Peter Schmeichel: Ex-Man Utd keeper considering applying for director role

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
If he's considering applying he would be the perfect candidate for a job where all you do is prepare bids.

Eric's Seagull

He left United saying he was retiring abroad, for a few years United struggled to find a replacement suitable.
He came back to play for City, although as a player you do what you can to stay at the top, many at United,
thought that was not acceptable for a United hero, especially as he had not really retired, and he was still
good enough to be at United.
I guess its the difference between being a fan of the club and having a job as a professional footballer.

But it wasn't like Tevez, Hargreaves, Cole, etc, Schmeichel had a bigger place in Uniteds recent history, and a bigger
place in the hearts of many United fans, so the sense of betrayal was more deeply felt.

For many United fans it felt like betrayal, although he wasn't the first, Denis Law still loved by United fans, was possibly the
most famous, even scored a goal that ( incorrectly ) many felt relegated United. I think in the modern era Denis Laws
move and the (in)famous goal, would be treated much more harshly by United fans than it was back in 1974

His behaviour when he played for City against United, and city won 3 - 1 was pretty classless, but you could argue that as a City
player he was entitled to celebrate, but as an ex United legend it was not easy for United fans to take, and many lost respect for
him that day.
Think that is a debate in itself whether Dennis Law (gentlemanly) not showing any emotion whilst scoring an amazing goal compared to Schmeichel's cartwheel would be treated more harshly today mate?:rolleyes:

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
Wow. Schmeichel the political commentator. Never expected to see the day.
He wasn't exactly a political commentator. Rather a famous footballer hired to promote World Cup in Russia on the stateowned Russia Today with his own show. He got pretty much stick for it in danish media.

Footyislife

I'd rather get our other legendary goalkeepr VDS has done wonders at Ajax.

Last edited:

Lj82

it wasn't like Tevez, Hargreaves, Cole, etc, Schmeichel had a bigger place in Uniteds recent history, and a bigger
place in the hearts of many United fans, so the sense of betrayal was more deeply felt.
Huh?
Why would to put Cole in that list? He even said of this time at City as "a job", while his time at Utd was a "dream". I have more place in my heart for Colely than for Pete

Lj82

Huh?
Why would to put Cole in that list? He even said of this time at City as "a job", while his time at Utd was a "dream". I have more place in my heart for Colely than for Pete
Ok sorry, @Red For Ever . Should have finished reading before I posted. Just that seeing Cole's name alongside Tevez and Hargreaves triggered me.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Absolutely no chance. Take your cartwheels and feck off. We don’t want to become a club hiring ex-players in every available job title, just to try bring the “United” feeling back.

Might as well hire Anderson to be in charge of the canteen

roseguy64

The only former players who should be considered are VDS and Silvestre because they've actually been in a similar role. Everyone else is just a waste of time. Oh and I guess Cantona too.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I’ve never shared the animosity some have for Peter regarding the whole City thing. As others have said, Coley went there and no one really cared. They weren’t a threat at the time, in fact it was often a joke how much more seriously they took our rivalry than we did back then. Plus I wouldn’t expect a foreign player (albeit a heavily Manc-lesized one) to see it in the same terms as someone like Neville. Especially if their family are settled in the area, which I believe was Cole’s reasoning too.

Tevez was different, because he went there just as they were staking a claim, and was subsequently used as part of a huge obnoxious re-branding campaign. Though apparently even he didn’t see it as that bad, as he’d already turned down Liverpool out of respect, and by all accounts (though I can’t remember where i actually heard this) was a bit surprised by our reaction... which if anything only goes to show how little City was thought of and discussed within the club, even at that time.

I wouldn’t want him in the role though, but purely ‘cos he’s got feck all experience, and we shouldn’t be using Ole as a knee jerk spring board to start appointing club legends in every role willy nilly, just for the feck of it. It’d be just as irresponsible as the “Galactico” approach, only in the other direction.

DBT85

Pete's a legend and I have no issue with him going to City. Fergie said it was ok and at the end of the day a job is a job. Anyone who thinks he could still have been in goal for us at that point is on something.

But Pete, no. We need someone in this job that has done it or something very similar and knows what they are doing. It's more than just knowing the club.

Eric's Seagull

I wouldn’t want him in the role though, but purely ‘cos he’s got feck all experience, and we shouldn’t be using Ole as a knee jerk spring board to start appointing club legends in every role willy nilly, just for the feck of it. It’d be just as irresponsible as the “Galactico” approach, only in the other direction.
Agree totally mate. I'm all up for having ex legends on board but not just for the sake of it. They need to prove they deserve to be taken on by having a particular skill set which can be utilised in an area where it is needed.

The Mad Manc

Cartwheeled in front of United supporters at Maine Road in 2002-03 when City beat us 3-1.

He’s a wanker.
This must be some sort of repressed memory for me. Surprised that I don't recall such a thing.

He is arguably our greatest ever keeper but he's a right nob too.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Great goalkeeper, but he’s always been a complete tosser and he knows f-all about football.

stepic

Tbh I don’t care that he went to City or if he cartwheeled or whatever. He was a brilliant goalkeeper for us and that’s what I remember about him.

Wouldn’t want him as DOF though as he isn’t qualified for it.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
The City cartwheel thing is puzzling. I remember him doing it for us but I don't recall this incident until people started talking about it in this thread. Is it one of those apocryphal tales people latch on to which becomes a Mandela thing?

From recent interviews of him, he mentioned the games against United as being awful. It felt wrong to him.

Coops73

Yeah right Pete, why don’t you give Brian a call too and he can sign us the next John Hartson.

El Zoido

I don’t remember him cartwheeling in front of Utd fans while playing for City. I don’t care that he went there either, he’s still a red that much is clear. Don’t want him as a DOF though, I’m not convinced he’s anywhere near qualified for such a role.

Spark

The only former players who should be considered are VDS and Silvestre because they've actually been in a similar role. Everyone else is just a waste of time. Oh and I guess Cantona too.
VDS is CEO, so technically if he were to come to United it would likely be to replace Ed Woodward.

Which would be awesome.

Keefy18

Doesn't have the qualifications or experience for the role.

Just trying to jump on a feel good band wagon and get his foot in the door I'd imagine. Not sure who we get in this DoF role but it has to be someone with a strong background and willing to work directly with our new manager.

Red For Ever

Ok sorry, @Red For Ever . Should have finished reading before I posted. Just that seeing Cole's name alongside Tevez and Hargreaves triggered me.

Sure, I cant imagine any United fan being bothered about Coles time at City, some probably forgot it actually happened.

I can see why some were not impressed by Hargreaves, but he was no longer wanted at United, so he took what he thought was a good opportunity, I dont think it was the move as such, but the comments he made were not necessary, especially as many thought United and SAF had given him a lot of support during his various Injuries.

Then at the other end of the Spectrum we have Tevez, I think most United fans didn't take that so well, not just the move, but his comments, and the way it was done.

Great player, but even the deal to get him to play for United was strange.
I think City fans liked him more than normal because they felt they were getting one up on United, coudnt care less, perfect example of how a great player would never appear on a United legends list. ( or mine at least )

Did you know - Hargreaves was the only player to play for England, who up until that time, had never lived in England

Last edited:

Moonred

Don’t care or less important that he went to city. More importantly, he has zero experience and doesn’t look like anyone who we should even put under consideration while thinking of potential Dofs. Lack of self awareness on Schmeichel’s part if he even thinks he has a chance.