Pep's spending is insane (£941m and counting at City)

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Pellegrini or Mancini would have achieved that too with 800m extra to spend, no?
Don't think any other active manager could have beaten Liverpool to the title last season, certainly not Pellegrini or Mancini.

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
He has to rebuild their terrible defense.

If Real Madrid smash them things could turn ugly as the domestic cups wont gloss over this season.
He has to figure out a starting XI before rebuilding anything. 4 seasons in and he still doesnt know what his strongest XI is a few players yes but overall squad no.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
It’s an average performance on that spend. Two titles and no CL isn’t what the owners would have envisioned when they hired him.

As others have said, Pellegrini and Mancini also won league titles.

This season is a disaster and a loss to Real would compound that. People love him, but to start with the squad that he did, spend as recklessly as he has, and be in this position 4 years on. It’s not great.

The Boogeyman

Supports
Liverpool
It’s an average performance on that spend. Two titles and no CL isn’t what the owners would have envisioned when they hired him.

This season is a disaster and a loss to Real would compound that. People love him, but to start with the squad that he did, spend as recklessly as he has, and be in this position 4 years on. It’s not great.
Champions League is all that really matters for them this year. The outlook is not great there, but this season won't be a disaster until they're eliminated from that competition.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Well he spent around 670m pounds no sure where the 800 is coming from unless you go by dollar value. Second Mancini and Pelle did spend a lot they spent in an era where they got Aguero for 30M and Silva for 20M.
Read the whole conversation. The discussion was always in Euros.

The Boogeyman

Supports
Liverpool
He has to figure out a starting XI before rebuilding anything. 4 seasons in and he still doesnt know what his strongest XI is a few players yes but overall squad no.
That's the downside of having such great depth. He has to rotate players to keep everyone happy. It's great for maintaining success across the season and in domestic cups, but problematic when facing elite competition in knockout rounds.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Don't think any other active manager could have beaten Liverpool to the title last season, certainly not Pellegrini or Mancini.
So? It would have been one season. Pep has done feck all this season under the same intensity. The point being made was how much different has it been firing Pellegrini in trophy terms (not style or number of points term).

Member 101269

Pep in a competitive league and no plan B, even with spending.. isn’t all that..

Maluco

Champions League is all that really matters for them this year. The outlook is not great there, but this season won't be a disaster until they're eliminated from that competition.
I agree mate, but can you see them winning that competition the way they are playing? I would be shocked to see them in the semis tbh.

This isn’t just a bad title defence, they are not running or pressing as much and look laboured at times. It’s not the same City team and a lot of their transfers just haven’t come off and have failed to refresh the squad with the same level of quality.

Fts 74

Its really strange how basically the same team who were brilliant for the previous 2 seasons have tailed off so badly .

Is it lack of hunger from the players or has Pep burned them out.

Even though he's spent silly money, his most productive players were there before he came De Bryne, Sterling Aguero, Fernandinho.

Out of all the players he's bought, i'd say Benardo, Sane, Laporte and Ederson have been a success.

Still a very good team when firing but fear factor has gone, just shows Fergie was right after 3/4 seasons you need to start again, be interesting to see if St Pep has the stomach for it if they don't win CL this season.

TheReligion

Abusive
Isn't United's net spend now bigger than City's since the 'Guardiola' era after the Fernandes deal? So, not sure if this should be the biggest take on it...
Nah it's not. Anyway not sure why the barometer is net spend. Look at the sheer volume of players pep has signed. He's been at the club years now and still can't get it right. Embarrassing.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Let's not dip too deep in the revisionism locker.

Pellegrini and Mancini's league wins were nowhere near the level of class Pep's lot showed.
They had the media absolutely drooling, which the former two never did.

Maluco

Let's not dip too deep in the revisionism locker.

Pellegrini and Mancini's league wins were nowhere near the level of class Pep's lot showed.
They had the media absolutely drooling, which the former two never did.
Could the former managers replace Sane with Mahrez off the bench (60 million pounds) or have four 50 million full backs on the books?

