Gaming PES 21

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Couldn’t see a thread, it’s released in 4 days, anyone going to play?

I played MyClub on PES20 and really enjoyed it, much more so than I ever really enjoyed FIFA, really liked how easy it was to build a team of legends and top players too without spending any money (refreshing compared to the bullshit of FUT)

I also like how honest they’ve been about this being just a season update and not a standalone brand new game with new features like FIFA claim.

Macern

Pee pee pants
I also like how honest they’ve been about this being just a season update and not a standalone brand new game with new features like FIFA claim.
It’s not because they’re more ‘honest’ than EA, it’s because it literally isn’t anything new to the actual game. Konami are going to spend two years working on a new game (PES 22) for the next gen consoles and therefore they’re just updating PES 20 with the latest transfers/kits and calling it a season update. It’s the same game as PES 20.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
It’s just a reskin of PES 20 with new kits added.

Ramos

25£/30€ for just an update seems a bit much to me. Probably gonna skip it, even though i really enjoyed Pes2020 and still play it.

Dave_MUFC

Bought PES 20 after coming off many years from FIFA and getting fed up, but didn't play it anywhere near enough.

They've shifted their focus to try and compete with FUT, with their own version, which I don't find that interesting.

I mainly like to play online with mid table teams across the leagues, but found that you can't match with someone similar most of the time, so end up picking someone like Crystal Palace and having to play against Bayern/Barcelona etc. Got boring real quick.

Managed to sell my copy for £20 during lockdown and have it on GamePass now, but don't think I'll be investing in either of the console football games this year, just don't play them enough to make it worthwhile.

No doubt this one will be out on GamePass come December.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
It’s not because they’re more ‘honest’ than EA, it’s because it literally isn’t anything new to the actual game. Konami are going to spend two years working on a new game (PES 22) for the next gen consoles and therefore they’re just updating PES 20 with the latest transfers/kits and calling it a season update. It’s the same game as PES 20.
Right, and they could easily pretend there is something new like FIFA have done for the last 5 years. “New real feel first touch authentic control system”, “new defensive awareness AI”, “new shot timing and placement mechanism”. It’s all bollocks. They could easily have pulled that nonsense and decided not to.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I only got PES20 a month or so ago... And whilst I love it (bar a few minor complaints) , I'm not paying 20 quid for a simple update.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Funnily,talking about PES, I found PES20 really f*cking annoying yesterday :D .
The AI was waaaay too dominant. Their play was faster,their players pressing was just insane and every shot they had was a damn Adriano-esq rocket blaster.

When PES is like that I. Absolutely. Despise.It.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Funnily,talking about PES, I found PES20 really f*cking annoying yesterday :D .
The AI was waaaay too dominant. Their play was faster,their players pressing was just insane and every shot they had was a damn Adriano-esq rocket blaster.

When PES is like that I. Absolutely. Despise.It.
I've played about 100 odd games and I just cannot make the jump up to Superstar... it becomes an incredibly frustrating and unenjoyable experience. I'll basically either win the game 1-0 or lose it 1-0 (but most likely draw it 0-0) .

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
As a rule with PES,as I've been a long time PES gamer, I play on the highest difficulty possible. Its just how I roll, even when the game pisses me off. But last night on Superstar level it really took the biscuit. I just started laughing in the end because I just couldn't do anything against the AI. Whether the opposition was Juve or Bournemouth the game was unplayable.

On a side note,I went the whole PL campaign unbeaten with United and I was expecting some sort of reward or achievement unlocked but nothing. :lol:

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Oddly,I played a few games on the Legend difficulty and its rather boring. Its slower. The AI tends to be less mad with its pressing and alot more creative but once they have the ball its a hard in getting it back.

It feels less cheaty compared to the Superstar difficulty,funnily enough.

Woodzy

Been enjoying PES 2020 a lot lately and loving it to be honest, but i'm not sure I can justify another £25 on what is essentially just a live update with new kits.

Hoof the ball

But they are more honest, hence the very fact that they've said that this edition isn't a new game with new gameplay. I credit PES for actually taking a year off to make sure their Unreal engine next-gen title meets the standard fans expect of them; Fifa on the other hand? full release of new game this year, and they'll cramm a next-gen FIFA title with only a years effort gone into it. Don't expect them to move from Frostbite engine either. EA are the very definition of do as little as possible to shift as many units as possible.

Macern

Pee pee pants
Right, and they could easily pretend there is something new like FIFA have done for the last 5 years. “New real feel first touch authentic control system”, “new defensive awareness AI”, “new shot timing and placement mechanism”. It’s all bollocks. They could easily have pulled that nonsense and decided not to.
Some of it is bollocks and some of it is nice. It’d be tedious to play the exact same game year after year so I appreciate the changes. Of course they’re going to make the most out of it. And I do think the games have been terrible over the past years, but it’s still a new game with new features, significantly different from this years PES which isn’t a new game.

But they are more honest, hence the very fact that they've said that this edition isn't a new game with new gameplay. I credit PES for actually taking a year off to make sure their Unreal engine next-gen title meets the standard fans expect of them; Fifa on the other hand? full release of new game this year, and they'll cramm a next-gen FIFA title with only a years effort gone into it. Don't expect them to move from Frostbite engine either. EA are the very definition of do as little as possible to shift as many units as possible.
They might be more honest in general, sure, but in terms of the new games, which is what I was addressing, they’re as honest in saying it’s an update to last years game as EA who are saying they’re making a new game.

I appreciate PES’ approach. They have to do something to take back some of the market share FIFA has. I wish FIFA changed to another enigne, Frostbite is awful for FIFA. PES on UE with two years of work instead of one should be interesting, but the game has been so far behind FIFA for the last 10 or so years that I’ve completely lost faith in Konami.

