Pep Guardiola to leave Man City in 2023 | Extends contract until 2025

Flytan

I don't get what he gets by announcing this so soon. It has to change how possible players see playing for City doesn't it? I mean they'll obviously hire a world class manager after him but what player would go to them next season know it's his last?

Also not sure why people are giving him flak for wanting to manage a good national team, he has the pick of pretty much any team in the world whenever he wants it. Why would he coach anything but the best?

cyberman

He will go before that IMO. A bloated squad with half of the team knowing they aren’t starters will sleepwalk though that last year

ti vu

Why in the feck would he pick a weak team?
Why not? Famous coaches, coach weak nations from other continents from time to time.

Most FAs normally pick their nationality to coach their NTs for the, politic/ pride reason anyways. Why he's in the position to pick? Why be so specific when it's a long time (in football) until he leaves his position)?

This is just throw the hat into the ring act. Make your availability known, so someone would pave the way, doing the groundwork for you.

edcunited1878

He says this now, but who exactly knows how it is going to play out. One thing for sure is that City will remain competitive because their top decision makers are very good, they have a lot of resources as CFG, and they have won before Pep became manager.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
He's quite transparent about his choice, isn't he? "South America, European" both happens to have strongest NTs in the world...

Just wait for the groundwork to be done, and pick one of the strongest now.
I never really get this narrative that managers/players proven at the very top level have to take steps down to be considered great.

Pep earned his "easy" jobs by creating the best team of all time.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Two years to deliver the big one - can see City pushing for Ronaldo now.
Ronaldo isn't dumb enough to 1)come back to the premier league at 36, and 2)kill his history with us in one fell swoop.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
He says this now, but who exactly knows how it is going to play out. One thing for sure is that City will remain competitive because their top decision makers are very good, they have a lot of resources as CFG, and they have won before Pep became manager.
This is a very good point. I do wonder if Mancini had stayed on whether they would've won the CL by now?

Withnail

Why not? Famous coaches, coach weak nations from other continents from time to time.

Most FAs normally pick their nationality to coach their NTs for the, politic/ pride reason anyways. Why he's in the position to pick? Why be so specific when it's a long time (in football) until he leaves his position)?

This is just throw the hat into the ring act. Make your availability known, so someone would pave the way, doing the groundwork for you.
Famous good coaches who aren't past it rarely pick weak international teams as far as I know.

He'll pick a team with players he can win something with and he'd be mad to do something like going to the Faroes.

Brophs

The One and Only
This is what being in Daniel Levy’s orbit does to a man.

cyberman

I never really get this narrative that managers/players proven at the very top level have to take steps down to be considered great.

Being a chequebook manager is a legitimate criticism.

Cloud7

Good for us. One of the two best managers in the world leaving the league. Realistically City aren't going to get anyone as good as him. I view Klopp and Liverpool as far more catchable than City and Pep.

I hope he goes on to manage the Brazil NT. No country in the world has a football spirit like Brazil. They're the ones that beautiful football is synonymous with. They've lost their way for a long time now, and it would be great to see Pep take a crack at bringing them to what they used to be.

hungryhippo

I don't get what he gets by announcing this so soon. It has to change how possible players see playing for City doesn't it? I mean they'll obviously hire a world class manager after him but what player would go to them next season know it's his last?

Also not sure why people are giving him flak for wanting to manage a good national team, he has the pick of pretty much any team in the world whenever he wants it. Why would he coach anything but the best?
People love to be critical just for the sake of it. Nothing wrong with his statements what so ever.

Gotta give it to Pep, he's managed his career very well so far. Being a top manager with extremely high expectations must be extremely stressful. I dunno how they do it tbh. Just look at how much Ole has aged since he came to OT. Taking time off between big jobs seems wise.

I don't think it's a big problem announcing it either. As long as the decision is made, I don't think there's much to gain from hiding it from the players.

ti vu

Key word.

Did he single handed create it; or as influential as he did, it's more of star aligning event? Why hasn't he been able win CL with the other teams? Barcelona and Bayern both had won CL after he left.

Yes, he's capable coach that earned him his easy top jobs. However, as I wrote in my last post, at international level, there is politics involved. With Pep's political stance re Catalonia-Spain, it's quite amusing he's drumming up interest like this (similar how he did with his club journey).

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Being a chequebook manager is a legitimate criticism.
If it was that easy to just win with money he wouldn't have got the City job in the first place as Hughes would still be there.

The only element of luck in his career so far is getting the Barca job so early, his work there gives him the pick of top jobs until he shows signs of decline (and even then will still get big jobs for a while as Jose shown).

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Key word.

Did he single handed create it; or as influential as he did, it's more of star aligning event? Why hasn't he been able win CL with the other teams? Barcelona and Bayern both had won CL after he left.

Yes, he's capable coach that earned him his easy top jobs. However, as I wrote in my last post, at international level, there is politics involved. With Pep's political stance re Catalonia-Spain, it's quite amusing he's drumming up interest like this (similar how he did with his club journey).
Inherited

(and crafted t b f)

dinostar77

Probably deserves its own thread:

Good news for us (and any other prospective title contenders). We'll see how City cope with post-managerial transition.
He's apparently always wanted to coach brasil. Be a first for them to hire a foreign coach.

cyberman

If it was that easy to just win with money he wouldn't have got the City job in the first place as Hughes would still be there.

The only element of luck in his career so far is getting the Barca job so early, his work there gives him the pick of top jobs until he shows signs of decline (and even then will still get big jobs for a while as Jose shown).
It is kind of easy winning with money with sides he had at Barca and Bayern? Those top sides do. Pelegríni did, Mancini did?
When do these sides actually fail and when does money not come out on top?

NewYorkRed

I’m not a pep fanboy by any means, but people who are having a go at him for ending up at a great/stacked national team are hilarious. As if you guys would decline an offer at BCG/Chase/Apple and rather work at some small company and try to get them to their level. Give me a break, this is his JOB. He is a human being just like the rest of us.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Key word.

The best way to describe it is, if I said in 2008 Xavi, Iniesta and even Messi would have become the extreme level they did would you have believed me?

He took over a club that finished double figure points behind Villareal with the core of the prior successful sides bar Eto'o all heavily declining and turned it into the greatest ever club side within three years, that's creating by any metric.

While I'd agree his UCL record should be better, the league over a period of time is a better barometer. Zidane is/was the more the opposite way and no one seems to rate him THAT highly.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
If he win the CL for City then there is no more incentive or motivation for him to stay any longer. For his age it is a good idea to be the coach for a national team like Spain so he can spend more time with his family. He will be 52 in 2023 and not everyone wants to work till 60.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
It is kind of easy winning with money with sides he had at Barca and Bayern? Those top sides do. Pelegríni did, Mancini did?
When do these sides actually fail and when does money not come out on top?
I think before Pep's time Bayern won three in a row once before.

Pep's predecessors at City didn't win it back to back or push 100 points.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Probably the off-cycle that year.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
He hasn't said he'll definitely leave, only hinted at the thought.

Couldn't care less if he stays or goes to be honest, absolutely brilliant manager but City will carry on throwing money at the solutions with him or without.

ti vu

Famous good coaches who aren't past it rarely pick weak international teams as far as I know.

He'll pick a team with players he can win something with and he'd be mad to do something like going to the Faroes.
At international level, if you're not fortunate enough with talents, and the expectation coming with it; going far in the big tournament alone most of the time is considered job well done. Third place in World Cup, runner up in World Cup... have been warmly welcomed back home. The very reason, coaches are more open minded at international to take lesser jobs. The top jobs as politics dictate not as often available. Strange to narrow your options on continent this early.