Peter Schmeichel’s stint at Sporting Lisbon

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
As an opposition fan, it went like this:

- Massive envy, it was unbelieaveble such a big name came to our league
- Lots of blunders at the start, envy turns into mocking
- Sporting wins their first title in 18 years. It was 20 years ago so my memory ia fuzzy and romanticised, but I saw him as a center piece of that (along an extraordinary old man, called Alberto Acosta), just for charisma and leadership alone

I think it was very similar to the role Casillas played in Porto, a long time later. Envy, blunders, and absolute recognition and respect.

I think the most outstanding keeper I saw in my lifetime playing here (apart from Baía, my bias prevents me from comparing him) was Michel Preud'homme for Benfica.
You pretty much summed it: it was a CMesque type of transfer, hiring veteran legend to give the team some class boost and it worked well.
Yes, he had it's down moments like that Sabry free kick that wasn't really that strong shot but somehow he failed to react, but his aggressiveness in 1-on-1s, his aerial game and his long throws with bare hands into the forwards feet made him a valuable asset on the long run.
He refused to stay at Sporting with the excuse of saying he was considering retirement, but then he had a solid offer from Villa and delayed his retirement.

As for Acosta, you can't forget the assist man Carlos Secretário who was instrumental for their title too :smirk:

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
He was definitely still good for us, not at his peak anymore but he was important for the team and we broke an 18 year league title drought the first year he came here. Fans still love him although these days anyone who's won a bloody league title at this club is seen as some sort of mythical figure.
:lol:

norm87cro

If I'm not mistaken it was the first Championship after a lot of years for Sporting in his debut season. As far as his 98/99 season he contributed a lot. The first Inter game and the Bergkamp penalty spring to mind instantly. Prehaps the most important save in the history of our club. Not only did he save the penalty it paved way for the Giggs goal and it elevated the belief of the whole team going into the season finish. And the rest is history.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
On a complete side note, wasn't Berg pretty heroic against Inter in that 1999 quarter-final, making a clearance off the line near the end of the 1st leg, and then looking immense throughout the 2nd leg under a wave of pressure?

The 1st leg was quite a weird game from memory, as I think Utd could easily have been more than 2 goals ahead after an hour or so after completely dominating, before Inter then put them under quite a lot of pressure near the end of the game as they looked for an away goal but were denied one by the brilliance of Schmeichel plus Berg.

SATA

On a complete side note, wasn't Berg pretty heroic against Inter in that 1999 quarter-final, making a clearance off the line near the end of the 1st leg, and then looking immense throughout the 2nd leg under a wave of pressure?

The 1st leg was quite a weird game from memory, as I think Utd could easily have been more than 2 goals ahead after an hour or so after completely dominating, before Inter then put them under quite a lot of pressure near the end of the game as they looked for an away goal but were denied one by the brilliance of Schmeichel plus Berg.
Yeah Fergie used to sign some random defenders those days to make up the squad and they actually turned out to be decent buys. Likes of David May, Berg, Ronny Johnson. Johnson was cool but injury prone

Amir

Berg did well in 1998/99. Never top class, of course, but he really seemed to go downhill right after that season.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Obviously the treble and his glory days with Utd were the pinnacle of his career, but when re-signed Berg I thought he played very well for us during our 2000/2001 promotion season and then in 2001/2002 when we won the League Cup and finished 10th. Unfortunately, alongside Cole, Dunn, Gillespie, Yorke, he was yet another player that Souness fell out with, after an argument regarding tactics following a terrible Boxing Day home defeat against Sunderland. He was well into his 30s when he left us for Rangers though, so I don't think he had much or any Premier League mileage left anyway.

Still he's the only player that won both the 1995 League title and 2002 League Cup with us, so winning multiple trophies / medals with 2 different Premier League clubs is a nice achievement.

Lj82

If I recalled correctly, fergie wanted to sign another keeper after Pete retired (VDS?), but Edwards vetoed it and told fergie to sign Bosnich instead as he was on a free transfer.

Basso

In Petes biography that is getting released shortly, its mentioned Fergie called Schmeichel during his first season in Sporting, to get him back after the season. Schmeichel then negoatied to be released by Sporting in June 2000 but at the last minute Fergie backed out of the deal and signed Barthez.

GueRed

In Petes biography that is getting released shortly, its mentioned Fergie called Schmeichel during his first season in Sporting, to get him back after the season. Schmeichel then negoatied to be released by Sporting in June 2000 but at the last minute Fergie backed out of the deal and signed Barthez.
interesting, first time i heard of that one.

