Pep's spending is insane (£941m and counting at City)

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
It's not easy to win CL. As a Chelsea fan I knew it how hard it could be. Even after so much investment from roman in playing staff,one lucky goal,one mistake from defender,one shocking decision from referee you won't be in tournament to rectify it.

The greatest manager of all time SAF waited for decade to get his hand on cl trophy.Mourinho one of the best in 2000s failed to win it by managing two great teams in that era namely Chelsea and real Madrid but won with porto and inter.

It's not a shame for pep if he failed to win CL never ever again. His teams won pl thrice in 5 five years. If he obsessed with winning the cl it will become more hard in my opinion. The spending justified with his trophy haul already for city but hope it will stay that way he never win it without messi.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Since succeeding Manuel Pellegrini in 2016, Guardiola has spent in excess of £750m ($1bn) on new players, starting with Ilkay Gundogan, who arrived for around £20m ($28m).

Spin it all you like Mark, his spending has been fecking outrageous.
It's a unique situation at City. Chuck enough money at the problems and enough of it will work out for you to succeed given you're a competently coached football team. So you can spend a fortune in CBs and fullbacks buying a bad apple or two, as long as a few of them have a good season which is by the law of averages, pretty likely. Can't get the best out of Sterling? Mahrez or Gundogan who you couldn't get the best out of previously will eventually perform. Absolutely luxury to have as a manager.

krentz

Guardiola will never work at a not big club because all big clubs want him, no coach has as much prestige.

Guardiola ultimately makes teams reach their highest technical level possible, but to play the amazing football he makes his teams play, he still needs amazing players.

Also recommend this article of deep tactical analysis, explaining Guardiola's brilliance.

https://spielverlagerung.com/2021/03/22/how-guardiola-3-2-2-3-ultimately-solved-the-defending-meta/

When did Ferguson or Klopp do a miracle? Miracle for me is Leicester winning the PL in 2016. They won the UCL with surely great teams too.
Ever heard Fergie's Aberdeen or Klopp's Dortmund?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
When did Ferguson or Klopp do a miracle? Miracle for me is Leicester winning the PL in 2016. They won the UCL with surely great teams too.
I hope someone pointed out SAF's Aberdeen career and also Klopp winning with Dortmund when they were average/midtable before Klopp.

How far back do you go, what's the net spend over the last 10, 15 or 20 years?

Fact is in the last three seasons City's net spend has not been anywhere as high as made out. Using spending from 5 years ago as some sort of evidence what they will spend this summer instead of recent windows is hilarious.
Well when discussing Pep’s spending you clearly go back to when he joined the club.
Forgive us for not praising him for “chilling down” for a season or two whilst still spending massive sums on squad players like Ake, all this after stocking his squad with 1 billion euros worth of his own signings. Adding to a squad that already included Silva, Aguero, KDB, Stirling and Kompany.

We’ll see what happens this Summer, but with Aguero leaving it points to being business as usual and putting Pep over the 1 billion pound mark since joining.

But sure, let’s all keep pretending as the pundits do, that City are in someway playing the same game as everyone else.

Bob Rivers

Supports
Chelsea
Man City sold Angelino to PSV in the 2018/2019 season for £5m. They signed him back the year after which again has no relevance for the previous season.

Your post about Matondo just backs me up further about using transfermarkt, they don't include that in City's transfer income, yet they include them signing players at 18 such as Palaserva who was signed for the under 23s.

2018-2019 this was City transfers.

