Per Simon Stone: Our net spent is more than other European club in the last three years

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman

I believe we can confirm that it is a myth that Ole has not been back and our board is not providing the resources he needs. This upcoming season, I believe the pressure will be high on Ole. Will it be acceptable if we end this season like last season? Is that enough to keep Ole in charge?

We have what it takes to win a Mickey mouse trophy and compete at the highest level. Will this be the season where United can return back to glory?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Is he including Sancho in that? A player that hasn’t even kicked a ball in training for us yet.

The Siege

Yes, let us look at the net spend of a club that is rubbish at selling players, has literally loaned almost every single player they wanted to sell because nobody wanted to pay their transfer fees AND their inflated wages. That seems like an apt reflection of how much Ole has been backed.

DoomSlayer

This is because we're embarrassingly shite at selling players
And also embarrassingly shite at negotiating to buy players. Mix the 2 together and the amount of money spent with almost 0 returns, when it comes to football success, is mind-boggling

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Stupid tweet and stupid thread when City could be on the cusp of spending £160m on Kane, £100m on Grealish and Chelsea £150m on Haaland

I mean that's what we're being told is going to happen isn't it

atkar83

This is because we're embarrassingly shite at selling players
But..but..but we could lose Bailey for nothing! It makes all the sense in the world to extend him so we can sell him for profit. Oh, no one wants him at his wages? How did we not learn from Jones, Rojo, etc. etc. etc.

Its painful to think about sometimes.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
We’ve still spent the guts of 300 million euros. Net spend or not — it’s time to show what we’ve paid for.

Idxomer

Net spend or not, Ole has spent plenty.

No more excuses for him, either he delivers or the club should move on.

AshRK

Net spend should be kept for accounting department.

But yes Ole must deliver atleast one trophy and good run in CL.

Amadaeus

Stupid tweet and stupid thread when City could be on the cusp of spending £160m on Kane, £100m on Grealish and Chelsea £150m on Haaland

I mean that's what we're being told is going to happen isn't it
Irrespective of those deals going through, Ole has been back more than liverpool, Leceister, Arsenal, and Villarreal, yet these teams has made more progress in respective to winning trophies. Since we are top, we should be accomplishing what City and Chelsea are accomplishing as we all know spending often leads to success. Yet, we don’t see it here.

Siorac

And not even a Carabao Cup to show for all that.
Sure, we should win trophies - but if I have to choose between an actual, real title challenge (where we have a realistic chance of winning the league with five games to go) or a distant 3rd and a Carabao Cup, I'll choose the title challenge every time.

We haven't seen either of these in the last four seasons, of course, so there's that...

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Irrespective of those deals going through, Ole has been back more than liverpool, Leceister, Arsenal, and Villarreal, yet these teams has made more progress in respective to winning trophies. Since we are top, we should be accomplishing what City and Chelsea are accomplishing as we all know spending often leads to success. Yet, we don’t see it here.
you're talking shit as usual

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
PSG have a net spent of almost €400m in the past 4 years. Didn't stop Pochy from finishing second in a one-horse race.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Laughable to think that thread is the issue. Ole has been backed plenty and it's about time he shows the mettle.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
The vague message is correct. Ole has been backed, it's trickled through at a very slow speed but he has finally got the backing.

New first choice RB (AWB)
New first choice CB (Maguire)
New first choice RW (Sancho)
New first choice AM (Bruno)

That's excluding our squad additions of de Beek, Telles, Diallo, Cavani, Pellestri, James, Ighalo

I think our squad was wafer thin when he got here mind and it needed massive work and the rebuild despite being slow has been decent and we're a younger, fitter and more technical squad than under Jose/Van Gaal. But it's time for Ole and the team to deliver.

Amadaeus

PSG have a net spent of almost €400m in the past 4 years. Didn't stop Pochy from finishing second in a one-horse race.
Pochettino only been there for less than a season. I could bring in Mourinho transfer fee along with what ole got and I m quite sure, it will not look good for us.

Laughable to think that thread is the issue. Ole has been backed plenty and it's about time he shows the mettle.
Exactly. This season is critical for him. Pressure is on. I hope he can win something big. A mickey Mouse cup won’t be enough

edcunited1878

I believe we can confirm that it is a myth that Ole has not been back and our board is not providing the resources he needs. This upcoming season, I believe the pressure will be high on Ole. Will it be acceptable if we end this season like last season? Is that enough to keep Ole in charge?

We have what it takes to win a Mickey mouse trophy and compete at the highest level. Will this be the season where United can return back to glory?
You're trolling a bit, but that's expected.

Take Ole out of the equation. It's taken his appointing to get United's house in order compared to to Moyes, LVG, and Mourinho. Under his tenure, the squad has improved. But more importantly, the long term structure, accountability, and vision has improved. That was severely lacking. That's much more important than the money spent. United have always spent money, nothing new. But they've spent it much better and on players who have improved them such as Bruno, Maguire, AWB, James. Telles is a good back up with character.

Stop looking at it from a year to year scenario. The team still has to gradually improve and adjust based on who is leaving or aging out. Pogba and Cavani will probably leave within the next 14 months. So then it's up to the club, regardless of manager, to get in a proper CF who can be relied upon throughout the season. CM is more for function and quality, but not the talent level of a Pogba.

Of all people, Ole knows what is expected and knows the pressure. He's fine with it. But while improving your own club is important, the other top 5 clubs are trying to improve just as much and compete. This isn't some 1 or 2 horse race like in Spain, Italy, Germany, France. There's twice as many clubs who are legit challenges (City, United, Chelsea, Liverpool).

And finally, United's net spend can be the lowest or the highest...who cares. It's all about how well you spend, not how much. You can spend like Barca recently on the likes of Dembele, Grizemann, Coutinho, Malcom, Turan, Pjanic.

prateik

What about the last 4 years? or the last 2 years ?
We are one of the biggest spenders .. we know that.. take an arbitrary time frame and you could make a similar statement for several clubs.

Polar

New first choice RB (AWB)
New first choice CB (Maguire)
New first choice RW (Sancho)
New first choice AM (Bruno)

That's excluding our squad additions of de Beek, Telles, Diallo, Cavani, Pellestri, James, Ighalo
Don’t think Ole has got more or less backing than other comparable managers the last years. We have paid United price until recently, and it’s off corse more expensive and difficult to build a new squad 2019-2021 compared to earlier years when Pool, City did their rebuild.

We could definitely become better to sell players. That’s primarily the reason behind high net spend.

Last edited:

Rojofiam

Our transfer business since the summer of 2019 (approximate prices calculated in today's EUR -> GBP exchange rate)
[source: Transfermarkt]

IN

Harry Maguire (75m)
Jadon Sancho (73m)
Bruno Fernandes (54m)
Aaron Wan-Bissaka (47m)
Raphael Varane (43m) (NOT DONE YET)
Donny van de Beek (33m)
Amad Diallo (18m)
Daniel James (15m)
Alex Telles (12m)
Odion Ighalo (10m loan fee)
Facundo Pellistri (7m)
Edinson Cavani (free)
Tom Heaton (free)

OUT:
Romelu Lukaku (63m)
Chris Smalling (12m)
Matteo Darmian (2m)
Jesse Lingard (2m loan fee)
Ashley Young (1.5m)
Timothy Fosu-Mensah (1.5m)
Alexis Sánchez (free)
Marcos Rojo (free)
Cameron Borthwick-Jackson (free)
Joel Pereira (free)
Sergio Romero (free)

One can argue that we could've got better prices for our outgoings, but we definitely seem to be acting smart on the market ever since Ole began his rebuild. We've secured players at great prices at least.

I wonder what happened behind the scenes that saw us miss out on Grealish, Haaland and Bellingham, though. The latter 2 apparently wanted Dortmund no matter what due to guaranteed minutes.

tomaldinho1

I don't think any sane posters on here doubt Ole has been backed, United always back their managers and Ole has been treated no differently in the transfer market than LVG and Mou. Now it is time to deliver.

Steve Bruce

It wasn't a myth. Backing can't be measured purely by how much money spent.

Oles wanted certain players and United supplied him with ones he didn't want VDB for example.

If I'm your investor and your business is delivering parcels. Your van broke down and needs replacing.

You tell me you need a new van it's going to cost 20k. So i go out and buy you a ford fiesta that costs 20k.

In this scenario did I back you? Did I supply what you needed? I spent the money on a different vehicle, so I must have backed you, right?

It's been the same for Ole, Jose & lvg. Yes money was spent, but not on the players they wanted & needed. They needed a van but was bought a fiesta instead.

Last summer transfer window we needed a CB, RW and DM. At the end of the summer transfer window we needed a CB, RW and DM.

We ended up with a panic buy Cavani (thankfully it worked out) VDB who Ole didn't want, a backup LB and 2 youngsters in which one went out on loan and one who we couldn't use until the January window and even then wasn't ready for regular first team action.

Yes a lot of money has been spent by United but the managers since Sir Alex weren't getting the players they wanted.

Judas

Open to offers
If we spend so much, we should be competing for the highest honors and not just Mickey Mouse cup. It is good that we are spending, but it is bad we are not competing at the same level as other clubs who spend so much as well
Oh its another one of these threads, much needed, crack on with the negativity baby cakes xx

Amadaeus

It wasn't a myth. Backing can't be measured purely by how much money spent.

Oles wanted certain players and United supplied him with ones he didn't want VDB for example.

If I'm your investor and your business is delivering parcels. Your van broke down and needs replacing.

You tell me you need a new van it's going to cost 20k. So i go out and buy you a ford fiesta that costs 20k.

In this scenario did I back you? Did I supply what you needed? I spent the money on a different vehicle, so I must have backed you, right?

Last summer transfer window we needed a CB, RW and DM. At the end of the summer transfer window we needed a CB, RW and DM.

We ended up with a panic buy Cavani (thankfully it worked out) VDB who Ole didn't want, a backup LB and 2 youngsters in which one went out on loan and one who we couldn't use until the January window and even then wasn't ready for regular first team action.

Yes a lot of money has been spent by United but the managers since Sir Alex weren't getting the players they wanted.
VDB is a quality player. The analogy you used is off because VDB is a top player that if utilized properly could be a great asset to our team.

Dan_F

You just know he’s had that article saved for as soon as Sancho is announced.

We’re never going to be good at selling when we pay out so much in wages. Even some of the fairly sellable younger assets like Andreas or Williams, we give a big pay increase straightaway and then can’t offload when we decide they aren’t good enough (not saying Williams is in that category yet).

Siorac

I don't think any sane posters on here doubt Ole has been backed, United always back their managers and Ole has been treated no differently in the transfer market than LVG and Mou. Now it is time to deliver.
Plenty of people still maintain that Mourinho wasn't backed. I don't think those are sane people but still, they exist.