'Pep' Guardiola sack watch

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
I think the so called anti-personality stick that some people hit him with was first ignited by Zlatan who called Pep's Barca Squad "bunch of quiet boys" which in my opinion was only the Swede trying to protect his gigantic ego after failing to excel in that Barcelona side but nevertheless it started a trend which explodes right after each of Pep's failures. I'd say the main reason he hasn't won the CL after leaving Barca is simply down to the fact that no manager in the world can implement the same style in different clubs and different countries and achieve the same amount of success. You might win one trophy or two in different countries like Ancelotti does but even he hasn't managed to create winning dynasties which would continue for more than one year with anyone of the clubs he has managed. Even Prime Mourinho failed to win the CL with Chelsea and then Real Madrid. The standards that Pep set with his Barcelona side and the quality of that team is always set to make him look average whenever he fails to win a trophy with another team.
It's because of the money he spends and the teams he takes over, he's gotten to a final once in the last 11 years after walking into a Bayern side fresh off a treble and probably the most ruthless side I've seen - failed to win the CL during his 3 year tenure there.

And despite spending over a billion at City has only managed a final once in hus 6 years, both his previous teams have gone on to win it again without him, he's a great league manager, but even then it's a close fight between City and Liverpool even with the resource gap.

Klopp is a better manager than Pep, Pep walked into City with the club basically set up for him and has been given oodles of cash whereas Klopp was a good hire by Pool and he basically turned a mediocre teams into a force (I hate complimenting Liverpool so much...).

The issue Pep has is that he's had the privilege no other manager in football history has ever had before and he's failed relative to that privilege and he probably knows it too, it's why you see his teams getting twitchy in the CL, it stems from him.

His teams also lack any sort of character, I think Zlatan was completely correct in his statements, its why I don't actually mind City winning the league as much, they're just a nothing entity, manufactured from the ground up and their players are the equivalent of eating white rice, boring.

choccy77

This deserves so many Houllier emojis it would break the entire site.
Its true though, the first final we were better and the ref was awful and we missed opportunities.

2nd Final we were not even on the same pitch.

AshRK

This deserves so many Houllier emojis it would break the entire site.
Well to be fair we started really well and should have scored but they scored against the run of play. Also, let us not forget they were massively lucky to be even playing the final that season.

As for the 2011 final, well they were just class apart.

copen1945

Sounds like Pep and Haaland will leave Man City about the same time. They will be good without these two, but not as much. Without Pep's presence, it will be a rude awakening if their lot are expecting players to choose Man City over Real Madrid, Barcelona and others.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Sounds like Pep and Haaland will leave Man City about the same time. They will be good without these two, but not as much. Without Pep's presence, it will be a rude awakening if their lot are expecting players to choose Man City over Real Madrid, Barcelona and others.
Apparently Pep will decide on his future at the end of next season when is contract is up as he wants to see how things are at that stage.

copen1945

Apparently Pep will decide on his future at the end of next season when is contract is up as he wants to see how things are at that stage.
Sounds oddly noncommital when he has just been gifted a very expensive toy. He probably knows Haaland doesn't plan on staying for a decade and doesn't want to get stuck with aging De Bruyne, Sterling, etc.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Sounds oddly noncommital when he has just been gifted a very expensive toy. He probably knows Haaland doesn't plan on staying for a decade and doesn't want to get stuck with aging De Bruyne, Sterling, etc.
I don't think Haaland was his pick tbh.

copen1945

I don't think Haaland was his pick tbh.
Kane probably was Pep's first choice. His playing style is perfect for Pep. Kane can transition between a 9 and a 10 effortlessly. Kane has also proven himself in the league. Haaland, despite his talent, will need time to adapt. I don't think Pep wants to go through another rebuild process of three seasons.

R'hllor

Him saying that shit isnt even that bad, whats worse is actually responding/reacting to Evra`s comments in the first place, i mean guy is licking a raw chicken

ashneel

The Pep Guardiola is my idol is getting riled up easy these days. Would love to see him being handed an average team with no big budget to manage one day..

JohnnyKills

He sounds oddly bitter in this instance.
Doesn't he.

Yeah sure he beat us, but he had the all-conquering Spain team plus Messi up front. Big whoop.

Clearly a good coach but he hasn't achieved anything genuinely noteworthy in his managerial career IMO.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Well to be fair we started really well and should have scored but they scored against the run of play. Also, let us not forget they were massively lucky to be even playing the final that season.

As for the 2011 final, well they were just class apart.
Eto'o doesn't get enough respect. The way he chopped inside Vidic for that first goal :eek: :nervous:

Changed the game.

Tavern in the town

It’s nice to see him having a bit of bite and personality in his interviews rather than the usual “they are so good, they are the best team we’ve played this season” after pasting someone 5-0.

