Pepe Reina

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brophs

The One and Only
"But after 2009 you were fecking pony, son."

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Really odd decision for him to go to Bayern, seems to be a trend with once top keepers in the Premier League to get to a certain age and then be happy to just collect a pay check - Cudicini & Given are the other two that spring to mind but I guess they were getting on in age when they moved to Spurs and Villa but Reina hardly has that excuse being only 31 (about to turn 32)

ChocoJim

See you Saturday Pepe! Don't worry chaps I'll make sure I step on his foot in the mix zone if I see him.

Suus

He's still a class goalie. To 'give up' and become a backup is kinda sad to see. I'd have taken him instead of Lindegaard as backup. What I dont get is, he couldve gone to Arsenal and kicked their pole-in-goal out. I'm sure even a few top6-7 clubs in Spain would relish the chance at him.

I think the chance to get titles and medals prolly attracted him alot.

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
He's still a class goalie. To 'give up' and become a backup is kinda sad to see. I'd have taken him instead of Lindegaard as backup. What I dont get is, he couldve gone to Arsenal and kicked their pole-in-goal out. I'm sure even a few top6-7 clubs in Spain would relish the chance at him.

None of the clubs you listed would pay £100k a week.

Suus

None of the clubs you listed would pay £100k a week.
Then he's a daft sob. Being on the bench for £100k/week (+ bonuses he'll never get) at Bayern or playing regularly for £80-90k/weekly (+ bonuses he can collect) at Arsenal. If its cash were talking about, the choice seems rather easy. And as a professional, well he's no Gomes, Hilario or Friedel.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
No he didn't, he said he was annoyed at how the transfer was communicated to him. There was no pop at Rodgers, he was too sensitive to it.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
No he didn't, he said he was annoyed at how the transfer was communicated to him. There was no pop at Rodgers, he was too sensitive to it.
In his letter last year he stated:

But if I have one regret, it is the way that I am leaving. It is only natural that I would be disappointed that the Liverpool management agreed to loan me to Napoli without telling me first, I thought that I deserved better than that.
It was regarded as a 'pop' by most observers and I don't blame Rodgers for being unhappy with it.

Barney

Supports
Liverpool
The bit about going to work with the best manager he had ever worked under was a clear dig as well.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
The bit about going to work with the best manager he had ever worked under was a clear dig as well.
I didn't read it like that, it's natural that he was happy to be working with Rafa again and that he views him as his best ever manager.

I thought the letter was fine, but there was obviously some behind-the-scenes fall-out at some stage.

In his letter last year he stated:

It was regarded as a 'pop' by most observers and I don't blame Rodgers for being unhappy with it.
I know, that's the line I meant when I said he wasn't happy with the way the transfer was communicated to him.

AKDevil

He's not good enough to be no1 for any half decent team so might as well take the money and continue glorified cheerleader role he's done so well with Spain. Was good once upon a time but been pretty poor since chucking Chamakh's header in. Thank god we didn't sign him.

Sam

Surely he's better then Mignolet? Why did Liverpool let him go?

Sam

Because he was at the stage where he didn't save anything amd his wages were ridiculous.
Is he really worse then Minolet though? Surely his form hadn't dropped that much?

Barney

Supports
Liverpool
Is he really worse then Minolet though? Surely his form hadn't dropped that much?
He's probably better than Mignolet in current form. Mignolet last season was better than Reina in Rodgers' first season though.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Because he was at the stage where he didn't save anything amd his wages were ridiculous.
The main reason is that he had notified the club that he expected to sign for Barcelona that summer and asked the club not to stand in his way.

But his wages relative to performance also explains why we weren't that eager to keep him and got a new keeper in quickly.

Reina basically fecked it up for himself. Which is a shame. I'd have been reasonably satisfied with keeping him.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
He's not nearly as good as he used to be. Peaked at a young age, like Casillas, and hopefully de Gea if he is to return to Spain...

Status
Not open for further replies.