Pep's spending is insane (£941m and counting at City)

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
This used to be kind of true but i think he learnt his lesson from the Liverpool debacle. Last season vs spurs they were unlucky where as in the seasons before his team often got embarrassed. The adjustments he mad vs pool last season were clear to see and eventually worked.
He definitely changed his approach to Liverpool last season yeah.
Again, I didn't mean the same about Spurs though. Just that he can't dominate games in the CL so struggles.

nore1975

Supports
Liverpool
Any discussion about Man City has to be against a backdrop of unease at their finances and sources of. That being said Pep has done a brilliant job at MC. United have shown that spending hundreds of millions doesn't guarantee you the title. It's how you spend it. City's recruitment particularly since Pep came in was superb. Mancini also deserves massive credit for most of his signings. Pellegrini deserves credit for Sterling, DeBruyne and to a lesser extent Otamendi.
To win all three domestic trophies was a stunning achievement. Won't be seen in the context it should be due to questions over the ethics of the finance at the club. If he doesn't win the Champions League then he will seen as having come up short despite his trophy haul to date at MC.

Bearded One

People forget about Nolito and Bravo. He had infinite funds so if a transfer didnt work he spent again. He's now got 2 starting 11's. And he's still signing players.
I recall Nolito tearing us a new one when we met. I think the game ended 2-1 in their favour and Rooney had a penalty shout. Nolito was doing fine until Sane came good and took his place on the left, he fell out with the manager and left. Still yet he cost like £14m. Similarly Bravo cost about the same amount. No one would really mind if we wasted £14m to £16m. We dodn't even need to buy Fred for example.

If we had spent our funds well we'll have close to two starting elevens now. Guess what, we hardly have one now.

Fluctuation0161

I recall Nolito tearing us a new one when we met. I think the game ended 2-1 in their favour and Rooney had a penalty shout. Nolito was doing fine until Sane came good and took his place on the left, he fell out with the manager and left. Still yet he cost like £14m. Similarly Bravo cost about the same amount. No one would really mind if we wasted £14m to £16m. We dodn't even need to buy Fred for example.

If we had spent our funds well we'll have close to two starting elevens now. Guess what, we hardly have one now.
I think this is why United fans struggle to see this rationally. Because of the gross mismanagement of our team from the top down. But we have different significantly less than City. Also, reading Der Spiegel it seems City are good at hiding alot of their spend. In particular wages and payoffs.

Imagine Jose arrived and we already had Aguero, KDB, Sterling, David Silva, Kompany etc. Most of those being premier league winners, having played together and gelled for a few years. It is s starting point miles ahead of where we were at the time.
Then imagine breaking all premiership spending records after that. It's a ridiculous advantage.

Bearded One

I think this is why United fans struggle to see this rationally. Because of the gross mismanagement of our team from the top down. But we have different significantly less than City. Also, reading Der Spiegel it seems City are good at hiding alot of their spend. In particular wages and payoffs.

Imagine Jose arrived and we already had Aguero, KDB, Sterling, David Silva, Kompany etc. Most of those being premier league winners, having played together and gelled for a few years. It is s starting point miles ahead of where we were at the time.
Then imagine breaking all premiership spending records after that. It's a ridiculous advantage.
This is revisionism at its best. Kompany couldn't pay two games in a row, Sterling was a laughing stock. The caf actually rated Martial ahead of Sterling. Navas was even a better option than him at the time.

I'll give you Aguero but they had a problem with playing Silva and KDB - two number 10s and had to always shift one wide reducing the influence of the player. It was a very imbalanced team.

I know they were the better team but it wasn't night and day compared to what it is now. The point is that with spending its easier to make fatal mistakes and someone of Jose's standing and ilk spent millions more compared to his counterparts lower than him and still left us a dysfunctional team.

Even Jose in his prime could not do as much in Real Madrid as much as he did in smaller clubs like Porto and Inter with world class stars all over the place. So there's that. Its one thing to win in a conducive atmosphere where you have time to learn and improve and another to win in a pressured environment where insant success is demanded all the time.

RooneyLegend

You say all of this but forget to mention that Pool are actually taking it to them and are far less affluent. We've been in the position of being by far the richest club in the league but Arsenal still took it to us for a long period of time. Chelsea came by with mega funds and yet we managed to wrestle control back despite not having the same funds. Honestly, this topic wouldnt be half important of we had our ducks in a row.

We have more than enough money to build a competitive side at any level but strangely, we dont even get close. Incompetent manager after incompetent manager have waster club resources and left us in despair.

Fluctuation0161

This is revisionism at its best. Kompany couldn't pay two games in a row, Sterling was a laughing stock. The caf actually rated Martial ahead of Sterling. Navas was even a better option than him at the time.

I'll give you Aguero but they had a problem with playing Silva and KDB - two number 10s and had to always shift one wide reducing the influence of the player. It was a very imbalanced team.

I know they were the better team but it wasn't night and day compared to what it is now. The point is that with spending its easier to make fatal mistakes and someone of Jose's standing and ilk spent millions more compared to his counterparts lower than him and still left us a dysfunctional team.

