Pep's spending is insane (£941m and counting at City)

Canagel

Did they not win the Champions league the year before Pep took over? That would suggest the team maybe went backwards more.
They were much better to watch under Heycknes. According to some Bayern fans he made them boring to watch. Not winning the CL at least once makes him a failure at Bayern. 3 times in a row out at the semi final.

The Firestarter

Inappropriate Content
Redcafe members acting butthurt about their former wet dream manager spending someone else's. Shocker.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Yes. He's in the elite tier of his profession, and has managed world class sides and pushed them to elite heights performance and results wise (Barcelona and Bayern).

I'm not sure how people can watch City week in and week out and not see the impact of his work on the pitch. I guess a rebuttal question would be, who qualifies as a genius to you, that is currently active?
His Barca team had about 4-5 if not more, stand out players if their generation, and a potential GOAT. Be more difficult for them not to put in amazing performances. He didn't push Bayern anywhere.

Again, he's done exactly what he was expected to do everywhere he's worked.

Saf kept united dominant for more than two decades, and overachieved in his final years. That's genius.

Mourinho won a CL with a team from Portugal. He's spent money where ever he's been but not to the same extent. He beat Barca with Madrid, got a treble with inter when they weren't the best side in Europe. That was genius.

Dortmund getting to a CL final, that's genius. Zidane winning two CLs on the trot, genius. fecking Raneri winning the PL with Leicester! That is genius.

Doing the unexpected is genius. Absolutely everything pep has done to date has been expected. Hes obviously a good manager, but he's always put himself in jobs where one way or another, hell most likely come out on top. Put pep in spurs, Liverpool or arsenal. Win the league with one of them, that's genius.

AR87

Who is a genius then? Not trolling, I want to see who qualifies as a genius in the Caf's opinion.
Ferguson, Mourinho and Simeone all have claims to "genius" status over Pep having won major titles despite significant economic disadvantages.

Ferguson leveraged breaking up the Scottish duopoly and winning European silverware with Aberdeen into the Manchester United job where expenses were no longer an issue. He further proved his genius by dominating the PL, adjusting to the introduction of petro dollars and rebuilding title squads many times over.

Mourinho won CL trebles with Porto and Inter. Neither club were viewed as financial powerhouses. At Inter he used a player+cash swap for Eto'o to finance his squad building and delivered a treble. Obviously Mourinho has also spent big money at Chelsea, Real and now United, but he's proven he can compete and win at the highest levels even without being among the biggest spenders.

Simeone broke up the Spanish duopoly of Barcelona and Real in La Liga and got Atletico to the CL finals twice. He will likely have the opportunity to make a step up in his career at some point to one of the bigger spending clubs when he wants.

IMO genius should be about punching above your weight and doing things in which the odds were totally stacked against you. Buying and maximizing elite talent as Pep has done throughout his career is great coaching, but personally I don't consider it genius. It's reasonable to disagree on the standards of genius.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Cheque book manager.

Probably the best cheque book manager there is, but he's a cheque book manager for sure.

Red00012

Pep “ We look weak after losing out to Utd for Sanchez”

Oil People “ Here’s 110 million to keep you going until 1st February “

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I think the argument is stupid, but he didn't push Bayern anywhere. They generally stayed at the same level they were the season before he joined.
Did they not win the Champions league the year before Pep took over? That would suggest the team maybe went backwards more.
But what did he do at Bayern that makes him a genius? Bayern are expected to win the title every year. They are favorites and they buy their rivals best players which increases their chance of retaining the title. Surely his failure to win the Champions League carries more weight than the unbeaten record(that was carried from the previous regime) or winning the title with most games to spare(he beat that by one game again from the previous regime).

Irrespective of whether Pep is a genius, his time at Bayern should not be seen as a genius at work.
It can be argued that despite failing to win the CL during his tenure at Bayern, they hit levels of performance equal to, or slightly better than what was seen under Heynekes.

The CL is a cup competition. I don't rank achievements in it half as much as I rank league accomplishments. They didn't win the CL in 3 years but in only one would I castigate Guardiola (against Madrid). Injuries doomed them against Barcelona, and if Muller hit his penalty...

But he didn't win the CL there. I think he had a successful period there overall, due to him winning 3 titles back to back, and maintaining what was established by Heynekes, and improving on some aspects. Ask Bayern fans to confirm.

He might be a genius, I don't know, I don't think he has done enough to be quantified as a footballing genius yet.

Fergie was a genius, master of mind games and motivation, won the title with some average Man Utd sides etc.

Mourinho was a genius for winning the CL with Porto and to a lesser extent, with Inter.

The problem with Pep is that he's always had great sides to back him up. A true managerial genius is someone who can do it without also having the best team in the competition. He might do that in the future, though.

Tbh I feel uncomfortable using the word "genius" with football in general though, it's a sport, not Mathematics or Rocket Science!
By your definition of genius, which is unorthodox if I may say so, Robert Di Matteo is a genius. Benitez is a genius. Your definition ignores all the context around Mourinho's win (Scholes disallowed goal, weakest set of semi-final contenders in ages) and calls him such because of a single trophy win more than a decade ago. That is nonsense. I rank Mourinho as a genius because of his exceptional defensive aptitude, and his excellent counter-attacking teams at Chelsea, Real Madrid and Inter. Not because of 2 CL wins against the odds. Anyone can win against the odds. What's Raineri then?

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Redcafe members acting butthurt about their former wet dream manager spending someone else's. Shocker.
Horrible post.

If you don't like to post here, then I can easily do that for you. No problems.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Yes, they're both geniuses. I'd put Simeone and Allegri and Conte up there too. Wenger was one, but seems to have fallen behind with the times. I'd like to see Sarri with Napoli for a few more seasons. Pochettino has the potential to make it up to that tier if he continues to make the right steps, either with Spurs or another team.
Let's try and define genius. If Wenger is a genius then is Bielsa? LVG? Emery?

For me a managerial genius requires two main things. The achievement of something completely unexpected in a positive way and sustained success at the top level. I'll give you the Barca team of Pep as fulfilling the first criteria. A lot of people though look at the players in that team at their peak and the success of managers before and after Pep and see it as something that doesn't quite fulfill that first criteria.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Ask Bayern fans to confirm.
As far as I know, Bayern's fans' opinion is divided. Some enjoyed his time there just for the sheer quality of football and tactics on display while some believe his stringent one way of playing did cost them another CL final at least. Personally, given the level of quality of Bayern's squad then, I think it was a failure on some level for Pep not to at least reach one CL final, cup competition or not, especially since league was such a pedestrian affair for them.

cyberman

There are few geniuses in world football or indeed in football history imo.
I don't know why there needs to be a list in front of Pep to argue he isn't one of them.
Imagine what Sir Alex would have accomplished if he moved to money clubs at the end of every cycle. Sir Alex without rebuilding periods would have an insane amount of accomplishments to his name.
There has to be another level of category to seperate the likes of Sir Alex and Pep.

NinjaFletch

Clearly he's a good manager, clearly he get's more out of his players than others before him have.

Clearly he's managed three clubs with huge advantages, for various reasons, over their rivals.

I think it's pretty fair to say the juries still out on his ability relative to the absolute greats.

R'hllor

Double standards all over this place :lol:, can someone in charge here stop this process which turns CAF slowly into RAWK.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Clearly he's a good manager, clearly he get's more out of his players than others before him have.

Clearly he's managed three clubs with huge advantages, for various reasons, over their rivals.

I think it's pretty fair to say the juries still out on his ability relative to the absolute greats.
Which players? Apart from maybe sterling (who brendan also got a lot out of) i do not think he has improved anyone. He has changed their whole defense and goalkeeper, Bought a new midfield and added a 37 million pound striker to probably the best striker in the league. He improved nothing.
It is simply the case of financial doping by a state run club. He has been backed like no manager has been in history of the game and no manager probably will be. Big sam would have won the league had he gotten the same backing.

Bobski

Where is the achievement in winning while spending this much? Is it supposed to be inspiring, to stir the emotions? Soulless.

