Per Simon Stone: Our net spent is more than other European club in the last three years

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I’m not complaining about his backing, but Liverpool and City showwhat it takes to fight for the PL/CL trophy.

Pep spent £532m his two first seasons. Kloop spent £356m the two seasons before winning PL.

Ole spent £319m, but we also have to take into consideration everyone agree the condition of our squad wasn’t very good.
Liverpool's squad was even worse when Klopp joined them.

predator

Youth NITK
Nobody is saying we don't spend.

What people take issue with is that we generate the money we spend from commercial ventures. City, PSG and Chelsea don't.

You see the difference in how we go about player recruitment. We spend big on big players who we need to replace poor players in important positions all over the pitch. If we get it wrong we have to live with that player.

City spend big on players just because they can, where they often don't need them, and they already have good players in the same positions. Look how many fullbacks and attacking midfielders they have bought recently. If one doesn't work out so what, they buy another in the next window. We can't do that.
First bit in bold - in an ideal world we would be winning the moral cup every year but football is cyclical - united played a blinder with the formation of the Premier league and we completely dominated it but at the same time the likes of City, Liverpool, cockney teams, Newcastle etc had and still have massive support. We are just an ordinary team from Newton heath that did it right for a long time. That doesn't give us the right to turn our noses up at the clubs around us, who are identical at the core.

It genuinely puzzles me to hear united fans moan about the oil clubs spending a little bit less than ourselves. We have spent an outrageous amount of money for a good 20 years now.

Ac Milan are the biggest team in Italy in my opinion but they are a shadow of what they once where. I'd love to see them win serie A.

For the second bolded part...

Can you give an example of them doing that and showing that we can't?

We just spent £73 million on sancho which is more than city have paid for any player in their history.

Maguire, Lukaku, pogba (literally broke the world transfer fee) again all more than city have spent on a single player. They spent alot on de bruyne and countless other nut so have we. Awb, Fred, martial, vdb weren't exactly peanuts.

United have the money. It can be seen in our wage bill, specifically the gks, alone. It can be seen in us signing who we have over the past 5 years.

Polar

Not 100% sure about that, besides I counted his spendings in 2017/18 and 2018/19 (he joined them in October 2015).

Kloop took them to 2pl in his fourth season, and it obviously coheres with high spending (season 2017/18 and 18/19).

Last edited:

led_scholes

Nah unless he drop out of top 4 he'll stay. The club won't sack him just because he doesn't win the title or CL etc. Sacking cost money too. And we'll continue to back him. I don't think we're that ambitious to sack a coach because he doesn't win the league. But I also don't think we're that dumb to stop chasing after spending so much and still going on the right trajectory.

It's not a make or break season or any sort of that dumb shit for Ole, for the fans maybe. For Ole it's just another season, surely he would want to win things, but not something that dramatic.
I m not saying he will be sacked but he wont be backed as he has already being backed in 2019, 2020 and -if we buy Varane- in 2021 too.

Pavl3n

Our transfer business since the summer of 2019 (approximate prices calculated in today's EUR -> GBP exchange rate)
[source: Transfermarkt]

IN

Harry Maguire (75m)
Jadon Sancho (73m)
Bruno Fernandes (54m)
Aaron Wan-Bissaka (47m)
Raphael Varane (43m) (NOT DONE YET)
Donny van de Beek (33m)
Amad Diallo (18m)
Daniel James (15m)
Alex Telles (12m)
Odion Ighalo (10m loan fee)
Facundo Pellistri (7m)
Edinson Cavani (free)
Tom Heaton (free)

OUT:
Romelu Lukaku (63m)
Chris Smalling (12m)
Matteo Darmian (2m)
Jesse Lingard (2m loan fee)
Ashley Young (1.5m)
Timothy Fosu-Mensah (1.5m)
Alexis Sánchez (free)
Marcos Rojo (free)
Cameron Borthwick-Jackson (free)
Joel Pereira (free)
Sergio Romero (free)

One can argue that we could've got better prices for our outgoings, but we definitely seem to be acting smart on the market ever since Ole began his rebuild. We've secured players at great prices at least.