Even Jose in his prime could not do as much in Real Madrid as much as he did in smaller clubs like Porto and Inter with world class stars all over the place. So there's that. Its one thing to win in a conducive atmosphere where you have time to learn and improve and another to win in a pressured environment where insant success is demanded all the time.
Ha! Revisionism claimed by a revisionist, funny.

Sterling the most expensive English player in history at the time.

Aguero, Silva, Kompany - premier league winners. Yes Kompany was getting older but he was their leader and vital when he played. Remember his influence and goal last season?

KDB - top quality player.

It was most definitely night and day comparison between United first 11 and City first 11 when Pep took over.

Just to be clear, this is in no way a defence of Jose Mourinho. There's much to criticise. But he inherited less and spent less than Pep.

If anything it's a defence of Klopp (it saddens me to say!). He has managed with much less resources than Pep, if City hadn't been financially doping he would have won more trophies instead of Pep.

Fluctuation0161

You say all of this but forget to mention that Pool are actually taking it to them and are far less affluent. We've been in the position of being by far the richest club in the league but Arsenal still took it to us for a long period of time. Chelsea came by with mega funds and yet we managed to wrestle control back despite not having the same funds. Honestly, this topic wouldnt be half important of we had our ducks in a row.

We have more than enough money to build a competitive side at any level but strangely, we dont even get close. Incompetent manager after incompetent manager have waster club resources and left us in despair.
I am not defending United and their terrible senior management. Merely pointing out the fact that without financial doping and breaking premier league spending records, Pep would not have succeeded.

I'm highly critical of the United board while simultaneously seeing the obvious advantage City have with unlimited spending.

See my previous post. The reply to bearded one.

Kemizee

We usualy underrate Pep but forget that he too had to start from somewhere and never looked back from there. We want to play down his time at Barca and act like the trophies he won there do not count - but they do. Yes people like Di Matteo won UCL but what happened to him afterwards? Ancelloti wouldn't go to Napoli if Bayern didn't do away with him. This was Pep's successor.

Pep's naiveness always gets exposed in CL knockout stages and that I believe is the valid downside to his abilities/achievements but claims that he needs to also cut it at Burnley are BS.

His consistency at the top level is unrivalled and this is true when you consider that City, Bayern and Barca have had managers before and after him. I love Klopp and I think he is one of the very best in the world but I also know that spending/club prestige puts you on a very risky lane that you have little margin for error and little pardon claims. Klopp had to build for 3 years. Prestigious Man United, Real, Barca or money spraying City wouldn't put up with that, ever. I just think these are valid matters to consider too.

It is for this reason I feel like managers like Pochettino still have a lot to proove to get into that bracket. I see Spurs like a comfort zone for him. Can he cut it at a club where expectations are over the roof rather than at a place where he is assured of his position if he achieves a not-so stretching target with a team he has moulded for a fair few years? I think he can do it at Real but my position needs validating too.
Really? What have we been putting up with for the last 6 years? Is it not rebuild and transition? Real and Barca I understand, what Real did this Summer is what a rebuild looks like and they certainly don't put up with mediocrity but to say that we are in that same breath is just not true.

Jambalaya

I really do do not care.We should clean in front our house first and ask question who did buy so many shitty players.Pep is winning and i doubt that City fans care what did he spend.

RooneyLegend

I am not defending United and their terrible senior management. Merely pointing out the fact that without financial doping and breaking premier league spending records, Pep would not have succeeded.
He was successful well before he managed City so that doesn't hold water. Mind you they haven't had to spend all the money they have.

RooneyLegend

He definitely changed his approach to Liverpool last season yeah.
Again, I didn't mean the same about Spurs though. Just that he can't dominate games in the CL so struggles.
He's clearly taking notes so that's pretty much bound to improve. At Bayern he seemed reluctant to make changes, these days he does.

cyberman

Pep always made changes though. That's not a new approach, he's tried to change it up in Europe numerous times and ballsed it up.

Bearded One

Aguero, Silva, Kompany - premier league winners. Yes Kompany was getting older but he was their leader and vital when he played. Remember his influence and goal last season?

It was most definitely night and day comparison between United first 11 and City first 11 when Pep took over.

Just to be clear, this is in no way a defence of Jose Mourinho. There's much to criticise. But he inherited less and spent less than Pep.

If anything it's a defence of Klopp (it saddens me to say!). He has managed with much less resources than Pep, if City hadn't been financially doping he would have won more trophies instead of Pep.
Its only with hindsight would you be able to look at both teams and say it was night and day. City were very light in midfield which informed their pursuit of Pogba. We got Pogba and they had to use attackers as midfielders. Defence was non existent. Yes they had a better attack but still it was such an imbalaned team I remember so well.

One other thing they had over and above us was names. They had big names who were well past it. Yaya comes to mind who was their game changer in previous years but was on his last legs. Same with the likes of Zabaleta who was a big name for them as well without the corresponding impact on the field. Kompany couldn't play two matches in a row.