He was expected to have too much for every other team in the league when you are talking about that level of spending.

That doesn’t even cover the multitude of advantages that he has over the league, including the fact that the club prepared for his arrival for years and dope financially to pay their massive squads hidden wages.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Isn't United's net spend now bigger than City's since the 'Guardiola' era after the Fernandes deal? So, not sure if this should be the biggest take on it...
Under 4 different managers, with no coherent plan.

Had we got the right man in after SAF, whether Jose, Pep or Klopp and a proper plan, then we wouldn't be in this mess.

Or Zidane, for that matter.

Last edited:

Paul_Scholes18

Its really strange how basically the same team who were brilliant for the previous 2 seasons have tailed off so badly .

Even though he's spent silly money, his most productive players were there before he came De Bryne, Sterling Aguero, Fernandinho.

Out of all the players he's bought, i'd say Benardo, Sane, Laporte and Ederson have been a success.

Still a very good team when firing but fear factor has gone, just shows Fergie was right after 3/4 seasons you need to start again, be interesting to see if St Pep has the stomach for it if they don't win CL this season.
It is quite strange in some ways. Last year they didn't have De Bruyne and still won so much.
Aguero when playing has been scoring even more goals this season per game.
Think Jesus has been better too and the same can be said about Mahrez.
Sane injury hurt them, but he probably only started half the games.
Sterling worse too although he has still scored a decent amount. Him missing so many chances though hurt them a lot.

Defending is still the biggest problem this season. Laporte injury is a big factor, but Kompany is the bigger one. Having a leader in defense and in the squad can help so much with the defensive organization. Also I think his mentality and drive helped the team get the narrow wins when needed.
He is not easy to replace, but Pep should have maybe looked for a commanding central defender in the market.

cyberman

A team with that spend needs more than a 2 year cycle. Hell be as bad as Jose with this 3 year tale if he doesnt regroup for next season.

el3mel

Walker can also be considered a success I believe. Helped them win the 2 titles.

b20times

I think pep and City will blow everyone out the water after they got found not guilty of the accusations.

RoyH1

I think pep and City will blow everyone out the water after they got found not guilty of the accusations.
In market spending, sure. Abu Dhabi has a lot more natural gas to sell to finance a couple of new fullbacks for Pep.

tomaldinho1

Exactly. The hard truth is he is yet to build a team anywhere near as good as his Barca team & whilst obviously he has won trophies at Bayern & City - he has kind of won what you'd expect, you could even say he's under performed at City although I guess a lot rests on if they can salvage anything from this season's CL. He is the highest spending manager in the PL (he surely is highest spending in history at one club?) and in four years has won 2 titles & an FA cup. Whilst Mancini or Pellegrini might not have scored as many goals with their teams or played such entertaining football etc etc you could argue there's every chance they might have actually won more trophies particularly given the state of the PL these last few years.

Lentwood

This Man City side are inferior to the side who beat us to the title on the last day in 2012/13(?) in my opinion.

I don’t care about who got how many points or whatever, that team had a toughness to it and some real leaders.

This team seems a bit “meh” to me. Capable of being irresistible but so predictable and one dimensional.

Daonico

Exactly. The hard truth is he is yet to build a team anywhere near as good as his Barca team & whilst obviously he has won trophies at Bayern & City - he has kind of won what you'd expect, you could even say he's under performed at City although I guess a lot rests on if they can salvage anything from this season's CL. He is the highest spending manager in the PL (he surely is highest spending in history at one club?) and in four years has won 2 titles & an FA cup. Whilst Mancini or Pellegrini might not have scored as many goals with their teams or played such entertaining football etc etc you could argue there's every chance they might have actually won more trophies particularly given the state of the PL these last few years.
I am totally convinced he has underachived at both bayern and city. He needs to win the champions league, I am surprised there isn't talk of him being sacked if they don't.

