Peter Schmeichel: United regret we didn't give David Moyes more time

Suedesi

Talks a lot of sense generally on a broad interview with Richard Keys and Andy Gray, but talks absolute bollix on this one. Mind-boggling.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
It's not mind-boggling. What he se said is sort of what we've all said in that Moyes brought in and all that United experience going out at once was bad and therefor he was never been able to cope in his first year. Then he's sacked and the same thing is repeated without much thought. Had Moyes been given another year it would have been better than him being sacked and LvG being brought in instead as Moyes would have had learned a ton what he did wrong and built on that.

You can disagree with that and be correct but that doesn't mean it's absolute bollocks. You can't really know that really, similarly to saying that brining in Mourinho would have been better which is a fair guess given the level of experience. What Schmeichel should have been asked by Keys was "wasn't it just wrong to hire Moyes in the first place given how inexperienced he was with running a club like Manchester United". I can imagine Schmeichel agreeing with that but that's me guessing like he did.

Kapardin

It's not mind-boggling. What he se said is sort of what we've all said in that Moyes brought in and all that United experience going out at once was bad and therefor he was never been able to cope in his first year. Then he's sacked and the same thing is repeated without much thought. Had Moyes been given another year it would have been better than him being sacked and LvG being brought in instead as Moyes would have had learned a ton what he did wrong and built on that.

You can disagree with that and be correct but that doesn't mean it's absolute bollocks. You can't really know that really, similarly to saying that brining in Mourinho would have been better which is a fair guess given the level of experience. What Schmeichel should have been asked by Keys was "wasn't it just wrong to hire Moyes in the first place given how inexperienced he was with running a club like Manchester United". I can imagine Schmeichel agreeing with that but that's me guessing like he did.
That upheaval isn't a reason why Moyes did badly. Moyes did badly because he is a bad manager, period. He deserved no more time.

LvG won a trophy and atleast gave us a few good moments in big games. He was a terrible manager but did much better than Moyes ever would have even if the latter had been given another year.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
That upheaval isn't a reason why Moyes did badly. Moyes did badly because he is a bad manager, period. He deserved no more time.

LvG won a trophy and atleast gave us a few good moments in big games. He was a terrible manager but did much better than Moyes ever would have even if the latter had been given another year.
Bingo

MuFc_1992

In that same video he critisizes mourhino because he thought his defensive tactics was not compatible with the club so, I don't see how he can logically think that we should've given Moyes more time. Does he think Moyes had the right personality simply because of his accent?

shahzy

Strongly disagree with this sentiment. He might have been successful 5 years down the line but to have Man Utd that uncompetitive finishing 7th in his first year is unacceptable. Standards for a club like this always need to be maintained otherwise you're out. That should go for everyone from players to managers to receptionist. This is what differentiates big clubs/companies that expect success from small ones that only get success sometimes

midou

Why are some of our legends so clueless at times ? Whether it's him, Keane, Neville, at times they say some ridiculous stuff
I getting more and more convinced that most of our players were/are so oblivious of what real football matters are because of SAF's total control management and father figure attitude. They were living in a bubble created by the great man and his coaching staff.

Reactions: Varun

Stepney73

Why are some of our legends so clueless at times ? Whether it's him, Keane, Neville, at times they say some ridiculous stuff
This is why we have to be cautious about waning ex players in the club setup just because they are legends.

Adam_S

He's right though. If Moyes had stayed he'd have made us Division 1 champions by now.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"

This a thousand times.

The mistake was hiring Moyes in the first place.

Exactly. Not forgetting that Moyes himself ordered much of the upheaval.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Maybe 20 years down the line you could be forgiven for the "not enough time" line,when it's largely been forgotten.

But how bad it was is still freshly implanted. It was dreadful. 6 home league defeats? (Giggs got the 7th). Constant losses to shatter 20-30 year records.
Just dreadful

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I getting more and more convinced that most of our players were/are so oblivious of what real football matters are because of SAF's total control management and father figure attitude. They were living in a bubble created by the great man and his coaching staff.
This is why we have to be cautious about waning ex players in the club setup just because they are legends.
Spot on for both counts. Ole is a breath of fresh air though.

Varun

Staff
Yup, "manager is always right", "Just needs time and he'll come good" etc etc. It's bizarre.

