Pep's spending is insane (£941m and counting at City)

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Will be great to see how he justifies Harry Kane next week. Maybe a new sponsorship deal!?

Winrar

Money no object there's not a better manager working in the game today. However Pep's brand of football is totally unique and requires the very best in order for it to work well.

I doubt he'd have been able to take Liverpool to the league title like Klopp did. I don't think he'd have managed to take Aberdeen past the old firm like Fergie did either. That being said I'd love him to be our manager as we do spend similar amounts to City, albeit through money we actually generate.
Would be fantastic for PSG especially with Messi over there

AshRK

I've seen Pep say this a few times now - who've they sold to make £60m?
Bet even pep wouldn't know all the player's name but they sold someone. Who cares! The point is they bought Grealish for £100m.

redrobed

I can see this turning into a 3 horse race for the title - given the sums Chelsea and City have spent to get there all the neutrals should be getting behind us for the sake of football.

Brightonian

We can’t even sell Andreas, delot and Lingard for feck all half the time. How do they pull these deals off.
Because it's a part of their business model, not an afterthought like it is for us. It's a slightly different version of what Chelsea also do very well (albeit with the addition of long strings of loans for many of their own youngsters).

It might be nice to have the revenue stream to add to our transfer kitty, but I'm not sure I want us to start treating these kids like pieces of meat the way those two clubs do. Maybe I've got red-tinted specs on, and we're just as much a soulless financial automaton as anyone else, but I think there is still evidence of a culture at United that brings through kids in the genuine expectation that they might have a chance, and treats them like human beings when they don't make it.

AshRK

Someone explain this dumb the difference. I don't understand why is so fussed about proving everyone how good his club is.

Djemba-Djemba

Someone explain this dumb the difference. I don't understand why is so fussed about proving everyone how good his club is.
Because he knows that the criticism of him, that he takes the easiest possible jobs and he's had more advantages as a manager than probably any other in history, is valid. The same way that the criticism of City, that they're state funded by human rights abusing despots and clearly fraudulent, is also valid.

It's like how the most cutting and hurtful insults you can receive are the ones with truth to them.

Fluctuation0161

Because he knows that the criticism of him, that he takes the easiest possible jobs and he's had more advantages as a manager than probably any other in history, is valid. The same way that the criticism of City, that they're state funded by human rights abusing despots and clearly fraudulent, is also valid.

It's like how the most cutting and hurtful insults you can receive are the ones with truth to them.
Yet he will wear his ribbon for other causes. Should wear a ribbon for his owners humans rights abuses.

Also, Pep in 2009.
“Modern football sometimes makes me sad. Nowadays there can be more focus on big name signings rather than promoting youth, and that makes me sad. I have grown up with the Barcelona method and I hope to stay true to it for the whole of my career. Why buy a striker for £50m when their is one waiting in the youth team?”

Hypocrite.

LoneStar

If he fails to win the CL again after spending close to a billion after 5 years, I am not sure if he can be in that tier 1 level of managers anymore.

His teams are very consistent in the league, but he tends to feck his tactics in the knockout games. Does that really make him the best coach then?

City have never spent big on a single player before, but if he gets Kane, they'd be spending 250M on two players. How long will the Sheik be happy without a CL win I wonder.

R'hllor

Ivan Ilic, didnt even know there was some Serbian kid there, also that made me check where is so called wonder kid Filip Stevanovic, he didnt even step his foot in Manchester, he is already on loan in SC Heerenveen, 2 years there, with few goals/assists, if he looks good enough on a eye and they can ship him too.

Josep Dowling

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58216727

Full quotes on what he said are here. Invariably mentions United’s spending over the years. He needs to check his facts because we rarely were the biggest spenders in Fergie‘s era. There is literally no way he can defend City’s spending especially if they get Kane. The fact his last resort is ‘prove we are breaking FFP’ when we all know the rules aren’t working, and also relaxed because of COVID is a sign of a man in denial. More reporters need to push him on this as well as the disgusting human right actions of their owners. Too many people just happy to take the gravy train of money from these parasites .

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Hypocritical twat blabbering some nonsense.

Crustanoid

fecking deluded apologist.

The BBC and other media sycophants have a lot to answer for, giving City and Plastic FC v1.0 a free pass since 2003, never questioning or criticising their behaviour or it’s impact on the game.

They’re as bad as the Super League apologists if not worse because they don’t get questioned

Strelok

Bang on.

