sacked less than 12 months ago, now he's the dog's bollocks.

No doubt Pep failing yet again in the CL is hilarious though.
He’s not their SAF because he took over a good team.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Always find it funny when oppo’s come here claiming it’s a great place to discuss football then proceed to spout utter shite while they’re here. Bluemoon’s thataway buddy ->

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
Always find it funny when oppo’s come here claiming it’s a great place to discuss football then proceed to spout utter shite while they’re here. Bluemoon’s thataway buddy ->
I found it funny that a factual statement triggered so many people, and that same factual statement is an utter shite to these same people because it doesn’t suit their group think and echo chambering.

Just because this is RedCafe, not Bluemoon or RAWK, just because Pep screwed up yesterday, doesn’t change the fact that SAF did not get out of the group stages in the UCL once in his career.

Just because you folks here did not like it, doesn’t mean it did not happen. Don’t be ostriches.

Olecurls99

You could say that yes, although I’m not sure City have the best squad in Europe, I still think Bayern’s is pretty good. You could also say that Fergie didn’t win it for almost a decade after 99, losing to teams like Lille and Leverkusen. In the grand scheme of things it doesn’t matter that much where legacy is concerned.
I'd say Fergie would have won 3 Champions leagues with that Barca team. Would have won 2 with Bayern and would have won at least 1 with this squad.

Nobody has ever managed such talented squads consecutively.

RedDevilzFox

This place is an echo chamber. A large segment of know it all "top reds" that can't see another manager could be great or better than ferguson. No slight against him but that's entirely possible and highly likely if Pep manages another 20 years. That won't stop from goal posts being constantly shifted here though.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20

Ballbag's completely lost it.
Ballbag in full meltdown. :lol:

He must have had a similar one when his mate Poch didn't win the French league as well.

TheReligion

Abusive
This place is an echo chamber. A large segment of know it all "top reds" that can't see another manager could be great or better than ferguson. No slight against him but that's entirely possible and highly likely if Pep manages another 20 years. That won't stop from goal posts being constantly shifted here though.
Why do you come on here then? Seriously. What's the attraction.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I’m a big Pep fan but I think he was simply the right man at the right time at Barca 09-11. He’s a good coach with a nice philosophy but he’s not the GOAT because of his failures outside of Spain.
I'm not sure there's any other manager in world football who could win three PL titles in four years (having already won three Bundesliga titles in three years) and still be criticised for "failures outside of Spain". Even in the context of comparing him to the greatests of all time, that's an insane way to frame what has been a ludicrously successful career as a manager.

If that's the standard for "failures" then literally every manager in the history of football has awful failures in their career, no doubt starting with SAF and his inability to win more than two CLs in 26 years while lesser managers racked up as many or more in shorter periods of time. You can disqualify pretty much anybody by focusing in on the flaws in their CV.

wise_old_man

I dont know how much of it is on Pep (though presumably a fair bit since the team is mostly all players that he has bought) but I just feel like this Man City team has no fight in them. I don't know if I'd go as far as bottlers but they certainly aren't the team that outfight their opponents. They have so much quality in both their first and second XI, its no wonder they do so well domestically, they're perfect for a league campaign because the quality in their side can blow away the bottom half of the league and a fair bit of the top half. But when they can't just outclass their opponents they don't really seem to have the fight in them to win the game anyway.
Tell a lot about us if we lost the League Title to a team with "no fight in them", I'm afraid.
It's us who constantly shows we have "no fight" by bottling all these chances at silverware.

RedDevilzFox

Why do you come on here then? Seriously. What's the attraction.
I don't spend all day here, probably sum total of 30 mins a day. I love united and would like to be where you can have an open minded discussion. Loving fergie and united doesn't preclude me from admiring others.

TheReligion

Abusive
I don't spend all day here, probably sum total of 30 mins a day. I love united and would like to be where you can have an open minded discussion. Loving fergie and united doesn't preclude me from admiring others.
Wandering eye

Hope you're not married and if you are they aren't reading this.

stampedingviking

I'm not sure there's any other manager in world football who could win three PL titles in four years (having already won three Bundesliga titles in three years) and still be criticised for "failures outside of Spain". Even in the context of comparing him to the greatests of all time, that's an insane way to frame what has been a ludicrously successful career as a manager.

If that's the standard for "failures" then literally every manager in the history of football has awful failures in their career, no doubt starting with SAF and his inability to win more than two CLs in 26 years while lesser managers racked up as many or more in shorter periods of time. You can disqualify pretty much anybody by focusing in on the flaws in their CV.
Come on, even my granny could win titles with those Bayern and City teams (and she's been dead 30 years). He's just waltzed in to whichever club has by far the best players at the tim e.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
And most of it defending your hero Pep. Quality :lol: