Peter Schmeichel’s stint at Sporting Lisbon

SATA

For Sporting fans and watchers of the Portugese League, how did he generally do there? Was he well past his best or was he still very good? Did he made notable mistakes or blunders?

He left United after 1999 at the age of 35 and i always felt it was a year or two early and United suffered years of trying to replace the Great Dane. I remember him saying his body couldn’t survive playing in the Premier League anymore or somewhere along the line.

Thoughts?

For Sporting fans and watchers of the Portugese League, how did he generally do there? Was he well past his best or was he still very good? Did he made notable mistakes or blunders?

He left United after 1999 at the age of 35 and i always felt it was a year or two early and United suffered years of trying to replace the Great Dane. I remember him saying his body couldn’t survive playing in the Premier League anymore or somewhere along the line.

Thoughts?
Didn't stop him playing for Villa and City. He's a legend but possibly a bit of an idiot, there's a few ex-teammates out there who don't like him all that much.

As for Sporting - he won the league in his first season but then neither side seemed eager to for him to stay after the second.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Didn't stop him playing for Villa and City. He's a legend but possibly a bit of an idiot, there's a few ex-teammates out there who don't like him all that much.

As for Sporting - he won the league in his first season but then neither side seemed eager to for him to stay after the second.
I don't think its a secret that he was a dick to everyone. Just that kind of personality that eventually grates on everyone around in due time. I think Neville mentioned being terrified of upsetting him when he started training with the first team.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
What was the story around him leaving United?

Did Fergie himself decide it was his time or did Peter himself decide to a Drogba esque leave in a blaze of CL glory?

redshaw

I remember him saying he didn't want his kids growing up in England but was soon back here.

FujiVice

Schmeichel was shit at the start of the 98/99 season. Greatest keeper in the history of the Premiership for me, but he knew his time was up. To many games, to many miles on that body of his. He needed a step down to prolong his career.

If he'd have announced his retirement at the start of the 98/99 season, we may not have lost a game all season. He seemed very determained after he said he was leaving.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
He was poor in the Treble season. We botched the succession plan (which sounds familiar) but the decision to part ways was fine on both sides.

Zlatattack

He was poor in the Treble season. We botched the succession plan (which sounds familiar) but the decision to part ways was fine on both sides.
The succession plan was terrible.

Bosnich, Howard, Taibi, Barthez.... i'm surprised we didn't stick with Raymond Van Der Gouw.

This is all whilst VDS went to Fulham in 2001 (for 4 years!) and Buffon moved to Juve in 2001.

TBH though - i never expected Barthez to be that rubbish.

Cat1989

Supports
Arsenal
As good as you were that season I don't think you would of come away from Highbury with anything regardless.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Schmeichel was shit at the start of the 98/99 season. Greatest keeper in the history of the Premiership for me, but he knew his time was up. To many games, to many miles on that body of his. He needed a step down to prolong his career.

If he'd have announced his retirement at the start of the 98/99 season, we may not have lost a game all season. He seemed very determained after he said he was leaving.
He was poor until SAF gave him some time off. I think it was after our defeat at Sheffield Wednesday that convinced Fergie that Schmeichel needed to recharge his batteries. He was in great form after that until the end of the season.

It was still the right time to leave though. His last game was captaining us in Barcelona as we sealed the treble. Perfect.

Feed Me

I'm hungry

Bosnich, Howard, Taibi, Barthez.... i'm surprised we didn't stick with Raymond Van Der Gouw.

This is all whilst VDS went to Fulham in 2001 (for 4 years!) and Buffon moved to Juve in 2001.

Yeah, Barthez was poor in retrospect but looked decent business at the time. He was great in a stacked France team in short run tournament bursts but was caught short in the rough and tumble of a full Premier League season.

Van Der Gouw was a very good back up goalie but don’t think he would have been good enough as a number one.

If I recall correctly, VDS’s stock was very low after his Juve stint and people perceived he was past his best by the time he landed at Fulham. There was a decent bit of dismay at the news United were signing him but what a bit of business in retrospect.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
He was poor until SAF gave him some time off. I think it was after our defeat at Sheffield Wednesday that convinced Fergie that Schmeichel needed to recharge his batteries. He was in great form after that until the end of the season.

It was still the right time to leave though. His last game was captaining us in Barcelona as we sealed the treble. Perfect.
Yep, you’re right actually. He got a mid season break. The whole team got a kick up the arse at the same sort of time and we went unbeaten from around December or January.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I don't even know how good he was at Villa or City

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I read an interview recently where he said that he wasn't able to play a lot of games at the top level anymore, but because of his pride he still wanted to play every game. In hindsight he wished that he'd asked Fergie if he could share the duties with someone else so that he could maybe spend another year or two here.

Bosnich likely would have worked out if not for injuries. At least enough that we wouldn't have gone through the likes of Taibi, Howard and maybe Barthez anyway. He was a very good keeper whose body basically gave up on him right around the time he joined us (particularly the hamstrings to the extent he struggled to even kick the ball), which ultimately caused him to fall into depression and drugs.

