Gaming Persona 5

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Persona games get a lot of spin offs. 4 had a dancing game and 2 fighting ones as well.

But as a main game there's only really one original and one enhanced edition with more content and QOF improvement (Royal).

These spin offs are mostly canon but they don't affect the main story itself in any way. They just happen after the events of the main game.
Thanks!

siw2007

Was planning to try the Steam version. Beside if the Steam version ends up having high sales maybe it will convince them to bump up more Personas on PC.
Forgot about steam version, that’s probs a good choice too.

Moby

Dick
I just finished the true ending on the base persona 5 run I had been doing and absolutely loved the final arc. I am glad I looked up online on how to get there and not end the game after finishing the final palace as it was the best fights the game had. The final fight was super long but the persona reveal at the end was totally worth it.

Absolutely brilliant game overall. So much praise regarding the art design, music, combat mechanics and different themes of all the palaces that are like their own mini games. Story was pretty good as well.

Tottenhamguy

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Never played the game but watched the whole walkthrough by JohneAwesome. Really enjoyed the game throughout but thought the romance scenes were a bit weird.

Moby

Dick
Never played the game but watched the whole walkthrough by JohneAwesome. Really enjoyed the game throughout but thought the romance scenes were a bit weird.
There is definitely some story content and a lot of dialogue sequences that are quite cheesy but you can pretty much skip all of that and it doesn't impact that actual gameplay. I started doing that when I was further along in the game and it made the experience a lot better. Basically you mainly focus on actual combat and getting through the palaces and only some bits of daytime story which are important.

I finished the true final ending with 108 hours which would have been 120 had I been sat reading every single dialogue and off topic sequences. But apart from that it's a super fun game.

el3mel

I have put on 11 hours so far into Strikers. So far so good. I really like the combat and while it borrows a lot from musou games in terms of crazy number of enemies and ability to sweep most of them with one or two attacks, it's still a very Persona in its core and managing your SP is crucial in bosses and tough encounters.

Though I'm a little bit worried repetitiveness might kick on later considering how the second area seems to work nearly similar to the first one bar the place design. Hopefully it won't be an issue.

el3mel

Finished Persona 5 Strikers yesterday. Took me about 42 hours.

Very fun and entertaining journey. I was afraid of it getting repetitive because the first 3 dungeons were very similar but the game shakes the formula after that the dungeons become different a little bit in design. Still I think they should have had some kind of puzzles like the palaces to make them more unique.

Story was quite decent for most part, but I found the last act to be surprisingly weak and rushed. Without saying much, anyone who played 4 or 5 will predict where it was going or who's the main antagonist from the get go, but unlike 4 and 5, I found the development of such antagonist and the last few dungeons to be very rushed. The final boss was very underwhelming as well.

But overall still an entertaining enough journey and it's always fun to see these characters talk and interact with each other.

LovelyLittlePanda

Supports
Feyenoord
I only play on PC and loved Persona 4 for its story and characters.

Persona 5 isn't out on steam, but Strikers is.

Will playing Strikers lessen my enjoyment of P5? I have never played previous spinoffs.

I don't mind waiting at all (or so I keep telling myself).

@el3mel

el3mel

I only play on PC and loved Persona 4 for its story and characters.

Persona 5 isn't out on steam, but Strikers is.

Will playing Strikers lessen my enjoyment of P5? I have never played previous spinoffs.

I don't mind waiting at all (or so I keep telling myself).

@el3mel
Hello @LovelyLittlePanda

Strikers barely mention the story events in the main game, bar mentioning the main villain about once or twice (which isn't a big deal imo), so it won't spoil the main game for you that much, or barely at all. Some very integral characters in the main game aren't even mentioned here at all. It's mostly a contained story on its own.

However, at the same time you might find it hard to relate to the characters, since the game assumes you already know them from the main game and proceeds to use the chemistry already established between them in the group chat, instead of re-building it from scratch. No character gets much development here from the main cast, because they already had their development arc in the main game.

Other than that you'll be safe. If this is the only option you have and want to play it I don't find a problem in playing it and returning to 5 later, but of course, it's always better to play 5 first to get all the references and understand all characters.

I don't know if they're planning on bringing 5 to PC or not, might be a long time till this happen. I heard some could emulate it on PC using a PS3 emulator ? (Since yeah, the original P5 also came to PS3).

