Gaming Persona 5

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Is buying a Vita for Golden alone worth it?
Vita is great for Persona4 and some other old RPG like FF6. I can't think of many other vita only good games on it though. Persona 3 portable is also on the vita although I haven't played that yet. I basically only played those 2 games on it.

You could get one of these instead to play on your TV. I'm thinking of getting one as I prefer to play games on the big screen

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-9818236-PlayStation-TV/dp/B00KJG45AQ

I also started Persona 5 today as I got fed up waiting for Mass Effect to get better. Played 2.5 hours so far, great game

Stormsurfer21

Vita is great for Persona4 and some other old RPG like FF6. I can't think of many other vita only good games on it though. Persona 3 portable is also on the vita although I haven't played that yet. I basically only played those 2 games on it.

You could get one of these instead to play on your TV. I'm thinking of getting one as I prefer to play games on the big screen

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-9818236-PlayStation-TV/dp/B00KJG45AQ

I also started Persona 5 today as I got fed up waiting for Mass Effect to get better. Played 2.5 hours so far, great game
Appreciate the info! I've played 16 hours so far. It's my first Persona game, but definitely not my last.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Is buying a Vita for Golden alone worth it?
Good console for JRPG's for sure, and a great handheld device, not sure it's worth getting now though, it is pretty much dead in the water at this stage.

Currently playing Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel on it, which is fantastic.

Persona 4 really is amazing though, if that helps.

Stormsurfer21

Good console for JRPG's for sure, and a great handheld device, not sure it's worth getting now though, it is pretty much dead in the water at this stage.

Currently playing Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel on it, which is fantastic.

Persona 4 really is amazing though, if that helps.
Oh, read something about LoH a while ago. It's definitely a game I would like to try, probably the PS3 version then. Seems like a very dense game.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
I wish you could take screenshots on ps4, they have banned it for this game for some reason

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
I think I prefer Persona 4 although this game is great too. Liked the story and characters more in that game. It seems theres less voiced dialogue for the starting characters Kyuji and Ann compared to P4G

Yosuke > Kyuji
Chie > Ann
Dojima and Nanako > Sajiro

It's still very good though and a lot of fun

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
It's freaking impossible to buy it here.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
So it turns out I have more money than sense, despite having a low income. :p

I ended up buying a PS4 Slim just to be able to play this game (and maybe a few others like Bloodborne and Horizon).

Loving Persona 5 so far! :drool: It's a real treat to be able to play a Persona game the way it's meant to be played. My previous experience with P3 and P4 was from using an emulator on PC.

Be sure to download the free DLCs from the PS Store, guys. Especially the Healing Item Set. It includes a Soma which you can sell for 50,000 yen! It's a very good item but 50k yen is a lot more valuable in the early game. :)

whatwha

Surprised there isn't more interest in this game here. Have most of the Cafe yet to discover JRPGs :confused:

Sarni

Here too. Can't you buy it digitally?
I did not want a digital copy, I am not a fan of buying full priced games digitally. If I pay €50 for it, I want a box.

I finally managed to get it in one store today, completely by accident. I don't have the time to properly play it for the next couple of weeks as I need to finish other games first but at first glance I am already sure it's going to be absolutely excellent.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Surprised there isn't more interest in this game here. Have most of the Cafe yet to discover JRPGs :confused:
I don't even know what jrpg means :confused:
I like a good rpg though.

feck sake, another game to add to the list!
And i just bought 7 games on the easter sale...
Never heard of this game, but will check it out right now.

whatwha

I don't even know what jrpg means :confused:
I like a good rpg though.
Japanese Role Playing Game.

I did not want a digital copy, I am not a fan of buying full priced games digitally. If I pay €50 for it, I want a box.

I finally managed to get it in one store today, completely by accident. I don't have the time to properly play it for the next couple of weeks as I need to finish other games first but at first glance I am already sure it's going to be absolutely excellent.
I hear you. I would have preferred to get a physical copy as well, but I really couldn't wait!

Sarni

It's one of these games where, if you are not into this genre (and I am not), you will think initially that you are going to hate it but onxe you've got it and started playing, you fell in love immediately. Would recommend Persona series even to people who have not played a single iRPG in their lives.

Stormsurfer21

It's one of these games where, if you are not into this genre (and I am not), you will think initially that you are going to hate it but onxe you've got it and started playing, you fell in love immediately. Would recommend Persona series even to people who have not played a single iRPG in their lives.
This! A lot of people think it's not their cup of tea, but wait till after they have played it :D

OT: Has Ni no Kuni II a release date yet?

izzydiggler

It would probably help if you could pick up a copy at a reasonable price - given the reviews, I thought I'd give it a go but not willing to spend the inflated prices.

Will get it eventually though - looks good.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I'm holding off until the summer after my exams. Is it as good as the reviews state?

And I think like @Sarni says the JRPG scene is one which is a bit eccentric in its user interface, layout etc... so people are a little put off or overwhelmed before they decide to buy.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"

But what about people like me?
People who get annoyed by the stupid facial expressions and screaming in animes?
That might be enough for me to not try this game.
And yes, i'm serious :lol:

Sarni

People who get annoyed by the stupid facial expressions and screaming in animes?
I don't like anime either. Still absolutely loved Persona 4. There was something about that game that just did not allow you to stop playing. I clocked 50 hours or so in about two weeks, I never do that.