Both Barthez and Howard had fairly good first seasons, although obviously both fell apart after that.

SATA

Bosnich and Barthez were really good goalkeepers. I rate them very highly. I thought they were in the long haul for us but they never really settled in one way or another. Maybe that’s why i was never a football scout

Schmeichel came back after his mid season holidays and was really good after that. Saved a penalty against Bergkamp in the FA cup semi final game where the intensity and stakes on it were immense. I thought he had a poor game in the nou camp CL final though

SATA

Yeah. Never really took notice of him when he came back to the Prem. He was a great great goalkeeper and winner for United but i personally never really warmed to him. Also acted like a total dick when City beat us in a league game, and also tried to be chilly and nice in the prematch tunnel with our players but none didn’t give a toss. Gary Neville sort of blanked him as well (youtube has it )

Fingeredmouse

If I recall correctly, VDS’s stock was very low after his Juve stint and people perceived he was past his best by the time he landed at Fulham. There was a decent bit of dismay at the news United were signing him but what a bit of business in retrospect.
Yes, his Juve stint did not go well. I don't recall dismay at his signing at all though. He was great at Fulham and I recall being happy at the signing. Perhaps my memory is being revisionist.

What was the story around him leaving United?

Did Fergie himself decide it was his time or did Peter himself decide to a Drogba esque leave in a blaze of CL glory?
I seem to remember, from his quotes at the time he announced he would leave at the end of the season, that at his age and heavy build he was finding it harder to keep in shape and wanted to move somewhere warmer because he thought that would be easier (to stay in shape).

SATA

I seem to remember, from his quotes at the time he announced he would leave at the end of the season, that at his age and heavy build he was finding it harder to keep in shape and wanted to move somewhere warmer because he thought that would be easier (to stay in shape).
And then he came to England after two years. Maybe the pressure and expectations at United was just too huge and it got to him at that age

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"

We were linked with a lot of weird keepers before VDS joined. The likes of Antii Niemi and Paul Robinson. Although it's possible we were never close and I was just a bit naive about transfer gossip.

Howard was a weird one though. He looked pretty good for a while, then crap when he was replaced by Carroll, then good again at Everton.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
What better time to go then after the treble!

It was just surprising he then came back to England later!

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
It's pretty special that he helped Utd win their first title for 26 years during his 2nd season there, and helped Sporting win their first title for 18 years during his first season there. They beat on paper what looked to be quite a strong Porto team, with the firepower of Jardel who averaged more than 1 goal per game in Portuguese domestic football across his 4 years there, to the title in 2000.

That's before we get to the treble in his final season at Utd in 1999, winning the 1992 European Championships with Denmark (beating the heavily favoured Germany in the final). In fact for Denmark alongside that Euro 92 win, he played in a very entertaining and competitive World Cup quarter-final with them against Brazil 6 years later, so his international career was definitely a huge success.

It was interesting to learn about Fergie giving him that 2 week break during that treble winning season to recharge his batteries. It definitely did the trick.

Amir

And then he came to England after two years. Maybe the pressure and expectations at United was just too huge and it got to him at that age
When he left, though, he said the main problem was that he needed to train hard and that the amount of games we had didn't allow it. Villa and City didn't have as many games, so it doesn't contradict him at all.

Amir

Schmeichel came back after his mid season holidays and was really good after that. Saved a penalty against Bergkamp in the FA cup semi final game where the intensity and stakes on it were immense. I thought he had a poor game in the nou camp CL final though
He wasn't flawless in any of the last three games which won the treble. Made it easy for Ferdinand to score for Spurs, made an error which almost got Newcastle back into the cup final and didn't do well with Basler's goal. Thought I don't think there was any problem with the rest of his performance in that final.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Started off good for us but then started letting in soft goals. There was one where he caught the ball from a corner, did a quick throw, it hit the ref on the back and then went straight to a Liverpool player who tapped it in. Clause in his contract meant he started when fit. Did better at Man. City.

I assume he's a legend at Sporting as that was their first league title in quite a while.

galwayfa

Brilliant keeper, terrible recruitment after, I wonder did him leaving surprise fergie, bosnich was never a tier 1 keeper, tiabi signing showed we were looking at keepers aboard, should have signed better

SirAF

Ageist
We were linked with a lot of weird keepers before VDS joined. The likes of Antii Niemi and Paul Robinson. Although it's possible we were never close and I was just a bit naive about transfer gossip.

Howard was a weird one though. He looked pretty good for a while, then crap when he was replaced by Carroll, then good again at Everton.
I loved Howard, was gutted he didn’t work out long term. I’d say his confidence never recovered at United after his blunder against Porto.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Brilliant keeper, terrible recruitment after, I wonder did him leaving surprise fergie, bosnich was never a tier 1 keeper, tiabi signing showed we were looking at keepers aboard, should have signed better
Bozzy was a starter for a regular top 6 club for 3-4 years. Ultimately his mentality wasn't good at Man. United (think he got arrested on his stag do the day before he joined Man. United :lol:) and then clashed with SAF but fantastic shot stopper and decent command of box.

