Pep's spending is insane (£941m and counting at City)

spiriticon

Wait, so if we add agent's fee, image rights, taxes and bonuses how much will Laporte cost again? £200 million?

iam_kramer

Absolutely bizarre the fact they pulled out of the Sanchez deal. Then a week later bid, yet again, huge amounts of money on a defender. And may have to break their transfer record for Mahrez. Twice in a week.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Personally I really don't give a shit. He has the money available and will spend it to achieve his goals, ie. winning the Premier League and Champions League. We are doing the same.

melatonin

That's not really the point though. Fine if he wants to spend money. Don't go bleating to the press as some kind of moral crusader when other teams spend big to try and keep up with a state owned club, the hypocritical prick.
non man utd fans are saying the same thing about us/mourinho though

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Pep’s nailed on to manage PSG once he’s done at City ain’t he?

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
I mean... he is.

But this thread is to bash the media narrative of Pep being a tight-wad who starts 6 youth players, so carry on.
In what way is he a genius? Genuine question.

He inherited the best club side in history, the only team in a one-club league and the richest team in the world where he buys his way out of trouble.

Go to Italy, take over AC Milan and win serie A. That would be genius. Hell, take over Liverpool and win the prem. That would be impressive. Up until now, everything he's done has been expected, so why is he hailed a genius?

Drawfull

City have been in FUT money-no-issue mode for a decade, it's not like he's that different from his immediate predecessors. Apart from the fact he's a complete hypocrite.

How he (or the media) can trash us for Sanchez, yet immediately go out and piss up 60 million on Laporte and then, following Sane's injury, even suggest spunking another 60 million plus on Mahrez is hilarious.

Of course, Pep, you 'can't spend 80 million on a transfer', but destroying defender fees is absolutely fine. Hair-splitting, overrated manager that will be found out when the money dries up. And it will.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
He did nothing genius for Bayern
I disagree. Unless you rank anything below a treble as "non-genius", in which case, feel free to skip this.

and the only impressive thing he has done at City is to spend more money in 19 months than Sir Alex did in his entire career.
Even adjusted for inflation? Because otherwise, comparing spend across 2 decades is pointless.

He is a top coach, but I genuinely think that any top manager with his backing would have got the same number of trophies he did.
Damn. Who knew that the secret to getting a massive trophy haul was just a shit-ton of money.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
The second highest spenders moaning about the highest spenders. Imagine how the rest of us feel
This logic works all the way down the league. Poor Coventry.

Since Mourinho/Pep arrived we have spent approx 25% more than Everton. City, with Mahrez would have spent approx 65% more than us.

Yes I know net spend and wages are a different story but by any scale they are blowing the rest of the league out of the water with their spending. We probably are the ones who can compete but evidently there's another level it needs to go to.

Canagel

Gonna be even sweeter when we beat them to the CL :drool:
If we did he would go out and spend even more money. They are not going away and it'll be impossible for them not to win trophies. I just pray and hope we win more.

Shark

@NotShark
All Pep does is spend. Dunno where this reputation for being a youth expert came from. Pedro is about the only player he's ever produced.

Yet to see the bald cnut get any criticism. He's such a media darling

He inherited the best club side in history, the only team in a one-club league and the richest team in the world where he buys his way out of trouble.

Go to Italy, take over AC Milan and win serie A. That would be genius. Hell, take over Liverpool and win the prem. That would be impressive. Up until now, everything he's done has been expected, so why is he hailed a genius?
To reinforce this, even fecking Mancini won the title with City. With a worse squad too, and while SAF was at United. Pep isn’t doing anything other than the expected, or maybe not even that, as the media had Pep winning the league at a canter before last season. He couldn’t do that of course, when any manager worth his salt would have had enough to do so.

Deleted member 101472

Why are people still not realising exactly why they didn’t get Sánchez???

adexkola

Supports

Definition of genius: Exceptional ability or skill in a particular subject or activity.

You'd have to be extremely biased or deliberately obtuse to think Guardiola (along with Mourinho, Simeone, and a few others) doesn't qualify as a genius in the field of football management.

TinFoil

This place aint gonna be pretty when they win the quad

El Zoido

Maybe UEFA will do something about it when their precious PSG get done by City in the CL.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
This thread is funny. Are people just intentionally blocking out that Jose moaned about us not spending enough money a month ago or something?

You'd swear it's some.. tactic that manager's use to get more funds off the board for transfers or something, no?

Nah, what am I talking about, stupid Pep!

adexkola

Supports
Is he? People keep saying it but I genuinely don't see it.
Yes. He's in the elite tier of his profession, and has managed world class sides and pushed them to elite heights performance and results wise (Barcelona and Bayern).

I'm not sure how people can watch City week in and week out and not see the impact of his work on the pitch. I guess a rebuttal question would be, who qualifies as a genius to you, that is currently active?