I'm looking forward to reading his book

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Can’t let that one pass. Big Pete was a legendary distributor. His kicks were fairly precise and landed on the shoulder of their defense, and regularly got us either direct attacks or at least moved play to the oppo’s box so we could move after. A part of the problem with Bosnich (and others) were that our players were relying on Pete’s kicks for the start of attacking play. It was simple, but highly efficient. And his arms, starting counters with canonball throws, He was feared for it and it was a huge part of our play.

He was no Ederson technically, but his confidence made him clear up a lot of situations with his feet.

The truth about Schmeichel’s gaffes was that they mostly all came as a by product of him pushing the limits of what a goalkeeper could be expected to do, and it paid of a lot more than it cost.
18 months later....yeah silly me. His throwing was incredible, could hit halfway line no problem.

Meant more kicking but then it was completely different era of what was expected from keeper compared to today.

Imagine if De Gea made error like Schmeichel did v Barnsley in FA cup in 97/98, would be mocked for months.

GueRed

If I recalled correctly, fergie wanted to sign another keeper after Pete retired (VDS?), but Edwards vetoed it and told fergie to sign Bosnich instead as he was on a free transfer.
Schmeichel announced his decision to leave in November 1998

United dillied and dallied over the replacement. Really poor actually. Ended up losing Van Der Sar to Juventus in the process...

But yes it's well known Edwards and the board were stingy fecks

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
That's interesting. Schmeichel was on the wane from around 98 onwards in my view - and would have been well cooked at 37 by the time of any return after Sporting. Shows how much Ferguson was scrabbling around for somebody competent.

Grande

18 months later....yeah silly me. His throwing was incredible, could hit halfway line no problem.

Meant more kicking but then it was completely different era of what was expected from keeper compared to today.

Imagine if De Gea made error like Schmeichel did v Barnsley in FA cup in 97/98, would be mocked for months.
Yes, different era. But Schmeichel didn’t get much into trouble using his feet, something that happenstwice ayear is no big deal. Mote important were his goal kicks, which were long, often quick, and precise enough that it was an important part of our play, and we struggled to get out of high press when Bosnich and Barthez played.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Bozzy was a starter for a regular top 6 club for 3-4 years. Ultimately his mentality wasn't good at Man. United (think he got arrested on his stag do the day before he joined Man. United :lol:) and then clashed with SAF but fantastic shot stopper and decent command of box.

Bad at distribution but Schmeichel wasn't great at that either.
Eh? His kicking wasn’t awful and his throws were legendary

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Remember:

the time he flicked the ball over the head of an onrushing attacker then volleyed it clear?

his star save versus zamarano?

the header he scored?

his disallowed bicycle kick?

his almost weekly arguments with his defenders?

the time he turfed a Turkish fan off the pitch?

loved big Pete? Barthez to me was a clown

GueRed

Just started his book.
Foreword by former teammate and roommate Eric Cantona.

Nice little story involving Schmeichel on pianos and Eric on the trumpet

ReddBalls

Yeah Fergie used to sign some random defenders those days to make up the squad and they actually turned out to be decent buys. Likes of David May, Berg, Ronny Johnson. Johnson was cool but injury prone
Berg was signed after being a key player for the Blackburn team that won the league in 95. Hardly a random signing, even though he never became more than a good squad player.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...

lsd

The Oracle
Yeah. Never really took notice of him when he came back to the Prem. He was a great great goalkeeper and winner for United but i personally never really warmed to him. Also acted like a total dick when City beat us in a league game, and also tried to be chilly and nice in the prematch tunnel with our players but none didn’t give a toss. Gary Neville sort of blanked him as well (youtube has it )

Neville acted like a complete prick in that incident as Schmeichel laughed at him

GueRed

Decent defender but lost his starting role at Blackburn then the club said thank you to the 5m bid from United. SAF was looking all over for defensive cover that summer and finally found one.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-berg-makes-pounds-5m-move-to-united-1245136.html
couldn't read the article because it's behind a paywall but yeah Berg wasnt first choice in 1997.

According to his book Fergie wanted Markus Babbel first. Bayern let us talk to him....but a financial package with the player could not be agreed. Basically he was asking too much.

The deal for Brazilian Celio Silva collasped as well due to work permit issues.

Also that year Fergie had a close look at Betis' Roberto Rios. And enquired about youngster Rio Ferdinand and PSV's Jaap Stam.