PES 2020 x Manchester United

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
No. Just. No.
I have Fifa18, Fifa19 and PES18 and PES19 installed on my PS4. I have played Fifa for years until I started playing PES17 and upwards.
There is one thing you absolutely cannot claim to be superior in Fifa over PES and that's physics of the ball, players, passing and shooting. At least not in te latest versions of both games.

Fifa appeal is in its pick up and play ease of use. You can ping passes around like iniesta. PES takes a bit more thought to getting around the pitch and pinging passes like you do in Fifa you are likely to misplace one.

In PES the ball actually bobbles and bounces alot when performing passes. In Fifa the balls skids alot like a hockey puck on an ice rink. There is nothing realistic about that. Also in Fifa, the players have very little back lift when passing or sometimes shooting.

PES doesnt have licences but then again it doesnt need to because it simulates the game of football better than Fifa and that's where a football game should have its focus. On how it actually plays.
When even Fifa Esports players are getting fed up with the game then you know the series is in trou le and Konami has steadily been putting out great PES games for the last 5 years.

Its not long before people start to realise that licences and official kits are not everything in a football game.
Thank the lord someone said this.

Absolutely love PES, briefly switched to FIFA on the PS3, but PES feels like much more of a game of football. The passing just feels satisfying.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
PES is better than FIFA but that's not saying much, they're both pretty shite overall.
I agree. I find these arguments pointless because ultimately both games are pretty crap. While PES has its advantages in gameplay, the overall package is just dreadful as well.

EireRed_GS

No. Just. No.
I have Fifa18, Fifa19 and PES18 and PES19 installed on my PS4. I have played Fifa for years until I started playing PES17 and upwards.
There is one thing you absolutely cannot claim to be superior in Fifa over PES and that's physics of the ball, players, passing and shooting. At least not in te latest versions of both games.

Fifa appeal is in its pick up and play ease of use. You can ping passes around like iniesta. PES takes a bit more thought to getting around the pitch and pinging passes like you do in Fifa you are likely to misplace one.

In PES the ball actually bobbles and bounces alot when performing passes. In Fifa the balls skids alot like a hockey puck on an ice rink. There is nothing realistic about that. Also in Fifa, the players have very little back lift when passing or sometimes shooting.

PES doesnt have licences but then again it doesnt need to because it simulates the game of football better than Fifa and that's where a football game should have its focus. On how it actually plays.
When even Fifa Esports players are getting fed up with the game then you know the series is in trou le and Konami has steadily been putting out great PES games for the last 5 years.

Its not long before people start to realise that licences and official kits are not everything in a football game.
I found after year of playing FIFA alot of things seemed to look a bit repetitive, on how players run, tackle and alot of goals all meshed together as they tended to all look very similar. It did improve around 2017/18 but compared to PES it seemed little more rigid. PES has a bit more fluid and realistic flow. passed look different, tackles can be different and goal opportunities feel more natural.

I remember in FIFA if a player had over a certain rating a shot from a particular angle would always be a goal. if i was struggling in a game and desperate for a goal i knew a run to the by-line and cut in with a shot would always get me one. In PES the goal chances just seem more realistic.

But of course only my opinion. Im sure theres others feel other way around

Web of Bissaka

Overall, none of the game in general is better.
Each FIFA and PES have aspect of it better and worser than the other. Each of their previous generation games also had better aspect than the current/recent generation which removed the great features it once had. If the best parts of all the games can be combine into one, that would be an awesome best complete football game. FIFA tend to have a smoother and light fun gameplay, but gets boring quickly since it's ridiculously too easy. PES is far more challenging and difficult to play but have that RPG element side of it so it's all fun, although the visual side of it can be improve. Managing in FIFA is not challenging at all.. PES though you have to seriously manage stuffs up or else.

Planning to get and repetitive-swap-play both PES 20 and FIFA 20 this year.
The PES licensing, United are going to have awesome set of kits and exciting-on-paper squad of youngsters, Becks and Park Ji Sung ('legends' in PES) to likely get more makeovers and features, I'm sold with PES, more United legends are also being promised to appear. After skipping FIFA 19, this year end I'm getting the 20 version.

Expecting the upcoming reality season 19/20 to be so bad, escapism it is~

TRUERED89

Fifa sucked this year. If fifa has better gameplay than pes, then pes must be really bad
It's all opinion, you may really enjoy PES. It's just not for me, always enjoyed FIFA a lot more. FUT is undoubtedly better than PES's rubbish "My Club" too.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
FUT is an aggressively monetised shit-show.

NotQuiteManc

FUT is an aggressively monetised shit-show.
As the EA exec said recently something like "We don't call it lootboxes. We call it surprise mechanics". Fairly obvious companies like EA doesn't make games as a "fun" thing anymore. Mostly to fleece uneducated players to buy packs costing hundreds, this is after charging full price for the game every year.

Gasolin

It's all opinion, you may really enjoy PES. It's just not for me, always enjoyed FIFA a lot more. FUT is undoubtedly better than PES's rubbish "My Club" too.
FUT is slightly better because you can target a specific player but that's it. PES is much much better for the ball touch. I get the opinion stuff but I think FIFA does not bring the same feeling on the table regarding the ball weight, it's just the way it is, and that part is not subjective.

