Per Simon Stone: Our net spent is more than other European club in the last three years

Jezpeza

I believe we can confirm that it is a myth that Ole has not been back and our board is not providing the resources he needs. This upcoming season, I believe the pressure will be high on Ole. Will it be acceptable if we end this season like last season? Is that enough to keep Ole in charge?

We have what it takes to win a Mickey mouse trophy and compete at the highest level. Will this be the season where United can return back to glory?
A) we never make jack from sales
B) the squad he inherited was junk as startring point so we have had to disproportionately spend. He needed/still needs in some positions a starting rb(AWB) two centre halves, (HM+1) a cdm, a cam (Bruno) a rw player(Sancho) and a striker(Cavani for now). Also some squad players. We’ve been lucky to get Greenwood, Williams, Henderson, Mctominay and Greenwood from the academy too and he salvaged poor investments on Fred and Lindelof and turned them into slightly useful squad members.

think the money side is irrelevant. We could have needed to spend more. The project is looking like it should bear some fruit soon as we have quality all over and the right sort of players. Its a far cry from the mega spending of JM and LVG which yielded flacid and awful football and not a lot in terms of silverware for the money spent and the managerial cv, as well as leaving behind a mainly useless, injury prone and ageing squad

arthurka

Lingard and Dalot should catch us some cash but we seem to be incapable off getting shit done. We just cannot sell players.

Siorac

So we finish 14 points off the top you will be happy? fecking hell your easily pleased :lol:
Where does the 14 points come from? Because being 14 points behind with five games to go is not a realistic chance of winning the league. 'Realistic' means an absolute maximum of five points behind but preferably three or fewer. And if we then ended up being 14 points behind at the end I'd be very disappointed because that's a collapse of epic proportions.

And let me turn the question around: would you be happy with a League Cup if we continued to stagnate in the actual league?

BazzaBear

Definately Banned
Irrespective of those deals going through, Ole has been back more than liverpool, Leceister, Arsenal, and Villarreal, yet these teams has made more progress in respective to winning trophies. Since we are top, we should be accomplishing what City and Chelsea are accomplishing as we all know spending often leads to success. Yet, we don’t see it here.
What???

Explain to us how, since OIe came to United, Liverpool have made more progress than us?

alexthelion

Irrespective of those deals going through, Ole has been back more than liverpool, Leceister, Arsenal, and Villarreal, yet these teams has made more progress in respective to winning trophies. Since we are top, we should be accomplishing what City and Chelsea are accomplishing as we all know spending often leads to success. Yet, we don’t see it here.
Are you making allowance for how far back from those teams we were?

alexthelion

If we spend so much, we should be competing for the highest honors and not just Mickey Mouse cup. It is good that we are spending, but it is bad we are not competing at the same level as other clubs who spend so much as well
Thought you'd have switched to supporting PSG by now.

SER19

Strange timing since most other clubs yet to move yet and an arbitrary time frame unless specifically looking at solskjaers spend

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Is there still "rebuilding" going on or are the expectations finally there to challenge?

POF

He's been backed, no doubt about it. Now he needs to deliver. Question is if we have another season like the last three, are we still content with Ole at the wheel?
Like the last 3? Where each season the team has shown significant improvement on the previous one?

Of course.

POF

Nope and it shouldn't be if the club has any self respect.
2nd and losing a European final on penalties?!

It's the league and champions league double or sack him if you have any self respect!

hobbers

It's the league and champions league double or sack him if you have any self respect!
Miles off first place and a B-tier final DEFEAT after embarrassing ourselves in the CL group stage. Yes, another season of that and he's earned the sack two times over.

alexthelion

Miles off first place and a B-tier final DEFEAT after embarrassing ourselves in the CL group stage. Yes, another season of that and he's earned the sack two times over.
FFs, what will you accept?

2nd and a european final is sackable? Jesus!

POF

MrSingh2002

Two bullshit leaked stories today from United. 1 - Pogba is evil and forcing forcing club to sell him. 2 - United are the biggest spenders in Europe.

Seems like they delayed the Sancho news to sneak in the news that they're selling Pogba on the day.

As it stands this summer we're no better off if one good player leaves and one good player arrived. Lots to do.

hobbers

FFs, what will you accept?

2nd and a european final is sackable? Jesus!
You say european final like that extra word means anything. As a trophy it's worth less than the FA cup. We were only there because we embarrassed ourselves in the CL.

And, more importantly, we didn't win it. Are small-time Spurs raving about making the league cup final? No.

I'll accept being in a league title fight in April and May, and not giving it up in January. And I'll accept going into the knockouts of the CL and acquitting ourselves well. Less than that, there's zero justification in the world for giving Ole another season.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Ok sissystoney now shut up and let us enjoy this transfer window. Mooooorreeeee players.

Crashoutcassius

presume he is including this window when nobody has done anything except us. some people would say it is a good thing to get deals done early - some would say bad because then simon stone can say things that get idiots excited

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Our net spend is highest? How about our wages? Lower than Cities now. How about our profit margin? Increasing all the time.

We will spend what we can. Has been that way for quite some time now.

wolvored

Where does the 14 points come from? Because being 14 points behind with five games to go is not a realistic chance of winning the league. 'Realistic' means an absolute maximum of five points behind but preferably three or fewer. And if we then ended up being 14 points behind at the end I'd be very disappointed because that's a collapse of epic proportions.

And let me turn the question around: would you be happy with a League Cup if we continued to stagnate in the actual league?
You said still be in contention up to 5 games to go thats where I got the 14 points from. Actually I should have said minimum 16. My bad. If you had have said 1 game to go then 4-6 points would have been correct.
I agree with your post now. If we have been in contention and been beaten by 4/5 points then it is progress.

Ace of Spades

presume he is including this window when nobody has done anything except us. some people would say it is a good thing to get deals done early - some would say bad because then simon stone can say things that get idiots excited
This.

Netspend is pointless if you are as terrible at selling players as we are. Too bad we don't have a Bournemouth throwing 30m for the likes of Periera etc.

I remember that Everton were willing to offer 8m for Rojo, we decided to ask for 15m and then they told us to feck off. He went for free as no one wanted to buy him after that.

We lost a lot of players for free, and some players that we want to sell but are having problems moving them on.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Ole needs to deliver.

No excuses.
What is deliver? Win a treble? Win the league? Win the CL? Win a trophy? Title challenge?

IMO we should be winning some sort of trophy even though a lot of luck goes into that (11-10 on penalties for example). We should be challenging for the title but if we don't strengthen the midfield then I doubt it'll be a serious challenge (but still better than last season). Varane and Sancho alone even with Pogba leaving I'd expect reaching 80 points, but who knows if a team will get to high 90's again.

We need continual progress and if we start failing, see what the reason for that failure is. If it's purely tactical, Ole not getting the players to play well together, then obviously on him. If it's sloppy mistakes occasionally or sloppy finishing after good play, different answer.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Pochettino only been there for less than a season. I could bring in Mourinho transfer fee along with what ole got and I m quite sure, it will not look good for us.

Exactly. This season is critical for him. Pressure is on. I hope he can win something big. A mickey Mouse cup won’t be enough
Inherited a team that had won the one horse league for the previous 3 seasons.... and came 2nd.

432JuanMata

While I am Ole in and feel like he gets a awful time, you make it sound better by saying European final instead of losing to a average Spainish side called Villarreal and going out of the CL in the group stage too Leipzig

Ace of Spades

At least wait till the window ends before making any claims, a lot can change between now and end of window.

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs
We're not Chelsea. We're not Real Madrid. To expect us to sack Ole if he finishes 3rd is unrealistic as that's not how we've ever operated. The only way I can see Ole not surviving is if top 4 is in serious question. That being said while being towards the top 3 of the league and getting to Semi finals is not failure in general, consistently failing to make that final step up will start to rankle some supporters and even the higher ups sooner or later. Merely finishing 2nd/3rd and not winning trophies will only make Ole's reign an adequate one and not a successful one. At the end of the day, if we have another couple of "almost" seasons before finally winning something big, is that really such a big deal?