I don’t want to start another PES vs FIFA discussion though. Everyone has different ‘needs’ in terms of football games and I can understand that some prefer PES.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I'll be buying it. I mean, I really shouldn't, but this is my footy game for a whole year and they'll be changing players ratings, making tiny gameplay tweaks and updating faces throughout the year so it's worthwhile I guess. Bit annoying that I could have bought another proper game for that money!

amolbhatia50k

I've played about 100 odd games and I just cannot make the jump up to Superstar... it becomes an incredibly frustrating and unenjoyable experience. I'll basically either win the game 1-0 or lose it 1-0 (but most likely draw it 0-0) .
Interesting, I find superstar too and legend/manual too hard.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I'll be buying it. I mean, I really shouldn't, but this is my footy game for a whole year and they'll be changing players ratings, making tiny gameplay tweaks and updating faces throughout the year so it's worthwhile I guess. Bit annoying that I could have bought another proper game for that money!
Aye, hopefully there are worthwhile gameplay changes as well!

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I won't be buying it. It's a good game but the AI and scripted makes it a flawed one and I'm not that's somehow they'll fix with a patch.

Master League etc. whilst it's good now it's more challenging, loses it's appeal when you know 90% of the time the game has already decided if you're going to win or not. You can usually tell if th cpu is going to score just by the way the attack builds up, and you can tell you're not going to win as soon as you have a shot and it baloons away from the goal for no reason at all. Fix the issues and it's definitely worth the £25 or whatever. If not the minor tweaks aren't going to make much difference and will mostly be stuff you can fix yourself with an option file anyway.

This is exactly what EA charge £60 for every year to be fair. There hasn't been a single change to Fifa that couldn't have been done via the kind of patch Konami release every other month, since I dunno, 2010?

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Imho if you want a newer version and you're on PC just look for cut price on 2020 and install one of the many free 2021 mods. Then wait and see if 2022 is going to be substantially different bc it doesnt sound like 2021 will be.
Roger that

Renegade

Why have they used 2009 version of Pep as a selectable manager on the game?

They do some bizarre things every year. Wish they gave us a few more current/past managers to choose from.

Also they released a image of Rashford in the United kit with white socks(UCL kit) and now that kit option isn’t in the game. Why do they do these things Haha.

thepolice123

Incredible :lol:

I‘ve got from my packs:

Beckham: 95
Lewandowski: 93
Iniesta: 89
Rijkard: 92
Vieira: 91
Torres: 88
I got:

Van Basten
Rijkaard
Guilit
Nakata
Beckenbauer

Rashford
Maguire
Kimmich

Very satisfied with my spins. Basically already got the end game backbone for my team. Even Nakata who is the worst legend is usable from the bench given his super sub ability.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Why have they used 2009 version of Pep as a selectable manager on the game?

They do some bizarre things every year. Wish they gave us a few more current/past managers to choose from.

Also they released a image of Rashford in the United kit with white socks(UCL kit) and now that kit option isn’t in the game. Why do they do these things Haha.
I want to know who comes up with this stuff.

The Master League cutscenes in PES2020 were the most pointless things that ever existed.

"Derby Day Chapter 1" - a cutscene of your manager drinking coffee in an office for some reason, when you have another 3 games before it is even actually derby day.

What do they think this actually adds to the game?

amolbhatia50k

So it seems they've really improved the responsiveness and finesse dribbling. Looking forward to playing this.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Looks like i'm getting the band back together... sigh.

:lol:

Man I am having an absolute mare here. I’m at 8/4/9 in ranked matches and absolutely leaking goals. My record was around 63% in PES20 with 2.2/1.7 gpg.

Playing in the evening after a few beers has been a bad choice.

Moonwalker

It's a bit disappointing to get an all-star team as soon as first week of launch. Very little to work on, in terms of squad building in Myclub.

PS: If any of you are competent (700+ rating) and want to play coop on steam, let me know.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
Playing mostly offline but this feels wonderful coming from Fifa. Each match feels different. You've so many ways to score and once you get a hang of the dribbling system its a joy.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I bought it because I'm an idiot.

The most immediate and obvious improvement I think is that when the other team is in possession, I no longer have to press L1 about 50 times just to control the player I want to. I didn't even realise how fecking annoying this was until they've fixed it. I can now actually defend. Honestly it's a bit of a game changer for me and such a simple thing.

Definitely seems easier to play through tight spaces although players still take loose touches a lot. Which is sometimes a good thing from a realism point of view, but sometimes the opposite. For example when Greenwood constantly loses the chance to get a shot away because his first touch goes straight into the defender...I mean considering literally one of his main strengths is how his first touch takes him away from defenders. Needs a bit more thought really.

They haven't fixed the advanced through ball which is a bit annoying because it's completely broken and surely doesn't need a new game to be sorted out.

Overall though mildly pleasantly surprised on first impression. Most of the subtle changes seem to have had a positive effect.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
How are fouls in this new one? Same as before? (where its often seemingly random what does and doesn't constitute a free kick)

That and penalties are my two least favourite thing about the game.

Woodzy

How are fouls in this new one? Same as before? (where its often seemingly random what does and doesn't constitute a free kick)

That and penalties are my two least favourite thing about the game.
I think the added responsiveness makes it easier to win free kicks. I get 4 or 5 a match in all honesty, which is not perfect but better.

Indont think they’ve actually changed anything with them under the hood though, and you still get mad collisions that don’t get recognised as fouls.

Lack of penalties as bad as ever. Don’t think I’ve had one in my Master League.