In
Mahrez - £60m
Knight - £700K
Sandler - £2.6m
Bazunu - £420K
Arzani - £800K
Itakura - £900K
Palaversa - £7m
Total = £72.42m

Out

Angelino - £5m
Maffeo - £8.8m
Kayode - £3m
Gunn - £13.5m
Matondo - £11m
Diaz - £15.5m
Hart - £3.5m
Celina - £3m
Kongolo - £750K
Denayer - £9m
Total = £73.05m

Also Diaz/Denayer deals had add ons so total figures were actually higher. Not to mention City sold a further 13 players for undisclosed fees and sent out 40 players on loan with loan fees. Chelsea get praised for income from youth players on loan deals/selling them but when it comes to City this is ignored in their finances, why? So yes my original point about City having a positive net spend in 18-19 was accurate unlike transfermarkt.
I couldn't be bothered to check all those transfer fees so I just looked at the two players you've mentioned. That €10m fee for Denayer is the final number, with €3.5m being possible add-ons already included in that fee, so in reality it may even be a smaller figure.
https://www.ol.fr/fr-fr/contenus/ar...-sengage-avec-lol-pour-les-prochaines-saisons

So even if the rest of your calculations are correct, that measly 0.6m you present as a profit may not even exist.

In any case, it doesn't change the fact that City's net spend under Guardiola has been huge.

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
I couldn't be bothered to check all those transfer fees so I just looked at the two players you've mentioned. That €10m fee for Denayer is the final number, with €3.5m being possible add-ons already included in that fee, so in reality it may even be a smaller figure.
https://www.ol.fr/fr-fr/contenus/ar...-sengage-avec-lol-pour-les-prochaines-saisons

So even if the rest of your calculations are correct, that measly 0.6m you present as a profit may not even exist.

In any case, it doesn't change the fact that City's net spend under Guardiola has been huge.
That article backs up that Denayer was sold for initial £10m Euros and £3.5 further add ons..???

As for your final sentence, I've never once stated otherwise, of course his net spend is huge.

My whole argument here is the fact a poster wrongly suggested City each summer spend well over £100m net when in fact the last three seasons have all been well under that figure. City 'could' go and spend similar to what they did in Pep's first two seasons, but it's highly unlikely. That's the problem with many on here, completely unable to grasp the actual debate and go off on tangents about historical spending etc. When in fact what I said was valid and factual.

Fluctuation0161

That article backs up that Denayer was sold for initial £10m Euros and £3.5 further add ons..???

As for your final sentence, I've never once stated otherwise, of course his net spend is huge.

My whole argument here is the fact a poster wrongly suggested City each summer spend well over £100m net when in fact the last three seasons have all been well under that figure. City 'could' go and spend similar to what they did in Pep's first two seasons, but it's highly unlikely. That's the problem with many on here, completely unable to grasp the actual debate and go off on tangents about historical spending etc. When in fact what I said was valid and factual.
Point is, Pep has spent the money, in top of inheriting an already title winning squad. Just because he spent most of the money a couple of years ago doesn't matter.

He has outspent every other club in the World and broken premiership spending records. Combined with inheriting Aguero, Kdb, Sterling, Kompany etc. Any top manager could've won the silverware he has at City. It is playing on cheat mode.

RoyH1

Point is, Pep has spent the money, in top of inheriting an already title winning squad. Just because he spent most of the money a couple of years ago doesn't matter.

He has outspent every other club in the World and broken premiership spending records. Combined with inheriting Aguero, Kdb, Sterling, Kompany etc. Any top manager could've won the silverware he has at City. It is playing on cheat mode.
Agree. Not to mention his net spend is insane. Other clubs, even giant ones have to sell players to balance books. City just keeps adding 40, 50 million players in reserve roles.

Sylar

Agree. Not to mention his net spend is insane. Other clubs, even giant ones have to sell players to balance books. City just keeps adding 40, 50 million players in reserve roles.
A good reason why 3 games in 6 days or similar is perfect for them and will hinder the rest. As the decrease from first 11 to reserves is probably the lowest at their team

Bob Rivers

Supports
Chelsea

Not further add-ons. 10m is the total number, 6.5m is the initial fee plus 3.5m potential add-ons. That's the link from the official Lyon site.

As for Pep's spending habits, yes, he may not have net spend 100m net every summer, but his average net spend is still huge. He's still got the most expensive squad, and you have to keep everybody happy so let's not forget the wage bill, the real wage bill must be pretty big, too.