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Hm, first this is a reflection of how awfully this club has been managed. We can't sell a glass of water to a man dying of thirst in the desert.

And as much as I think we've got a good squad and Ole is a bit subpar, he's been given a lot of money but for few players, so it's hardly something ground-breaking.

hobbers

Merely finishing 2nd/3rd and not winning trophies will only make Ole's reign an adequate one and not a successful one.
Winning zero trophies and not fighting for the league title once in 3.5 seasons is not in any way adequate.

Ole was brought in to bring us to a level to compete for the league title within 3 years. That's what he said. That's what he has to deliver.

At the end of the day, if we have another couple of "almost" seasons before finally winning something big, is that really such a big deal?
What do you mean by 'almost'? Because if we finish this season 4 points behind the winners, let's say, and were in the fight right up until the last 2 games of the season... that is a valid use of 'almost'. If we're 4 points off next season I would say Ole deserves a fourth bite of the apple.

But finishing 8-20 points away from first is not an 'almost' season. It's a 'nothing' season.

Eternitiy

To some fans, even if we spend 1,000,000,000,000.00, it will still not be enough investment from the owners, and the manager is faultless and doesn't have good enough players to choose from.

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs
Winning zero trophies and not fighting for the league title once in 3.5 seasons is not in any way adequate.

Ole was brought in to bring us to a level to compete for the league title within 3 years. That's what he said. That's what he has to deliver.
He's basically done that though. He's got us from out of the wilderness where we were deathly afraid of any half decent team towards the end of Jose's reign, to a team that can compete with every single team and stand a chance to beat them. We've gone from in and out of the top 4 to firmly top 4 - which is arguably what he was hired to do when we let Mourinho go. I think people forget just how bad and hopeless our situation seemed at that time. I genuinely had thought we'd be where Arsenal are today, I thought things were that bad. And I do believe that's where we'd have been still if we had another manager because the hierarchy at Manchester United is broken. We need somebody intimately familiar with the club and how it worked before Moyes, LvG, and Jose dismantled everything good about the club to build us in their image. The last thing we needed was another who'd do just that.

What do you mean by 'almost'? Because if we finish this season 4 points behind the winners, let's say, and were in the fight right up until the last 2 games of the season... that is a valid use of 'almost'. If we're 4 points off next season I would say Ole deserves a fourth bite of the apple.

But finishing 8-20 points away from first is not an 'almost' season. It's a 'nothing' season.
On one hand I agree. We really should be within 5-6 points of the champions at the end to have been seriously in the race, however I think context matters for stuff like that. In general if we're winning most games, the fans are being entertained for the most part and still we fall away towards the end of the season due to some injuries or something it's not gonna convince me to fire Ole. Thats just not the kind of club we are - for better or for worse. I think that's for the better, partly because we've seen in our history how that can give you real dynastic success if it comes off. Additionally, I'd much rather stick with a manger too long than fire one too soon. The line is always top 4 for the club, and I basically agree with it.

Last edited:

Rooney1987

Net spent shouldn't be a main talking point these days anyway. Most big teams get money from big tv deals and sponsors rather than selling players like it use to be. We all know City, Chelsea and PSG find ways it, like David Luiz 50mil stops round europe.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I think this more just points towards us being poorly run, than any slight on Ole. Besides Lukaku I can't remember our last big sale, was it Ronaldo to Madrid (could count Di Maria to PSG but that was a loss on money and here for 12 months)

oz insomniac

Perhaps if the dynamic duo sold players that were regarded as back ups at best, rather than extending contracts for rather obscene amounts, the ledger would become more balanced. Why is Jones still contracted and there are others, come on, slow to sign players and even slower to move them on .

Does actually completing a transfer now mean they can look at the next one, given there is concern that they can only do one thing at a time.