The heat is on and imo he's never looked the sort who thrive under. He's always walked. City would fail this season, even with Kane. Mark my words. Next destination will be PSG.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58216727

Full quotes on what he said are here. Invariably mentions United’s spending over the years. He needs to check his facts because we rarely were the biggest spenders in Fergie‘s era. There is literally no way he can defend City’s spending especially if they get Kane. The fact his last resort is ‘prove we are breaking FFP’ when we all know the rules aren’t working, and also relaxed because of COVID is a sign of a man in denial. More reporters need to push him on this as well as the disgusting human right actions of their owners. Too many people just happy to take the gravy train of money from these parasites .
I had long suspected it was him spreading that myth online.

::sonny::

Angelino, Harrison, Nmecha and Ilic. They make a lot of money by shifting deadwood, sadly ... plus they've made money off the Sancho deal too.

United instead collecting dead wood and extend the contracts of unsellable players that will never play

::sonny::

United instead collecting dead wood and extend the contracts of unsellable players that will never play
At United Angelino, Harrison, Nmecha and Ilic would get a contract extension + a loan with the wage paid entirely by United (like tuanzebe)

tomaldinho1

Probably some random academy player they’ve ‘sold’ to the crowned prince for £60m. They must be licking their chops at the new FFP luxury tax idea.

RedPhil1957

At United Angelino, Harrison, Nmecha and Ilic would get a contract extension + a loan with the wage paid entirely by United (like tuanzebe)

Southampton don't take Williams because we are asking too much but we pay to loan out Tuanzebe. If your going to make up lies at least make them plausible.
If you insist on posting rubbish taken from your imagination i suggest you you move to BM or RAWK.

Zen86

They spend bucketloads acquiring young players from all around the globe without ever having the intention of playing them in the first team, farm them out on loan for a few years, and sell them on for “profit” with additional buyback and sell on clauses. It fluffs their numbers and makes them look a bit more self sufficient than they really are.

Last edited:

MDFC Manager

You do realize that the reason we give such contracts is because we can't afford to lose good young players like they lost Sancho for example? And they can afford that only because they've unlimited money to spend?

MDFC Manager

They spend bucketloads acquiring young players from all around the globe without ever having the intention of playing them in the first team, farm them out on loan for a few years, and sell them on for “profit” with additional buyback abr well in clauses. It fluffs their numbers and makes them look a bit more self sufficient than they really are.
Exactly. They splurge money at all levels. Non oil clubs can't do that.

Josep Dowling

Probably some random academy player they’ve ‘sold’ to the crowned prince for £60m. They must be licking their chops at the new FFP luxury tax idea.
Transfer Market show their current summer sales as £35m. So both Pep and Ducker are talking nonsense.

Wittmann45

Transfer Market show their current summer sales as £35m. So both Pep and Ducker are talking nonsense.
They received 10 million from the Sancho transfer as well. Maybe they are including loan fees??

EDIT: Just checked and transfermarket does not include the transfer Ducker mentioned. So if that transfer goes through, that is 10 million more

Last edited:

Josep Dowling

They received 10 million from the Sancho transfer as well. Maybe they are including loan fees??

EDIT: Just checked and transfermarket does not include the transfer Ducker mentioned. So if that transfer goes through, that is 10 million more
Seems odd they get any money for that. Didn’t he leave because his contract ended but Dortmund had to pay compensation because of the rules around training youth players? How have they managed to get a clause on sell on fees in that?

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Seems odd they get any money for that. Didn’t he leave because his contract ended but Dortmund had to pay compensation because of the rules around training youth players? How have they managed to get a clause on sell on fees in that?
Think it's a developmental fee that all clubs get when a player they developed moves. I think it's age capped.

It's more to benefit smaller clubs if a player they developed and sold gets a big transfer later on.

Infestissumam

Dortmund paid a fee for him instead of having the compensation deemed by a court, it's just less trouble that way for the clubs ... and City had a sell-on fee in there.

Pep's Suit

No, Sancho had a year left on his contract.

Ilic and Sancho put it over 50M and I think City also received few millions from Frimpong's transfer to Leverkusen few months back. Herrera, Porro and Braaf will ideally generate another 30-35M.

Obviously I don't wanna defend Grealish's transfer fee, realistically in this market he's probably worth 70M + add-ons so 100M was too much but this summer City made a lot from sales.