This is a rough idea of both team's starting 11 going into the season:

De Gea
Valencia Smalling Bailly Shaw
Fellaini
Herrera Pogba
Rooney Ibrahimovic Martial

Bravo
Zabaleta Otamendi Stones Clichy
Fernandinho Yaya
Sterling KDB Silva
Aguero
My pick from th bunch would be:

De Gea
Valencia Otamendi Bailly Shaw
Fernandinho
KDB Pogba
Silva
Aguero Martial​

I love Klopp but I recall that he turned down an offer from Abrahmovic to work at Chelsea after his last season at BVB saying that he needed an environment where he could have enough time to learn and subsequently deliver. Its a different animal when league trophies along with doubles, trebles and quadruples is demanded instantly. Its a different conversation.

As I highlighted earlier, even Jose in his pomp couldn't achieve as much as he did in Madrid managing smaller clubs. Merely stating that if he had more resources he'd do better than Pep is an assumption and doesn't factor in the weight of expectation usually attached to heavy investments.

Tostao_80

More revisionism. Raheem Sterling at the time was merely a promising young footballer, not the great player we see now. I remember Liverpool fans at the time saying he wasnt even worth the 50 million. They wouldn't say the same now.

Bearded One

No doubt, if he has the best players in the league (which he always has). He can win trophies.

He certainly picks his "challenges" well.
Certainly he picks his challenges well just like Zidane and just like Klopp who wouldn't go to Chelsea that were notorious for sacking their managers every year or every other year. Would you blame them though? I wouldn't do otherwise if I had a long line of clubs begging to sign me up.

Why did Jose rock up at United? That was the best offer he could get at the time not like he had a long list of clubds waiting to sign him up.

Bearded One

More revisionism. Raheem Sterling at the time was merely a promising young footballer, not the great player we see now. I remember Liverpool fans at the time saying he wasnt even worth the 50 million. They wouldn't say the same now.
Thanks for that input. I still rememer how much City were derided on this board. Some people thought there wasn't much at all between Ibe and Sterling.

Skills

Snitch

Mourinho would've spent his 3 years trying to replace Sterling and De Bruyne.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich

Mourinho once had DeBruyne and we saw how that went
Mata wasnt much different from D.Silva when Mourino met him at Chelsea, he was Chelsea's best player and instantly benched by Mourinho. So what tells us the same fate won't have met D.Silva?
If Pep inherited Mata, Maybe we would be imagining what If Pep would have been dominant if he inherited a scrub like Silva
Sterling? The same fragile Sterling? Can he track a defender? See how it went with Salah a similar player under Mourinho. Mourinho even threw Hazard under the bus for not tracking defenders

Kompany was a player Mourinho could like but was barely fit
Aguero. Don't know how a 5ft8 striker who cant win headers from long balls will fit. Aguero is no Drogba Lukaku Zlatan or Milito

AshRK

I saw RVP’s finish. Our last truly brilliant player imo. Zlatan didn’t quite reach the same heights for us. RVP’s goals where all insane in 2013 too!

Gomez seriously needs to be brought on! We should put a sneaky bid in for Foden too if it continues. There seems to be a mutual respect though for now of not getting in each other’s way.

Pep’s tactics have improved the England side so much just by association. The City players always impress. Super professional compared to some of ours.

Sterling is as good as Neymar atm. It’s kind of awesome to have a player that good playing for England. I can see him getting close to the Ballon D’Or at some point since City are enevitably gonna won the CL next few seasons you’d expect.
WTF did I just read.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Mourinho spent at a time when the market was not crazy. Mou spent 400M in 3yrs at Chelsea around the time balon dor like Shevy Dinho Nedved were going for 30M

VJ1762

Don't know why Sir Alex is not in that list. He spent about 791M euros apparently. That would put him about 9th on that list. Also, if you subtract the Neymar transfer, emery drops significantly down that list.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
To be fair, if he had been at United and spent those amounts, which he probably would have, we wouldn't have complained.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Don't know why Sir Alex is not in that list. He spent about 791M euros apparently. That would put him about 9th on that list. Also, if you subtract the Neymar transfer, emery drops significantly down that list.
around 770mil €

cyberman

So what does that work out at for Pep?120m per season on already fantastic squads?

Son

WTF did I just read.
I agree the Foden thing is a pipe dream, CIty’s owners would rather burn £100 million than sell us their best youth player. The England thing is true though. Having Pep players around it is good for our national side.

Sterling has been better than Neymar for the past 2 season though on the whole... I say this as someone who rated Neymar as the 3rd best player in the world - 6 months into him joining PSG. He was brilliant at first in Liga 1 then he just stopped playing.

Since then... Too many injuries and dramas, not enough football. Sterling has been ripping up the hardest league on a weekly basis. Neymar has a lot more to prove than Sterling in his current state.

Man City or PSG could win the CL this season so we’ll see won’t we who comes out on top.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City

This might be why the likes of Real and Barca are never in for their best players.

Pep has done well with the fortune he's spent, but their successes is still artificial and shady.

If it weren't for the fact that it's, you know, Liverpool, I'd back whoever City come up against in the league title race.

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
97 fecking players :eek:
That's most likely including all these unknown young teens that had nothing to do with the first team but club bought, but counted as transfers when he was there, as is most managers on there. He ne