I wonder what happened behind the scenes that saw us miss out on Grealish, Haaland and Bellingham, though. The latter 2 apparently wanted Dortmund no matter what due to guaranteed minutes.
No way. The players who've left the club are pure dross, aside Lukaku and Romero.
The club was ran into the ground by managers stomping their feet and demanding players or simply clueless managers.
We brought players like Fellaini, Schneiderlin, Schwenschteiger, Falcao, Martial, Pogba, Rojo, Darmian, Bailly, Lindelof, Blind, Sanchez, Dalot - you can't deem any of those transfers successful and aside from one or two, the majority of players we brought a pure dross. Dross with a capital D. Simply because we were asking 'How high' when newly appointed managers asked us to jump.

It's clear that the club has taken a different direction and approach with transfers since the appointment of Ole. We could argue Maguire is not worth the price we paid - but he was the best available option at a time we had Smalling, Jones, Rojo and Bailly as our CB options. And the curious case of VDB - but let's give him this season to see if there's a good player in him.

sp_107

Our transfer business since the summer of 2019 (approximate prices calculated in today's EUR -> GBP exchange rate)
[source: Transfermarkt]

IN

Harry Maguire (75m)
Jadon Sancho (73m)
Bruno Fernandes (54m)
Aaron Wan-Bissaka (47m)
Raphael Varane (43m) (NOT DONE YET)
Donny van de Beek (33m)
Amad Diallo (18m)
Daniel James (15m)
Alex Telles (12m)
Odion Ighalo (10m loan fee)
Facundo Pellistri (7m)
Edinson Cavani (free)
Tom Heaton (free)

OUT:
Romelu Lukaku (63m)
Chris Smalling (12m)
Matteo Darmian (2m)
Jesse Lingard (2m loan fee)
Ashley Young (1.5m)
Timothy Fosu-Mensah (1.5m)
Alexis Sánchez (free)
Marcos Rojo (free)
Cameron Borthwick-Jackson (free)
Joel Pereira (free)
Sergio Romero (free)

One can argue that we could've got better prices for our outgoings, but we definitely seem to be acting smart on the market ever since Ole began his rebuild. We've secured players at great prices at least.

I wonder what happened behind the scenes that saw us miss out on Grealish, Haaland and Bellingham, though. The latter 2 apparently wanted Dortmund no matter what due to guaranteed minutes.
This is where he earns my respect, he cleared some dross and brought in very good players.
I really wish board supported him more last summer as i dont think Telles/VDB really improved us. Thanks god Cavani compensated our last summer mistakes.

Out of all windows since 2013, this summer looks more promissing. so hopefully we can bring in few more quality players like Varane / Goretzka and then we will have a tittle winning team.

Hope we can move out Jesse/Martial/Matic/Perrera/Dalot/Baily/Jones to keep up the good work we have been doing recently.

Strelok

I m not saying he will be sacked but he wont be backed as he has already being backed in 2019, 2020 and -if we buy Varane- in 2021 too.
Given the progress under Ole so far imo we actually don't need that big of investment in the next seasons anyway if we manage to buy Varane and a quality DM/CM this summer. Our squad then is already pretty good with many young exciting talents. Of the first XI only a replacement for Cavani and probably another DM/CM is required I think.

But to think about City it's actually quite hard for us to compete with them. We're trying to complete our first XI while their second XI is a top 4 contender. They somehow managed to do something that even in FM is impossible. In a long gruesome season depth is essential. And it's not like they'd stop to spend. The oil money has simply ruined football.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Since the Caf likes to compare Ole with Klopp as both took over their respective clubs in bad states. Klopp in his 3rd full season had spent 388m and won the the league. Ole right now has spent 443m and counting. The least we should be expecting this season is a title challenge. People can still give excuses that our squad is not as good as Chelsea or City or Liverpool but after spending 443m it should be as good as those teams.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Even so, Klopp is the best manager in the world, even if we had another manager here instead of Ole, they would still struggle to compete against the best manager in the world and the 2nd best who has a bottomless pit of money.

big rons sovereign

What an embarrassing state our fanbase is in.
I say fanbase, it's just a number of posters on a forum acting like a 6 year old that wants a lolly.

