Gaming Persona 5

Ainu

I just can't get into the story because it doesn't feel like i'm playing a game at all. Im just reading endless dialouge and watching cutscenes.
If you're not too far in and already feeling like that, I would just stop playing. I enjoyed it initially (yes even during those 10 hours of "tutorial") and started developing more and more of an aversion to it as the game went on. By the time I had finished it, I knew future Persona games aren't for me.

Irwin99

I loved this game but am I right in thinking that the newest release is just the same game with added content? I haven't looked into it too much so apologies if i've got it wrong.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I loved this game but am I right in thinking that the newest release is just the same game with added content? I haven't looked into it too much so apologies if i've got it wrong.
Around 40 hours of new content and the entire base game has been tweaked from the dialogue, to the Ui, to the combat. It's basically a revamp of the full game with loads of extra content but obviously a lot of it will be the same as the original.

I just ordered it. Feck it, most reviews say it's worth it even if you played the original when it came out and seems like a good way to spend 130+ hours in lockdown!

AaronRedDevil

Around 40 hours of new content and the entire base game has been tweaked from the dialogue, to the Ui, to the combat. It's basically a revamp of the full game with loads of extra content but obviously a lot of it will be the same as the original.

I just ordered it. Feck it, most reviews say it's worth it even if you played the original when it came out and seems like a good way to spend 130+ hours in lockdown!
Wait sorry. So it’s the same game and same story? But with 40 plus hours of extra content. Not a different story at all?

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
In dungeon 3 there are these hama enemies that instakill all my characters. What's the trick?

Gehrman

I'm 45 hours into this now. I'm going to complete because I bought it and it's not a bad game, but i really do feel it massively overrated. The dialouge is not good enough to warrant so much of it and it just makes you lose interest in following the story. In style and presentation I would give it 9 out of 10. In actual gameplay somewhere around 6. The pacing is absolutely dire and having the cat telling you to go sleep all the time drives me nuts. 75% of the game is mostly pointless dialoge and loading screens.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Obligatory: it’s a turn-based JRPG — what did you expect?

Gehrman

Obligatory: it’s a turn-based JRPG — what did you expect?
I don't really think all JRPG's are this heavy in dialouge, and a massive amount of time is lost in sleeping and watching loadscreens. I just managed to complete in 92 hours. There is no doubt that the art, visuals and presentation is great, but the quality of the writing is way too poor to warrant so much of it.

There is no denying that there was a massive amount of effort put into this, but I'd say that only 20% of the game is actual gameplay. It's a unique and good game, but I'm baffled that this is considered a contender for the best game in a generation and one of the best ever. I'm not denying the presentation or the effort, but the pacing is god awful and sitting through probably 50-60 hours of mostly pointless dialoge does not translate to enjoyment for me. Having a talking cat telling you to go sleep all the time drove me nuts as well.

For me

9/10 in art, graphics, presentation and music etc.
6-7 in gameplay. It's good when the game let's you play, but most of the time you don't.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Been playing this as part of the PS Plus Collection and enjoying it. I am starting to get an idea of why people said it takes up so much time.

I’ve just been given free roam after school and it definitely seems overwhelming with the amount of possibilities. Torn between working a job, improving skills and meeting with confidants. Or even finding new confidants. Shibuya station is very hard to navigate. I got a job at the convenience store and have 12 days left now to steal the heart. Not sure if the done thing is to build yourself up and use that time or have a few attempts at it whilst you have the days.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I don't really think all JRPG's are this heavy in dialouge, and a massive amount of time is lost in sleeping and watching loadscreens. I just managed to complete in 92 hours. There is no doubt that the art, visuals and presentation is great, but the quality of the writing is way too poor to warrant so much of it.

There is no denying that there was a massive amount of effort put into this, but I'd say that only 20% of the game is actual gameplay. It's a unique and good game, but I'm baffled that this is considered a contender for the best game in a generation and one of the best ever. I'm not denying the presentation or the effort, but the pacing is god awful and sitting through probably 50-60 hours of mostly pointless dialoge does not translate to enjoyment for me. Having a talking cat telling you to go sleep all the time drove me nuts as well.

For me

9/10 in art, graphics, presentation and music etc.
6-7 in gameplay. It's good when the game let's you play, but most of the time you don't.
Old comment but this is sort of a general problem with JRPGs. They aren't the most nuanced when it comes to dialogue and, while they've been getting better, they're liable to add as much as they can rather than streamline to its most effective point. People seem to go nuts for it though. Yakuza, Fire Emblem: Three Houses both suffered from it.

This I think is why I still prefer more old school ones. The limit on characters during conversations helps a lot.

Gehrman

Old comment but this is sort of a general problem with JRPGs. They aren't the most nuanced when it comes to dialogue and, while they've been getting better, they're liable to add as much as they can rather than streamline to its most effective point. People seem to go nuts for it though. Yakuza, Fire Emblem: Three Houses both suffered from it.

This I think is why I still prefer more old school ones. The limit on characters during conversations helps a lot.
Yeah. I bought fire Emblem recently, but couldn't get on with it. The Yakuza series. Well I think Yakuza 0 had a great story and great characters but the pacing was definitely way too slow. I played through the whole series apart from the newly released one, but I only thought Yakuza 0, Kiwami 1 and 2 were worth the money and effort.

Massive Spanner

. Not sure if the done thing is to build yourself up and use that time or have a few attempts at it whilst you have the days.
To maximise time you should do it as early as possible and in as few days as possible. Pretty much every palace is doable in a day if you stock up well enough.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
To maximise time you should do it as early as possible and in as few days as possible. Pretty much every palace is doable in a day if you stock up well enough.
I started it with 4 days remaining :lol: finished it with one left.

el3mel

I didn't play the original, only played Royal and it was easily 10/10 experience for me. Got it on a sale in Sep for 39 dollars and after putting on 102 hours in my playthrough felt it was an absolute steal.

But I wasn't really experiencing with the formula for the first time, since before it I played 4 Golden on PC and absolutely loved it, can rate it 9/10 (just because I didn't really like most bosses) so it was easy to know I would love 5 Royal too. I would say the party in 4 was better overall and I liked the theme of the story in 4 more but 5 is much more superior in gameplay design, has better silent protagonist imo, and its story is still definitely enjoyable and fun to follow. Bosses were a lot better too.

I can consider myself a new big fan for the series. Though it has to be said, this series is definitely not for everyone. Not even for every JRPG fan. It needs certain mindset going in it in order to enjoy it.

Last edited:

Massive Spanner

I will say that it's a really slow burn early on. And by early on I mean the first 15-20 hours. It takes til at least the second or third palace to really get going. Even by JRPG standards it's absolutely massive and that means the early part is a lot of dialogue and tutorials.
I didn't play the original, only played Royal and it was easily 10/10 experience for me. Got it on a sale in Sep for 39 dollars and after putting on 102 hours in my playthrough felt it was an absolute steal.

But I wasn't really experiencing with the formula for the first time, since before it i played 4 Golden on PC and absolutely loved it, cna date it 9/10 (just because I didn't really like most bosses) so it was easy to know I would love 5 Royal too. I would say the party in 4 was better overall and I liked the theme of the story in 4 more but 5 is much more superior in gameplay design, has better silent protagonist imo, and its story is still definitely enjoyable and fun to follow. Bosses were a lot better too.

I can consider myself a new big fan for the series. Though it has to be said, this series is definitely not for everyone. Not even for every JRPG fan. It needs certain mindset going in it in order to enjoy it.
I agree. I've played the original and royal now and it was a 10/10 both times. It's annoyingly dialogue heavy at times and slow to get going (though royal does improve the early game a lot) but overall it's incredible.

Nemesis9

I would highly recommend anyone playing this to play the Royal edition. I realise that Persona 5 is on PS Plus but the additional content in Royal is well worth it.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I sunk so many hours into this.... I got to the ship palace (where it does that annoying thing where you turn into a rat) and stole the treasure... and then I just never played it again after that?

I have no idea why... I was enjoying it! (apart from the rat thing)

el3mel

I sunk so many hours into this.... I got to the ship palace (where it does that annoying thing where you turn into a rat) and stole the treasure... and then I just never played it again after that?