Bad at distribution but Schmeichel wasn't great at that either.

Falcow

Yeah. Never really took notice of him when he came back to the Prem. He was a great great goalkeeper and winner for United but i personally never really warmed to him. Also acted like a total dick when City beat us in a league game, and also tried to be chilly and nice in the prematch tunnel with our players but none didn’t give a toss. Gary Neville sort of blanked him as well (youtube has it )
This. Sums him perfectly for me. I remember his celebrations when city beat us that time. Loved him when he was with us but I've never really liked him since.....I'm sure he is devastated.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
It's been talked in various threads over the years but supposedly SAF wanted to sign VDS but Edwards had already agreed with Bosnich on a pre-contract, and by the time SAF tried to lure VDS the player had agreed to move to Juve. Think VDS confirmed this a while back.

I recall press linking United to Chilavert (quite old by then) and Toldo circa 2000. Ended up with Barthez who looked great for France and Monaco. Barthez actually had a good season in 2002-03 minus a few hiccups. Won some points with his shot stopping ability.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Barthez pissed me off. I was just getting into United around 2002, and I’ve heard he had a great first season at the club. But all I can remember from then until around 2004 when he was dropped, was just him letting in so many soft goals. I still blame him for Ronaldo’s standing ovation and our CL exit to Madrid.

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
I remember when he moved to Sporting he made the team play a faster pace, anytime he got the ball he would pass to our forwards immediately and sporting scored a shit load of goals because of that.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
He was definitely still good for us, not at his peak anymore but he was important for the team and we broke an 18 year league title drought the first year he came here. Fans still love him although these days anyone who's won a bloody league title at this club is seen as some sort of mythical figure.

Charlie Foley

It's been talked in various threads over the years but supposedly SAF wanted to sign VDS but Edwards had already agreed with Bosnich on a pre-contract, and by the time SAF tried to lure VDS the player had agreed to move to Juve. Think VDS confirmed this a while back.

I recall press linking United to Chilavert (quite old by then) and Toldo circa 2000. Ended up with Barthez who looked great for France and Monaco. Barthez actually had a good season in 2002-03 minus a few hiccups. Won some points with his shot stopping ability.
His save in the Forlan game at Anfield was spectacular. The damage was probably done by then to his reputation though, he was anything but calming!

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Legend in my opinion. Not only he played well in a top level but he was also a much needed leader and reference for other Sporting players.
Poor Rui Jorge used to suffer a lot when Schmeichel was controlling and guiding the defence. Only one top year but still one of my favorite players. Loved watching him live yelling at the teammates and not letting them relax. He would intimidate opponents with his size and fluorescent kits.
He was the reason we had a big increase in ticket sales as well. I was really anxious when it was reported we were negotiating him. He had big merit in the title win as well.

Amir

Ended up with Barthez who looked great for France and Monaco. Barthez actually had a good season in 2002-03 minus a few hiccups. Won some points with his shot stopping ability.
Barthez had a really good first season for us and a really good third season for us. Problem was that in his low moments, it would almost be like playing without a goalkeeper. He cost us plenty in his second season, and even in his (good) third season he lost it towards the end of the season - when we were on a title-winning run - and ended up being dropped for Carroll for the last few games.

I'd say we would NOT have won the league in 2003 without the difference Barthez made during that season. But that fact he finished it on the bench says it all.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
As an opposition fan, it went like this:

- Massive envy, it was unbelieaveble such a big name came to our league
- Lots of blunders at the start, envy turns into mocking
- Sporting wins their first title in 18 years. It was 20 years ago so my memory ia fuzzy and romanticised, but I saw him as a center piece of that (along an extraordinary old man, called Alberto Acosta), just for charisma and leadership alone

I think it was very similar to the role Casillas played in Porto, a long time later. Envy, blunders, and absolute recognition and respect.

I think the most outstanding keeper I saw in my lifetime playing here (apart from Baía, my bias prevents me from comparing him) was Michel Preud'homme for Benfica.

Grande

Bozzy was a starter for a regular top 6 club for 3-4 years. Ultimately his mentality wasn't good at Man. United (think he got arrested on his stag do the day before he joined Man. United :lol:) and then clashed with SAF but fantastic shot stopper and decent command of box.

Bad at distribution but Schmeichel wasn't great at that either
Can’t let that one pass. Big Pete was a legendary distributor. His kicks were fairly precise and landed on the shoulder of their defense, and regularly got us either direct attacks or at least moved play to the oppo’s box so we could move after. A part of the problem with Bosnich (and others) were that our players were relying on Pete’s kicks for the start of attacking play. It was simple, but highly efficient. And his arms, starting counters with canonball throws, He was feared for it and it was a huge part of our play.

He was no Ederson technically, but his confidence made him clear up a lot of situations with his feet.

The truth about Schmeichel’s gaffes was that they mostly all came as a by product of him pushing the limits of what a goalkeeper could be expected to do, and it paid of a lot more than it cost.