I wonder why any of them actually bother with the club, they clearly hate everything about it.

Why else would there be all this whining before a ball has been kicked?
Crazy.

How many of these footballing geniuses could do a better job than ole has? I'd wager not a single one of them.

BazzaBear

Definately Banned
Well, they won the Champions League and the Premier League in that timeframe.
They've improved to that level? Or that is the level they were at when Ole came, and they have in fact dropped off while we've improved?

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
I don't think some like to remember how bad our team was when Ole got here, arguably the only positions he didn't need to worry about when he got here was GK (though this quickly changed), LW and CF (and he quickly decided Lukaku wasn't for him)

He needed 2 new CB's as the 4 we had were no good (2 always injured plus Smalling and Lindelof the latter who he has had to persist with), he needed a RB as his options there were Valencia and Young, midfield wasn't looking great with Herrera on his way out, Fred struggling and McTominay still on the periphery, Pogba was our only creative player and lastly he needed a right winger

Ole's done great bringing Shaw back from the dead, he's given Fred the opportunity to show his worth, likewise McTominay and he's brought through Greenwood but of the 6 players he needed though we've only just yesterday got him the 4th (Maguire, AWB, Bruno and now Sancho) and so given we can't judge next season because it hasn't started you can say with absolute certainty thus far Ole has been backed 50% of the way. He's been given half the players he needed when he started 2 and a half years ago

Hard to compete against the likes of Liverpool when Klopp says I need a GK, CB and DM and his board goes and gets him all 3 (plus Salah for good measure). Hard to compete with City given they were already streets ahead of us and Pep gets whatever he wants (what was it last summer? 90m worth of CB's on top of Stones and Laporte who were already there?)

If Varane gets over the line and Pogba stays/is replaced adequately only then can you really say Ole's been given 90% of the tools he's asked for (because realistically you're never going to get everything you want)
While I agree the defence Mou left needed sorted the numbers still don't add up. In his 2 full seasons Mou conceded 29 and 28 goals respectively. In Oles 2 full seasons we've conceded 36 and 44 goals after spending a WC fee on Maquire and an almost PL record on AWB and having a resurgent Shaw. The only thing that makes any sense is that Mourinho is better organising his teams than Ole even though Mou was a burnt out shell from the manager he was which should be a bit more than slightly worrying.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
While I agree the defence Mou left needed sorted the numbers still don't add up. In his 2 full seasons Mou conceded 29 and 28 goals respectively. In Oles 2 full seasons we've conceded 36 and 44 goals after spending a WC fee on Maquire and an almost PL record on AWB and having a resurgent Shaw. The only thing that makes any sense is that Mourinho is better organising his teams than Ole even though Mou was a burnt out shell from the manager he was which should be a bit more than slightly worrying.
Mourinho had De Gea in god mode

Maxii

Paad
Can someone please put the “any” in the thread title. Thanks very much

Chairman Steve

We’re bad at selling our own youth products at the best possible times. Our ethos of ‘giving youth a chance’ seems to cost us in these situations, where it’s found that not only are they not as good as initially thought, they’re also on a pretty decent chunk of money because they’re at Utd, one of the richest clubs in the world… and then you’ve got a very average young player on very high wages in comparison to most other clubs and therefore they’re hard to shift since most teams would have to put them in the top earner brackets.

I think we’re too enamoured by our ethos and possibly need to be more thinking with our heads rather than our hearts. I reckon we could have made a good deal of money if we sold Macheda at the end of the 08/09 season for example, among others like McNair, Borthwick-Jackson etc, but we gave them too many chances which exposes their mediocrity and/or put them on ridiculous contracts based on a small portion of decent-to-good performances.

Not everyone in the Man Utd academy makes it to Premier League level, let alone Man Utd level. Look no further than Liverpool for the best examples of knowing exactly when to cash in. I think the best business we ever did like that was cashing in on Keith Gillespie.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Yet you read this forum for most of the past few years and you would think we spend less than a Sunday league team.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Wonder if Stone will be quick to send an update to his Tweet now it’s +£100m for City and soon to be +£130m for Chelsea.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Absolute bollocks and propaganda from the Glazers.