Once I've finished Horizon I will do Yakuza next and then have a proper go at this. It looks great on the shelf so far. Has there ever been such a strong start of the year games wise? Most blockbusters usually come in October and November.

whatwha

I'm someone who doesn't usually like anime or Japanese games but I love the Persona games. The facial expressions are quite sane, there's little to no screaming, and the girls even have reasonable pitches to their voice.

whatwha

Bah, I seem to have walked into the perfectionism/completionist trap. I catch myself googling all sorts of details in order to maximize the efficiency of how I spend my days, and get the most out of stat boosts/social links. Even googled a single monster type in the first palace to be able to hit its weakness. :rolleyes:

I'll probably play this game a second time at some point. I should hold off on the completionism until then.

Maxii

Paad
Dying to play this game, but I'm broke at the moment. Watched someone on Twitch play it for a little bit and thought the UI was a bit too extreme at first but started to really like it after a while

whatwha

Finished the second palace. Thought I had massive amounts of cash until I upgraded all my team members' equipment. Shit's getting expensive now.

Post about the game you buggers! :p

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Bah, I seem to have walked into the perfectionism/completionist trap. I catch myself googling all sorts of details in order to maximize the efficiency of how I spend my days, and get the most out of stat boosts/social links. Even googled a single monster type in the first palace to be able to hit its weakness. :rolleyes:

I'll probably play this game a second time at some point. I should hold off on the completionism until then.
If you really want to fully complete this game (getting Platinum) you actually have to play this game twice as certain trophies can only be obtained then. As usual with Persona games there is a new game plus, which means you start the second playthrough with things you carried over from the first one (most importantly the personal stats).

For anyone who thinks of picking up this game: Do yourself the favour and play the first time blind without a guide or spoiler. Just enjoy the main story (which is for JRPG really freaking good) and focus on personal stats. That makes the second playthrough far more comfortable as you have more than enough time (it is in that aspect less strict the P4) and the personal stories aside the main plot easily justify a second playthrough.

I love Persona 3 & 4 (both the originals and the new ones) and waited over half a decade for this game. My expectations were sky high and that game exceeded even these. I hoped for a game on the level of P4 Golden and it is even better than it. It is basically a more polished version, which still feels different enoguh due to the different setting and overall themes.

The art can only be described as fantastic, the music is great and the game play smooth (love the added movement in the dungeons) and without grinding even challenging at some points. The cast is diverse and fleshed out.

Overall the game can rightly be described as a master piece, not because it is revoltunary but extremely well made. The best JRPG of the current generation (and unlesss Ni No Kuni II delivers immensively I don´t see this changing), IMO even the best overall RPG (but I normally lean more towards Eastern RPGs). Probably one of the five best games I ever played.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
On my second playthrough now. I'd give it a solid 8.75 out of 10. The graphics could be a bit better but apart from that it has everything you want from a persona game

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Think this will be my first persona game. Bit weird considering how much i love rpgs.
Will buy it after my trip to Old Trafford for the palace game. :)

siw2007

Awesome game!! At the end of the 4th palace and am loving everything about it. I couldn't imagine any game that makes 'returning your book at the library, going to the park to hang out with your friends and then go home to make coffee' really fun. The turn based combat is really good, though am not too enamoured with the amount of 1HKO moves, brainwashing and anything to that effect used against you. Anyway, I've got 17 days left to finish the palace during the summer holidays and am looking forward to all the confidant building I can do in that time.

Revan

Assumptionman
Awesome game!! At the end of the 4th palace and am loving everything about it. I couldn't imagine any game that makes 'returning your book at the library, going to the park to hang out with your friends and then go home to make coffee' really fun. The turn based combat is really good, though am not too enamoured with the amount of 1HKO moves, brainwashing and anything to that effect used against you. Anyway, I've got 17 days left to finish the palace during the summer holidays and am looking forward to all the confidant building I can do in that time.
Chrono Trigger.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Have to say, 30 hours in and I find the story compelling enough, and the battle system doesn't get more boring. But... The battle system is so far just a "guess the weakness" and when you find a weakness it's a win-button. Fusion and all that is interesting, but I do find it annoying with the inherited skills stuff, should just give us a way too choose from all of the fused monsters stuff or make a different system for that all over.

That aside, it's a grinding game, so however lacking i find the battles, I'll be enjoying this for a fair amount of hours (guessing around 100-200). Gotta keep 2 high level personas around at all time to cover all spell-options.

Cloud7

Got this today, already sank 7 hours into it and still on the first palace. Thoroughly enjoying it so far, and i'm sure I've barely even scratched the surface of it.

Cloud7

Just finished today. This was a masterpiece. One of the best games I've ever played.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Just finished today. This was a masterpiece. One of the best games I've ever played.
yeah, took me 105 hours in the end. An incredible game, only of the best RPG's ever for sure, a little let down by the poor English voices at times, think the Japanese version with subs would've been better.

Code-CX

I just bought this purely on the rave reviews it has recieved. Should I know anything before going in? Never played a persona game before.

DWelbz19

Recently bought it. Just reached the stage where the game lets you off the training wheels to go beat the Nonce PE Teachers palace. Enjoying so far - the narrative structure and UI is pretty interesting. Story is gripping enough, even when the game falls back into typical anime like tropes.

DWelbz19

Update: I have now completed the third palace. The game is pretty good, but I have a few gripes. It's very linear and repetitive - wake up, answer a question at school, grind to get social stats up (which can only be done twice a day otherwise the cat moans at you until you sleep), beat the palace - adults suck kidz rule - repeat.

Is there a point where the game bursts into life with a second wind? Because that 94 metacritic rating doesn't really seem justified to me. One of the better games of 2017, sure, but so far (15-20 hours in) I'd give it somewhere in the mid 80s.