LovelyLittlePanda

Supports
Feyenoord
Hello @LovelyLittlePanda

Strikers barely mention the story events in the main game, bar mentioning the main villain about once or twice (which isn't a big deal imo), so it won't spoil the main game for you that much, or barely at all. Some very integral characters in the main game aren't even mentioned here at all. It's mostly a contained story on its own.

However, at the same time you might find it hard to relate to the characters, since the game assumes you already know them from the main game and proceeds to use the chemistry already established between them in the group chat, instead of re-building it from scratch. No character gets much development here from the main cast, because they already had their development arc in the main game.

Other than that you'll be safe. If this is the only option you have and want to play it I don't find a problem in playing it and returning to 5 later, but of course, it's always better to play 5 first to get all the references and understand all characters.

I don't know if they're planning on bringing 5 to PC or not, might be a long time till this happen. I heard some could emulate it on PC using a PS3 emulator ? (Since yeah, the original P5 also came to PS3).
Appreciate the detailed answer. I think I'd enjoy it more once I meet the characters in the main game.

P4 gold on steam was a big succes, I'm positive they're considering releasing 5 for pc as well.

el3mel

Appreciate the detailed answer. I think I'd enjoy it more once I meet the characters in the main game.

P4 gold on steam was a big succes, I'm positive they're considering releasing 5 for pc as well.
P4 Golden on PC was also my intro to the series, so I'm not far from you. I got it last year and was blown away by the whole social sim mixed with the RPG and the story, so I bought Royal next on PS4 and the rest is history. I literally became a big Persona fan in about than 6 months. :lol:

Hopefully they port 5 Royal to PC for everyone, and I hope they also port 3 as it's only popular one I'm missing now.

LovelyLittlePanda

Supports
Feyenoord
P4 Golden on PC was also my intro to the series, so I'm not far from you. I got it last year and was blown away by the whole social sim mixed with the RPG and the story, so I bought Royal next on PS4 and the rest is history. I literally became a big Persona fan in about than 6 months. :lol:

Hopefully they port 5 Royal to PC for everyone, and I hope they also port 3 as it's only popular one I'm missing now.
Hear hear

I started P4 on PS2 before I moved out years ago, but never got a chance to finish it until someone gifted it recently. First time in 10 years I played a game without any mates :lol:

My only issue is the game being too long to do another playthrough. I'd rather watch the few bits I missed on Youtube. I play it like a filthy casual though.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Everything about this game is delightful. Just finished Madarame's palace.

Music, top notch
Characters, likable
Story, works well as a serial format, reminds me of a YA novel
Combat, simple but effective
Presentation, beautiful!

Only downside so far is the dialogue has a habit of being very drawn out. Dare I say like a TV show with filler eps? I tend to hit fast forward a fair bit during moments that I'm sure aren't important - notably the text conversations.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I've never played any of the Persona games but number 5 is on GP. Would I need to know the backstory to enjoy it? And is it worth it?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I've never played any of the Persona games but number 5 is on GP. Would I need to know the backstory to enjoy it? And is it worth it?
I hadn't played any of the previous ones and didn't feel like I missed anything. It's definitely worth it, very long but enjoyable all the way through.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
No they are completely standalone. It's one of the best JRPG's ever. Royal is around 120+ hours long so it's absolutely worth it.

I strongly recommended playing Persona 4 Golden too though as it still holds up well and has an even better story. Only downside is the dungeons are randomly generated which can be hard to go back to after the intricate dungeons of this.

Eckers99

I hadn't played any of the previous ones and didn't feel like I missed anything. It's definitely worth it, very long but enjoyable all the way through.
No they are completely standalone. It's one of the best JRPG's ever. Royal is around 120+ hours long so it's absolutely worth it.

I strongly recommended playing Persona 4 Golden too though as it still holds up well and has an even better story. Only downside is the dungeons are randomly generated which can be hard to go back to after the intricate dungeons of this.
The speed I play games at, I'll still be playing this next Christmas. Good to know it's standalone though. Cheers fellas, might get stuck in when I've finished Plague Tale. Sounds good.

Eckers99

Give it a try and find out. It's an acquired taste I think and my mate couldn't get on with it at all.
I feel like a quitter when I sack off games so have a habit of trying to make sure it's my cup of tea before getting stuck in. Luckily I've enjoyed most of what I've tried on GP so it's not been much of an issue!

Ainu

Everything about this game is delightful. Just finished Madarame's palace.