AndyJ1985

The only regret should be giving him the job in the first place. He was massively out of his depth and wasn't right for us at all. It's like saying Liverpool regret not giving Hodgson more time. Absolute bollocks

Flytan

Moyes should have never been given the job. What he's done since is legit proof of that. Anyone that defends him is simply delusional. Maybe it would have been better than LVG/Mourinho? cool? You still don't keep trash. You throw it out.

Beagle

Hiring Moyes was the mistake that supercedes all other mistakes. But most of the blame for that has to be on Fergie.

For a manager that exercised so much control at the club, he should have planned his transition better. He should have realised that it would be too overwhelming for the next manager and especially for someone like Moyes who hadn't managed a big club before. And this talk abiut replacing the backroom staff; it's quite a common practice for a new guy to get his staff in but it should have been the prerogative of United to ensure the transition was smoother rather than letting go of them all at once.

My hunch is even Fergie didn't realise how much everything depended on him. He always mentioned that he had started delegating in his later years but even then he was probably the most autocratic manager in the game. People say that United are a unique club and this is so true in this case. Few, if any, big clubs have had to replace a manager who had overseen the transition from an entirely different era when the game was completely different to the present day. Having such stability is great of course but as soon as you lose the person who provided that stability, you're bound to struggle. Along with our new managers being unable to cope I also believe the club itself struggles to accommodate a new manager because it is so averse to change.

Overall I think the club should have expected a period of falling behind the top clubs. It was bound to happen regardless of who they got in, maybe to different degrees but it was unreasonable to expect a new manager to be instantly successful. The only priority with Fergie's successor was to ensure the club believed the direction he would take the club in the long run (3-4 years since appointment). I agree Moyes doesn't seem that kind of bloke but at the time of his retirement I can't see who would've been a more qualified person in the world than Fergie to make that call. Would you trust anyone more than him if you were the United board?

Despite how things turned out I do believe that Fergie trusted Moyes to come good in the long run. Certainly he couldn't have expected things to go as bad before they got better. When the club was in 7th(?) with Moyes after 10 months, it was the toughest decision Ed (and/or the board) have had to make till date. Sacking him essentially meant chucking Fergie's plan and going their own way. It's easy to criticize them in hindsight but there was no obvious right choice available.

And Schmeichal wanted to “put his hat in the ring” to be the Utd Director of Football! The man has no qualifications at all.

Moyes destroyed the club. He told the media that Liverpool were favourites to beat Utd at OT, the man did not have the right mentality, not one bit.

I’ve no doubt if he stayed at Utd for a few years, he could have had an Everton esq season, and got us to sneak a CL place and improve on 7th, but that’s about it.

He was toxic. I don’t want Man Utd to have a revolving door with our managers, it he did not deserve more time, and was luckily to have stayed as long as he did.

Schmeichal is in the Ince category of former players who talk utter crap.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Moyes wasn’t the right fit for United. The job was far too big for him.

I remember watching a video comparing Moyes and LvG’s language and mannerisms. I’m by no means an LvG fan but the difference was vast: Moyes constantly used words like ‘hopefully’, ‘try’ and ‘character’. He was meek, quiet and didn’t want to say anything to upset the apple-cart.

LvG at least put a bit of oomph behind what he said and showed personality and a commanding demeanour. The job wasn’t too big for him, he just played shit football and it didn’t work out.

Jose was LvG x10.

Anyway, Schmeichel is talking shite. Moyes was shit, no amount of time could fix that.

RG 11

Talks a lot of sense generally on a broad interview with Richard Keys and Andy Gray, but talks absolute bollix on this one. Mind-boggling.
I went ahead and saw the whole video and schmeichel is talking a lot of non sense here.

1. Downplaying Pep's Barca's tactics as basically keep the ball and Xavi / Messi pulling off some magic to get the goals
  2. Downplaying Ole and the coaching teams efforts and saying Ole had to just walk in with a smile to get instant results. Wouldn't we have smashed all four teams under Giggs after Moyes was sacked if it was so easy?
  3. Giving Moyes time. Under no measurable metric have we done worse under managers succeeding Moyes. The guy was a bad appointment and would have never come good based on his record with everton. He got them to one top 4 finish and Everton were promptly knocked out of the CL in the qualifying round next season and he basically didn't achieve anything else ever since.