Obviously, if I were Pep, I wouldn't give a rat's ass about the money aspect either, just like any other manager wouldn't, in his situation. The difference is, no other manager out there can afford to not just buy, but more importantly keep, a squad with such depth in individual quality without worrying about a mammoth wage bill. Pep can just discard an expensive flop and sign another 50m player in his place and he doesn't have to concern himself with how viable this business model is .

SER19

So the billion pound man, who's somehow tried to persist with the absurd notion that city have financial limitations becomes the first PL manager to ever bid 100m for a player? How will he spin this one?

He would sell his wife for a CL at this point :lol:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
So the billion pound man, who's somehow tried to persist with the absurd notion that city have financial limitations becomes the first PL manager to ever bid 100m for a player? How will he spin this one?

He would sell his wife for a CL at this point :lol:
He also said that 100 mil player is for next 10 years. And then he goes for 28y old player. What a hypocrite he is

Raredaredevil

I just feel sorry for Aguero, one of the greatest strikers of the Premier League and such a humble footballer who never get into any trouble...fails to win the biggest prize in club football. Perhaps he can win it with Barca but I doubt they can do it.

Josh 76

He also said that 100 mil player is for next 10 years. And then he goes for 28y old player. What a hypocrite he is
Who actually gives a feck
The amount of money Utd have spent over the years is mind boggling.

SER19

You know it's possible to discuss the highest spending manager of all time without it having anything to do with United? The highest spending manager of all time looking to break the British transfer record for the first 100m pound player is something people might discuss on its own merit

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Because we don't hide behind silly excuses. We spend. Period.
Pep says that he is not spending. Buying 10 players for 40-70 mil is not spending. Only 100+ mil for one player is spending. Pep says...

It is the same when Klopp said that he will leave football when he will start spending big (after we bought Pogba). And then he spent world records for gk and defender.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
I just feel sorry for Aguero, one of the greatest strikers of the Premier League and such a humble footballer who never get into any trouble...fails to win the biggest prize in club football. Perhaps he can win it with Barca but I doubt they can do it.
You want City to win the Champions League so their players are happy? Have you considered going to Blue Moon?

abundance

Supports
Inter

Assuming transfermarkt data is accurate, net spend since Pep arrival is €619.96mil for City and €553.30mil for Utd.
So yeah they outspend anybody else, but 12% more than town rivals over 5 season doesn't feel like such a game-ending cheat.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Assuming transfermarkt data is accurate, net spend since Pep arrival is €619.96mil for City and €553.30mil for Utd.
So yeah they outspend anybody else, but 12% more than town rivals over 5 season doesn't feel like such a game-ending cheat.
It is when you consider the players he inherited.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
It's not.

But again all the game needs to do is institute a transfer fee and wage cap.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
What if they started with a way better squad, didn’t go through 3 managers, don’t actually generate the money they spend, get investigated for it and still continue to outspend everyone else, while at the same time, said manager acts like a pauper with some sort of restrictions on him.

Give me a break. It’s obscene and it’s gains have no real value and are instantly forgotten.

JDoe

Supports
Bayern
It's not.

I've also thought about this and would agree actually. Would be very healthy for overall competition while clubs with endless money like City or traditional big clubs would still somehow have an advantage, albeit not as big as currently.

RedDevil@84

Why net spend? Just because they made good money with the Nacho, Danilo and Sane deals?

CoopersDream

It's pretty much only de Bruyne and Sterling left from that squad that will play a big part next season. Fernandinho is still there, but he already didn't play that much this year and will play even less next year presumably. Meanwhile we have Shaw, Rashford and Martial left from before 2016. Not that big a difference at this point in time, if we're being honest. They have just bought that much better.