Music, top notch
Characters, likable
Story, works well as a serial format, reminds me of a YA novel
Combat, simple but effective
Presentation, beautiful!

Only downside so far is the dialogue has a habit of being very drawn out. Dare I say like a TV show with filler eps? I tend to hit fast forward a fair bit during moments that I'm sure aren't important - notably the text conversations.
It's extreme. I'm not sure if it improved in P5 Royal, but in the normal game it felt like the writers didn't trust their audience to understand anything, so they just repeat everything about 50 times to make sure you got it. The writing in general is pretty awful in my opinion.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I have never played a game in this franchise and I only play one game a year. Santa Claus (The OG orange cnut, not the American fatty) got me this. I'm stoked just from the start up video, Jpop music and flashy animations :lol:

Should I play it with Japanese or English voices? Any other tips/things I need to know?

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I have never played a game in this franchise and I only play one game a year. Santa Claus (The OG orange cnut, not the American fatty) got me this. I'm stoked just from the start up video, Jpop music and flashy animations :lol:

Should I play it with Japanese or English voices? Any other tips/things I need to know?
The English dub is really good.

The first dungeon is the best but the story gets more interesting as it goes along IMO. Think of it like a slowburning TV show with lots of intrigue that builds and resolves towards the end.

Make sure each Persona has one of the main elements - don't fuse them and lose them if you don't have another persona with that element already.

Befriend the doctor as quickly as possible to get half price items and buy the accessory that restores SP.

Hands on Yoshizawa, she's mine.

Last edited:

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
The English sub is done very well.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
The English sub is done very well.
The English dub is really good.

The first dungeon is the best but the story gets more interesting as it goes along IMO. Think of it like a slowburning TV show with lots of intrigue that builds and resolves towards the end.

Make sure each Persona has one of the main elements - don't fuse them and lose them if you don't have another persona with that element already.

Befriend the doctor as quickly as possible to get half price items and buy the accessory that restores SP.

Hands on Yoshizawa, she's mine.
Thanks! Haven't met her yet, but I'd divorce my wife for Morgana.

Grib

Serious question, when does the game start?
Seen all the excellent review scores and all this hype. Played many rpg/jrpg before so thought I'll give it a blast

I must have been on it for about 30/40 minutes? last night listening to dialogue until it mercifully let me save it and go to bed

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Seen all the excellent review scores and all this hype. Played many rpg/jrpg before so thought I'll give it a blast

I must have been on it for about 30/40 minutes? last night listening to dialogue until it mercifully let me save it and go to bed
The start of the game feels long I agree but it does get going once you exit that first dungeon. I was initially struck by how dialogue-heavy it was because I was paying attention to everything thinking it was important to know about. Eventually you'll work out lots can be skipped without missing much story-wise. Frankly it has an excessive amount of dialogue for what you actually need to know. It's very Japanese in terms of having so much plot dedicated to random character reactions.

I'd say it properly gets started during the second dungeon when you recruit a new party member, which is maybe 10-15 hours in after most of the tutorials are finished.

It is ultimately 60% life simulator and 40% RPG.

Last edited:

VanDeBank

Ma’am

I'm 3-4h hours in and it feels like the game is just getting started, ie you get to make your own choices on how to spend your time and such.

The male cat?
She's meowvelicious.
My suspicion is she'll transform into a real stunner because she mentioned she lost her human form at the start of the game

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Damn, okay, see how it goes then :lol:
If you're playing Royal, it's about 120-130 hours long. it's massive, the first 10-15 hours are basically a tutorial/prologue.

There will always be sections where you're sitting watching to cutscenes with dialogue for nearly an hour though, that's just the way the game is. It requires a lot of patience.

Grib

If you're playing Royal, it's about 120-130 hours long. it's massive, the first 10-15 hours are basically a tutorial/prologue.

There will always be sections where you're sitting watching to cutscenes with dialogue for nearly an hour though, that's just the way the game is. It requires a lot of patience.
okay cheers, at least I know what to expect

VanDeBank

Ma’am
okay cheers, at least I know what to expect
From what I gather the game is about is connecting with your friends and their struggles and solving some grand mystery/conspiracy within the year. So once you've heard enough bullshit about their problems and the surrounding mystery, the dialogue/cut scenes should become less of a bore and more of an anime film, but this is just a hunch of mine.

edit: I haven't unlocked any thieves guild functionality yet, but is there a way in which to connect with other cafites or is it more of a general online/achievement thing? I'm on steam/pc.