Pep's spending is insane (£941m and counting at City)

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Take Messi away and that Barca team would have been incredibly boring (even more so) and with very little spark.
You're quite possibly right, but results wise they'd have still been throughly dominant.

manc exile

Supports
City
If City had kept Mancini but spent the same amount as they have spent with Pep, I think they would've won at least the same amount of trophies and maybe the CL too.

He has spent crazy amounts.

the dressing room was in disarray in macinis last season at city, there is no way they would have won as much as they have

Zen86

You're quite possibly right, but results wise they'd have still been throughly dominant.
Debatable. They would have dominated possession but struggled for goals IMO. Tiki tala doesn’t score goals, more prevents the other team from doing so.

Fluctuation0161

the dressing room was in disarray in macinis last season at city, there is no way they would have won as much as they have
The dressing room went into disarray immediately after Pep was announced (half way through the season). It is inevitable because it was a big distraction and the players lost focus.

He was a dead man walking after Winter.

OleBoiii

Can we all agree that Pep has been very lucky with his teams and the financial support he's been given along the way? Can we also agree that his trophy haul, given the circumstance, isn't that impressive? Good. Now for some balance!

While winning the trophies with the teams he had isn't special, you can't deny that the manner in which he did it was impressive. His Barcelona will possibly go down as the best team in history. That is not only down to the players. Yes, the players should take most of the credit, but not all. His Bayern was nothing special, but he didn't make things worse either. And based on what I've heard from Bayern fans, they still seem to rate him highly and remember him fondly. Pep had a really poor start in City and had to go on a spending spree despite already having a strong core. But he's also brought consistency to the most competitive top league and broken records along the way.

Another thing worth noting: while Pep might have been lucky that his first top job was with a team as good as that Barcelona team, him getting hired in the first place was probably not based on luck. As football fans we don't know what happens behind the scenes. We underestimate the importance of a manager's personality, both in terms of management style and general personality. Did Barcelona hire Pep because he knows the club, or did they hire Pep because they know him? It's probably the latter.

Still: the 'Pep Guardiola is my idol' memes are funny, so I'm not gonna stop with that.

JustAGuest

Can we all agree that Pep has been very lucky with his teams and the financial support he's been given along the way? Can we also agree that his trophy haul, given the circumstance, isn't that impressive? Good. Now for some balance!

While winning the trophies with the teams he had isn't special, you can't deny that the manner in which he did it was impressive. His Barcelona will possibly go down as the best team in history. That is not only down to the players. Yes, the players should take most of the credit, but not all. His Bayern was nothing special, but he didn't make things worse either. And based on what I've heard from Bayern fans, they still seem to rate him highly and remember him fondly. Pep had a really poor start in City and had to go on a spending spree despite already having a strong core. But he's also brought consistency to the most competitive top league and broken records along the way.

Another thing worth noting: while Pep might have been lucky that his first top job was with a team as good as that Barcelona team, him getting hired in the first place was probably not based on luck. As football fans we don't know what happens behind the scenes. We underestimate the importance of a manager's personality, both in terms of management style and general personality. Did Barcelona hire Pep because he knows the club, or did they hire Pep because they know him? It's probably the latter.

Still: the 'Pep Guardiola is my idol' memes are funny, so I'm not gonna stop with that.
It's a shame we haven't seen him manage a club with lesser resources yet. Maybe it will happen eventually - it would be interesting to see.

manc exile

Supports
City
The dressing room went into disarray immediately after Pep was announced (half way through the season). It is inevitable because it was a big distraction and the players lost focus.

He was a dead man walking after Winter.
you are very wrong

pelligrini replaced mancini, pep arrived 3 years later

redrobed

I’ll most likely always support Utd but if I was a City fan I’d take no enjoyment from winning stuff this way. It’s just cheating.

What on earth do you think he did in Mexico and with Barca B? The very things that got him the chance to coach Barca A in the first place?
Got them promoted back to the 3rd tier, where they had been for about the past 10 years until a freak relegation to a literal farmers league of semi pros and amateurs. 2 years later they were promoted to the 2nd tier. It was the first time they'd been that low down the pyramid since the 70s. In reality the Barcelona B team Pep coached was a 2nd or 3rd tier side playing in a 4th tier league. Sound familiar?

Inter Yer Nan

“Modern football sometimes makes me sad. Nowadays there can be more focus on big name signings rather than promoting youth, and that makes me sad. I have grown up with the Barcelona method and I hope to stay true to it for the whole of my career. Why buy a striker for £50m when their is one waiting in the youth team?”