Massive Spanner

I disagree. Unless you rank anything below a treble as "non-genius", in which case, feel free to skip this.

Even adjusted for inflation? Because otherwise, comparing spend across 2 decades is pointless.

Damn. Who knew that the secret to getting a massive trophy haul was just a shit-ton of money.
He is a great manager, how anyone can try deny that is stupid, but being a great manager doesn't make you a genius!

As usual the truth tends to lie somewhere in between the extremes.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
If we did he would go out and spend even more money. They are not going away and it'll be impossible for them not to win trophies. I just pray and hope we win more.
They aren't going away anytime soon agreed but Pep will have his meltdown soon enough. It's going to be hilarious watching how the football media turn on him when he leaves.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Yes. He's in the elite tier of his profession, and has managed world class sides and pushed them to elite heights performance and results wise (Barcelona and Bayern).

I'm not sure how people can watch City week in and week out and not see the impact of his work on the pitch. I guess a rebuttal question would be, who qualifies as a genius to you, that is currently active?
Jose Mourinho ;)

Kostur

海尔的老板
You guys are silly suggesting he's not as good as he is.

All he needs is the best team of all time with the greatest player in the world; a team absolutely dominating their domestic league; or a team with the muscle to outspend everybody in the world throwing money out of the window at will to win things. It's not much to ask for you bitter cnuts.

adexkola

Supports
He is a great manager, how anyone can try deny that is stupid, but being a great manager doesn't make you a genius!

As usual the truth tends to lie somewhere in between the extremes.
Who is a genius then? Not trolling, I want to see who qualifies as a genius in the Caf's opinion.

Nick7

I think the argument is stupid, but he didn't push Bayern anywhere. They generally stayed at the same level they were the season before he joined.

Sandyman

But what did he do at Bayern that makes him a genius? Bayern are expected to win the title every year. They are favorites and they buy their rivals best players which increases their chance of retaining the title. Surely his failure to win the Champions League carries more weight than the unbeaten record(that was carried from the previous regime) or winning the title with most games to spare(he beat that by one game again from the previous regime).

Irrespective of whether Pep is a genius, his time at Bayern should not be seen as a genius at work.

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
I think the argument is stupid, but he didn't push Bayern anywhere. They generally stayed at the same level they were the season before he joined.
Did they not win the Champions league the year before Pep took over? That would suggest the team maybe went backwards more.

haram

If he does not win the CL now he is a failure and his legacy is damaged.

Massive Spanner

Who is a genius then? Not trolling, I want to see who qualifies as a genius in the Caf's opinion.
He might be a genius, I don't know, I don't think he has done enough to be quantified as a footballing genius yet.

Fergie was a genius, master of mind games and motivation, won the title with some average Man Utd sides etc.

Mourinho was a genius for winning the CL with Porto and to a lesser extent, with Inter.

The problem with Pep is that he's always had great sides to back him up. A true managerial genius is someone who can do it without also having the best team in the competition. He might do that in the future, though.

Tbh I feel uncomfortable using the word "genius" with football in general though, it's a sport, not Mathematics or Rocket Science!

adexkola

Supports
Jose Mourinho ;)
Yes, they're both geniuses. I'd put Simeone and Allegri and Conte up there too. Wenger was one, but seems to have fallen behind with the times. I'd like to see Sarri with Napoli for a few more seasons. Pochettino has the potential to make it up to that tier if he continues to make the right steps, either with Spurs or another team.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
He's hardly going to refuse the Abu Dhabi money, added to that they've been wanting to get him in for 5 years to start building this all conquering dynasty, it's hardly surprising that it appeals to him.
I honestly think he's going to be there a while if the money is any indicator, they've increased the spending substantially he's their man and they're going to back him to the hilt. He builds this and he'll have left a mark and the possibility of being regarded as the best of all time irrespective of any taint associated by the means.

Several decades from now nobody will care about that
, it's why things such as the ' Liverpool way ' are obsolete, the history and tradition associated didn't come cheap the only difference being when we spent in the 80s it was through our own means.

The only clubs capable of competing with them are United because of the sheer finances they generate by themselves and Chelsea if Ambramovic fancies it but I doubt that given they've just had a decade where they've won everything in football.

If it wasn't Pep it would be another manager of similar stature and ability.
I don't know anyone in the real (non-Caf) world who think he'll be that. Most people I know have the ability to differentiate between various achievements and give them a form of 'worth'.

And it's several decades since Busby, c50 years since Shankly and Stein, c40 since Paisley and Clough and yet most football fans still "care" about how they did it. That doesn't mean that their specific achievements have to be exactly repeated for a modern manager to be a great and I understand it's unlikely (though Leicester was Clough-Lite) but Peps done nothing to be deemed a great, let alone the greatest..... imho anyway.