Modern football is shit.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Yes. He's in the elite tier of his profession, and has managed world class sides and pushed them to elite heights performance and results wise (Barcelona and Bayern).

I'm not sure how people can watch City week in and week out and not see the impact of his work on the pitch. I guess a rebuttal question would be, who qualifies as a genius to you, that is currently active?
That's a low bar to set for calling someone a genius.

What's he done that you would say given the same resource nobody else would have been able to do?

SAF was a genius, he reinvented his sides through generation after generation and made every team more than the sum of it's parts. Jose doing what he did with Porto and Inter is a million times more impressive than anything Pep has done.

cyberman

@R'hllor
What double standards?
This forum didn't want us to spend (not even that) big on Perisic or Matic due to their age.
Posters still say we should have saved the Lindelof money for a LB and to stay away from Lukaku due to his price.
This forum also demanded we hire a DOF to curb our spending and pleaded for Tuanzebe, TFM and Perreira to get game time.
There was as much excitement for Gomes starting last week (gutted it didn't happen ) as there was for Sanchez.
Or how the biggest worry about Jose taking over was his failures with youth due to his reputation of spending big on experienced players.
So you're condescendingly talking out of your ass when you talk of Rawkish double standards on here.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Which players? Apart from maybe sterling (who brendan also got a lot out of) i do not think he has improved anyone. He has changed their whole defense and goalkeeper TWICE Bought a new midfield and added a 37 million pound striker to probably the best striker in the league. He improved nothing.
It is simply the case of financial doping by a state run club. He has been backed like no manager has been in history of the game and no manager probably will be. Big sam would have won the league had he gotten the same backing.
Fixed.

Fluctuation0161

Maybe now there will be some realistic news articles written about Chequebook Guardiola. He inherited a side already capable of winning the league but has had to spend £450m+ to get them playing well.

Member 90887

Double standards all over this place :lol:, can someone in charge here stop this process which turns CAF slowly into RAWK.
Where are you seeing double standards ? wasn't it the media and Pep himself taking the moral high ground over united these last few weeks over the Sanchez transfert ?

And didn't Pep spend 280M£ (340M£ with Mahrez) this year ? That's almost 2.5 times what we spent.

Hullyback

Supports
Liverpool FC
Reading this on the Beeb earlier really made me feel nauseous, £57m on an uncapped defender is just laughable, to go with a few more £50m Defenders who are capped yet wouldn't get a look in a few decades ago. I baulked at paying £75m for Van Dijk, who although proven somewhat in the Prem, is still not worth that and won't solve Liverpools issues anyway with a potato in goal and a clear lack of defensive coaching, we could have Maldini, Cafu, Stam and a T-Rex back there and still concede 4 to Barnsley at home.

I don't know about some of you lads but I'm really losing my interest in football gradually. I'm not worried about not competing, as a Liverpool fan I'm kinda used to that throughout my adult years. And it's not so much the spending that bothers me either, as long as clubs are doing it because they're generating the money, not shadily skimming it all from somewhere. Teams like City and PSG are ruining the game in my opinion, not only just throwing money around like it's confetti but artificially inflating the market for everyone else too. Who'd have thought we'd see a day when dross like Stones were being sold for £50m and even a semi-decent striker is valued around £100m, or 18 year olds going for the price of 4 peak Zidanes.

I'm a rugby league season ticket holder, which is £160, pretty much what I pay for a match at Anfield when travel and food is added in - I honestly think it's time to stop following the beautiful game that has mercenaries on £350k per week and more until the bubble bursts.

Good luck to you lads competing with City, I should hate you all being LFC but it's a rivalry with some respect, at least United have pretty much always done things the right way and success has been earned over generations of development and support so I'd reluctantly prefer seeing you halt them than Chelstovski (Arse and Spurs have no chance). Watching all these tinpot teams buying their way to success like a rich kid on UT is getting more and more sickening, especially when my own team is following suit with silly prices for Southampton players. I remember the day £20m seemed extortionate for Lovren, be lucky to get a rotation player for that now.