His Barca team was something special, we can argue how much of it was his merit, but either way, he was a part of that amazing team... However, after that, I haven't been impressed at all with him as a manager... his next great achievement can be winning the league 1 with PSG :rolleyes:
I think they have a good chance in the champions though, I don't think there is any clear candidate there.

Reactions: Invictus

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
To think he's still being lauded as a promoter of youth talent all based on nothing more than a convenient set of events due to his time at Barca through the then amazing production line at La Masia .

It's nothing more than a fallacy. He'll buy out of trouble no differently to that of the Miserable One.

Its in this particular area of his coaching where the 'fraud' tag has justification.

So, £300 million ? No wonder we're now getting more and more youth players rejecting the advances of the City's cringey titled : Elite Development Squad.

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular
Pep isn't being hired just to win trophies, offcourse winning is very important but he's hired because of the kind of football be makes his teams play. That's the difference between him and other coaches who also win trophies.

At this point, those who are fans of his won't change their opinion about him (as a coach) because what's important to them is the quality of the football his teams play, and those who aren't fans of his and think he's overrated won't also change their minds because they'll talk about how he hasn't won the CL after Barca, how he's spent a lot and how he's supposed to coach a team like Watford to prove that he's great (wonder why any coach who has all the big teams willing to recruit him will do that though).

IMO, if he leaves City tomorrow, he'll have almost every club willing to recruit him.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Pep isn't being hired just to win trophies, offcourse winning is very important but he's hired because of the kind of football be makes his teams play. That's the difference between him and other coaches who also win trophies.

At this point, those who are fans of his won't change their opinion about him (as a coach) because what's important to them is the quality of the football his teams play, and those who aren't fans of his and think he's overrated won't also change their minds because they'll talk about how he hasn't won the CL after Barca, how he's spent a lot and how he's supposed to coach a team like Watford to prove that he's great (wonder why any coach who has all the big teams willing to recruit him will do that though).

IMO, if he leaves City tomorrow, he'll have almost every club willing to recruit him.
I'm a fan of his and I'm starting to change my opinion of him. I still think he's a great coach, but it makes me wonder what other good coaches would be able to achieve if they had City's funds at their disposal.

I'm a fan of his and I'm starting to change my opinion of him. I still think he's a great coach, but it makes me wonder what other good coaches would be able to achieve if they had City's funds at their disposal.
He’s had the most favourable conditions of any manager, perhaps ever.

Has the greatest player of all time, alongside Xavi and Iniesta. Goes to Bayern who win the league 9/10 years. Then goes to city who had clearly been buying players in anticipation of him arriving and have spend a phenomenal amount of money.

Not denying he’s not a great coach, but he’s certainly had a lot of assistance.

GorgeousGeorge

If you look at ALL of Peps signings for City, you could easily make the case that none of them bar Laporte and Sane (sold) have been that great, although he’s brought a great squad for depth (unintentionally thinking they were first XL players) It’s been the spine of Silva, Aguro, De Bruyne, Fernandinho and Kompany that made them so special (which is coming to an end and in my view will not be replicated for some time)

5/10 rating for me

Zen

He's too smart for his own good..... and it all started at Barca. Unless you are Xavi or Messi. You've probably been player out of your comfort zone by him for very very little reason, though occasional success individual and it's undoubtable cost him actually managerial honours (most specificall - more CL's).

I mean he's most monumental oddity .... Chelsea 2012 .... Fabregas actually in midfield, but Iniesta shifted wide, Sanchez up top?, a back 3? You know, stuff like this just looks bonkers. No wonder they were on his back so much that year, theres total football and total delusion. I dunno, he's a madman, he still does the same things now and he most certainly did it to even zanier levels at Bayern. He completely overcomplicates in the CL some times ... and well it's led to a lot of failure, it's no surprise both his titles were won via 4-3-3.

krautrøck

Supports
FC Bayer 05 Uerdingen
I mean he's most monumental oddity .... Chelsea 2012 .... Fabregas actually in midfield, but Iniesta shifted wide, Sanchez up top?, a back 3? You know, stuff like this just looks bonkers. No wonder they were on his back so much that year, theres total football and total delusion. I dunno, he's a madman, he still does the same things now and he most certainly did it to even zanier levels at Bayern. He completely overcomplicates in the CL some times ... and well it's led to a lot of failure, it's no surprise both his titles were won via 4-3-3.
He's basically Mr. Burns in Homer at the Bat.