Even if Lvg and Mourinho weren't ideal appointments, we're in a way better position than under Moyes. LVG got us back into top 4 immediately and then won a FA cup. Mourinho won us the league cup, Europa and a 2nd place finish.

Moyes was no where close to any of that and he inherited the champions. It's absolute nonsense that giving him time would mean he would come good because SAF did. It completely undermines SAF's record before United as well which was waaaaay better than Moyes ever had.

Kostov

Moyes was out of his depth. How can someone find excuses for a guy who asked two all time greats like Rio and Vidic study Phil Jagielka's defending? I mean what kind of moron would do that?

RG 11

Moyes was out of his depth. How can someone find excuses for a guy who asked two all time greats like Rio and Vidic study Phil Jagielka's defending? I mean what kind of moron would do that?
Sir Alex took time to win the league. Was a hard worker and Scottish. Moyes was a hard worker and Scottish. So only thing missing was time and the titles would come. It sounds ridiculous but that's the basis of most people's opinion about Moyes succeeding at United. :houllier:

kps88

Keys is such an out of touch dinosaur. Obsessed with how young players have changed and how things were "back in the day".

And Jose giving them access to an interview soon after his dismissal means they are always going to defend him and attack the players. They played badly because they were being managed badly; it's not rocket science.

RG 11

Keys trying to push the agenda that Mourinho leaving was down to player power … feck right off!

I don't think our fans would stand for that.

Then to use that to gloss over what Ole has done since is a double insult!
So much rubbish Pogba talk as well. You'd think Pogba is a an evil mastermind call a team meeting in his lair to devise evil schemes to get rid of poor innocent Jose going by the way the pundits talk about him.

Chairman Steve

I’ve said this in the main OGS thread but with OGS having Phelan as one of his coaches, you could make a case that Moyes could have done better.

One aspect of his reign that is reported on is his apparent refusal to use Phelan or Rene on his coaching staff, which SAF apparently wanted to happen.

However OGS has seemingly taken that advice to Moyes and followed it, by bringing Phelan back in, and we’re 10 wins from 11 games. I wonder if SAF was under the impression that Moyes would have been better than he was if he kept that continuity going, instead of wholesale coaching staff changes.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Giving Moyes more time I'd say there'd have been a bigger probability of him dragging us down to his mid table level, than him "coming to grips with the club" and having us compete on multiple fronts.

girish

I too love women...for their shoes.
I regret learning to spell Schmeichel's name correctly as a kid.

Last edited:

Ish

Lights on for Luke
And this talk abiut replacing the backroom staff; it's quite a common practice for a new guy to get his staff in but it should have been the prerogative of United to ensure the transition was smoother rather than letting go of them all at once.

Despite how things turned out I do believe that Fergie trusted Moyes to come good in the long run.
Bingo on those bits. SAF tried to advise Moyes to retain his backroom staff - Moyes didn't.

Also, hindsight, as the saying goes, is 20/20. The upside, if Moyes could make the step up, would have been another coach who'd be willing to stay for a decade or 2 and keep us competing. I guess, from that perspective, SAF thought the gamble worth it. Sadly, Moyes was so far out of his depth, it's not even funny.

A lot on here was against his appointment from the get-go as well. Kudos to them. Think I fell for the hope/romanticism of it all for the first few months, until it became clear that he was just another mid table manager - if I'm being kind.

minoo-utd

He also said Moyes should have kept Phelan. I think Schmeichel was spot on on BeIn studio last night, I watched his all analysis and really admired how he talked about us. You can see how passionate he is as a red.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Moyes is a horrifically shit football manager, no amount of time would have changed that.

SqueakyWeasel

Sir Alex took time to win the league. Was a hard worker and Scottish. Moyes was a hard worker and Scottish. So only thing missing was time and the titles would come. It sounds ridiculous but that's the basis of most people's opinion about Moyes succeeding at United. :houllier:
So any hard working Scottish person could have achieved what SAF did … I smell a monkeys with typewriters WUM

red thru&thru

Moyes has been not very good since he left Everton. He’s made lots of mistakes in his career since.