Eli Zee

Yeah . I’ve been playing fifa since 2002 on whatever old ass system I had back then...

The last 2 years I spent over $1000 on ultimate team... really made me bitter. Everyone still had crazy good teams compared to me. And the gamePlay honestly was trash... just opinion but I’ve played fifa for years and this year was just awful in my opinion

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
No PES in 90s so it was all FIFA
PES was far superior in 2000s till 2007ish
FIFA got the upper hand from 2009 to 2012ish

Since then both are pretty shite.

padzilla

Hipster
Why is David Beckham in the game and how can you use him? Also why are they showing footage or him in a kit that you can’t use in the game? Sounds a bit Woodward-esque actually in how pointless and no doubt expensive it was to put together.

padzilla

Hipster
International Superstar Soccer was a revelation when it came out in the late 90s. But the real game changer, pardon the pun was PES, which came out in 2000. Before those games people were making do with FIFA which was frankly pants.

MrSingh2002

No PES in 90s so it was all FIFA
PES was far superior in 2000s till 2007ish
FIFA got the upper hand from 2009 to 2012ish

Since then both are pretty shite.
This is spot on and my exact feelings. I haven't tried PES since 2010 though so I might trial it and see if its improved at all.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Both games have been poor in recent years.

Fifa finally putting in a proper career mode which doesn’t get boring after 2 seasons could be a game changer

MiceOnMeth

Yeah . I’ve been playing fifa since 2002 on whatever old ass system I had back then...

The last 2 years I spent over $1000 on ultimate team... really made me bitter. Everyone still had crazy good teams compared to me. And the gamePlay honestly was trash... just opinion but I’ve played fifa for years and this year was just awful in my opinion
Christ.. no wonder Ultimate team is the only game mode EA care about when they have chumps (sorry) pumping 500 dollars into it yearly!

MiceOnMeth

Both games have been poor in recent years.

Fifa finally putting in a proper career mode which doesn’t get boring after 2 seasons could be a game changer
Imagine having the actual united academy players in the academy and being able to play matches as the under 18s, being able to change your style of kit every season and even change the sponsor on the kit
Imagine realistic transfers where teams would sign and sell 4 players each year minimum and united wouldn't still have phil jones and Rojo as their first choice defenders in 2026
Career mode In fifa and pes could be a million times better without even that much work ea and konami are just lazy bastards

Eli Zee

Christ.. no wonder Ultimate team is the only game mode EA care about when they have chumps (sorry) pumping 500 dollars into it yearly!
Agreed. It was a dumb thing to do.

Anyway, I am never gonna play UT or fifa again hahah. Also, it’s addictive. opening the packs hoping for a crazy player, and you get shit 98% of the time. It should be illegal the way fifa rips people off that buy packs

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Interesting news. It's best days might well be in the past, and it's it been outclassed by a competitor, but enough about Man Utd. I wonder will PES ever be top dog again?

WensleyMU

Back in the day, PES and the Master League was the PEAK of all football games (except Jumpers for goalposts in TIF). FIFA hasn't been great since RTWC 98 and the absurd decision to drop indoor football.

predator

Youth NITK
I had PES 1 and 2, on ps2 and they were brilliant. However I remember from fifa 03 onwards I've always had fifa, started buying it myself around 08 I think when I was 14 years old. I've just realised I've had every single one of the previous 16 FIFA games ' I must be a loyal customer.

I've only played the PES demos since and I do think the gameplay reflects real life football more than FIFA, which is so commercially orientated, but I've been so put off by the commentating, the interface, the naming rights and because the majority of my mates had FIFA.

However I'm so close to switching allegiances for the next release because I've become so disillusioned with the past 2 or 3 FIFA's, and I also dont play with my mates anymore instead just play FUT online games.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
They're both shite. PES used to be good I think around 2003-06 but the only real football game was FIFA 1998 Road to World Cup (the one with 3 types of players' appearance: black, white and bald).

Ekeke

Its hilarious that they've given up with the gameplay and think that getting a few teams naming rights will sell more copies

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Its hilarious that they've given up with the gameplay and think that getting a few teams naming rights will sell more copies
It works, though.
Branding/marketing sells more than spending that money on developing a superior product. This sounds crazy, but it actually works.
This is why some movies have astronomical marketing budgets, which sometimes exceed the production cost of the movie.

Ekeke

It works, though.
Branding/marketing sells more than spending that money on developing a superior product. This sounds crazy, but it actually works.
This is why some movies have astronomical marketing budgets, which sometimes exceed the production cost of the movie.
It might, but its the polar opposite of what made PES the favoured game for many people. They didnt care about the license or realism of the graphics, things that Fifa had. It was the gameplay and fun animations (skills etc) that set it apart and made its name. I would be expecting them to try to get back to what made them popular in the first place, rather than leaning into these things that Fifa used to have over them.

I think you're somewhat right and there are people who are more likely to buy the game based on their team being licensed and the graphics, but its a different type of player and crowd to the old players who played from the earlier games. I dont think it serves them.