Are we supposed to pat them on the back for giving out dumb contracts to mediocre and past-it players and being unwilling to take a smaller amount when selling to further the aims of the club?

I don't think so but others are more gullible, especially with all this bullshit about restructing and how supposedly we've been so much more organised this year.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Absolute bollocks and propaganda from the Glazers.

Are we supposed to pat them on the back for giving out dumb contracts to mediocre and past-it players and being unwilling to take a smaller amount when selling to further the aims of the club?

I don't think so but others are more gullible, especially with all this bullshit about restructing and how supposedly we've been so much more organised this year.
What? :lol: it was a thinly disguised swipe at the club.

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs
It was meant as a "United have outspent everyone and not achieved much" swipe at the club as a whole and the coaching department in specific. It was always disingenuous to put it partway through a transfer window when none of the other clubs had started spending yet. Yet some of our own fans fell for it.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
It was meant as a "United have outspent everyone and not achieved much" swipe at the club as a whole and the coaching department in specific. It was always disingenuous to put it partway through a transfer window when none of the other clubs had started spending yet. Yet some of our own fans fell for it.
Exactly. United got their business sorted early for a change, good business too. Could have praised that, instead chose to work out net spend for all clubs including a transfer window which hadn’t had any football played and other clubs hadn’t made any moves. It was absolute toilet journalism.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
What? :lol: it was a thinly disguised swipe at the club.
Obviously I was reacting to the title and the general idea that we've somehow become transfer gods this summer. I cannot waste my time reading these journos with their 'reasonable' takes when they just spout whatever the club orders them.

Real Name

If we spend so much, we should be competing for the highest honors and not just Mickey Mouse cup. It is good that we are spending, but it is bad we are not competing at the same level as other clubs who spend so much as well
Seriously you post the same posts in multiple threads.

Listar

I believe we can confirm that it is a myth that Ole has not been back and our board is not providing the resources he needs. This upcoming season, I believe the pressure will be high on Ole. Will it be acceptable if we end this season like last season? Is that enough to keep Ole in charge?

We have what it takes to win a Mickey mouse trophy and compete at the highest level. Will this be the season where United can return back to glory?
So now city had spent more it makes your original point now being a convenient excuse for Ole if he doesn't win anything. If spending is something to go by then surely you don't expect Ole to win the league ahead of City? Should have kept quiet until the transfer window closes.

skc_18

I believe we can confirm that it is a myth that Ole has not been back and our board is not providing the resources he needs. This upcoming season, I believe the pressure will be high on Ole. Will it be acceptable if we end this season like last season? Is that enough to keep Ole in charge?

We have what it takes to win a Mickey mouse trophy and compete at the highest level. Will this be the season where United can return back to glory?
I have always amazed at our fans complaining about our lack of spending. Only season I think we did not buy very good was with Moyes.
After that we have been good at spending. Its just that we offered huge wages to everyone especially post contract renewals which affected how fast we could sell.

Any player coming to United is like a newly purchased car. You know it would depreciate atleast 10% next day after purchase.
We could not even sell the player who won the world cup and we could not renew his contract either.

I cant think of any player in recent years on whom we made a profit. Even Chicharito whom everyone adored barely made break-even.How people managing united financials are not judged on this is baffling.

Also, I dont know if negativity we give to our fringe players everywhere in social media is affecting how other teams perceive our players. For eg., the amount of flak we give to James is ridiculous. Is he 50 million player? No. But is he worth 20 M , well based on his potential he might be. Everyone on redcafe would be saying to buy him for 20 M if he is on different team just for his pace.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
So now city had spent more it makes your original point now being a convenient excuse for Ole if he doesn't win anything. If spending is something to go by then surely you don't expect Ole to win the league ahead of City? Should have kept quiet until the transfer window closes.
City and chelsea has already won something recently and I will not be surprised after their spending, they win something this season again. We have spent the same as any top European club, yet we haven’t won anything yet. Which is why, I made this thread. Stone indicated that we are on top, at the time, which means that going into this season, with our expenditure, we must win something. We can’t continue to be there up there spending big like city, chelsea, etc and not win anything. Which is why this upcoming season is really important for ole and the management team.