I have no idea why... I was enjoying it! (apart from the rat thing)
There's basically only one short final palace after that with the biggest plot twist in the game then the ending. This isn't much. A little bit weird time to stop at. :D

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I’ve just done Madurame’s palace. Racing to finish this before Cyberpunk is out.

Irwin99

Everytime I see this thread bumped all the music from the game comes straight back to me :D

el3mel

Everytime I see this thread bumped all the music from the game comes straight back to me :D
The soundtrack of this game is so stylish, so catchy, so unforgettable really.

I have been listening the new song of the added palace in Royal and I honestly think it's one of the best gaming songs I have heard this year.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I am probably halfway through Futaba’s palace. How much of the game do I have left? Is it realistic to expect to finish before Cyberpunk is out?

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I am probably halfway through Futaba’s palace. How much of the game do I have left? Is it realistic to expect to finish before Cyberpunk is out?
You're about halfway, palace-wise. Although should say that I've only played the standard version, Royal might be different.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
You're about halfway, palace-wise. Although should say that I've only played the standard version, Royal might be different.
Thanks. I’m also playing the standard version.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
How long before it gets going? I just want to get into some fights and stuff. I’ve just arrived for my first day at School and met some douche (his names probably solius)

Moby

Dick
How long before it gets going? I just want to get into some fights and stuff. I’ve just arrived for my first day at School and met some douche (his names probably solius)
A lot depends on your decisions. But you can hit the Palace right from where you are.

el3mel

It's a slow burner. However it actually kinda stars faster than P4G. In 4, literally the first 3-4 hours were nothing but dialogue, then you start the actual gameplay around 6 hours or so. This one started faster in comparison, but it's still a slow burner. There will be also a lot of fillers along the way so be warned.

Ultimately Persona is more about the journey than just the main plot. I think it absolutely thrives on fillers and dialogue but it's definitely not for everyone. It needs a very specific mindset going into it to appreciate it.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
It's a slow burner. However it actually kinda stars faster than P4G. In 4, literally the first 3-4 hours were nothing but dialogue, then you start the actual gameplay around 6 hours or so. This one started faster in comparison, but it's still a slow burner. There will be also a lot of fillers along the way so be warned.

Ultimately Persona is more about the journey than just the main plot. I think it absolutely thrives on fillers and dialogue but it's definitely not for everyone. It needs a very specific mindset going into it to appreciate it.
Thanks - I may park this then and come back to it when I have the time to properly play. It does seem like it will be a really good game - just don’t have the patience at the moment so sit through endless hours of dialogue!

Moby

Dick
I finished the first palace so a couple of noob questions.

I fused Arsene, I hope he's not necessarily needed later in the game.

Can I wait indefinitely before going to the next castle? I wanted to spend a lot more time in the real world getting jobs and increasing skills.

Massive Spanner

I finished the first palace so a couple of noob questions.

I fused Arsene, I hope he's not necessarily needed later in the game.

Can I wait indefinitely before going to the next castle? I wanted to spend a lot more time in the real world getting jobs and increasing skills.
You can fuse whatever Persona you want, so nope.

And no, not indefinitely. There will generally be a countdown timer showing how many days you've left to complete the next palace on the top right, once it becomes available. Once that shows up you are generally better off doing it early on as completing palaces opens up new dialogue choices etc - also because if you don't finish it before the countdown is done, it's game over.

Moby

Dick
You can fuse whatever Persona you want, so nope.

And no, not indefinitely. There will generally be a countdown timer showing how many days you've left to complete the next palace on the top right, once it becomes available. Once that shows up you are generally better off doing it early on as completing palaces opens up new dialogue choices etc - also because if you don't finish it before the countdown is done, it's game over.
No that's fine, I'm aware there's a deadline once you start a palace. But if I remember correctly my first visit to the palace was my own choice and only after going there I confronted the boss and the timer started.

Now I am at the point where I finished the first one and have not even identified the next target. So I was asking can I just keep on delaying that and keep doing normal stuff. Unless I identify the target there won't be another palace I can go to right?