Davie Moyes

Really poor response to cheap baiting by Evra. You don't expect managers to respond to this sort of stuff.

I think if Sir Alex was still managing us he would have found a way to wear down both Klopp and Pep by easily getting under their skin with the mind games. Both would eventually leave/take break from management.

MehdiSaboori1993

It's because of the money he spends and the teams he takes over, he's gotten to a final once in the last 11 years after walking into a Bayern side fresh off a treble and probably the most ruthless side I've seen - failed to win the CL during his 3 year tenure there.

And despite spending over a billion at City has only managed a final once in hus 6 years, both his previous teams have gone on to win it again without him, he's a great league manager, but even then it's a close fight between City and Liverpool even with the resource gap.

Klopp is a better manager than Pep, Pep walked into City with the club basically set up for him and has been given oodles of cash whereas Klopp was a good hire by Pool and he basically turned a mediocre teams into a force (I hate complimenting Liverpool so much...).

The issue Pep has is that he's had the privilege no other manager in football history has ever had before and he's failed relative to that privilege and he probably knows it too, it's why you see his teams getting twitchy in the CL, it stems from him.

His teams also lack any sort of character, I think Zlatan was completely correct in his statements, its why I don't actually mind City winning the league as much, they're just a nothing entity, manufactured from the ground up and their players are the equivalent of eating white rice, boring.
I totally agree with you complimenting his record in the league campaigns. I think his record of 9 league titles in the 12 league campaigns he has overseen in 3 different countries is quite a magnificent achievement that deserves recognition but then again he has only managed to add European silverware to those league titles in two of these 12 seasons, and on both occasions he did it with Barcelona, his local club in which he literally grew up and started his managerial career in.

After leaving Barcelona, he hasn't been able to create teams who are strong enough physically and mentally to top everyone domestically and on the continental stage in the same season, which as I said is down to him failing to create that bit of toughness and hunger that teams who win doubles and trebles have ( Like Mourinho's Inter, that Bayern Munich side you mentioned and our very own Man United side on 08).

I don't claim to be an expert but I think he hasn't been able to immerse himself in the culture and get comfortable in the environment like he did at Barcelona and as I said I don't think any other manager would be able to achieve mercurial success in different countries. I'm not sure even SAF, as much as the genius that he was, would have been able to replicate the success he had with Man United in another big European club. Journeymen do not create winning dynasties.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sultan

tomaldinho1

Replying to clickbait comments is not equivalent to being rattled
Why would he respond to any pundit at all, particularly one like Evra who is affiliated with a rival? If for example Craig Bellamy came out and criticised Ten Hag, I’d be so disappointed if he even gave any kind of response. Media dangled the bait and Pep gobbled it up.

Becks00

Really poor response to cheap baiting by Evra. You don't expect managers to respond to this sort of stuff.

I think if Sir Alex was still managing us he would have found a way to wear down both Klopp and Pep by easily getting under their skin with the mind games. Both would eventually leave/take break from management.
If SAF was still here, I am not sure either Pep or Klopp would come to the Epl.

MUW4Eva

I totally agree with you complimenting his record in the league campaigns. I think his record of 9 league titles in the 12 league campaigns he has overseen in 3 different countries is quite a magnificent achievement that deserves recognition but then again he has only managed to add European silverware to those league titles in two of these 12 seasons, and on both occasions he did it with Barcelona, his local club in which he literally grew up and started his managerial career in.

After leaving Barcelona, he hasn't been able to create teams who are strong enough physically and mentally to top everyone domestically and on the continental stage in the same season, which as I said is down to him failing to create that bit of toughness and hunger that teams who win doubles and trebles have ( Like Mourinho's Inter, that Bayern Munich side you mentioned and our very own Man United side on 08).

I don't claim to be an expert but I think he hasn't been able to immerse himself in the culture and get comfortable in the environment like he did at Barcelona and as I said I don't think any other manager would be able to achieve mercurial success in different countries. I'm not sure even SAF, as much as the genius that he was, would have been able to replicate the success he had with Man United in another big European club. Journeymen do not create winning dynasties.
The ultimate big team successful manager across multiple countries is Don Carlo, Pep doesn't come anywhere close to his successful tenures (ignoring his stint at Everton of course).

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
If SAF was still here, I am not sure either Pep or Klopp would come to the Epl.
Klopp definitely would. He fought uphill battles for all his career, I don't think the would fear going against SAFs United. Pep I'm not so sure about though...

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
Klopp definitely would. He fought uphill battles for all his career, I don't think the would fear going against SAFs United. Pep I'm not so sure about though...
With the money City has, I think he would. Money is a big factor, and he might have come and won few titles, but with SAF it was always he outlasted every great threat whether Arsenal of Wenger, Mourinho's/Ancelloti's Chelsea or Oil money City.

