Pep Guardiola to leave Man City in 2023 | Extends contract until 2025

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I was expecting to him to manage Brazil or another international team. Maybe he still will and leave in 2024 in time to setup up a team for the 2026 WC.

I wonder if he'd even fancy managing England if Spain Brazil doesn't happen and he fancies a change.
He'll wait to see who the emerging super power are, then take them over and win a few tournaments, to cries of "such majesty"

largelyworried

Not a surprise. Where's he going to go? Doubt he'd go back to Bayern, Italy isn't rich enough, definitely not going to Real Madrid and I can't see him at another Premier League team. I guess there's a chance of a reunion with Barcelona, but other than that, his only options are the semi-retirement of international football or retirement full stop.

LoneStar

It's hard not to get bored with such dominance, really surprising that he's extending. Maybe he didn't get any good offers. And very likely he wants the CL with City.

Anyway, that pretty much means City will be winning it till he's there. Unless his players get demotivated, it's hard to see how they won't continue their winning ways.

AaronRedDevil

Not a surprise. Where's he going to go? Doubt he'd go back to Bayern, Italy isn't rich enough, definitely not going to Real Madrid and I can't see him at another Premier League team. I guess there's a chance of a reunion with Barcelona, but other than that, his only options are the semi-retirement of international football or retirement full stop.
Juventus would be next or PSG. Somewhere easy as always. He still only in his 50s. Could easily have another 10 more years.

Himannv

PSG might be like semi-retirement as well.

Puskas_007

Painful news but if we continue to get better then we can start ignoring what's going on over there and hopefully focus on building something of our own that we can be proud of (again)...

Oranges038

I have the feeling he's not staying purely because he wants to stay.

Pep's been bought, I'm sure it will all come out in years to come.

LordSpud

Normally I would be annoyed but with Liverpool's future up in the air and the risk of them and Klopp building another megapower we kinda need him to stick around just in case.

God what a shit situation to want a City manager to stay on just in case Liverpool go big time :(

Wilt

Obvious he’d stay ….he’s built an incredible squad which he’ll add to ….zero chance he’d walk away and leave it for someone else.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
I guess he no longer feel "burnt out" every 3rd year or so, despite getting older, Man City must be an easier environment than Barca and Bayern, though that wouldn't be surprising tbh.

erikcred

I guess he no longer feel "burnt out" every 3rd year or so, despite getting older, Man City must be an easier environment than Barca and Bayern, though that wouldn't be surprising tbh.
I guess doing the Scrooge McDuck coin dive every night when he gets back home must be quite therapeutic.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arsenal
no surprise that now ronaldo has gone the biggest threat to his dominance has gone and he wants to stay.

Arthur Pewty

Supports
Manchester City
Reckon he's desperate for a CL with them. To not win it after all the time and money spent on one of the best teams in the world would always bother him.
It sure as hell bothers me ;-) And BTW, I am not sure we will ever win it with him in charge. Incredible manager over the course of a season. He manages to rotate a squad, swapping players in and out, and managing through suspensions and injuries, better than anyone else. But he has the extremely annoying habit of completely fecking it up in one-off, must-win games. The Chelsea CL final was an absolute cluster-feck, for example.

And BTW, I agree with the other poster who said there's realistically nowhere else for him to go. I wonder if his next gig might be managing a national team?

Cloud7

To be fair being a manager in Barcelona seems like a significantly higher pressure environment than being a manager in any of the English clubs

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
It’s funny how hundreds of millions can take off some of the stress.
It's still a valid point that live at City is likely easier than at Barca or Bayern, just look at how many influential people both have around their teams and how few City have.

Fluctuation0161

Unlimited budget so effectively playing in cheat mode certainly makes things easier.

Fluctuation0161

It's still a valid point that live at City is likely easier than at Barca or Bayern, just look at how many influential people both have around their teams and how few City have.
Much less pressure from fans because they barely have any. And have no history of success to live up too.