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular
Like i said, other coaches might have won as much or maybe more, but non of them would have made the teams he coached play and win the way he does and that is one of the major reasons why almost every team that can afford him will still want him if he leaves City tomorrow. And that reason i feel is really being overlooked by a lot of people that don't like him as a coach or feel he's overrated.

He’s had the most favourable conditions of any manager, perhaps ever.

Has the greatest player of all time, alongside Xavi and Iniesta. Goes to Bayern who win the league 9/10 years. Then goes to city who had clearly been buying players in anticipation of him arriving and have spend a phenomenal amount of money.

Not denying he’s not a great coach, but he’s certainly had a lot of assistance.
Messi was already the undisputed best player in the world when he arrived? That Barcelona team (that has since then been called the best team ever by a lot of people because of how he made them play) was already great before Pep arrived? That's basically re-writting history.
Pellegrini and Mancini had resources at City too, but you never hear their names come up in the discussion of the best coaches ever while Pep's name does and there's a reason for that.

If you look at ALL of Peps signings for City, you could easily make the case that none of them bar Laporte and Sane (sold) have been that great, although he’s brought a great squad for depth (unintentionally thinking they were first XL players) It’s been the spine of Silva, Aguro, De Bruyne, Fernandinho and Kompany that made them so special (which is coming to an end and in my view will not be replicated for some time)

5/10 rating for me
Having those players is one thing, using them the way he's done (especially the Silva-Debryune duo) is another thing and that's what IMO you're underrating. Besides, Kompany didn't feature much under Pep except for the 2nd half of last season.

Like i said, other coaches might have won as much or maybe more, but non of them would have made the teams he coached play and win the way he does and that is one of the major reasons why almost every team that can afford him will still want him if he leaves City tomorrow. And that reason i feel is really being overlooked by a lot of people that don't like him as a coach or feel he's overrated.

Messi was already the undisputed best player in the world when he arrived? That Barcelona team (that has since then been called the best team ever by a lot of people because of how he made them play) was already great before Pep arrived? That's basically re-writting history.
Pellegrini and Mancini had resources at City too, but you never hear their names come up in the discussion of the best coaches ever while Pep's name does and there's a reason for that.

Having those players is one thing, using them the way he's done (especially the Silva-Debryune duo) is another thing and that's what IMO you're underrating. Besides, Kompany didn't feature much under Pep except for the 2nd half of last season.
Fanboi alert!

I didn’t say he wasn’t a Great coach. But bloody he’ll, he’s had more help than probably any manager in the history of the game.

gorky_utd

Most overrated coach in the world. Sure he plays nice football with best players in the league but I am yet to see a plan b if his team is countered properly. Done nothing in cl with bayern and hopefully city. Horrible transfer spending at city which I think no other club could afford. A more sophisticated version of Brendan Rodgers.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
When you look at the struggles of both Pep and Jose in recent years, it really does put into perspective Ferguson's achievement of staying on top for all those years. Jose is facing the concept of irrelevancy in the modern era, while Pep is having to spend mega bucks on the perfect team in order to simply compete. Fergie was able to transcend decades, scarcely missing a step along the way.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
He's too smart for his own good..... and it all started at Barca. Unless you are Xavi or Messi. You've probably been player out of your comfort zone by him for very very little reason, though occasional success individual and it's undoubtable cost him actually managerial honours (most specificall - more CL's).

So, according to you, only CLs are "actual managerial honours"?

Well, seeing as this is a United-forum and all, feel free to call Ferguson and a fraud then, he only won two actual trophies, i guess.