SER19

It's pretty much only de Bruyne and Sterling left from that squad that will play a big part next season. Fernandinho is still there, but he already didn't play that much this year and will play even less next year presumably. Meanwhile we have Shaw, Rashford and Martial left from before 2016. Not that big a difference at this point in time, if we're being honest. They have just bought that much better.
Half a decade of success later :lol:

CoopersDream

Half a decade of success later :lol:
That's true, but they're still going into the next season the clear cut favorite. Anyway, what they had when he came does not really matter for what they have now. A lot here would make it out that City has 22 world class players and so on and anyone would win that squad because he can spend so much more than anyone else. Yet here we are having spent a similar amount to Pep in the same time, having similar quality players left from before, yet we are no where near being conisdered favorites for next season, in fact we think that we will be in for a good top 4 fight.

That's true, but they're still going into the next season the clear cut favorite. Anyway, what they had when he came does not really matter for what they have now. A lot here would make it out that City has 22 world class players and so on and anyone would win that squad because he can spend so much more than anyone else. Yet here we are having spent a similar amount to Pep in the same time, having similar quality players left from before, yet we are no where near being conisdered favorites for next season, in fact we think that we will be in for a good top 4 fight.
Net is a load of nonsense in this debate, who has Pep sold that he wanted to keep? Same goes for Ole.
Pep’s spent what? Almost a billion?

CoopersDream

Net is a load of nonsense in this debate, who has Pep sold that he wanted to keep? Same goes for Ole.
Pep’s spent what? Almost a billion?
Well, it's true it's a bit more of a difference with gross spend, but it's still not that much a difference. It's not like he outspent us twice, it's somewhere along the lines of twenty percent more gross spend. It's certainly not enough to make the supposed difference in quality between the squads.

tomaldinho1

Ever heard Fergie's Aberdeen or Klopp's Dortmund?
[/QUOTE
Have genuinely debated with someone on here who thought United when SAF took over were in a comparable place to City when Pep arrived…time truly does erode everything. The fact a huge section of the fan base doesn’t know SAF won European trophies with Aberdeen is sad but not surprising.

Well, it's true it's a bit more of a difference with gross spend, but it's still not that much a difference. It's not like he outspent us twice, it's somewhere along the lines of twenty percent more gross spend. It's certainly not enough to make the supposed difference in quality between the squads.
He’s spent it all himself though, whereas our current incumbent has spent what? A third of that maybe?
So 20% is a feckload by the way but there’s you biggest difference, inherit a title winning squad with some absolutely World class players (KDB, Kompany, Silva, Aguero) and then spend almost a billion on your own signings. In fact, the likes of Sterling and KDB were actually bought for him by his Barca mate.

abundance

Supports
Inter
Previous five years have City at €394,73m and Utd at €390,2m...

It's a full decade where money has never been what Utd was missing to give City a good run for their money.

About time you get your act together and start doing that!
Really please, for a neutral there's nothing more enticing than the prospect of a proper Utd firing on all cylinders in this current Premier...

Why net spend? Just because they made good money with the Nacho, Danilo and Sane deals?
duh, no, just because if you want to talk about money... well that's how money works ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Amen to that.
It'd be a big deal - it's something that would entail a massive restructuring of the legal and business frameworks under which club football operates... (and the sudden extinction of a whole money laundering underworld....)
...but it is the only way to save pro football long term.

CoopersDream

He’s spent it all himself though, whereas our current incumbent has spent what? A third of that maybe?
I won't deny that that is very different. Anyway, we had a pretty strong squad already when he came that finished second the year before, and he has spent quite some money as well.
So 20% is a feckload by the way but there’s you biggest difference, inherit a title winning squad with some absolutely World class players (KDB, Kompany, Silva, Aguero) and then spend almost a billion on your own signings. In fact, the likes of Sterling and KDB were actually bought for him by his Barca mate.
But that fact that he inherited a title winning squad with world class players doesn't mean anything now (or during the last season) when barely any of them are left. 20% is of course a sizeable amount, but again, it's clearly not the difference between having a squad of 22 world class players and our squad. It just isn't.

Anyway, it's obviously not only the money spent that is important, it's what you spend it on. Up until Liverpool's title win, Klopp hadn't spent that much more than what Ole has done now (in net, less), whilst starting with a far worse squad, but he managed to buy a lot of really, really good players fairly cheap.

Last edited: