Peter Schmeichel: United regret we didn't give David Moyes more time

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Suedesi, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Feb 11, 2019

antohan gets aroused by tagline boobs

Even if you look past him being out of his depth, one obvious tweak would have been to take back on some of the staff he sacked. I can't for the life of me see him doing that, never struck me as someone ready to own up to his mistakes. Mourinho had the same flaw, but at least he had the faintest idea what the job required.
  2. Feb 11, 2019

antohan gets aroused by tagline boobs

Not Ole though :drool:

Carragher was spot on about us even back when he was a player.
  3. Feb 11, 2019

tomaldinho1 Full Member

Yh I agree, I think LVG's tenure here was easily the best of those three. Some big ups and downs but he brought in some mouthwatering attacking talent (Di Maria, Falcao, Depay), won an FA cup and got us back into the CL whilst playing an awful brand of monotonous possession football. I feel like it was simply a case of not being able to implement the style of football he wanted, rather than him being a douche like Mou or just well out of his depth like Moyes.
  4. Feb 11, 2019

Carl has permanently erect nipples

What's Carra said?
  5. Feb 11, 2019

Class of 63 Full Member

Yeah because he'd have survived two relegations wouldn't he ?
  6. Feb 11, 2019

Class of 63 Full Member

You do realise SAF had been chasing him for years don't you ? Obviously not, or.....
  7. Feb 11, 2019

dove Full Member

If Schmeichel or someone like you was in charge, he probably would have :lol:
  8. Feb 11, 2019

Revan Assumptionman

Not sure that the board could have done anything about it. There was just no way to sign those players. Rummenige even publicly said that Woodward was calling/email-ing him every day for the Muller transfer, despite them making clear that they have absolutely no intention to sell him. Ramos was just going for a big contract for Madrid, and neither Bale, nor Madrid were planning to part ways. If you give unrealistic targets to the board, you cannot complain about them not being able to get those players.

Still, we spent a lot that year. Martial was crazy expensive, Schweinsteiger cheap but on very big wages, we signed Schneiderlin too. Then of course Depay, Darmian and Romero. Problem is that only Martial and Romero were successes. Still, the integration of Lingard and Rashford was great, and currently the entire trio in the attack is a LVG product.
  9. Feb 11, 2019

Still ill Fantasy Football Champ 2018

Your favourite footballers should be whisked off at the end of their final game into a witness protection programme, never to be seen again, only allowed to talk to family members for the rest of their days. They always ruin it. Just shut up, the whole lot of you.
  10. Feb 11, 2019

Class of 63 Full Member

You don't play negative boring football when you've got the two best attacking fullbacks in the League bombing forward all game, and i'm guessing you've erased the 4-4 from memory ?
  11. Feb 11, 2019

hobbers Full Member

Schmeichel is absolutely clueless about how to run the club, if anything he'd be even worse at it than Woodward.

Moyes shouldn't have got the the chance in the first place. He wasn't cut out from day 0 and had zero chance of adapting to a club of this size.

You give time to managers who have proven they can achieve success. To LVGs and Mourinhos. You don't give time to David fecking Moyes.
  12. Feb 11, 2019

RG 11 Full Member

He's the only one from that everton team I would've been happy to have at United. I don't remember SAF chasing him for years though considering how good Evra was.
  13. Feb 11, 2019

Cheesy Bread with dipping sauce Scout

Not really though, because we'd have just had another bad season and would've lost out on a year of our potential recovery. Moyes had quite clearly lost the dressing room by the time he was sacked. There just wasn't any feasible way he could go into the following season as manager. The atmosphere had gotten beyond toxic.

And there's no guarantee Moyes would have learned from his mistakes. Throughout most of 2013-14 he continually blamed other people for his own failure. It was evident he was just out of depth and wasn't up to the job. There was no point in pretending otherwise.
  14. Feb 11, 2019

Cheesy Bread with dipping sauce Scout

Good managers (and he obviously was one in his prime) have to adapt if their style isn't working though. LVG refused to do so and persisted with Rooney as the focal point of our team even though he was finished, a fact that became evident early on in the season.

Most of the big name signings he brought in weren't particularly good and we scraped into the CL before being embarrassingly knocked out at the group stages the following year. His first year was semi-alright but I've never been able to agree with the narrative that his reign as a whole was anything other than terrible.
  15. Feb 11, 2019

Class of 63 Full Member

Yeah but as long as we learn from our mistakes....
  16. Feb 11, 2019

Makalu New Member

I actually think LVG's tenure did the most damage to Utd in the long term. I agree that in terms of results, trophies he didn't fare too badly but he decimated our squad. He sold Rafael, Hernandez, Nani, Evans, Kagawa, Zaha and Welbeck, all whom could have a place in our squad now. His only signings that have turned out for the best were Martial, Shaw and Romero. He signed Di Maria, Schweinsteiger, Falcao, Darmian, Depay, Rojo and Blind all failed signings.

Whilst Moyes was clearly awful results wise, and in terms of signings (Fellaini), he wasn't here long enough to do significant damage to the squad.

The atmosphere and feeling of the club has never been worse than during Mourinho's reign, but in terms of long term damage I'm not seeing that much evidence of it. He bought Lindelof, Pogba, Matic, and Lukaku, who arguably have all been successes, and we kicked him out before any of our prize assets left (Pogba, Martial, De Gea, Rashford). Looking at our squad now, it's the best it's been since Fergie.

LVG was definitely a douche. He treated some of our players who loved the club and would give anything for it like shit and turfed them out (Rafael).
  17. Feb 11, 2019

Trophy Room Full Member

Clueless :lol::lol:
  18. Feb 11, 2019

POF Full Member

He was an internal hire and the club knew that Gill was leaving before Moyes was appointed. If Woodward had no input into that decision it would be shocking.

Saying that, everything else about the transition was incredibly poorly managed so nothing would surprise me.
  19. Feb 11, 2019

Class of 63 Full Member

Didn't we lose 1-6 at home to City when SAF was the Gaffer ?
  20. Feb 11, 2019

stevoc Full Member

I think the difference was very few expected to lose games big under SAF, certainly no one ever thought we didn't have a chance. Every team gets beaten and every team gets beaten badly sometimes. Under Moyes though we were hopeless vs any decent team never mind good sides, there was no hope we could beat top sides under Moyes.

We beat Stoke 3-2 and Arsenal 1-0 both at home those were our only two league wins against the teams that finished in the top 10 that year.

Come on mate you have to admit that was an awful record?

That record lead to the feeling of hopelessness @Revan is talking about.
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  21. Feb 11, 2019

stevoc Full Member

You're referring to a period of about 18 months there though. His Everton team did play decent stuff around 2012-2013, but he was there for 12 years. Most of those 12 years his teams played workmanlike percentage football.

He employed a similar style at United, Sociedad, Sunderland and West Ham. So it's not like people are being unfair judging him on too short a period of time. The vast majority of his teams have played pragmatic football.

He's not a manager who is associated with stylish attacking football is he?
  22. Feb 11, 2019

crossy1686 Full Member

We did, remember he went ape at Rio and the other experienced lads for letting it happen.
  23. Feb 11, 2019

shamans Hoser

BTW, Keys and Gray are so far up Mou's behind. Even now.
  24. Feb 11, 2019

KC ROYAL Full Member

He should never have been given the job in the first place, he won nothing at Everton and his first transfer targets were Fellaini and Baines.
    Had he been given longer it might well have become even worse under him, the likes of Bale and other top level players were never going to sign for this guy.
    A mistake to even think about him as a United manager. I think SAF tried to get him in as a coach/assistant manager at one point, but he was never a United manager.
    Look at his track record since he left United.
  25. Feb 11, 2019

Snow Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

26. Feb 11, 2019

I'm not agreeing with his opinion but I can see where he's coming from. Moyes isn't a bad manager, he just isn't United standard. Possibly he was a good manager but has been unable to adapt with the times which would make him a bad manager today.
  27. Feb 11, 2019

I agree with that.
  28. Feb 11, 2019

Schmeichel comments are really hinging on that aspect, Moyes learning from his mistakes which I agree is unlikely. Doesn't make Schmeichel's comments mind-boggling, you just have to see the point where he's coming from. Personally I don't think Moyes was ever good enough for the job but Schmeichel thinking that might be based on how highly rated he was by the professional community at the point of appointment.
  29. Feb 11, 2019

Parry Gallister Full Member

Love schmikes but he's a fecking idiot at times.
  30. Feb 11, 2019

Class of 63 Full Member

We were linked with him as far back an his Wigan days, SAF wanted him as Evra's understudy, to eventually replace him
  31. Feb 11, 2019

Class of 63 Full Member

If it meant we'd lose all the spoilt little rich kids who latched on to the club when we became a Trophy winning machine it would have been worth it however painful it would have been at the time.

And no i'm not fecking joking.
  32. Feb 11, 2019

El Zoido Full Member

He comes across as being a massive bellend almost all the time. No wonder Keane wanted to deck him.
  33. Feb 11, 2019

JMack1234 Full Member

It was clear as day that Moyes was totally out of his depth. The only mistake we made was appointing him in the first place.
  34. Feb 11, 2019

Class of 63 Full Member

We've been here before mate(not this thread obviously) when we took a short break from our numerous exchanges in the "Why we all love Fellaini" thread, and we're never gonna agree on Moyes either.

All i'll say is I was as numb as the next man(or woman)that cared about the club that season, I just never felt remove the Manager and everything would be tickety boo again, the problems run deeper, and some still remain 5 years later, Moyes was too easy a target for me......
  35. Feb 11, 2019

Revan Assumptionman

Ah, the game when you deliberately choose the worst match of him?

Did we ever lost twice to City and Liverpool, in addition to both Spurs and Chelsea in a single season? Did we ever get only 6 points in 10 matches against top 6 teams? Did we ever get only 1 victory against top 10?

In case you were wondering, the answers are yes, yes and yes. It all happened in the same season. You can guess who was the manager.
  36. Feb 11, 2019

Class of 63 Full Member

Well he's no Bielsa that's for sure, he's more an organiser who get's the best out of all his players.
  37. Feb 11, 2019

stevoc Full Member

I would agree with that mate clearly he did a good job at Everton but hasn't been able to replicate that elsewhere.

After the United job i wasn't convinced one failure made him a bad manager or past it. But the Sociedad, Sunderland and West Ham jobs point to him being one or both now.
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  38. Feb 11, 2019

The Mitcher connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches

Source? Or just making it up? If Sir Alex REALLY wanted Baines, he would have got him.
  39. Feb 11, 2019

stevoc Full Member

Sometimes it is the case though, look at this season. Now i agree this club has problems with the structure and areas where it could definitely modernize.

But Moyes was truly awful to an extent that i feel many still underestimate. He had that team punching way below its weight.

And he may have received a lot of criticism some unfair but his behaviour and shit stirring during and after the job haven't exactly helped with his popularity among the majority of United fans or generated much sympathy towards him.
  40. Feb 11, 2019

stevoc Full Member

Well thats certainly one way of describing him mate, and i would agree that he definitely did that at Everton. His subsequent clubs not co much, certainly not getting the best out of players anyway.

But looking at his career as a whole he isn't the most expansive manager in the way he sets his teams up. So i think it is fair for people to say he has largely been a negative/defensive/pragmatic manager.

Though at times his teams do play entertaining attacking football. Especially Preston and Everton towards the end.