MehdiSaboori1993

The ultimate big team successful manager across multiple countries is Don Carlo, Pep doesn't come anywhere close to his successful tenures (ignoring his stint at Everton of course).
Ancelotti is possibly the most decorated journeyman in the entire European Football but even he hasn't managed to win more than 1 league title in each of the countries he has managed (A record which falls massively short of Pep's) nor has he won the league title in any one of the 3 seasons in which he won the CL( Something he is on the verge of achieving this very season)

Pep I believe has manged to surpass the likes of Ancelotti and Mourinho in terms of the consistency in success but in terms of creating legacies which would be defined by his name, he still falls short in comparison to Sir Alex, Bob Paisley and Hizfeld. Even Klopp, as many have mentioned here, has left a bigger impact on the current Liverpool side than pep had on Bayern Munich and Man city.

Reactions: Sultan

PepG

Supports
Ajax
Ancelotti is possibly the most decorated journeyman in the entire European Football but even he hasn't managed to win more than 1 league title in each of the countries he has managed (A record which falls massively short of Pep's) nor has he won the league title in any one of the 3 seasons in which he won the CL( Something he is on the verge of achieving this very season)

Pep I believe has manged to surpass the likes of Ancelotti and Mourinho in terms of the consistency in success but in terms of creating legacies which would be defined by his name, he still falls short in comparison to Sir Alex, Bob Paisley and Hizfeld. Even Klopp, as many have mentioned here, has left a bigger impact on the current Liverpool side than pep had on Bayern Munich and Man city.
I respect your opinion but your very last paragraph is not true at all. As Thomas Muller said the other day Bayern still are playing with the fundamental ideas of Pep Guardiola and he is the most influential coach in the whole Bayern reinstalling as a major force (post 2009). As for City his influence there is yet to be seen after he is no longer there but the whole club was restructured to be in his liking even before he got there and Guardiola is on the verge to spend almost a decade there (if he sign an extention to his current contract). The way they play and win titles is exactly what i would call a dynasty and legacy for the years to come. Man City is Guardiola's child now.

Last edited:

MehdiSaboori1993

I respect your opinion but your very last paragraph is not true at all. As Thomas Muller said the other day Bayern still are playing with the fundamental ideas of Pep Guardiola and he is the most influential coach in the whole Bayern reinstalling as a major force (post 2009). As for City his influence there is yet to be seen after he is no longer there but the whole club was restructured to be in his liking even before he got there and Guardiola is on the verge to spend almost a decade there (if he sign an extention to his current contract). The way they play and win titles is exactly what i would call a dynasty and legacy for the years to come. Man City is Guardiola's child now.
I respect yours as much but what I meant was from the outsider's perspective in terms of the kind of change a certain appointment makes in the club's history and how does the period before the appointment differ from the time after it!

In Barcelona's case, he truly changed every fabric of the club in & outside of the pitch. He took 3 or 4 good Footballers and turn them into legendary all- time greats (Messi, Xavi, Iniesta) He gave the team a way to play, a new belief in homegrown talents (Some of which became integral parts of the team for the years to come) and a much brighter trophy cabinet so that is something which truly falls in MY category of legacy creation.

But in Bayern Munich and Man city, despite making a long lasting impact on the style of Football as you mentioned, one can't claim either club's course of history was changed by him being appointed as the manager. Bayern normally wins Bundesliga and they make a good CL run into the last 8 or semis in most of the seasons and his time at the club didn't show a significant upheaval, and the same can be said about his Man City tenure too. They had already won the league, the league cup and the FA cup with 2 different managers since starting to splash the cash and one of those managers even managed to take them to a CL semi final as well so in general terms it does not look as if Pep Guardiola's appointment as the manager has upgraded the status of Manchester City Football club.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I respect your opinion but your very last paragraph is not true at all. As Thomas Muller said the other day Bayern still are playing with the fundamental ideas of Pep Guardiola and he is the most influential coach in the whole Bayern reinstalling as a major force (post 2009).
Well... No.

Bayern reached 3 CL finals between 2009 and 2012. Louis van Gaal put them back on track to become a major European force and Heynckes was able to continue this work and reap the rewards by winning the treble in 2012. This was Bayerns most consistent dominant run in Europe ever and it ended when Pep arrived.

And also Pep's ideas are roughly in line with LvG's and Heynckes' (at the time he coached Bayern), so it's not like he changed everything. LvG keeps being the most influential coach Bayern had in the last 15 years.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
My guess is he has a job for life should he want it. I knew he would take time to win the CL (agreed, I was certain it would be last year or this so he might be behind schedule but who would they replace him with?)

Hughie77

Can't sack him , he knows we're all the skeletons are buried. Along with those emails cas didn't find, FFP load of shit...