From the manager who just spent £100m on a midfielder and is openly endorsing a transfer for a striker who’ll cost more. After spending roughly £1bn in 5 years.

choccy77

Pep's the kinda guy, who would sponge off his mates claiming he's a little short of cash and then go to a 5 star hotel for dinner.

Reddevildans

Apart from foden, he has not brought through any youngsters from the academy. Not looking likely anyone breaking through this year as well. So a great chequebook manager.

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
So I wonder where Pep learned the buy it all style of coaching hmmm. I hope city end up messed too just like Barca
It’s modern day football he’s been at the top for 13 years, you gotta spend to just compete nowadays. Unless FIFA/UEFA/FA make drastic changes, I personally enjoyed the time when we had the foreign player rule policy for me was football at its peak. When you look at CL winners in 80-90 winner Liverpool, Aston Villa, Hamburg, Liverpool, Juventus, Steaua Bucuresti, Porto, PSV, Milan almost everyone had a chance.

Leonzo1

This signing is a spit in the face for Foden. Finally had his break away season being a key player in their Champions league campaign, only to have his manager AKA "Phil is the most talented player I have ever seen" go and spend £100m on his Englad team mate that plays in exactly the same position.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
It’s modern day football he’s been at the top for 13 years, you gotta spend to just compete nowadays. Unless FIFA/UEFA/FA make drastic changes, I personally enjoyed the time when we had the foreign player rule policy for me was football at its peak. When you look at CL winners in 80-90 winner Liverpool, Aston Villa, Hamburg, Liverpool, Juventus, Steaua Bucuresti, Porto, PSV, Milan almost everyone had a chance.
Well, except Everton through no fault of their own.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
This signing is a spit in the face for Foden. Finally had his break away season being a key player in their Champions league campaign, only to have his manager AKA "Phil is the most talented player I have ever seen" go and spend £100m on his Englad team mate that plays in exactly the same position.
It is City's plan - two world-class players in every position, meaning you don't really have back-up players and you can ride out any injury crisis.

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
You act like you know where both are going to play? Until the season starts we don’t know where there going to play or rather it’ll impact him or not.

Leonzo1

You act like you know where both are going to play? Until the season starts we don’t know where there going to play or rather it’ll impact him or not.
Unless Pep is going to play Grealish as a left back it's obviously going to effect him. Both are attacking midfielders / wingers, granted they could play together but suggesting Grealish's arrival won't affect Foden's minutes is ridiculous.

MinGin

It's a shame we haven't seen him manage a club with lesser resources yet. Maybe it will happen eventually - it would be interesting to see.
No way he will choose a team who have lesser resource, his tactic need top players to perform. But i agree, it would be interesting how he can turn a lesser resource team to run his idea.

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
Unless Pep is going to play Grealish as a left back it's obviously going to effect him. Both are attacking midfielders / wingers, granted they could play together but suggesting Grealish's arrival won't affect Foden's minutes is ridiculous.
I read on Reddit by another poster where Sam Lee was implying looking at what formations Pep was using in training/preseason may suggest that Jack might play centrally, which leaves the left flank for Foden open or rotating with Sterling as I said I’m not implying your wrong just none of us know how much it will impact Foden playing time until we see the season start. I think Foden will remain an important player for them next season.

I think what pisses me off the most isn't the hypocrisy, football's changed and all that and Pep was never going to stick to his political morals when bankrolled by a murderous oil-state. But why can't he accept that he's spending a shitton, stuff like this is just pathetic

Marwood

If/when they get Kane has a club broken the British transfer record twice in one window before?

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
To be fair, most managers would crumble even with that sort of money. He is good or perhaps the best at what he does with those resources just like others are better when they work with constraints.

For example, he'd never be able to accomplish what Mourinho did at Porto. It's not his scene.

Marwood

No, don't think so.

We did it year on year with Veron and Ferdinand.
No I don't think so either. Crazy if they pull it off although I'm not massively bothered as a United fan. Leaves them quite one paced I think. Just be hard work getting the ball off them.

With everybody else who think Pep just needs to give up the pauper act.

Fridge chutney

I think what pisses me off the most isn't the hypocrisy, football's changed and all that and Pep was never going to stick to his political morals when bankrolled by a murderous oil-state. But why can't he accept that he's spending a shitton, stuff like this is just pathetic

:lol:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He said that they sold players for 60mil pounds. How? When? On transfermarkt there are 9nly 3 transfers. Angelino, Harrison and one more for 38mil euros.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
So much hatred for Saint Pep in here :nervous:
It's misguided. The hatred is at the system and at the City fans who now at least need to accept their club is severely tainted.

Can't blame a manager who only has one way of working to say he's a Pep Guardiola is my idol. To him neither is true. He doesn't believe he's a fraud and he doesn't believe he's bald. And CAS agree with him.